Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm watching TNG for the first time now and, as bad and boring as season 1 is, I really appreciate that everyone is more or less a bunch of professionals doing their jobs and not turning into weepy messes every other scene. How many God drat times did we have to watch Burnham choking back tears per episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well this is extremely frustrating, it's Jan 24 here and it's still not up. I hate these staggered releases, just dump it everywhere at once.
Guess I'll have to explore other options.

Where in the world are you that it's the 24th???

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Not "where" Mr Kissinger, but "when".

Mr. Kissinger is my father, call me kid

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Well that was alright, wasn't it?

There's a few groaners in it, but that's just personal taste as to what I find fresh and exciting vs a bit played out.

Pretty show, nice music and overall it was very sweet.

I worry that they're setting themselves up for a lot of nonsense intrigue and reveals, but... hey I'm keen to see more.

Bruce Maddox? Now that's a deep cut that I can get behind. Legitimately one of the great potential threads from the show they left open.

"enhance... enhance... enhance..."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Wrong thread

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
was anyone else really bothered by the shelves in Dahj's apartment not being level? what kind of loving future is this??!?!?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Brawnfire posted:

I can't even begin to tell with all the camera lens warping going on.

yeah there's definitely a barrel effect from the wide lens, but look at where they are supposed to line up.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
i want perfect right angles in our post scarcity future or i don't want a future at all

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
What's the thread consensus on Picard? Just caught up and, while I do enjoy seeing Stewart in this role again, the show doesn't really work for me. Seems like they tried to Game of Thrones it up with a lot of pretty stilted drama.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
they deleted the entries from the file table but not the data itself. data recovery people deal with this every day.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

thrawn527 posted:

But why didn't the double super secret Romulan CIA also delete the data itself?

I'll admit, I kind of glazed over for the explanation, because it was just her talking to herself while swiping at the see through screen, and I was like, "I get it, you'll find the data, move on please", so this is probably more on me than the show.

Like most intelligence organizations (CIA, FBI, etc.) They are actually incompetent racists huffing their own farts.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I've decided that this is a bad show and I'm not going to waste any more time with it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't know guys, this one really stretched my patience with this show. We've had maybe 2 episodes worth of story and a lot of cheap drama filler. They've played their cards so loving close to their chest, possibly because they didn't have 10 eps worth of material, so everyone is just stalling with busy work.

yeah, it just feels like this series has no respect for the viewer or their time. and the cheap drama filler feels like a CW show. it just sucks.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I've been watching season 1 of The Terror (since I read the book the first season is based on, no idea what season 2 is since its apparently unrelated) and by 4 of 10 you are well into the weeds of the plot with a huge cast of characters, plenty of flashbacks and a lot of well dramatised exposition to establish a time and place that's probably not too familiar for most viewers, and that's a relatively "slow" paced show that's also extremely bleak.

Check out the The Terror season 1 if you're interested in a bit of historical fiction with a supernatural bent.

This looks sick. Going to check it out tonight!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
was that character actually named "vajazzle"?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"I didn't get one :smith:"

Probably the best thing in the episode

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Mokinokaro posted:

This EMH seems to only be able to act as an advisor and not give treatment himself unlike a Starfleet EMH. Maybe it's even connected to the whole thing against sentient AIs?

That's not true, he was directly treating the captains wound earlier.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

piratepilates posted:

Not just a betazoid, it seems like they intentionally went with someone who looks incredibly similar to troi -- to the degree that if you caught the show at a glance you would mistake her for Troi.

I had to check this myself

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

marktheando posted:

Goon face blindness strikes again

thinking that these people look very similar isn't "face blindeness" lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
They really do need install ad-blocker in that ship though. Having a bunch of holograms harass you as you approach a planet seems really bad.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I assumed when the traffic controller said they were passing the conn back to La Sirena that they pushed a bunch of ads and poo poo through before terminating communications.

"You're cleared to enter orbit. installing complimentary malware in five... four... three..."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Do you think the TOS crowd had similarly visceral reactions to TNG/DS9? I'm actually kind of curious.

TOS crowd didn't have any other options really

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

zoux posted:

Picard haters: what's the most recent star trek thing you actually liked

That episode of Discovery with Dwight Schrut as Mudd

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I'm not a hate watcher. I wanted it to be better

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Delthalaz posted:

Me too. In fact, I was defending the show until a combination of episodes 3 and 5.

Yeah same, I feel really dumb for recommending it to someone now.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

This was excellent btw

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There was never a good sense of momentum or even rising tension during the oceans 11 bit

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I watched the first episode of The Terror and that is just a masterclass in editing and writing working together. Thanks to whoever recommended it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Get hosed, you boring idiot.

Yeah, no one could possibly have seen a resemblance between those two women in that scene without being racist.

Oh and Zadegan's background is Iranian, not Indian. If that ever actually mattered to you.

Some people are just really desperate for an own I guess

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

marktheando posted:

I like Star Trek.

Season 2 is pretty good.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
do we have concrete numbers for viewership for either show? I'm genuinely curious.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

zoux posted:

“The massive success of Star Trek: Discovery's second season launch exceeded our expectations in both driving subscriber growth and generating a phenomenal response from Star Trek fans,” CBS All Access executive vice president Julie McNamara said.

This sounds like mostly empty marketing speak. I'm not trying to say it was a failure, I'm just curious if we can actually judge one way or the other.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

zoux posted:

Find an article anywhere that says it's performing poorly.

You really are weirdly defensive about this show.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
It's still not clear to me what exactly happened in regards to Ash becoming a Klingon.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

marktheando posted:

I'd watch Orville if Seth McFarlane hadn't cast himself as the lead. He really rubs me the wrong way.

this is my biggest hurdle with the show as well

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
They haven't shot any of S2 yet right? By the time it's safe to do so Patrick Stewart is going to be like 82.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
barely made it through the first ep of Disco S03. why does the camera want me to puke so much?? why does every moment have to be so high intensity??? two people having a soft conversation doesnt need to have vamping music and shakey cam jesus

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
the music never stops. its like nothing can carry its own dramatic weight

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
its just so sad to go from having awesome Klingons like Martok to entirely horrible grim monsters in Disco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
where do the borg come from anyway? did some sapient species borgify themselves?