Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

John_A_Tallon posted:

There's already hiccups in the milk supply chain. They've been throwing out milk because they couldn't ship it.

Who is throwing out milk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They're dumping thousands of gallons of milk because they can't get rid of it.

"They" who?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Some dairy farms are dumping their excess, some are feeding calves, and some aren't dumping at all.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

Tom Cruise needs to come to Orange County, CA and bitch out all the people at the bars not wearing masks.

poo poo got real over the past month for me. Girlfriend, brother, and my friends mother have it now.

How are they holding up? Mild symptoms, I hope?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I would love to hear if you have any wonkiness from it as this is the one I'm gunning for and I really want to hear experiences.

Mine was done on Tuesday and I'm a bit achy but that's all. So far, anyway.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

coronatae posted:

The clinic I work for offered an opportunity to get the first vaccine dose this weekend and I swear to god fuckin laser beams shot out of my eyes and I scheduled the first thing I could.

The one coworker I spoke to about it seemed ambivalent while I'm over here seeing if I can finagle this opportunity to vaccinate other members of my household (no sadly :negative:) and alerting all my oldass 65+ family to waitlist opportunities in the area

I had an appointment Monday for my first shingles vaccine shot when I was told I needed to schedule my first covid one for any of the next three days. Fine, two major vaccinations in under 24 hours bring it on!

ow!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

There's been other serial killers in the healthcare profession, he wouldn't be the first to take advantage of their job to murder others.

How would you prove this was attempted murder? Nothing has been said about the vaccines being toxic if allowed not kept cold until use.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Because if this hadn't been discovered, people might have died due to not having good protection against the virus.

That some people "might have died", maybe, from not getting this good protection that they haven't had for the last year isn't a great argument.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It’s a good enough argument for the state to step in when parents refuse medical care.

But not good enough to charge him for attempted murder of 500 people without better evidence.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Yeah that’s why we charge him with five hundred and seventy counts each of reckless endangerment, adulterating a prescription drug, and criminal damage to property.

Yes.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

It’s not the slightest bit relevant that they haven’t had protection thus far this year. It’s totally relevant that the recipients of the ruined doses believed they were getting protection when they weren’t, especially considering that folks getting vaccines at this point are generally most at risk for serious complications or death due to their professions or medical situations or whatever.

This is analogous to handing out fake body armor to people who are likely to be shot at. It maybe doesn’t meet the legal definition of attempted murder, but not terribly far from it.

As far we know, he may have genuinely believed that the vaccine was poison/mind control/mark of the beast and therefore he was trying to save people.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Castaign posted:

Which has precisely zero relevance to how he should be charged. Even if all you're trying to claim is that he isn't mentally fit to stand trial.

I agree that the charge should be reckless endangerment rather than attempted murder, but you are arguing it in a really weird way.

I said nothing about his mental fitness, only that without other evidence we shouldn't instantly claim he should be charged as a serial killer.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

JonathonSpectre posted:

Look out, Robin! The RIGHT-WING LONG-TERM STRATEGY ALERT is going off!

Gee whiz Batman! What's that?!?

That's the strategy where claiming you "believed" something means you can't be liable for it no matter how destructive, disgusting, or damaging it is! They call it "freedom of religion."

But Batman! That's an absolute inversion of everything freedom of religion stands for!

I know, Robin. I know. But remember, my friend.... we're dealing with criminals here.

Tune in next week when who gives a gently caress what you believe you crazy vaccine-destroying piece of poo poo go to prison.

This sure is a post full of stupid.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Castaign posted:

You also seemed to imply that his motivations and beliefs (whatever they might be) would or should impact the nature of the charges leveled against him.

Yes. Motivation often factors into charges. Until we have more evidence that he wanted to kill people, don't assume he is a serial killer. A stupid piece of poo poo recklessly endangering others, absolutely.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently his plan was to ruin the vaccines and then give them to people so they'd then catch covid and prove that vaccines don't work

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1344811166984413185

If he'd just poured them down the sink and replaced them with saline solution he probably would never have been caught

loving rear end in a top hat. It's not as if we don't know that you can still catch the virus after being vaccinated!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the second dose might be a different vaccine if they don't have the same one stocked that day
https://twitter.com/dannyjnwong/status/1344956389148520448

That seems like a very bad idea.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

Weirdly some immunologists are saying it makes sense and there's a general phenomenon of boosters being more effective after a longer wait across all vaccine types, in addition to the limited AZ data supporting the move. So this might actually not be as bad an idea as it seems.

Aren't boosters typically the same vaccine though?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

coronatae posted:

Got my first Moderna dose about an hour ago. Felt it going up into my neck which was weird

My coworkers had sore arms, I had a few hours of occasional chills and about a day or so of feeling achy. The shingles vaccine caused me more discomfort.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Platystemon posted:

We regret to inform you that no hamsters wore masks.

Instead, their cages were enveloped in mask fabric.

Noooooo! My dream!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Got my first vaccination yesterday. Trip report: A little bit of muscle soreness, but just like after a really good workout. Definitely worth it, highly recommended.

