Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Im_Special posted:

When you get to a certain age, you just start yelling at the clouds. I'm getting (probably there already) to that point too, gaming is mostly poo poo now a days, died with the PS2 gen. SNES - PS1 - PS2 era was the golden age for gaming (IMO). Now it's all live service bull poo poo, constant updates, Early Access (forever) games, infinite DLC (nothings "complete"), accounts/clients for miles... All you got now are clouds, when your favorite hobbie turns to poo poo.

I'm a big fan of the "constant updates" being listed as a negative thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone know if Steam Input allows you to bind two separate controllers into one virtual controller? I know you can bind a controller and keyboard into the same virtual controller but I'm not sure if you can combine two separate controllers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Deathloop already being 50% off is surprising to me. Think that one's a wait a year until it's on game pass game for me though.

Dishonored 0.5: Major's Mask you mean?

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's $25 USD on consoles. Arkane games always go on steep sales right after launch.

Nah, I looked it up on isthereanydeal and it took Dishonored 2 almost a year to reach that price point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Go play literally any other Dishonored game. It's the same thing but better in every way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I described Deathloop as something an Arkane cover band would produce. I think the studio head left after Prey, right?

Yeah and he took some other people with him. They're working on an actual immersive sim called Weird West that I'm very hype for.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West/

EDIT: Also, a reminder, Arkane's next game is a coop looter shooter. So yeah, there's nothing left there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

I haven't played Deathloop yet, but it was wild seeing all the journos going, "Finally, Arkane have done it!" around launch.

The most fun article headline I saw was something along the lines of "Deathloop solves all my issues with Immersive Sim genre." and the issue apparently was "too many choices".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Triarii posted:

One thing they finally did for the first time was make a game where you can use all of the fun gameplay options without the game telling you to feel bad about it.

Yes, all two of them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sinteres posted:

It's still weird to me that they leaned so heavily on the same thing in Dishonored 2 after a bunch of people said it was the only thing they didn't like about the first game. Arguably it's even more glaring in 2 since there are probably more cool combat powers.

Dishonored 2's protagonist's ability pool was like 75% non-lethal powers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wonder how Steam's automated refund system works.
I've refunded more than a 100 games total, easily, and I have definitely noticed that occasionally the system allows me to refund games that I've played for longer than 2 hours, for example. I think I had playtime of 4.5 hours on one game and it still gave me a refund. Although other times when you try to do that it will tell you that there's only a 2 hour limit.

I think the system is more lenient when the game in question has bad steam reviews.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shard posted:

Single Player RPGs are my favorite. Stuff with choices. Favorite games are Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect trilogy, Baldur's Gate that kinda stuff.

Disco Elysium

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Honest opinion, at 30 bucks is Cyberpunk 2077 worth picking up in it's current state?

Only if you're really excited about the concept.

I'd say it's worth 20 bux, being a 20-30 hour long linear story game with mediocre to bad gameplay. 30 bux is a bit of a stretch though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mescal posted:

"It's bad but it's worth $20" doesn't make any sense

The story is fairly entertaining but all the bullshit around it is frustrating and also there's only like 20 hours of story (including gameplay) in there and experiencing it is not worth more than maybe 20 bux IMO.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Doom Eternal is the best loving thing since sliced bread.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

crepeface posted:

In Doom Eternal you are now so heavily encouraged to use specific counters for demons that it can feel restrictive compared to Doom 2016 which is more open about how players approach the tactical puzzle. Which game you prefer is the classic honer vs innovator player split.

Ah yes, the innovator gameplay of "do I wanna left click enemies with supershotty until I win or do I wanna left click enemies with railgun until I win".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The hard weapon counters on mob enemies were much more objectionable.

Hard weapon counters aren't a thing until the DLCs and even then it's only two support enemies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

The biggest puzzle of Doom 2016: which runes to use so that I have essentially unlimited ammo.

Oh yeah, I forgot. That completely broke any difficulty of the second half over its knee.

I don't like talking poo poo about 2016, it was amazing, but there a massive difference in combat design quality between Eternal and 2016 that's as big as the difference between 2016 and most other FPSs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

If they gave Doom Eternal a style meter I think more people would have gotten it.

