Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Katana Zero did a much better job of building upon the Hotline Miami formula. It's not <$5 and only 3-4 hours long, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

physical videogame soundtracks are funko pops for people who are too cool for funko pops

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

K8.0 posted:

I mean sure, there may be niche exceptions, but in general, selling your soundtrack is almost certainly going to generate a lot less revenue than treating the soundtrack as advertising. The value proposition on publishing it for free and encouraging people to use it with attribution beats the pants off trying to sell it.

edit: Spotify is garbage got it

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 9, 2020

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is the Mega Man X Legacy collection a good set of ports on steam? I see some reviews complaining about input lag, but I'm wondering if it'll even be noticeable to someone who is Bad At Video Games™ like me.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is it a roguelike or a real game?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh snap, I thought that was tomorrow! Can’t wait to get home and finish that puppy off. It’s kind of crazy to think of how different my life is now from when I started playing that game nearly 7 years ago.

I think review copies (and reviews) are out, but it's not until tomorrow us plebs get it.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQCpJ6eOBpo
Really don't understand the point of a gritty, realistic King's Bounty. The part of that video where they show footage from Legend looks so much more lively.

I hope there's... More to the visual and character design, because this looks like some groggy kingdom come deliverance garbage where you must play as a bland white dude surrounded by bland white dudes and tradwives because anything else would be immersion breaking.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 4, 2020

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm interested in Fell Seal from this month's Humble Choice, but I have zero interest in any of the other games-- but currently the lowest price for Fell Seal is about the same price as a 3 game sub. Anyone willing to split a bundle with me or sell me their key for a price?

EDIT: Thanks goferchan!

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 16, 2020

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

MGSV is great. It's just reached that point where the only people left who've played it and still stay in the Steam thread will pick it apart for all its flaws (which are all multiplayer or story related). But the fundamental gameplay is fantastic, and at 4 bucks it's a must buy.

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for either a Puzzle Quest-style "casual" game or a light, turn-based roguelike-ish thing that doesn't require constant attention? I'm stuck in endless useless Zoom meetings instead of doing actual work now that one of my clients made their whole staff WFH, and I need something to occupy myself with that doesn't require a ton of attention. I played through and beat Ancient Enemy in two days of meetings, so I need something new.

This might be a bit off but easy SRPGs work really well for me. King's Bounty was one I played a long a time ago during calls, more recently Fell Seal (and you can crank up the combat speed to 200% if you want).

Real life option is to turn off your video (because you have a 'bad connection') and spend that time working out. I do that all of my weekly check in meetings and it's been an ok replacement for my gym time.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Cardiovorax posted:

If you have ever played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, it's basically exactly like that game. The biggest downside I've found so far is that the gameplay is incredibly slow, just like FFTA. As in, slow in terms of how quickly things happen. I've sat through more than a few fights where I just went "Christ, please let me be done with this already" because everything takes so long.

It does have a 200% speed option for both animations and walk speed. I used it for all the normal battles and then turned it down to 120% for boss battles and it wasn't too bad.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I think you spend too much time with white people if you confuse dabbing with dapping

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

How twitchy is Outer Wilds?

I play most of my games through in-home streaming as my gaming PC has become our living room HTPC since Ms. Rona showed up. It's ok... It's great 95% of the time, but every so often I'll get 5-10 seconds of lag, which is works for turned based RPGs but not for a game like Doom Eternal. Would Outer Wilds be playable under these circumstances?

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 25, 2020

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Huh, had to look it up and San Andreas (which is the first GTA to go balls out with the minigames IIRC) is from 2004 while Yakuza came out in 2005. I guess it's a coincidence.

I personally think of it as aping Shenmue, which came out in 1999. I haven't played Shenmue II or III but it looks like based on reviews Yakuza is a better successor.

I picked Kiwami up after putting it down for a year and I'm enjoying it much more. Initially I had started playing it right after 0 and it felt too much like a retread. Though I just finished the Ali Brothers substory and uh... some pretty strong anti-black undertones there.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Idk about Yakuza 2 but 0 and Kiwami are both pretty terrible about foreigners, and have quite transphobic side stories. Xenophobia is not as big of the plot in Kiwami as it was in 0, though.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Xarbala posted:

There was a substory in the original 1 that was pretty notoriously bad about that, I heard Kiwami 1 changed it.