Got my second shot yesterday and I feel very tired and the injection site is swollen and hurts (which did not happen with the first shot).

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Fenarisk posted:

Totally normal for it to last up to a week.

Yep. I had very mild side effects the first time and was back to normal in two days.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

the first SA variant was 4chan and it ruined the world, not expecting less from this next one

Make us proud, variant. Make us proud.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

It was two days of arm pain for me.

I look forward to the day when "talking about the weather" is replaced by "talking about your vaccine side effects". :buddy:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I needed that laugh.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

Is this a thing a person can do in California? I found a county-level notification list and signed up for that, but is there something else I should be doing to get my spot in line?

The state site is https://myturn.ca.gov/, which might give you an idea. Otherwise, it really depends on the county.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Had my second Pfizer yesterday at 8am, got sick about 24 hours after. I have an autoimmune disease and take immunosuppressants so I have no idea if any of this applies to anyone else, but I've currently got - arm much more sore than after the first shot, chills, exhaustion, diarrhea, severe stomach cramps. Just told all of my clients for today that I was cancelling and am gathering energy to go back to my room and take a shower.

Super happy I got the vaccine and that it seems to be doing something at least.

I'm on xeljanz and methotrexate and the only issues I had with the second shot were deep arm pain and a day of "malaise" so bad that it took a powerful act of will to get out of bed and walk across the room to get my morning coffee.
Then I slept heavily that night and woke up with just arm pain.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

WrenP-Complete posted:

Heya xeljanz comrade! Glad to hear you got your shots!

I had to call out of work the day after my second shot because I had terrible stomach cramps. I am having chills/bad stomach cramps intermittently still. Seem to be over the worst of it.

Heck, yes! :buddy: I don't like taking the stuff but holy cow did it make a difference!

My colleagues all had stronger reactions than I did, too. I really thought I'd be hard hit, too. Glad you're feeling better!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Fwiw California passed a law that if you have side effects from the vaccine your sick time is supposed to be compensated.

I guess it’s supposed to be back dated to Jan 1.

Yes, it showed up on my last paycheck. Here's hoping I never need it!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

low key sex master posted:

Oh man last night was a nightmare

I felt like I was cooking from the inside. I was up at 317 am and didn't get back to bed until maybe 5? 530? No idea. My entire body felt like it was on fire

I feel much better today though! Let's see how the rest of the day goes

EDIT: Nope that was a lie I feel like poo poo again and have to take a day off

Remember that "body on fire" sensation when you hear people complain about hot flashes.

xcheopis fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 29, 2021

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't believe it is unreasonable to think that in many areas of the US we've gotten at least one shot into the arm of nearly everyone who will get vaccinated in the current vaccination distribution system.

Right now in order to get vaccinated you have to satisfy all of these following:

- Be motivated enough to independently figure out how the vaccines are being distributed in your area

- Have a job and household situation which lets you plan ahead for an appointment and/or where your time off that overlaps with the hours of a walk in vaccination site.

- Have a vaccination site within walking distance or have reliable transportation to/from the site when the site is open and your life's schedule is clear.

- Have the spare energy (physical and mental) to go through with all of the above and get yourself to the site for a shot. Twice.

Now that is a lot of people, but definitely not everyone or even the majority of people in most areas. Because of this local governments closing large hubs is actually a good sign, they are shifting vaccination strategies to catch people that don't hit all the above criteria. Every hurdle you can remove from the process will result in a new group of people being vaccinated.

My wife works in a clinic that focuses on underserved and lower income patients and it just so happens that the also are one of the organizations that helps run the mass vaccination sites so they've got vaccines available. Many of the patients have gotten vaccinated at mass vaccination sites but for those that haven't the organization has had amazing success by simply having the intake providers ask the patients "Would you like the vaccine? I can give it to you right now while you wait for the doctor." The vast majority of them go for it.

My workplace is using the Street Health teams (our own and those of our health care partners) to essentially deliver the vaccine for people unable to get to the clinics. There are also shelters where there is onsite Covid testing and various vaccines (TB, Hep A, Covid, Flu) are offered.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

yook posted:

My company has a paid 2 week (?) timecode bank for anything covid related: getting the vaccine, vaccine side effects, getting covid, taking care of someone with covid, etc. I think it's a California state mandate.

Yep.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

What is it about this specific shot that makes your arm hurt so bad?

Like the flu shot kinda does but nothing at all like this. It’s wild how sore it gets with such a small needle.

Shingrix shot hurt more than Moderna.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

I've heard that one in particular is quite a doozy of a vaccination.

But that shingles is much worse. I'm pretty drat jealous that kids these days don't have to go through chicken pox and as a result won't have the same risk of shingles that I have.

The horror stories of shingles were enough for me to keep my Shingrix appointment the day before my Moderna one. (I checked the CDC advice and also asked my doctor and they were fine with it. It's very difficult to get an appointment for shingles vaccine - it took nearly a year before I could even schedule the appointment, which was months later.)
And I didn't have side-effects from either, other than the Shingrix injection site hurting quite a lot. I'm due for the second one this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.askamanager.org/2021/04/people-who-have-been-at-work-all-along-are-exhausted.html