Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

IMO all of Discos problems start and stop with Michael Burnham.

Disagree, problems all start and stop with the producers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also the Federation doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be a substantially more just society than the one we live in today.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

The first 2 seasons of Discovery are better than the first two seasons of TNG and DS9 easy. It goes without saying it's better than the other three series entirely, not just the first 2 seasons.

If TNG or DS9 had been released in this era, they'd've been cancelled season one.

Comparing any show against TNG season 1 is hilarious. Like yeah I would hope anyone could run a show better than a coked-out, embittered, senile Gene Roddenberry.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

I feel like they were limited in the stories they could tell because of continutiy but hopefully now that that's not a problem anymore, they'll be more free to write. You could do some bonkers poo poo in the far future, what year was the Enterprise, sigh, J supposed to be from

I think the incessant insistence on "oh we're totally in the same timeline, everything still hooks together!!" is just utter cowardice that winds up backfiring entirely. On the production side it can only serve to constrain the options of all involved, meanwhile instead of placating nerds it just aggravates them when the writers wind up contradicting other Trek series anyway.

Just loving dump the old continuity and commit to a hard loving reboot. Hell, they can call it a parallel timeline in the same "multiverse" or whatever, but just stop trying to pretend the new poo poo fits into the history or future of the prior shows and it can open so many options.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

*the hell it is

Yeah I think the people it wouldn't fly with are producers moreso than audiences.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Echo Chamber posted:

Fans who want utopian Trek are living in a Fukuyama "end of history" mindset.

Yes, these show has their big problems, and prestige TV has run its course, but I just find the idea that Trek shouldn't be about a broader struggle to be a 90s mindset.

I personally do not think that Star Trek's Earth/Federation needs to be perfect, but I do strongly believe it should be a substantively more just society than the one we live in, because A) I think this is a key element to the Star Trek setting (and if you don't accept this element, I would ask why you are writing a Trek story in the first place rather than choosing or creating a different setting) and B) I think it is good for at least one setting to attempt to portray what a better society would look like and how it might work.

I don't want Star Trek's Earth to be Space America.

I can deal with rear end in a top hat admirals and I can even accept that they managed to get their way this time when it came to Romulan policy, but honestly what I found more disappointing in terms of setting were the little details about the workers at Mars. Why do they have bad food? Why are they feeling overworked? Are these just lazy writing shortcuts or do the writers/producers deliberately want to convey that 24th century workers are trapped in wage slavery just the same as 21st century workers?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They're working a job that happens to be rough for reasons, and when they clock out and go home all their needs are met and they will want for basically nothing.

Sounds pretty good to me.

It sounds like that one guy doesn't get to go home and doesn't get to spent time with his family, which doesn't sound to me like his needs are being met. :colbert:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

And that's if they'd sell at all, lots of studios won't sell IPs that they see zero value in because nobody wants to be the guy that sold, I dunno, Babylon 5, walked away from the deal with half a billion bucks and then they make a movie or whatever and it does a billion at the BO.

lol forever at the notion of markets driven by "rational actors"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:same: even if it never amounted to anything. The further they deviated from the S1/2 ultra-serious Troi, the better she got. S6-7/Movie Troi actually has a personality beyond “likes chocolate, hates her mom, loves Will”. They really should have put her in the Starfleet uniform way earlier in the show and made her the senior diplomat instead of always defaulting to Picard.

I think Sirtis said her read on the character before production started was that she was supposed to be just about the smartest person on the drat ship, and then the producers decided she needed her boobs out and apparently late-80s Hollywood writers could not reconcile "smart" with "tits". Then when she got the regular spacesuit she got way brighter. It's a drat shame.

mllaneza posted:

A2 Starfleet Academy series has been pitched several times since TMP hit theaters. Maybe it'll actually happen this time, maybe it won't. If it happens instead of Pike's Enterprise then i'm gonna be upset.

I'm not... fundamentally against a series set at the Academy (or focused on cadets, at least), but gently caress do I absolutely loathe the notion of "Kirk and Spock and the gang all meet up as cadets and learn how to become the superhero team best buds we all love!"

Yes I know Harve Bennett wanted to do that and I still think Paramount was right to turn it down.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

I get the feeling that the Akira's are BTS crew favorites because they come up so much and also because they made the NX 01 look like one. I know that Starfleet ships have those designations (Connies are heavy cruisers too I think) but I'm not sure I've ever heard the terminology used outloud in an episode

Pretty sure the Horatio was described as a "heavy cruiser" in TNG Conspiracy (and also Worf refers to a couple of "frigates").

