Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is just a faster version to do what they were already doing before. A shame because I'd really like to see them invent a movie or two based purely on what an algorithm suggests. Maybe a horror thriller starring Kathy Bates, Keanu Reeves and Quvenzhané Wallis is really what the audiences wanted all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This whole trailer is just Tom Hardy squinting

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I Am Mother is a cool new-ish sci-fi film that's on Netflix. It seems to have passed most people unseen though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is a pro click, I can't stop laughing

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They are 100% gonna lose money on this Mulan thing, no way enough people will pay $30 to watch it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They must be paying out of their rear end to insure these projects

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wish more films went the direction of the Lord of the Rings in the sense that I don't recognize every single one of their actors

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Disney's CFO is now bemoaning the backlash to Mulan being filmed in Xinjiang.

I continue to wonder how these tentpole productions fail to do reputational due diligence. Before big-dollar transactions, major corporations hire intelligence firms to assess their reputational risks. It involves digging up info on relevant personnel as well as anticipating possible angles of PR backlash. It's considered good corporate governance.

If you pay the tens of thousands it costs to commission such a report, you'd catch red flags like filming near detention camps and hiring sexual predators.

Of course, it would equally flag things like an actor being a pro-Hong Kong activist. Risk management cuts both ways.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are they bringing back drive-in theaters and outdoor movie screenings yet because those would be pretty okay if you do it carefully whereas on the other hand an indoor movie theater is basically a COVID death trap

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I just feel like I missed something because my understanding was that masks work

Even if you're in poor ventilation, if you are wearing a mask and the other people breathing the same air are wearing masks, nobody will transmit or contract COVID, and in fact there was at least one potential superspreader event that got averted (with nobody getting sick, not even asymptomatically) because everyone was wearing a mask

Like, this virus is scary poo poo, but the advised precautions for going out in public seem to be pretty much an ironclad "do these things and you will not get COVID" situation rather than a "you might make your chances slightly better but you're probably still hosed" one
There's absolutely no guarantee that the rest of the audience wear their masks properly for the entirety of a three-hour movie

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Warner Bros. decision seems premature. It's not unthinkable to imagine the vaccines will have tempered the pandemic by summer 2021.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

looks great but not sure i'm ready for the redemption arc of nate parker

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Ask ten people who watch 300, and nine probably tell you Spartans were loving badass and Persians were weird sissies or whatever.

The framing device was minimal at best.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

G-Gundam already exists and is loving incredible.

https://i.imgur.com/VghRLKf.mp4
That windmill seems like it would get in the way of the robot’s fighting more than anything

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's me I'm the one who created a rereg to whine about thread titles

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

the show takes place in the ladies washroom and all the characters are transwomen and ciswomen

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Thought it was an actual picture of Diana.

I'm insanely psyched for this because Pablo Larrain's 'Jackie' was one of my favorite films of the decade. So gorgeous and haunting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dunno, I could see a common menu simulate a kind of shared experience for streaming releases. This one's kind of a lazy cash-in for a poo poo film but I could imagine Harry Potter dorks eating whatever dumb food Harry Potter eats while watching the latest Harry Potter release together.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Not a big fan of Adam Ellis but lol apparently the film makers contacted him and tried to ask him to promote the film for free, and when he said "pay me" they just pretended he didn't exist but still named him as an influence in the interviews

Like steal better dumbasses
They probably would have gotten away with it if they just didn't reach out to him at all

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Her post was hella dumb and wrong, but seems odd to call it anti-Semitic, as io9 does.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

aware of dog posted:

In other ZS, but not Justice League content,
https://twitter.com/cbr/status/1361428400154492929?s=21
Oh boy, finally we’ll see King Arthur on the big screen
What bad fortune that he again has to
code:
touch a fanboy holy bible
the poor thing

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't recall seeing it mentioned previously, but Netflix just paid $450 million to get exclusive rights to Knives Out 2 and 3, which is the first I've heard about sequels
I’m surprised they don’t just make a TV series out of it. A light-hearted whodunnit sounds like it’d be good for serialization.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Weird, surreal, ethereal, hyperstylized should be the way these Arthurian films go. Too many myths and legends get told as boring historical epics.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bond is co-owned by MGM and Eon. Eon is basically just two film producers in London.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was baffled that they were speaking Cantonese. It's a Cantonese movie adaptation of a Japanese game about a Chinese novel. My brain's falling apart at whether Chinese nationalists are gonna hate this or not.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The premise of this movie reads like a writer's room joke. "What if John Wick but Nicholas Cage and pig?"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Jurassic Park is my go-to example of how pervasive CGI has come to completely ruin the movie experience.