If it's the one about the fast running trans woman, it's still pretty bad. Then there's also the fact that Kiryu doesn't beat up women-but beating up trans women is OK, because in the world of yakuza they're really men. Same thing in 0 with the trans real estate baron. Every time a trans woman or person in drag appears, it's always iterated that they're 'really a man' and people show disgust. It's hella transphobic.

Edit: I'm not cis, fwiw. I personally rolled my eyes and moved on, but that's b/c I have low standards for Japanese entertainment of that era. I expect xenophobia/racism/transphobia and prepare myself for it.

Edit 2: I also really enjoyed both games in spite of it, and am excited to get Kiwami 2 next time it's on sale. But they do not handle trans people well at all. One thing that was cool, however, was the lesbian hostess girl, I really enjoyed that plotline, and how you could have Kiryu himself say he could be open to dating men. It was a nice touch.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 18, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Given how the level of nuance in which other minorities (sexual and otherwise) are depicted in the series, the latter reading is 100% galaxy brain bullshit.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What happened to the dungeon crawler genre? I remember a few years ago there was a revival with Legend of Grimrock and Might & Magic X, both of which I really loved. I tried LoG 2 but I lost interest in it after awhile because of the lack of direction- I'm open to restarting it, but when I look at other games, they seem like they're for grognards who love the Wizardry series.

I couldn't get into Labryinth of Refrain because I find the Disgaea-esque music and character design to be incredibly grating, and I hear Stranger of Sword City is super groggy.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

StrixNebulosa posted:

They're out there! Not as many as I'd like, but there are more titles you should check out that you've probably missed.

Are any of these Pillars of Eternity-type games where they lean into adding QoL improvements that a filthy casual like me would find frustrating?

For example, if I read the reviews for Stranger of Sword City, the top review mentions that to beat the game you need to follow a guide from level 1, otherwise you'll get insta-killed by bosses. You can also build a completely nonviable party and have to literally start the game over.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 13, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The 7th Guest posted:

Ys IX: Monstrum Nox

Okay.. where to begin. Hmmm. So, I've played the Ys series up through Celceta, and the main thing that has put me off from playing more Ys is.. well, Celceta. Actually it's more than that. It's that since Ys Seven, the series has moved away from the hyperspeed whirling dervish action of the Napishtim/Oath/Origins trilogy, and more towards generic hack and slash. You still move pretty quickly, and some characters swing their swords kinda quickly, but it's not the malestrom of swings and bounces that I love modern Ys for.

If you haven't yet, play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. While it's a completely different genre, it's the only other game I've played that captures the fast paced action and buttrock combination that the 2D Ys games do.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Should I buy "Grey Goo"

If you haven't bought it yet, I have a key from an old bundle I can give you.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Dishonored: Death of the Outsider?

I bounced really hard off of it because of the lack of customisation and the weird mana system. It felt more limited in how you could navigate the world and I quit two hours in because the playstyle it wanted to push you toward wasn't something I really enjoyed.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mescal posted:

What am I missing?

Divine Dash.

Serious answer: it gets easier to avoid damage once you start unlocking Talents from the Mirror of Night, and get a better understanding of the best playstyles for different boons.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Switch is very comfortable imo.
Idk about the lite, but the switch is.. Ok. More comfortable than the 3DS, but the compromises they made for the detachable joycons make it uncomfortable.

The analog sticks are dainty and have serious durability issues. To the point at which the European Commission is doing an investigation into it. The 'dpad' is four separate buttons. And your hands will cramp up-there's a reason that the satisfye grip and hori split pads are two of the most common recommendations in the switch thread.

My goofy Razer Kishi phone controller is more comfortable.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 15, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Yeah, I was planning on replacing my dead macbook with a new one. But one with enough ssd space/ram costs nearly 1400 bux. For the same price I could get the most expensive gabe boy and a used laptop...

