Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The city planning and island customization stuff is really exciting, and I really hope they bring back the Dream Suite because players were making absolutely incredible stuff back in New Leaf and this seems like it's gonna elevate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/TAHK0/status/1230513278951944192

You can make custom mugs, just like at your local mall.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zodack posted:

Fairly sure you can move the animal villagers considering a lot of the clips on the Direct had very compact "town" like layouts with many houses close to one another

Nook has a relocation option, and a few minutes later it shows that you can relocate shops, so honestly it'd be weird not to be able to move animal houses, especially since you can place them now.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

RIP Shampoodle

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Idia posted:

Gonna miss her. There is something nice about actively going out and getting your hair done by a poodle asking you vague questions.

not to sound like i'm bemoaning the casualization of animal crossing because (A) just having a normal character creator is probably best for everyone and (B) lol at the concept of the casualization of animal crossing, but i will kind of miss the questionnaire format for stuff like that, because it was v. charming.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bleck posted:

I don't know if any of y'all care about the bugs 'n fish as much as I do but I legit teared up when I saw how incredible the museum looks

I just can't wait to catch bugs

It legit looks amazing, a real "glo up" as the kids say.

God, I remember playing New Leaf and having a friend drag me to the museum in my town and me being shocked at how extensive it was, because I had only ever poked my head into the initial rooms of each wing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

prepuce repurposed posted:

maybe after paying off your house for the third time or w/e you'll get a wii u in the mail so you can play failed wii u titles :pray:

no chance of that, nintendo has spent the last few years porting their failed wii u titles to switch and selling them at full price.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kaethela posted:

Someone please make a Die Anywhere Else town tune because I am entirely useless when it comes to music stuff.

i get why you'd want such a catchy tune but otoh i want to die on my animal crossing new horizons island and nowhere else so i'm not sure it'll be thematically appropriate

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm watching the Gamexplain footage and it looks like the Able Sisters have an unlimited stock of each item on display? It seems like in New Leaf they only sold one of each item on display, or am I misremembering?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

i want to be part of raccoon gang i want to live on a deserted island

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm ashamed to admit to not really knowing how friend stuff works in this, my New Leaf experience amounted to occasionally remember to turn on Streetpass or whatever in the hopes of something random showing up.

The American Stress Pass Experience.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Whew, only ten days until I can escape reality for 15 minutes each day and indulge in consequence free crafting and consumerism.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

yea my only real disappointment with this is that I wish a new gen meant a more sizable island/more townsfolk but I get they like to keep it feeling close knit.

I better get that new elephant and that instragram twink rear end cat with glasses, though :argh:

I imagine the ability to put stuff outside is also playing a role in this as well, but maybe Animal Crossing for the Nintendo Switch U will go bigger.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

New gang tag idea: poo poo Heads

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

And More posted:

Thanks for the tag! It's extemely cute.

I am curious as to how grindy the new material systems are, and whether the framerate holds up in (local) multiplayer. Everything else seems pretty much like a done deal.

Since the game seemingly evolves into a normal animal crossing game instead of staying All Crafting All The Time, I don't expect it'll be too much worse than the standard Early Game Grind.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1237582918177837057

You can draw on the bulletin board. You know what this means.

That Miiverse Lives.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

thank you for the gang tag

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

This is my first time preordering a game from Amazon with guaranteed delivery on the release date, can anyone comment on their expedience?

I just wanna play this poo poo at like 8am but I know I'll have to wait... :sigh:

Given the way world events are currently playing out i wouldn't put much stock in "this will be delivered by this date, guaranteed"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

compounded daily posted:

Just buy a skin. It's cheaper, and unless you play in portable most of the time, looks the same! Probably!

I still want the actual console :(

That's really tempting tbh because the joycon color is really the only part of the Animal Cross Switch I was particularly interested in.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not wild about the smoothing filter that gets applied to custom designs - it definitely makes doing any kind of detail work way more difficult. Everything else about the editor is great though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Everything's going great!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

For people who Know Things: Do you ever unlock an easy way of sharing your custom designs with the internet, like generating a QR code, or is it limited to "take screenshots of the patterns in the designer mode and post them to twitter"?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

you can do it in the able sisters shop

pray for my aunt posted:

Exporting codes takes a while to unlock but you can import codes immediately - you need to enable Nook Connect by pressing - on the main menu of AC, and you'll need the Nintendo Switch Online phone app to read the codes.