Ye.

I think the actual problem most people are having with Eternal is that it's not really an FPS game in a classic sense, it's of a completely different genre. It's a character action/spectacle fighter but with a first-person perspective.
2016 was just somewhere in between because they didn't want to go all the way in on it yet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nioh games are pretty funny because yes, they have a ton of souls-hard combat and bullshit hidden traps but at the same time you get a bunch of tools to complete bypass all that bullshit.

Sick of bullshit enemy ambushes? Just make them all visible on your radar.
Sick of bullshit ranged enemies? Just shoot them in the face from outside of their vision range.
Sick of bullshit fast/strong/tanky enemies? Just debuff them into oblivion so they can't do anything while you slice them into bacon strips.

Also doing double ki flux is the most mechanically (kinestetically?) satisfying gameplay mechanic ever.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Triarii posted:

I never really got this comparison. It's not like you have a big movelist with combo chains that let you air juggle enemies. It's a game where you put your crosshair on enemies and click to make them dead while avoiding their projectiles, but they added a couple of buttons you can press to give you resources with cooldowns.

By making every gun serve specific function rather than all of them being damage-sticks they ARE your movelist and just like in a character action game you're trying to pick right moves from your movelist to deal with current situation.

The amount of cooldowns in Eternal is actually a big weak spot in their design that I hope they improve in the next game by spreading those out across your guns.

EDIT: I hope that for their next game they take a peek at ULTRAKILL and copy some of it's ideas. Like the style meter and a parry button.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Nov 26, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

They did take that UI criticism to heart and patch in an option to have the main cooldowns displayed around the crosshair at least

That was a fantastic addition.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Random question. Has anyone made a step platformer/cinematic platformer since Another World?
Those games were so good but I haven't seen anything like it since.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee + Exoddus, kind of

Oh yeah, I forgot about those games. You're right.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alctel posted:

I loved Doom 2016 and then got Eternal and the graphics/visual design looked way worse, and the story was nonsense and I just couldn't get into it at all

You really liked that piss filter?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alctel posted:

I don't really know what you mean, I think 2016 looking better than eternal isn't that controversial
If you're legally blind maybe.
I can understand not liking the storytelling or the gameplay of Eternal but the graphics? Really?

I'm so glad that Eternal decided to have some actual colors instead of doing the lazy loving desaturated shooter thing and covering the camera lens in piss.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alctel posted:

Wasn't that dependent on the environment? I remember the outside mars levels being super red-shifted, hell being sorta sickly and inside environments being very crisp

Like my main memory from 2016 is how red all the Martian landscapes were

The space station levels did look nice, blue tinted and crispy, you're right, very pleasant to look at, but everything else has way too little saturation and it was basically monochrome. Hell being the absolute worst.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

You'll want to find a different screenshot, that's not from the final version of 2016 and a fair chunk of the effects work is missing in that shot.

Jack Trades posted:

That screenshot is literally from the Steam store page.

Hell still looked like that after release. Here's an image from the IGN post-release review.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Right now XCOM 2 has an issue of all the DLC not being smoothly implemented into the game at all.

I would almost recommend starting by beating the vanilla campaign without the DLC to start with.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

Goddrat, man! That’s the kind of poo poo that gets you un-banked. Then you turn to Bitcoin because “ No chargebacks” sounds good, and you end up losing your house because you enter a random 40-digit number wrong! :D

In all seriousness, though, how do you decide 1) what to purchase in the first place, and 2) how a game is bad enough to refund that quickly? I’ve got 50+ games I haven’t gotten to yet, bought because my research, WoM of other goons, and 80%+ off sales. If I’m really in the fence, I’ll look for a demo or, at worst, YouTube gameplay or Twitch streamers who I’ve observed over time to mirror my own preferences.

Has your credit card not sent you a “please stop chargebacks,” or does Steam charge you some other way that’s no big deal to refund? I’ve been using a reloadable prepaid card online for years, and I get Visa protection on buys, but if I get hacked I’m at most lose a $60 balance. Money is dear, but if my ID is stolen I can just get a new card altogether and cancel the old one.