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Is this what trying to buy a PS5 is like

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Revitalized posted:

Steam locked me out for saying I was attempting too many purchases in too short of a time. RIP

Same. Can't even add funds to my wallet now.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

For every PC Gamer™ I know, there are five people who only play Civ or Crusader Kings on clapped out work laptops.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I don't think the genre is for you. Any RPG based on a PnP RPG is going to lean into that, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered to get the license.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

goferchan posted:

Steam keys are $3.99 on Newegg right now which brings you out to a pretty drat agreeable 7 cents/hour dollars to entertainment ratio if you spend as much time with the game as I did lol.

edit: Actually that link may not work, try this one https://www.newegg.com/sega-yakuza-0/p/N82E16832203319

If anyone in the EU/UK is curiuous, it's also on sale at fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/y...cj_aid=13797872

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Did any goons get Astria Ascending?

Steam reviews are mixed but it sounds like the kind of jrpg I could sink into for a while.

It's on gamepass if you have that. I played it for about an hour.

It's really pretty, and the combat system seemed decent, but it's missing a lot of QoL features. You can't skip individual lines of dialogue and there's no battle speed control (which imo is mandatory for any turn based jrpg). I'm hoping they'll address those in patches and I can get back to it then.

A lot of characters with their tits out, and it seems like underwear is optional.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bofast posted:

Calling the protagonist "very horny" is quite the understatement, really. In-game it's even used as justification for his reaction times being noticably improved in one or two situations.
Some of the bad guys are also weirdly horny, so at least it's somewhat consistent.

If you've ever watched My Hero Academia, the protag is the personification of Mineta. The only women he doesn't view as sex objects are either over 40 or under 14.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

RBA Starblade posted:

So he views 14 and 15 year olds as sex objects?

The youngest character Date creeps on is 18 (I forgot whether she was 17 or 18). TBF, the game does kinda avoid all that by not having any adolescent female characters except for his ward, who is 12.

By the standard of japanese visual novels the horny/creepy score is a little worse than average. But if you're coming in from playing like... any other genre of game, Date is probably going to be the horniest/creepiest protagonist you've run into.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

shut up about the ps5 and demon's souls this is the steam thread

has anyone tried wildermyth multiplayer? is it worth doing if your friend(s) dgaf about combat.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I haven't played Wingspan online, but the board game is absolutely one of my favourites.

If anyone has a spare key (or two!) I'd be happy to throw a few bucks your way.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Any non-MMO games with lots of dress-up/costume options?

There's a part of my brain that really likes RPGs and action games with lots of costume/gear options. Most MMOs I play I hit max level then immediately spend the rest of my time hunting down gear and costumes that I think look cool.

There any single player games that scratch that itch? Needs good art direction - stuff like the Divinity series/Pathfinder etc don't hit it in the same way b/c tbh the armor/character design is... bland to terrible.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

You're definitely on with Animal Crossing. The first part of my daily routine was hitting up the tailor to see what new outfits I could assemble.

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. I think Monster Hunter World/Rise will scratch that itch for sure.

What I mean by art direction is... Anime or high fantasy? FFXIV, Code Vein, Dark Souls 3 all are good examples of games that I really enjoyed the dress-up with. I must live through my beautiful genderless bois

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

SimonChris posted:

Is Control worth playing if I don't care about the action and just want a 3D version of the SCP wiki?

Use the accessibility/difficulty options to set it to auto aim and one hit kills. Then the game becomes a fun investigative platformer with occasional bouts of rapid clicking.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 25, 2021

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bofast posted:

In my opinion Human Revolution was great apart from the unavoidable boss fights being rather annoying to do non-lethal.

Didn't they fix that in the Director's Cut?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Sinteres posted:

Edit: Also Black Panther was obviously highlighted for a while as the most important movie ever made despite being pretty mediocre.

The rest of the MCU is junk food, but I'll defend Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok to death because they injected (semi) radical politics into blockbuster films, which is a rarity regardless of universe/genre.

Like Thor Ragnarok is all about the horrors of colonialism, but most people miss it because big muscle men fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Gorn Myson posted:

Nah. I get why people would get fed-up of the ubiquity of the MCU, especially when it's fans throw around absurd ideas like Black Panther and Thor Ragnarok being even remotely politically radical.

It's good for a blockbuster. Point out a movie with a 100m+ budget that even nears either one.

Not a fan of the rest of the universe. But both movies hit pretty well with black and Indigenous activists and scholars and that's good enough for me over some (probably) yt poster.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 13, 2022