Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just bought Records of Lodoss war: Deedlit in wonder labyrinth (what a title!) from a steam sale. Saw this run at last SGDQ but skipped most of the run because I immediately thought I want to play it myself and to avoid spoilers. Took a while! But as an avid Metroidvania fan it looked like just my thing.

Incidentally, lately I've been going through the games in the Castlevania: Advance collection, and Deedlit might have to wait until I finish with Aria of Sorrow, but at least there's some interesting stuff in the backlog (still need to play Harmony of Dissonance too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Transmute looks like it could be my jam but drat it looks like such a shameless Metroid clone. Which of course is not inherently bad.

Gotta try the demo but I hope they add their own flair to the genre as well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

Aeterna: Noctus is another Metroidvania I'm not sold on. I want to give it props for having hand-drawn animation for most enemies and the main character (as opposed to cut-out tweening), but the combat is unfortunately very stiff, and there's a lot of very flat level design... the screenshots show better theming and level design so I dunno why the opening area is so flat. Probably trying to mimic Hollow Knight, as this game ALSO has pins to buy for the map (and I bought a region map from the merchant and it didn't seem to do anything? Not sure if that was a bug or if I'm missing something). Thing about HK though is that seconds beyond the opening town you already have deep platforming and exploration in that game, here it's just flat each way to start off.

I had Aeterna noctus on my wishlist so I decided to try the demo out. The backstory is pretty bland and the narrator voice acting awful. The combat didn't really draw me in either, so I'm pretty wary on actually buying it now.

However I am gonna give Astlibra revision a try after seeing it in action now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I really liked Deedlit in Wonder labyrinth. A very nice SotN clone, though it was not difficult by any stretch. Don't think I ever died while beating it.

Returning here for a moment to say that I've died plenty of times on the first boss alone and the second area in general seems like a huge difficulty spike. It's crazy to think that you had such an easy time with it.

I'm guessing the Hollow Knight down stab/pogo style doesn't work here since Deedlit will constantly fall down and eventually take damage? At least in my experience.

e: Also the second area is filled with green-locked doors and I still haven't even found the yellow switch to unlock the yellow doors on the first stage.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 4, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There was/is a bundle sale for Acid Nerve developed games Titan Souls and newest release Death's door, so I picked them up for less than 20 combined (without soundtracks though). I had tried Titan souls previously and got my eye on Death's door too. From what I read it plays a bit like Link to the past, so I will give it a go.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been getting into Ender Lilies. Really nice atmosphere, good soundtrack.

The difficulty spike after second boss the witch seems pretty brutal. I'm level 25 or so and all the enemies in the Catacombs take me out in seconds. I've mostly been using the big hammer guy as standard and the whirlwind attack, but I think I may have to go back to Umbral knight because Gerrod doesn't one-shot enemies here anymore.

The parry is kinda hard to get right. Do people use the knight or the item? Seems like only the former does a counter, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I never really used any of the parries and just relied on constantly dodging through enemies, but my brother is near the end of the game and says the headless shield knight parry is extremely good for the whole game. The default item parry is weaker because its infinite.

I never really used gerrod and used umbral knight + dark witch eleine for my primaries for a majority of the game. I also never unequipped guardian siegrid once.

Umbral knight + Eleine is a good combo. I like Gerrod as my default since he hits hard and his attack arc is so big. I haven't found any ancient soul to upgrade Umbral yet, though, even though he's a starter spirit.

Now that I got Silva I'll probably use her out too. The aforementioned bossfight was pretty fun, just had to realize to stick close to her and shoot Eleine missilies for the last phase.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

If there's anyone who played Death's Gambit: Afterlife, can you give me a rundown on how the hell am I supposed to parry? The way it's described everywhere is press block + attack at the right moment but I simply cannot get this to work. There is another parry-type attack I can do with pressing the block at the right time, after this my character will do some kind of green counterattack but the way I see it on videos, there should be a big COUNTER! text on the screen.

I just can't get the timing down, haven't managed to get a single parry so I thought I'd ask if it's actually supposed to be like this.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who has 1,700+ hours on SCUM since it went EA in 2018, I can say it's a pretty fun game at that price, and it's being actively developed (current version is EA 0.6 and a lot of key features are missing, like the whole PVE side of the game with NPC's, quests, missions, lore, etc).

