Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's honestly refreshing to hear about something that might kill us besides climate change or Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

phasmid posted:

Both of those things are probably pretty big factors, tbh.

Yeah. :smith:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'll have to play through a round of Plague Inc and name it coronavirus. That'll keep us up to date on how worried we should be.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Conor McGregor just endorsed Trump. I mean he could always eat a dick but now I hope the person whose dick he eats has coronavirus.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Washington Post posted:

As the uncertainty continued, Guan, the virologist who identified SARS, offered a chilling perspective on the outbreak.

“I’ve seen it all: bird flu, SARS, influenza A, swine fever and the rest. But the Wuhan pneumonia makes me feel extremely powerless,” he told Caixin. “Most of the past epidemics were controllable, but this time, I’m petrified.”

Hmm.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That's a really dumb gimmick.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
But how are the Waffle Houses doing? That's the true metric.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

Wanna see what happens when he rightly refuses treatment that would ruin his family and tries to discharge himself against doctors orders.

I was thinking the same thing. gently caress paying for that. That'll ruin you even with insurance.

They can arrest me and take me in there.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Burt Sexual posted:

Second confirmed case in Chicago

Hey now that's getting close to me. :tinfoil:

Fumble posted:

The title is probably the normal liveleak racism, but the video sound is poo poo your pants scary.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kQYgT_1579854913

quote:

This incident with over 180 million views shows a doctor forced to perform CPR on a dead patient whose family members refused to accept his death and beat medics so they would keep trying to save him.

The incident took place at Hejiang County People’s Hospital, in the city of Luzhou in China’s south-western Sichuan Province, after a 53-year-old male patient named as Mr Cai was admitted following cardiac arrest on 16th January.

According to Hejiang police, the doctors and nurses attempted to resuscitate Mr Cai from 7:49pm local time until he was finally pronounced dead at 9:14pm.

I think the description is plenty for me. I don't need to watch that. Also, that could be about any case. It's not really relevant to this specific virus.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

spacetoaster posted:

Some friends, and I, did CPR for over 20 minutes on a dude who had drowned. Somewhere around the 20 minute mark he came back alive and is fine today. Doing CPR for a long rear end time is ok.

Uh, that's not what I was talking about. The description says "This incident with over 180 million views shows a doctor forced to perform CPR on a dead patient whose family members refused to accept his death and beat medics so they would keep trying to save him." I think that's a good enough description that I don't want to watch someone in distress beating up medics so they can save their dying loved one. That was my point.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Play posted:

does that elderberry poo poo actually work. I'd be down to not get sick, just in general but also in the case of this coronavirus

No. Just like Emergen-C which has gotten poo poo for making fake claims.. It's just vitamins or homeopathic poo poo. Nothing will prevent you from getting a virus besides a vaccine.

edit: vvv yeah it was Airborne.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 24, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wild Horses posted:

one positive is that medical masks and filter masks will be more popular in europe, which is sweet.

maybe i can wear/force others to wear masks when they're sneezing or coughing in the subway without looking like a psychopath

I was just talking with my nurse today about masks. If I were to wear one here in the US people would freak out and keep their distance from me, even though it'd be me protecting myself from them. In Europe and Asia they're much more common and no one cares. It'd be nice if they were more popular here.

What a little bitch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Guys, I've got some bad news.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Outrail posted:

Oh stop that you tease

Well I ran through the scenario in this very complex and expensive virus supercomputer and boom. Them's the results. See ya everyone!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220921816279134209

I don't know who this guy is but he seems pretty smart. I try not to be a reactionary but uh... this isn't looking well.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Have you guys heard of elderberry? It'll cure you as well as make your dick hard.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Lol Trump is going to have Obama's death camps.

:ironicat:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a Polish and Finnish gas masks which I'm sure are far expired filters and I just found an unopened Honeywell P100 mask.

I'm set for when the virus doesn't come to my lovely town. It'd get bored and leave.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Shaocaholica posted:

Who says canx? Is that some sort of insider speak? WHO?!

It's the gender neutral version of cancel. Try to be more sensitive.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If we get anything out of this at least we'll get a cool new handshake.

https://i.imgur.com/aG8UzYl.mp4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was starting to feel ill, dizzy, and "out of it" last night and thought I might be starting to get sick. Turns out I was honest to god having a dissociative issue after listening to the president speak.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xanderkish posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/12/there-are-reasons-be-optimistic-regarding-coronavirus/?arc404=true

Some reasons for guarded optimism regarding the Coronavirus in the US. With major caveats, obviously.

That gave me just about zero sense of optimism.

"we have wide grocery store isles and air conditioning" yay

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rinkles posted:

People manning stores under these circumstances deserve extra compensation. It's a form of bravery/ heroism

And Trump gave Rush the Medal of Freedom.

We know who the real heroes are.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Governor Evers has to consider shutting down bars in Wisconsin. That will not go over well here.