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

i cant tell if you're mocking me or if you think it's funny that Babylon 5 will sit in this bizarre purgatory of being a show that's too unpopular to do anything with but too popular to let go

I know this is from ages ago but wanted to clarify that I am not mocking you, nor am I especially amused by B5 specifically being trapped in limbo. I was expressing my disdain for shithead right-leaning people who think that markets will arrive at optimum outcomes because they are driven by rational actors, when examples such as "we're not making any money off of this but we can't sell it because someone else might make money off of it!" exist.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bless

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Many of those new ships exist retroactively by their design. Like despite being introduced in First Contact the Akira is clearly a contemporary of the Galaxy, while the Nova is a contemporary of the Sovereign. Or in DS9 they introduce the Centaur, which is shaped like the Miranda but uses Excelsior parts - we're meant to assume that Centaurs have been floating around for decades and were made soon after Excelsior was, not that they're brand new. A lot of the explosion of designs later on in the 24th century kinda fills out the past rather than assuming that Starfleet went crazy in the design department a year before First Contact came out.

You're right that there should be some new classes and a new 2399 aesthetic and design style, but Starfleet has been shown to keep ships for a long time, and the bulk of the fleet should absolutely be recognisable.

I mean, hell, with how long the old ships were kept around, there still ought to be Galaxy class ships still kicking.

Brawnfire posted:

The Dominion war forced the Federation to swap out to cheaper, less-powerful weapons capacitors in order to boost production numbers. The unfortunate result? The kitten-weak phaser sounds of present day.

It warms my heart knowing I'm not the only one cranky about modern space opera sound effects.

The Bloop posted:

I'm beginning to think the switch to more angular greebley ships is just because curves are more expensive

But it's all CG now, how can they be significantly more expensive? Are we still worried about polygon counts in the year 2020?? :psyduck:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

They seemed to deliberately construct fleet shots with galaxies as these big slow-moving indestructible beasts that just slowly plowed along blasting everything in their way, we saw a bunch but I don't think we ever saw any damaged in the fleet shots.

We see at least one take some gnarly hits, during that one battle where they were fighting the invincible orbital defense grid and had to trick the defense grid into shooting up its own power source. But, again, that was from the invincible orbital defense grid that was pasting every other ship in one shot (except Defiant lol).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaveGrinch posted:

Building a fleet of same ships isn’t necessarily the worst idea... maybe the Federation thought it worked perfectly well for every other major power in the galaxy.

I'd be more okay with it if they didn't look like crap... oh and if the VFX guys didn't pile them in so drat close and right behind each other lol.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

marktheando posted:

I think they avoid having other Galaxies ever since there was one on DS9 that got blown up and they were inundated with fan complaints that they blew up the Enterprise.

That happened at the end of DS9 season 2, but later in the same series they had fleet actions where we saw multiple Galaxy-class ships.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AntherUslessPoster posted:

latest ST installments are gore fest (loving icheb)

That was so gross. I did not need to see that poo poo. loving Game of Thrones made television so goddamn ugly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I thought the gore in Discovery season 1 was cynical and gratuitous. The eye scene in Picard was a misfire, but I get the sense it was more of an iffy buy well-intentioned creative choice because it did actually have a narrative purpose (making us feel sympathy for Seven and "showing not telling" how the xB's are treated like galactic garbage.)

It didn't bother me when I saw it, but I can understand how trekkies feel burned by that sort of thing.

I'm not happy about Icheb getting tortured to death (in part because it's just absurd how nearly every loving character is deeply scarred by tragedy) but I can accept that as a story decision. What I'm more bothered by is I don't think they had to focus in on a bloody eye implant getting pulled out.

I mean, I'm fine admitting this: I found it uncomfortable to watch. "Star Trek" aside, that scene was gross and unpleasant to me.

Angry Salami posted:

I didn't think it was particularly gory, given some of the body horror that's been in Trek since the beginning.

I'm not going to say there was never gore in TNG (e.g. the exposed brain tissue in Transformations) but I think there's a visceral difference between what we saw in the past and people being brutally mutilated in close-up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheCenturion posted:

Klingon Academy is where it’s at. Bring on the ginsu system.

Yeah, Bridge Commander was certainly the more polished of the two, but Klingon Academy had more meat to it. It's a miracle that KA came out as playable as it did, Interplay really hamstrung the developers.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
One of the decisions about Picard that rankled me more than perhaps it should have was that big chateau room that somebody obviously loved, so much so that they said "well thanks to holotechnology Picard can bring a slice of home with him!"