Time will tell how much of the dev promises will make it in the final game, but I can say I've enjoyed it with friends. I have my concerns and gripes but since it's still EA, a lot of things will likely get polished in time. It's also one of the best looking survival style games for sure.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Impressions of Scum: weirdly meditative, I love how in-depth the crafting and survival systems are? Given how much labor goes into building even a simple shelter this might be a dealbreaker for some but I found it incredibly satisfying.

I also love how the zombies are tied into the lore - they're "puppets", which is to say they're partly mechanical, they're the corpses of the previous players reanimated through science.

Also I died by eating an entire pumpkin, then drinking an entire bottle of water. My body just exploded from too much food, and that was that.

When we started playing SCUM one of our first experiences was my friend eating a whole watermelon and dropping dead soon afterwards. It used to fill your stomach immediately and you basically exploded.

The survival system is getting developed to be more complex all the time, they only recently added a working metabolism system and we still lacking stuff like proper diseases, clean/dirty water, windchill etc.

Also the devs have showcased modular base building system which will probably allow people to build all kinds of weird things instead of just rectangular fences.

e: as I wrote I've put a lot of hours in but I still love the excitement being in a town and suddenly hearing someone looting or shooting somewhere nearby. As someone who doesn't really play PVP or FPS games I'm definitely still not used to it and it always makes my heart beat a little faster.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 6, 2021

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've never played San Andreas and the other ones back in PS2 days so I'm interested to try (after it drops a bit in price, that is)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

haldolium posted:

I was just thinking about doing Northern Journey Awareness posting too.

The game is very good and the developer (Norwegian guy) is very active and nice, already fixed so many things and added QoL stuff in roughly a month since its release. It is also the worst offender for people with arachnophobia featuring all the spiders you hate doing exactly what you fear.

Absolute recommended, the DUSK dev even left a review to praise it on Steam.

Thanks for recommending this. It has a very unique graphic style and characters, reminding me of some folklore nightmare fuel. It's like a nordic Twin Peaks so far. Very strange atmosphere. The combat feels very janky though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Actually I have a progress question about Northern journey: I'm at Greenslit and wondering what to do next. I've opened the portal, went up the tower, shot with ballista, but since I don't have a pulley, I can't use any ropeways. I haven't found any other paths forward than Trollhole. Do I need to find a way to get to Nokkpond (for the pulley) or is Trollhole the right way for now?

It's got some jank, but it's the right kind of jank. Very atmospheric and fun to play. Already managed to sell the game for a couple of friends when I was streaming it earlier!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

If youve found both broken headlamp pieces then yes you should go to trollhole. Its one of the things you need to do before you can reach nokkpond.

I made my way to Nokkpond and called it a day there. What a great game, love it when you find a title you didn't know even existed and you end up spending the whole evening with it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I also put around 30 hours into Subnautica: Below Zero and I think it's too much of a rehash, that is to say, it's still the same great game that Subnautica was, but there's just no innovation. The Seatruck is kinda solving some issues that the Nautilus had but that's about it. I can't remember exactly how much of it there was in the original Subnautica but the walking on dry land... there is nothing I want to do less in Subnautica than walk for an hour or two on dry land. I consider that to be a huge step backward.

Compared to the original, I think it was a more condensed, story-driven experience and it kinda ends up suffering because of it. I'll spoiler just in case.

Oddly enough I was more invested in the story of the original and the nameless and voiceless protagonist than the expanded story characters of the follow-up, so it didn't really do much for me.

Instead of wandering around it's quite a bit tighter experience, smaller map, lots of story bits on dry land, gimmicks like the remote controlled penguin and I basically disliked all that. I enjoyed the original so much because there was a mystery involved in yammering around the map and you could do stuff at your own pace.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

La-Mulana 2 is IMO superior to the original. Movement feels better, and even though the puzzles are still somewhat cryptic, there's still some logic to them. Making notes feels really rewarding!

As for Hollow Knight-style games, the ones I've played recently are Blasphemous, Vigil: The longest night and Ender lilies. All are good but Ender lilies was simply great! Really enjoyed my playthrough, even if some parts of the game were a bit gimmicky. But the control felt good, there's a lot of combat options and the soundtrack was great.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Northern Journey lost me. The difficulty is all over the place, the combat is most of the time just tedious, interspersed with boss fights that seem to be designed around bunny hopping and circle strafing, only you have single-shot weapons that have long wind up animations and slow projectiles. It's the diving section though that broke me, can't see poo poo, don't know where to go, get attacked through the ground I'm walking on basically. I'm genuinely sad, the first five hours or so I thought this would be in the running for my game of the year.