I was at Gander Outdoors today and happened to see this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

zer0spunk posted:

can i interest you in some beans in these trying times?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The VA has enough problems on its hands. The last thing you want to do is start putting overflow in the VA, that's riddled with vets with all sorts of problems.

A lot of VAs are attached to university hospitals, so it's going to cross contaminate anyhow, but they aren't staffed for the load on top of vets, who are predominantly older anyhow. I spent six days in a VA inpatient recently, that populace is old. Only a handful of younger folks and I'm 37, most everyone else was 60+ and on oxygen or had some variety of heart or lung problem to go with it. It's going to be overrun with boomer vets in the next few weeks.

I've spent quite some time in VA hospitals for certain reasons and I'm almost always the youngest person there. I'm 36.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

gary oldmans diary posted:

in a year the only restaurants will be taco bell mcdonalds and burger king
and everyone will be using the 3 seashells due to lack of toilet paper

really close demolition man. really close

I'm down.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Picnic Princess posted:

Parks Canada basically just shut down all national parks nationwide, they originally had just closed buildings but people kept congregating in outdoor spaces so all vehicular access to any park or historic site space is now banned.

So far Wisconsin parks are open. We have a state-wide shutdown starting today so I hope that doesn't change. The parks website still says they're open but no camping until April 30th. I might go hiking tomorrow if it finally gets warmer out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Good. I'll be watching.

I'm watching it right now.

Jesus christ this man is an idiot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm watching it right now.

Jesus christ this man is an idiot.

Just to reiterate. Trump just said that closing the country is worse than the virus because people will kill themselves by the thousands.

Ugh.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

just another posted:

Open by Easter!

Fox News reporter who gets exclusive interview with the president - "I guess there's going to be another resurrection. :smug: "

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

FYI if any of you are looking for hope, DO NOT watch the Trump town hall on Fox News.

I can 100% verify this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm pretty sure Trump has used both interchangeably at some point.

People take fish antibiotics. What is it that we don't know about the fish healthcare system that they aren't telling us. :thunk:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bird with big dick posted:

These seem like the dumbest PPE for this imo. You get corona on the outside of them it’s probably gonna get on your skin while you’re taking them off or has already gotten on your face or in your urethra anyway. I have 200 nitrile gloves because I use them for handling Carolina reapers making hot sauce and I don’t see much use for them. If you touch a grocery cart or gas pump or ATM or strangers penis just don’t touch your mouth until you wash your hands the gloves don’t really help.

Then why do hospitals, nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc use them?

They help.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've noticed this from the very beginning of the thread. A lot of you are loving retarded and need to stop giving out dangerous advice.

PPE works. 100%? Of course not. But each step you take is increasing the mitigation. If you are near a person with covid-19 and you walk past them and hold your breath, that increases your mitigation process. Is it stupid and probably won't help much? Sure. But it helps. (i know that's dumb I'm making a point)

If you are in a sealed room with someone with covid-19, that doesn't mean the room is 100% contaminated so you might as well not care.

ANY step you take to distance yourself or put some sort of barrier between you and the virus will help and is better than nothing. Anything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ocean Book posted:

medical professionals change gloves when interacting with a new patient, they don't just wander around all day wearing the same pair of gloves. random people do do that.

Can you guarantee that everyone that wears gloves who is not a medical professional doesn't ever change them?

Just because you assume everyone is an idiot doesn't mean they are.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He's not really wrong though. Intact skin is an excellent barrier against most stuff. Healthcare workers need it because you don't know when some old gently caress is going to cough in your face or wipe their dirty rear end hand on your scrubs and you don't notice it. And every surface in a hospital with suspected covid is treated as contaminated, so you have to protect against whatever incidental contact you may have.

This seems like an excellent reason to wear gloves for anyone under a worldwide quarantine.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

Are you that poster who keeps getting confused by people urgently suggesting that n95 masks be donated to medical providers? Because no one is suggesting that a mask is completely ineffective, nor has that been done since the beginning of the thread; the point has always been that laymen who aren't trained in their use making weekly runs to the grocery store would be just as well-protected by a simple surgical mask or even just a piece of tissue paper wrapped over their nose and mouth and they should give the serious PPE to the medical professionals who need them right now. And I know that this has been re-explained over and over but maybe this time it will stick?

I'm not that person so don't give me your poo poo.

And a ton of people in here are 100% black and white. If you aren't in a tyvek suit with SCBA gear then you'll get the virus.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

QuarkJets posted:

Okay well you're posting the same stupid things that that other poster posts, so go with god I guess but if you want to talk about thread trends then how about you actually quote some of those posts. Even just one of them. Because the one you quoted wasn't doing any of this poo poo

Go read the first 250 pages of this thread and count how many times people said that any PPE is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's way easier assuming they are, though.

Eh, that's fair.