Ok thanks! I knew about importing, so I figured there was probably going to be a way to export.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

people attributing malice to the online is pretty silly

i think it's simply that nintendo didn't think "people have their islands open constantly and have several dozen people trying to connect/leave at any time" would be the main use case for players & had it as an option just because they could

Kinda feels like the "every issue relating to the online in this game" stuff should have come up when they decided to allow eight players to join one game though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

What the gently caress

I imagine Pocket Camp kind of soured folks on them.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Before I waste any bait trying to summon a sturgeon, can someone tell me if I'm trying to get a fish to appear on the river or ocean side of the river mouth? Does it matter?

This was a sturgeon:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

My villagers have all been pretty normal cheerful animals. And then today this guy shows up

I love Wade, he showed up to Billy's birthday party in a tuxedo and top hat.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Jarogue posted:

I made a thing and now to go into Leaf and pull out some only ones I made.

https://twitter.com/Jarrogue/status/1244889166879449089

I made an SMT thing too!

It's just a shame that the smoothing filter makes doing the demon decals on the sleeves impossible...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Another fun fact about this bunny day stuff - Primary residents get a mail notifying the start of bunny day with a recipe enclosed. Secondary residents don't know anything about the day until they talk to the bunny. Also no free recipe.

They really screwed the pooch with the way this system works.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Of all the strange design decisions people have been pointing out, I think there being items you can customize and items you can't customize but do have palette swaps that count as different items is probably the weirdest.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

shadowvine118 posted:

Has anyone gotten anything actually significant from the rabbit for all this egg stuff?

the only significant item is the Egg Lamp. gaze upon it and contemplate the universe.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's maybe not great that the DIY cards villagers can give you and the ones you can find in the bottles can be duplicates of stuff you either get during the tutorial week or can buy from Nook's Cranny

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Is it just me or is almost every town you try to visit today at capacity? I've never encountered this problem before today and right now I can't find a single island that isn't.

I guess everyone's trying to offload their turnips at the last minute.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

LastGoodBoy posted:

I guess I should have checked this first before I planted a wall of shrubs I'm sure won't grow, right?

Based on the patch trailer, shrubs are only 1x1 so they should be fine if they're planted right beside each other

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/_Ninji/status/1253495611300741126?s=20

I thought it was my imagination when I wasn't seeing many peacocks after the patch.

This is rather kind of disappointing. I don't think I like them using patches to meddle with bell making methods. Not when turnips are insanely lucrative and honestly kind of tiring to deal with.

Before the game was released there was a bit of a dust up over the "Includes in-app purchases" label, and we've yet to see what that refers to and this is kind of making me afraid they're going to introduce a Honey mechanic from Pocket Camp.

(I was going to say it's weird that they're nerfing all these other ways of making bells but leaving turnips intact when turnips are so far and away the easiest way to make bells, but then I remembered turnips heavily encourage players to purchase Nintendo Online subscriptions)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 24, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

flatluigi posted:

the label was a mistake and isn't on the final box so cool your jets

It's listed on both the eShop and Nintendo's official Animal Crossing website though?
https://store.nintendo.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-digital.html
https://www.animal-crossing.com/new-horizons/buy/

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If I customize a piece of furniture, can another player pick it up to catalog it and be able to order item normally? I'm not concerned with them getting the custom design or not, just the base item itself.

If it's customized with a Custom Pattern they won't be able to pick it up (I think you may not be able to even drop it - the item's Leaf will be a yellow-ish green), if it's customized with just the default customization options the game provides it should be fine. I don't know about Sabel's patterns though. However if it's something your Did It Yourself'd they won't be able to order it from Nook Shopping no matter what.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of, has anyone actually gotten multiple nicknames? Everyone on my island just wants to call me Sunflower.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

runchild posted:

One more thing for gold rose chat - once the black rose’s “has been watered with golden can” flag is flipped, it stays flipped until a gold rose pops out (or you dig it up). So you don’t have to use the gold can every day.

Oh, that would explain why I suddenly have a Gold Rose growing on my island today despite not having a golden watering can and not having had any visitors for nearly a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Sounds like y'all have a real Pearadise Lost situation