I got through these parts but I can totally feel you. It feels to me too that some of the set pieces in the later (?) part of the game are just needlessly tedious and difficult, like the spot you mentioned. One was just earlier in the same area with the dragonflies. If you want to try again just keep following the pipe, blast your air flash (?) constantly to keep the little zombies at bay and keep looking back, the Nekk will follow you and you have to keep scaring him off. He will also follow you to the bottom, which I missed the first time and just thought I'm taking damage from the broken capsule leak.

I'm currently stuck at the fight with the witch in Sourwood and it doesn't feel good to run and dodge the attacks on such a narrow area.

I kinda feel like the game would've been better as an adventure game with exploration and a lot less combat, since the characters, the setting, world and the atmosphere is its greatest strength, the janky combat not so much. For example I loved the little forest rave thing with the band, the surly inventor and basically everything that's going on in the village. (Petworm! Come back!)

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah itch.io basically out GOGd GOG. Those mega bundles did wonders for them.

I just find it insane how terrible the client and store is. Theyre literally giving away free games and I still wont bother with it. I used the client for GTAV and that was enough.

This really puzzles me too. With all the money they've been putting into Epic store, how can they not put any resources into making it actually usable? There's no additional information, screenshots, discussions, reviews, nothing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FWIW I enjoyed Mordhau with my gaming group, just some mindless sword action. There's a lot of people simply out to troll you by making dwarf characters, being impossible to hit and clipping through scenery to throw firebombs at you.

But my usual play experience is running into the thick of battle, aiming for some dude and then getting ganked by another guy, so realistic, I guess. It's fun for a while, especially if you with friends and try to do stuff together, but I could never play it long enough to get good or the best looking gear, so I just go in, look like a hobo peasant and hope to live long enough to kill some nobleman Sir Gank-a-lot.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone try Sands of Salzaar? It kinda looks interesting but from what I hear the jank level is pretty high.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1094520/Sands_of_Salzaar/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any opinions on Greedfall? After I'm done with RDR2 story, I'm looking for some open world stuff before Elden ring drops. I have played DA: Inquisition and Dragon's dogma and enjoyed them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for all the Astalon: Tears of the earth recommendations, that seems like right up my alley.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lih posted:

ender lilies is a dreadful slog and i don't know how it got any praise at all, but i only got a few hours into it before getting sick of it. the combat is dreadful, it's going for a 2D dark souls sort of thing but they forgot to make any of the enemies fun to fight at all and just settled for making everything a damage sponge. there's also little in the way of interesting exploration or abilities. i guess the presentation is generally nice but is that really enough to fool people?

Personally, I also rank Ender lilies pretty high on the "not-quite-Hollow-Knight-but-close" list of recent games of this genre. Pretty much up there with Salt & Sanctuary and Blasphemous.

I thought that basically all the sub-boss fights reward you with interesting exploration and abilities. Even I thought of using them to sequence breaks but the movement you get just normally takes you all over as well. I don't know how far you made it into the game, but one of my biggest gripes was the belly flop dodge - as cute as it looks - and it gets replaced by a real badass spear dash after a certain bossfight which also improves movement.

Some parts were definitely a bit frustrating and I'm by no means a good metroidvania player, but I enjoyed it a lot.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Here's me, actually playing games that I like, instead of games that I hate

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Play posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StVLDhk0Fog

what a visual style, so nice. couldn't figure out when it came out though

Animal well looks so good, thanks for the tip. Hopefully sooner than later, although the Q1 is pretty jam-packed already.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing Astalon: Tears of the Earth, which is a nice metroidvania/roguelike (you die, you start from the beginning, where you can buy upgrades and there are save points) but a couple things annoy me a lot:

- There are three characters with unique abilities and certain rooms can be cleared with one of them (one can wall-jump, one can break certain barriers etc.) but to switch between the characters, you need to do so on a save point campfire, which are scattered around. So if you find out you need another character to proceed, you need to backtrack and switch to them. later on you unlock the ability to switch on the fly, which I feel like would've been needed as default

- Backtracking in general. If you die, you start over from the beginning.You unlock some fast travel mechanics, but generally they will still put you far away from where you died. Then you need to wade through hostile areas just to get to where you died and hope you don't lose any health while getting there. It's miserable.