Like, really? I don't see Picard, even Worn Out Old Man J-L Picard, being the sort of person that would need to have that kind of familiarity around him. He'd be just fine with a spaceship stateroom. He spent a big chunk of his life on starships. He's just spent a huge amount of effort to try and get back into space. It should already be somewhat familiar and comfortable to him. Why's he need to continue hanging out at his chateau?

But okay, even if he did need a touch of familiarity, something he found reassuring and conducive to his thoughts... wouldn't that be something like his old ready room?

Lister posted:

After Starfleet Academy was put on GOG a few years ago, I was sure that Klingon Academy and the Borg FMV games would eventually follow. No other Star Trek games came about at all. Such a shame, I'd buy a version of Birth of the Federation in a heartbeat.

I'm not terribly surprised KA hasn't gotten a re-release, it could be pretty buggy and unstable even when it was running in the environment it expected. I can't imagine what kind of effort would have to be made to get it to work on a modern PC.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot about legal bullshit too - although I would think if they got Starfleet Academy re-released, the rights situation would be similar for Klingon Academy. Starfleet Academy and Klingon Academy were both Interplay games.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
And actually, that note about Activision reminds me of something...

Hed posted:

All that Armada trailer did was make me wish someone still made Star Trek video games in 2020.

Sometime in the mid-2000s, if I remember right Activision tried to sue Paramount on the grounds that Paramount had hosed up their handling of the Star Trek franchise so badly that it had ruined the value of the license to make Star Trek games.

There's a part of me that wonders if the people at Paramount (and later, CBS) took that as a cue to simply not issue further licenses.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

I've always wished the source code for some of the older games came out. A source code port of Bridge Commander to the Oculus Quest would be awesome. But after shutting down the fan made Stage 9 recreation it's obvious that CBS is too much of a bunch of grabasses to allow that.

I doubt the source code for any of the old Interplay games is still around. They were never great about maintaining assets back when they were still an actual company.

One of the biggest challenges for Klingon Academy was that the source code to the Starfleet Academy engine had already been destroyed by the time the KA developers got the green light to proceed - the guy who did the Starfleet Academy engine supposedly just deleted a bunch the source code after he was finished, or something equally insane. The KA developers had to spend a lot of time fighting with what they had on hand to get the engine just to do anything better than 640x480. (They wanted to build a new engine entirely, but Interplay absolutely refused.)

That said, I feel like fan projects that run a strong chance of getting hit with C&Ds could/should be run clandestinely - work in secret, publish anonymously - so that when they do release, it's already out in the wild and too late to wipe it off the Internet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the biggest problem with B5's cast is that the best actors are not in the main cast.

G'Kar and Londo are absolutely main cast. Do you mean to say the best actors are not EarthForce?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

multijoe posted:

Wasn't Rick Berman the guy who forced Terry Farrell out after she rejected his advances too?

Terry Farrell wanted to go part-time so she could start doing other stuff, and thought it was a reasonable request because her character hadn't had a whole lot to do lately anyway and wouldn't need to be there for every episode.

Rick Berman, aside from being a sexist pig, is also a massive control freak and gave her an ultimatum that it was all-or-nothing: either she's committed for the whole season, or she's off the show. This is also what led to Wil Wheaton quitting TNG; he wanted to take some time to go do a movie, Berman said "no, we've got a big Wesley script coming up, can't let you go" and then not long after that Wheaton was told "oh yeah that script got canned/re-written, you've only got a few lines".

I'm not aware of any reports that Berman actually made sexual advances on any of the cast (although he was lovely to Farrell, telling her her boobs were too small and comparing them to his secretary's, and if he did it to one person I bet he did it to others too). There was another producer, Maurice Hurley, who drove off at least one cast member (Gates McFadden) with his sexual advances.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 7, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

Hey, John Logan keeps getting work. poo poo is weird.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

That is a genius use of their parody get-out-of-IP-issues card.

What IP issues do you think they'd have otherwise? It's entirely legal to do a Star Trek-style space opera even without comedy or "parody".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Martytoof posted:

Wait, somehow I managed to miss this in all the discussion —

THEY MADE IT UP AS THEY WENT ALONG?!

What even is going on in 2020 jesús christ

I think it was the previous Westworld thread where someone said they'd worked on at least one other "prestige TV" production where it was not uncommon for them to be getting script pages mid-production.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember for ages people would jerk off online about how one of the big benefits of shorter seasons and streaming distribution was supposed to be that writers would have so much more time to plan things out and put more care into writing these big season- and series-long story arcs.

