Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The only negative review I've seen of it said it's slightly weaker than last year because overall the ensemble spend less time together on screen in favour of more character specific adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

8one6 posted:

Shockingly enough he didn't do that for the Expanse.

Well we never got to the seasons with Duarte.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DaveKap posted:

I talked to a Trek nerd who said this episode means the show is either an AU or will have some kind of a mind wipe in the future because in Amok Time, Chapel doesn't recognize T'Pring (saying as much on-camera) and didn't know Spock was engaged. I'm not a ToS-head so I thought I'd throw that out there and see what you folks think.

Also if this is the last we get to see of SNW due to the strike and P+ and whatnot, I really hope Mount moves on to a leading role in a long-lasting series where he gets to just do exactly the same thing he's currently doing.

Didn't Chapel and T'Pring interact already last season quite extensively?

I'd be happy with SNW being an AU in the end, so that the series can carry on forever into Kirk's leadership and beyond, but realistically it's just a minor continuity change the writers will entirely ignore because it serves the story better.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

God every time I go back to look it's dumber than i remember, I keep blanking out how bad it was

https://i.imgur.com/D59eMY1.mp4

Did they ever try to justify this or explain how the gently caress it makes any sense?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Did they reveal what the adult Gorn look like then?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

"The Enterprise-G got blown up so we put the F back into service and we'll just make a new G later. In the meanwhile, here's the new USS Titan-B, which actually looks like the real Titan design everyone knows and loves by now. We're very sorry."

What were the differences between the Titan designs? Is the one people like from Star Trek Online?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Set it in the lovely part of Enterprise-J City.

This is a better interpretation of the J than most I've seen. What's the origin?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The Rodenberry Archive Enterprise timeline that let you explore all the bridges and stuff, it was up for like a week and then went down. I think the internet melted it and also there might've been some legal tugging.

Personally I think that interpretation would be better if the hull section that wraps around the front and tapers to the back were opaque and the saucer transparent.

That would be great, and if the bridge wasn't still present, as at that scale it looks silly having the bridge still be a dome in the middle. It should be at the front of that hull section and less distinct.

Also the pylons are too thin and weak looking.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

That's not meant to be just a bridge, it's a kind of central dome. I think it's probably meant to be, like, the entire command complex.

The pylons being thin is meant to imply that it's so far beyond us that traditional ideas of strength are irrelevant.

That makes the dome better, but I just think the pylons looks aesthetically ugly.

The idea is fine as a futuristic representation of how far we've come, but I just think it looks silly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The programmable matter stuff is a pretty big leap.
.I guess technically that is basically just replicators but better, but the applications like Book's morphing ship were cool

Books morphing ship was rubbish. Why did it even have that feature? What advantage did it actually give it in practical terms? Did we ever see what happens to the cockpit when it morphs? I don't think we did.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Discovery has a poo poo ton of memorable moments, it's an over the top melodrama most of the time.

For example: The Klingon chancellor decapitates a baby in front of the Senate. It's stupid but also hilarious and memorable as hell

Ironically I don't remember that at all.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Discovery 501: Red Directive
Capt Burnham & the Discovery are sent to retrieve a mysterious 800 year-old Romulan vessel; until the artifact hidden inside is stolen, leading to an epic chase. Meanwhile, Saru is offered the position of a lifetime, and Tilly’s efforts to help pull her into a tangled web of secrecy.

Red matter, perhaps?

Also, it's a Romulan science ship from TNG. (Is this the first time New Trek has 'reimagined' a ship from TNG or other 90s era Trek?)

If the McGuffin of the first episode is Red Matter then I can guarantee part of the season long drama will be whether they can use it to return to their timeline. Also that's a rubbish redesign.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Der Kyhe posted:

I like the STO/Lower Decks take on Gorn more than the SNW. Instead of them being the not-Xenomorphs, they are normal if violent sentient species, frenemies with the Klingons, and autonomous part of the Klingon empire.

I can only assume that SNW knows all of this and is setting up for a twist/reassessment of their version of the Gorn.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I think you guys make a way bigger deal out of the Gorn than it's worth. The Gorn have only been depicted as slasher aliens as juveniles and the adult gorn have behaved basically as they do in TOS. They're physically more imposing than the lame rubber suit guy but that's the type of adaptation Star Trek has always done bwtween eras

I don't know, the adult Gorn behaving well enough to be welcomed into Starfleet and having characters attend their weddings doesn't really gel with the idea that those some characters as juveniles were abducting entire planets and feeding them to their young.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Mount has leading man charisma, but Babs Olusanmokun can bring the dramatic gravity of a neutron star which is presumably why they made him into the juicing future John wick.

It's a shame season one saddled him with the sick child plot and it's AWFUL resolution.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Are Paramount entirely unaware of what Star Trek fans want or is this forum kind of an oddity in the fandom? Are vast swaths of Star Trek fans desperate for more Section 31 content?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I kept giving Disco a chance but I couldn't get passed the resolution to Season Three. It was just nonsensical and I came away from it with no interest in continuing to watch.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

But he could have done so much more. He obviously had the money. Re-building the TNG bridge was a labor of love, but holy poo poo did it cost a lot, I think $2.65MM was spent on recreating it, and that ate up much of the budget that been allocated towards VFX.

Honestly, and I know this is heresy, but it's not worth that much loving money. It's not a great set to begin with, so I'd definitely consider rebuilding it for that cost to be pissing money up the wall.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Holy gently caress! I've never finished season two of Picard, is that actually what Alison Pill Borg looks like? LMAO!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I like the Strange New Worlds Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Same, but the worst part by far is the surface texture.

Yeah. I have the model kit of it and want to paint it in the TMP color scheme which I think will look great.