- The fact that the upgrades don't tell you what they do until you have bought them. This annoys me greatly. You basically have to open a google page every time you are buying upgrades, unless you have a super memory. (You also need an upgrade to tell you what the various items you collected do.)

- One thing that's probably also personal preference is that the melee fighter is always at a disadvantage since most enemies just beeline for you and his melee attack isn't fast enough to take 'em out before you take a hit, which of course is a problem ranged characters do not have. This might change later when you get more upgrades on him, I'm only still on the third area overall.

I really like the shovel knight-esque aesthetic and great use of color palette, the adventuring is fun and all, but these little things add up and the backtracking is one that is really putting me off from the game.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 13, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly the aforementioned XCOM 2 mod to start the mission timer when you break stealth is enough to make it a much more enjoyable experience.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oblivion is the oldest Elder scrolls game I've played, so I guess it's as good of a time as any to give Daggerfall (Unity) a go.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

:perfect:

Also, Rogue Legacy 2 is out from early access and officially released as 1.0 yesterday. I decided to wait for full release and picked it up now, but a friend says it's very good, better than the original, so I'm hopeful. Never got around finishing the original, I think the cave/mines boss was too hard for me in the end.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I love love love the first one and was kinda disappointed when people started saying the second one wasnt nearly as good.

Im hoping its good because I am waiting to get it.

I'm 100% opposite here, I never finished the first Rogue Legacy due to extreme difficulty and boring slog, the sequel so far has added a lot of new stuff / mechanics like fast travel portals you pay gold to unlock, FINALLY and classes feel adequately varied. I like it more so far than the original and I've had fun with it. Exploration is fun, but of course you have to have some kind of inclination for platforming puzzles (although a lot of them are very doable so far).

Compared to first RL control feels a lot tighter, it's easier to do the spin kicks, air dashes and pogo from enemies.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 30, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

That list of monthly releases has made me wonder what's going on with Salt and Sacrifice. It still seems firmly on track for May 10th, but no Steam page is odd. I wonder if the dev took an Epic deal and is trying to keep it hidden or something.

Well, it is listed on Epic store, at least.

Nevertheless it's a must buy if it's out on the 10th, I absolutely loved the original.

e: I found out news flat out saying it's an Epic exclusive, so it doesn't seem to be hidden

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

No Wave posted:

Rogue Legacy 2:

It's basically really, really good. It's also very challenging unless you grind a ton, you get to see what the devs consider appropriate difficulty during special challenges with pre-set stats and they're pretty ball-busting. The gameplay is excellent for a metroidvania and while the classes aren't exactly balanced the weapons feel quite different and you're bound to enjoy a few of them (Ronin being one of them for sure). You'll form strong opinions on which classes are good and which ones aren't and not everyone will agree.

The infamous RL1 metaprogression is absolutely present and central to the game though so if you don't like metaprogression do not buy. It's actually a bit more irritating than RL1 because RL1 didn't have much to its gameplay beyond grinding the tower whereas RL2 the gameplay is really good, they made the dash cancel everything and allow everything to cancel you out of your dash so there's plenty of fun to be had. A few of the bosses are frustrating but a few (like the final storyline boss) are pretty excellent.

As a warning there are tons and tons of gameplay mechanics gated behind NG+ cycles, you really are expected to beat the game multiple times to see what the game has to offer.

Everyone I've talked to agrees that Ranger is the worst class by far. I've enjoyed Barbarian for the sheer power of melee attacks and Astromancer for the unique movement skill and effective AOE basic attack. I only just unlocked Ronin so I've yet to try it out.

The house rules are an excellent way of adjusting difficulty if/when it starts to feel too tough. You can adjust them well enough so it will feel challenging but not unfair.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I can see how it can feel frustrating, and at the later stages I was depending on house rules to make it a bit easier to make it less of a slog. The last stage especially was pretty rough. But still I had a lot of fun with it, even though I'm not a very good player of this kind of games. Compared to RL1, it has more variety and classes feel adequately different + the different relics spice things up nicely. Plus the movement feels good, it's fun to bounce off different things.

For bosses my go-to solution was usually to take the barbarian and hit them until they were dead. Barbarian sucks for aerial combat but many of the bosses you can just wail on them from the right spot with a bit of positioning.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Even though I never played Alwa's awakening, I've been having fun with the sequel, Alwa's legacy. Thanks for the heads-up for the sale earlier. It's a fun puzzle platformer, but I'd be hesitant to call it a metroidvania since even though you can go all over and collect orbs (upgrade currency), the actual progress path has been quite linear so far (made it in the Sylvan temple).

