Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Does anyone know if the expedition free token is handed out for free each week or if it's just a one time tutorial reward?

Tutorial reward and apparently one of you level up your weekly chest enough

My only annoyance is the way some triggers are handled differently and it's not explained

Anivias on attack trigger (and Vlad's) go on the stack and can be responded to, purely buffing or summoning ones cannot (like the +1/1 and fearsome buff I couldn't respond to with a kill spell before someone else got buffed)

Tripped me up after responding to an anivia then getting blown out by the latter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Important to note, after you do your 3/week of an expedition you can do infinite runs (though they only give XP) for free

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Reminder that unlike magic, due to the existance of burst spells (which in magic would be split second), Deny can't really interact with combat tricks.

IT's very good at shielding from removal/mass removal, so i'd expect aggro/challenger strategies with buffs raise to counter the elusives.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also when the full power Fiora/Shen Decks are complete they’re gonna eat Elusive decks alive.

Eh, I think a more general challenger shell will be better for consistency

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Iona/Demacia has carried me every expedition i've done it

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The secret to expeditions is Jam Ionia Elusive with either Freyjord or Demacia for buffs.

It's super unlikely more than 1 opposing deck in your run will have the aggro strategy to beat you.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think the Freljord combo will suffer, as up until 7 mana your only removal is 1/3 brekpoints, which evasives will be buffed out of range for.

To be 100% clear my draft strategy is:
Give me Elusives until I have a solid base
GIVE ME EVERY INSPIRING MENTOR YOU HAVE

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mistaya posted:

What is making the elusive decks cry? I like playing them but they're so common right now I know I'd win a lot more if I had a counter-deck.

Challenger buff was what I saw swim testing

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Gimme the jungle faction with neeko having some bullshit morph like ability

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Shady character is follower only, Neeko obviously would be able to copy champions.

There's a reason I said morph, the idea of her pulling some face down tricks as a theme would be cool

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Listen if we care about power level we just need to compare AP ratios.

So Release Neeko is the most powerful.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

d0grent posted:

Yasuo stun/recall decks seem very strong from what I've seen so far, and from what I can tell it's also a good counter to elusive decks. Does this hold up at higher ranks?

Eh not really, if you're just spending your turn delaying the elusive they are gonna get value, plus you tend to buff the elusives out of range of 2 damage

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Boxman posted:

The strength of their early game is in proportion to how completely poo poo they are in the late game. An inspiring mentor in your starting hand is fuckin great, but if you're trying to win a board back it's a pretty terribad draw. At least Aristocrat gives a chump block for two turns.

I'd argue any deck really trying to kill you is gonna use some combo of elusive/overwhelm/Burn damage/Fearsome to ignore the road block

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Hearthguard is more powerful but considering Inspiring mentor can lead to wins the turn you drop a hearthguard or the turn after I feel it's apple's to oranges

It's similar to how Progress day is a very powerful card but expensive and slow.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

mistaya posted:

"You don't have to play the thing that can potentially give you several thousands of EXP and bonus rewards!" While technically correct, if you want to get more cards for constructed you also want to get as much EXP as possible to unlock the capsules. So if I want to have more fun in constructed, I feel obligated to play expedition even though I don't like it. If you do like it, congrats, I'm glad you like it.

I tried out the Spooky Karma swim has listed and I just don't get how to play it properly. It feels like your hand bricks off the opener half the time. What are you supposed to be mulliganing for in that deck?

It was also built for a denyless meta which for me hasn't existed , every deck starts holding up deny by the time your big plays are online

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

threelemmings posted:

I think someone had discovered it does a shuffle of the deck before firing. Or am I just making things up?

It does do a shuffle

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

His levelup doesn't require him to be on board to see you deal the damage, you can just keep popping any of the 1 damage effects every turn and pop him fully leveled on 5.

The barrels are kinda gonna be absurd for a lot of spells and skills, just think how many cards are good just because they have enough health to avoid mystic shots and vile feasts, now imagine a 3 damage withering wail or 3 drain vile or 5 drain grasp.

I mean I expect bilgewater noxus with the new 2/3 that pings 1 of your units for 1 to hit the enemy nexus for 2 seems perfect for keeping GP levels rolling.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Man weenie decks are hosed with all these aoe skills floating around the new set.

conversely all the Draw (fleeting) will work really well with dump your hand aggro

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Well, this actually messes with my gameplan verses undying synergy and some elusives games, as being able to lock them on a board with less than optimal units was actually useful.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sedisp posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "stack" in LoR resolves the same way as it does in MTG right? I guess in this specific incident you would have a chance to respond in MtG after the spell resolved to buff the damaged unit since the initiative system doesn't exist.

Spell speeds react differently but for the most part its the same I think.

Yeah thats the key difference, the stack is layered the same but you only gain priority every time there is the possibility of a stack, and there has been a change of state since you last had control i.e.
someone plays a slow/fast spell (adding to the stack)
Combat has begun.

If both sides pass in turn the stack resolves as is, if someone adds, then priority passes to the opponent who can add more spells (resetting the state "Timer) or can pass and let things resolve

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah sorry I forgot burst spells in my explanation, doing anything except passing created a new priority window even if there's nothing to respond to. Hence burst pass letting your opponent play a slow

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

Take away Tough but give her 1 more HP, imo.

She'll get super.picked apart by all the chip removal. Tough is the only thing keeping her safe in a land of tf and mf and ez

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Expedition report:

I just got pilfered goods, into my pilfered goods, into my other pilfered goods.

Oh no

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Are there rewards beyond the icons? I really hope not.

Bonus XP for more wins, but that's it

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

So, I’m watching Swimstrim and he’s playing an Ezreal/Diana deck that looks real loving degenerate. Turns out, when Ezreal levels up, gems proc his ability. I think there was one match where he dealt 30 damage to the enemy over two rounds once the levelled up Ezreal hit the board.

He's now removed the diana, this list is so nutty.

Gems are basically a mroe efficient (as in how you get them) mushroom like in the old deck, and hush works really well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Clarste posted:

Killing a leveled up Aurelion Sol with a buffed up squirrel feels good too.

Edit: I noticed that all the Celestial spells are Slow, so if you just attack at the beginning of the turn the opponent doesn't get a chance to use them. I feel like that's an interesting design decision.

Casually silencing the big fat dragons to machine gun ezreal down an aurelian sol list is very funn