The special effects from the original have aged very well, the velociraptor scene in the kitchen looks as though it could have been shot yesterday.

Exhibit A-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The lighting, the presence, it feels real and the tension is real because these animals are rendered convincingly.

Exhibit B-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q97r7TbmUTU

If anything, the technical expertise between these two shots has noticeably regressed in time. Where are the innovations that 22 years should have afforded?

The Jurassic World raptors look like cartoons. it's hard to feel threatened over a vacuous nothing that's obviously added in post. Art and technology are both iterative processes, seeing progress being made before your eyes is gratifying and a big part of the cinema draw.

The thought that there are people walking around who hold the belief that the original Jurassic Park is equal to the crap they're selling now just steams my hams.
The second scene does look like a piece of crap for a 2015 major blockbuster lol. It reminded me of Beast Wars.

The direction is also unmistakably worse -- the dinosaurs and Chris Pratt are rarely in the same frame, it keeps cutting back and forth like a talk show.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Conservatives and liberals terrorize and hunt each other and it turns out it was all a big misunderstanding

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

I want to see a cut of this that's just the extremely creepy stand-in they used for the CG dog on set

https://twitter.com/SlamsFist/status/1331332358335832067
I've got a tiny bit of the phobia of holey stuff and boy that thing is hosed up

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So bad

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I did not need these tweets in my life

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's not inaccurate that some POC -- male and female alike -- look to date white people exclusively. Whether that's internalized racism or societal indoctrination or pure happenstance, who the gently caress knows. But society does place a premium on white appearances and that certain POC are hugely disfavored as dating partners. It's a touchy subject and I'd rather it get discussed meaningfully than dismissed outright because of some bad tweeter.

But yes, that person's tweets are awful and sassing someone's girlfriend is for sure not the way to do this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Magneto in particular always has the issue that “holocaust survivor” becomes increasingly untenable as an origin the farther we get from WWII.
What's wrong with it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Funny that he's surrounded by dudes in nearly all of those covers. Baldie's just not a sex icon.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone create a thread for the Green Knight so someone doesn't inevitably spoil it for everyone else

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean, how do you do that properly? What is the right way to do a live action version of that?
They made sonic right, so it can’t be that hard.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Funny, or sad, that the guy who made Spotlight is now twisting the facts on a real-life sexual assault (and murder) case

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Last I checked, Corden doesn't even get good ratings, though I assume netowrks are now considering things like YouTube views too. Even then I'm not sure how well he's doing there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Coen Brothers are apparently splitting up.

https://nofilmschool.com/coens-on-a-break

quote:

I'm so used to typing "the Coen Brothers" that I forget at times they are two individual people with their own artistic interests. Well, the upcoming The Tragedy of Macbeth was written and directed by only Joel Coen, making it his first solo outing.

Ethan Coen told the Los Angeles Times in 2019 that he was “giving movies a rest” in order to explore things like plays and other ventures.

But now, the brothers' longtime composer Carter Burwell said on a recent episode of the “Score” podcast that Ethan is done with movies for a while, and that the two brothers were going their separate ways.

He elaborated, saying, “Ethan just didn’t want to make movies anymore. Ethan seems very happy doing what he’s doing, and I’m not sure what Joel will do after this. They also have a ton of scripts they’ve written together that are sitting on various shelves. I hope maybe they get back to those. I’ve read some of those, and they are great. We are all at an age where we just don’t know… we could all retire. It’s a wonderfully unpredictable business.”

My heart stopped a little at the idea of any or all of them retiring, but I get it. Working in this town is getting harder and harder, especially with studios favoring intellectual property and tentpoles. The Coens are no strangers to working with streamers, having released The Ballad of Buster Scruggs onto Netflix.

Joel Coen's The Tragedy of Macbeth will follow suit, but this time with Apple TV+. A24 is producing the movie, which will be theatrically released by A24 followed by global launch on Apple TV+. It will have its world premiere at the 2021 New York Film Festival on September 24, 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Eggnogium posted:

Same. Also there’s a watermark that drifts around the perimeter and is pretty annoying.
That's insane. Paying full price to watch some dumbass watermark bounce around, what an insult. As if the watermark is really going to protect the film from determined pirates.