But it definitely scratches the metroidvania itch by giving you lots of places where you go "Oh, I need [ability] to get there" or "there's got to be something hidden over there but I can't get it yet". And some places where I think I SHOULD be able to get to with my current abilities but I just can't figure out.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Lots of people do seem to be enjoying it, though? I'm honestly puzzled - usually a game as bad as you're saying would be like, obviously, clearly bad to everyone playing it. I haven't tried it, going to wait for a deeper sale. Just wondering what the truth of the matter is here.

I think reading back on this thread you'll find that the majority of posters who played thought it's a good and fun game. But I guess it just doesn't connect with everyone, which is totally fair

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

ymgve posted:

Speaking of, Salt & Sacrifice is out tomorrow.

on Epic

Can't wait, I really liked the atmosphere of the original and me cutting down every hapless mob with my giant demon scissors of doom

A lot of people I know really hated to weird character design that somehow resembles those east european animations from the 70's but I thought it was fine. Added to the weird feel of the game.

Just finished with Rogue Legacy 2 and Alwa's Legacy so my calendar is clear for the game and then endless cursing and going "the first boss is too hard".

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

We Were Here Forever is out today, the fourth game in the We Were Here series. I've played the first few puzzles and it's been solid so far. each game in the series has been substantially better than the last so I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of puzzles this one has down the line.

for those unfamiliar We Were Here is a first person puzzle series for 2 players where puzzles require a lot of voice communication and asymmetrical roles. the players are usually separated so you need to verbally describe what you can see to your partner and work out what you're supposed to do. they're extremely budget, but the puzzle design is highly varied and challenging enough to be engaging without ever getting too absurd, and there aren't many other games like them.

(from we were here 3)

I really enjoyed the earlier We were here - games with a friend, although some of the puzzles in the later ones were a bit complicated. Gotta pick that one up at some point.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

Yeah I've only killed a few of them, but if the entire game is just chasing mid bosses I'll be disappointed. S&S didn't have the greatest bosses in the world but it had lots of cool ones.

There do seem to be fixed non mage bosses though, so they may just be the primary prey to acquire materials for gear, which isn't necessarily a bad idea.

Have to see how it plays out, the first game is easily one of my favorite souls likes in terms of atmosphere and scale so I hope this one lives up to that.

Regarding the loot you get from the "hunt" mission minibosses; do you later get more of the same type of items (fire, ice etc.)? I'm really torn on the crafting because I can only get one item from the blacksmith with the loot I got from first one and I'd really want several items from it.

Playing the same kind of character I did in original S&S: fighter with the biggest weapon I can find

Also, on the left hand corner there are two numbers: one is salt, but I haven't figured out what the other one is?

About the whole online co-op side: essentially you need to use guiltless shard (ember) to non-spellmark yourself (hollowing) and then you can use Golden candle to search for a co-op friend? How do you set yourself as ready to help someone else?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 11, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Theres roaming versions of mages once you beat a named one you can farm (they get kinda annoying which is one of my gripes)

The other indicator is how much silver you have

Youll find an item called a Pale Candle if you explore more of the first area, the sunbros covenant is also in the first area

Cheers! Any ideas where I can farm the fire guy? I want to make the level 2 greatblade from his stuff.

Currently just faffing about the first area. I beat the tier 2 water guy but the tier 3 poison guy will probably be too hard due to the green knights roaming about the cellar. I think I'll have to move on to the second story area now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Salt & Sacrifice post:

Seems like a lot of people are salty about Salt & Sacrifice simply because it's not The First Game But With More The Same (posters on reddit even say this directly). The mechanics have changed a bit, but I'm having a great time so far. I haven't played Monster Hunter, but apparently the Mage hunting is a bit like that. It has a hub where you upgrade stuff, buy things and level up.

The Co-Op side seems to work pretty well and you can find a co-operator fast and also get summoned pretty fast. Of course there's not really a way to control it (AFAIK) so if you want to farm a certain elemental boss you won't always know where you'll be summoned at. It's sometimes funny when you summon someone, you almost immediately get an invader and then immediately after a hunter for the said invader. It's pandemonium and I love it. Also the enemies from different groups certainly don't like each other and regularly fight each other and even trigger traps, which I found hilarious.