If Steam (or GoG, Humble, Etc) gives no poo poo about refunding #s, I just haven’t been in the space long or in the position to need it. I’m not crapping on you, I am just an old and never needed to look into it!

A refund is not a chargeback. Steam can just drop me my money back to my credit card, or PayPal or just give me store credit (I used all of those options at some point).

The reason why I have so many refunds is because of the refund policy and also because I actually buy a lot of games too.
Sure, I might buy like 10 unknown indie games and refund 9 of them because they actually turned out to be terrible but that 10th game I will keep because it's a surprisingly good game that nobody knows about.
If the refund policy wasn't in place then I would never have risked my money on those indie games in fear of wasting it on garbage and thus would never have actually bought that 10th secretly good game.

It's a good system both for me and for Steam and for the developers.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

Just one question before I crack open DOS2: What are the most fun or stupid-fun classes to play? I don't mind accidentally setting it on fire if it's a conflagration of fun.

DOS2 doesn't have "classes" in the same way really and it would be pretty dumb to stick to a single school because all the powerful poo poo comes from combinations.
The easy ones are Hydro + Cryo, which lets you make everyone wet and then freeze the whole screen, Geo + Pyro, cover everything in oil and watch the world burn.

Of course there are more complex ways to combo abilities that will result in even more broken poo poo but just telling you straight away would be ruining the fun, IMO.
After Act 1 (first like 15 hours) you can freely respect your characters so don't be afraid to just experiment.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zotix posted:

What are some top RPGs on steam? Probably JRPGs. I know a few decent ones have come out the past year but Im out of the loop.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I actually hate JRPGs (most of them have boring combat and sleep-inducing stories), but the 3 good JRPGers that I've played are Yakuza: Like A Dragon, Tales of Berseria and Resonance of Fate.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Divinity OS2 is so loving good.

It's extremely rare that a turn-based RPG has a good combat system. Shame that Baldur's Gate 3 is stuck with having to use garbage D&D systems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baldur's Gate 3 is still in Early Access and will probably be in it until the end of next year.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Finally off work and trying D:OS2 again

lol I'm already stuck at chargen because i'm worried about picking the wrong/trap skills :bang:

Those skills cost like 200 gold which is nothing. You can literally just go to the shop and buy whatever skill you didn't pick.
Also I don't remember there being any particularly bad skills, they're all useful. It's more about how you use them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Section Z posted:

If you, like me, had World on PC as your first game. Then higher hype levels may be due to knowing "Oh that game was cool, and every question I've asked about Rise has been answered with 'They have that but they made that cooler with X' "

Except Lance. Every other weapon got what was unique to Lance and Lance didn't get anything new because apparently gently caress Lance players.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

One thing I like about DOS2 is that I don't have to rest in between most of my spells. They're just on cooldowns.

I hate having to rest to regain my spells. It's like the game doesn't want me to set a bunch of trash goblins on fire.

:hmmyes:

D&D is the worst.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

To be fair, are you even surprised at this point? Lance players have been getting hosed over since practically day one, the only time we actually got something new and good was World.

Not surprised, just disappointed. :negative:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rage 2 has the issue where all the fun powers/guns are less useful than just clicking heads, making them totally useless.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

For hunting horn to no longer be the least-used weapon, something had to take its place at the bottom of the usage stats

If that had to be lance, so be it

I'm happy for HH players but the dumpstered weapon should have been LS instead. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but games that have hubs that you need to run around every time to do whatever - buy food/eq/mission board - make me nope out of the game immediately. Does anyone really enjoy having to run around a hub to access the various stores and such? MH:W and Outriders both had this, and I immediately lost interest in continuing, as I could see myself doing the same thing ~hundreds of times depending on the length of the game. I get there are some short cuts here and there, but having to run around a redundant hub just seems pointless to me.

It's done for the sake of pacing.
It's the same reason why an action game doesn't instantly just put you in a new room full of baddies as soon as you've cleared out the previous room full of baddies.