Oops! That wasn't the case at all. Writers are still rushing stupid poo poo out the door at the last minute. This isn't constrained to Trek either; Westworld and Game of Thrones are also great examples. Westworld's got the writers doing dumb last-minute reveals the night before shooting too!

Probably the best thing that can be said about the shorter seasons is that when studios are willing to throw cash at them, they can allow for really glitzy production values.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've worked on projects that were lovely for all kinds of reasons that had nothing to do with the talent level of the people that received the blame.

Didn't you guys read that Michael Pillar "Insurrection" thing?

I've read "Fade-In" more than once and my primary takeaway was that Michael Piller was absolutely the wrong writer for the movie. He was a decent producer for TNG in 1989 but by 1997 I think he was done and needed to move on from Trek.

Like, sure, Patrick Stewart's input didn't help things. But maybe he wouldn't have felt so compelled to give input if Piller had had a more compelling treatment to offer in the first place.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
And, sure, at the end of the day we can blame Berman for being so lazy or up his own rear end or whatever that he couldn't be bothered to try and find other writers for the TNG movies (dude called Maurice Hurley to give one of the two(!) pitches for Generations for gently caress sake) but it doesn't mean that Piller didn't do a good job.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thom12255 posted:

They were saying for months before release that they had a 'plan' for 3 seasons worth of content for the show when it's super clear they absolutely don't.

I dunno, if they were planning to rip off the Mass Effect series, they've got another two games/seasons! :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

Enterprise was never bad

It was just a letdown of our expectations

It's "ok"

Owlbear Camus posted:

I groaned out loud the first time I heard "hull plating down to 15%" Esp because it was airing roughly concurrent to New BSG, which showed that you could have a lot more of a visceral and compelling presentation of battle damage with unshielded ships duking it out rather than just making it a search-and-replace in unused scripts for "shields" health bar.

It's good to remember that Enterprise was prefaced with "this series is gonna be so different" and what felt like an implicit acknowledgement that Trek writing had become severely formulaic and stale. I'm pretty sure I stopped regularly watching Voyager sometime during the sixth season. Hell, they weren't even putting "Star Trek" in the title!

And then, yeah, like Owlbear Camus said, the first episode just felt like an incredible slap in the face. I bailed after the first episode and didn't watch another episode until years after the show got canceled. I eventually went back and watched some episodes, and while it's not the worst ever, I'm still firmly convinced I made the right call in bailing after the first episode back when it was in production.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That post is super bullshit, new movie merch wasn't selling because there was hardly any of it to buy in the first place!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I heard that 09 shooter was a horrendously buggy piece of poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Maybe it's been explained in the prior 240 pages of this thread, but I'm confused by the Orion character on Lower Decks. She doesn't seem to have any of the drive-everyone-crazy Orion lady pheremones. Are the Orions able to turn those off? Was she born without them?

I don't remember Orion women having super irresistible sex pheromones from The Cage or Whom Gods Destroy :confused:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Peachfart posted:

Netflix almost killed piracy. The 10 billion streaming channels in existence is bringing it back in full force.

ehhh, I dunno about "almost killed"

Gonz posted:

Stealth Dixon Hill movie incoming.

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1291910751062564872

Lotta racial slurs, extreme violence and cussing, i’d imagine.

...I don't get it, if Tarantino wants to make a gangster movie, why doesn't he just make the gangster movie? What's he need Trek for?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

Something tells me Kate Mulgrew would love hamming it up in a VA role as a parody of Janeway in a Trek comedy.

she fuckin' kills it in NTSF:SD:SUV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrQDLRM-jG0

"i'll be roughing up witnesses :black101:"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Boimler's such a whiner and I don't know why Mariner bothered propping him up like that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This is gonna be a weird nitpick but honestly I feel like my biggest gripe with the third episode was how they leaned on the 'protocol protocol protocol' like it was a dang Saturday special or something.

also uhhhhh some rules are written in blood, but hey it's a comedy whatever nothing has to make sense honk honk :^)

MichiganCubbie posted:

Course, I also think Beyond is the best Star Trek movie since FC ... so I might be broken.

I... don't see a problem with ranking Beyond higher than 2009? :confused: Like what else is going to be the best Trek movie since First Contact??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Anyway I liked third ep better than previous two so I'm actually kind of looking forward to what they've got going for the next episode.

...the gently caress is this ten episode season bullshit? Cheapskates!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Strong Convections posted:

As a watcher of BBC/UK shows, the idea of 10 - 15 eps being a short season is something that doesn't quite fit in my brain.

Oh come on, the BBC thought having to open a can of filmstock was a shocking extravagance. :v: