Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Armacham posted:

Watching my 11 month old shovel handfuls of yogurt and oatmeal into her mouth is my favorite

Same.

I give mine little bowls of oats, yogurt, berries, banana. She shoves them all into the same bowl then goes to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I was told I'm a good dad, so I'm riding that high for the next week.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Quite a contrast to the claims made in your av

I don't see how they are mutually exclusive.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

$1 per ounce

I buy Nestle at 35c per ounce in South Africa.

There's an Irish brand here, Infacare, that costs 24c per ounce which I haven't tried.

I remember looking into this when that factory closed down in the USA and the price was in large part due to protectionist policies in the USA.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

AxGrap posted:

We had luck with these for both kids.

https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Miracle-360%C2%B0-Assorted-Colors/dp/B00NZRDN4U/ref=asc_df_B00NZRDN4U/

Enough like a big kid cup to be fun, but doesn't spill a lot

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Dog has opened up to his baby sister. Which is good, because when she spits up he's on it.

Same.

First, dog just avoided baby.

At one year, baby fed dog and dog loved it, but dog disrespected her and knocked her down when she was walking sometimes.

At 15 months, she started playing with dog aggressively. Had to teach her to play gently, but it instilled some respect in dog.

Now at 18 months they seem to be at a good place and they just go outside and run around each other joyously, barking and laughing.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Mom made some turmeric tea for herself. Baby took the teacup and drank it. Didn't like it, so gently put the teacup on the bed and walked away.

We're probably never going to get the yellow stain off of the sheets now.

Microplastics posted:

Dog is a klingon and baby gave it the vulcan hello

Heh. Gonna have to make my kid watch star trek for her moral education.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My 18 month old is suddenly fast. Goes up and down stairs on her feet. Opens doors. Jiggles keys in doors. Climbs railings and trees.

Now every now and then in the house you just hear "DO YOU HAVE HER?" and another voice "YES SHES HERE NOW"

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Microplastics posted:

Lol yeah my 23mo can outrun his mother now. And he has a habit of running to the exit of whatever establishment we're in, and somehow knows exactly where that exit is every time. It sure makes restaurant visits stressful

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
When our 18 month old wants food that you're not giving her, she goes to grab a spatula from the drawer and starts hitting you.

Also she has opinions about fashion now, with a clear preference for certain clothes. She digs through the laundry bag for stuff she likes and wants to wear dirty clothes.

It's shocking how quickly her mind develops.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
There are gifted programs and even schools by IQ?! What kind of eugenics based country is that?
:stare:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I was programming and already posting on the early internet at that age.

My condolences.

What's 2E?

just_a_person posted:

Shockingly similar to my soon to be 5 yo kid music taste. His first song he sang all the way through was Pursuit of Happiness. Last year the preschool sent us a video of him singing pumped up kicks during a game of tug of war. I only get away with it cuz my wife thought the song was about shoes. I am definitely paying for it now cuz he will occasionally drop a random f-bomb in perfect context.

Please teach me how to influence my child's music taste.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

just_a_person posted:

I made an effort to never let him listen to kids music or cocomelon when he was young, and I would sing and play guitar with him every night when he was young acoustical pop and rap songs. We only listened to music we liked so I think he picked up our taste, or at least adult music taste. Definitely paid off cuz we do karaoke night and he can sing from memory Circles by Post Malone.

That's awesome. Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna start playing my Game OVA Nightcore remixes with her.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

twice exceptional. having both a learning disability and G&T. it’s a big part of the problem with identifying them. and it’s why most of them they need help, and why it’s so objectionable that wealthy parents co-opt the programs.

Aah. Wow that does sound tough. Jeez.

Thank you for the explanation.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

loquacius posted:

yeah to beat that you have to take all enemies of a type as a single entity (like rocks in Asteroids or something)

wait maybe the yeti in SkiFree, because once you know how to play Mario you can get past that goomba easily but there is no escape from yeti

Hold f to go faster and escape the yeti.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
The first time I played Death Stranding I had a sleeping baby strapped to my chest.

It really added to the experience.

Especially when the controller started crying and I thought my daughter had woken up.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My 18 month is very creative. She keeps inventing new games.

Right now she packs chairs in a corner and barricades herself in there and then I pretend to be a dinosaur trying to get her.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

The best advice I ever hear comes outta my son's mouth. "You can do it!" and "Keep Trying, Keep Trying~ don't give up~" whenever I am visibly consternated at some task

https://youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE?si=XFekCM8dYX3-oItJ

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

It comes for us all.

I live in an intergenerational household, so no one is ever bone tired.

It's quite nice.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
"Why is the remote covered in vaseline?"
"You know why."

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I should really change my avatar :shepspends:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah how butt fuckable can you be?
Or did it become a necessity once the front got occupied?

Apparently this avatar belonged to smarxist, and the responsibility was handed over to me. You'll have to ask smarxist the origins.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

Can't, he daed.

My toddler has been snuggling with dog this week and it has been the absolute best.

Awesome.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Daughter ran face first into a door corner, now she's wearing a big bandage around her head like some Laurel and Hardy bit and getting all the snacks and toys she asks for.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My 20 month old has suddenly gotten super picky about food, and refuses to sleep if she can help it. Tough times.

She eats yogurt, peas with tomato sauce, potatoes, boiled egg white, strawberries, grapes, spaghetti or tofu.

Other items are variable.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

That's actually a pretty decent number of things.

With our 17 month old we're down to babybel cheese, beans, cheerios, yogurts, blackberries, dinosaur nugs. She'll randomly do poo poo like sit in my lap and steal my pad thai so we're constantly offering whatever we're eating in the event it happens, but mostly I think she survives on photosynthesis.

She struck spaghetti from the list today.

I fear next month.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
21 month old starting preschool today.

She was not happy when I handed her over.

Pictures from the preschool show a very skeptical baby just eyeing everyone with deep suspicion.

Very proud of her.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Kid is getting used to preschool! 😄

She's got a sniffle and slight fever. 😃😀😐

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

The Top G posted:

My partner is very anti-Cocomelon and thinks that it’s uniquely damaging to children and their development. Digging into it a bit, and it seems as though the claim is based on the faster pace of the show compared to older shows. Specifically, the scenes change more frequently than other shows I’ve seen. This guy posted the original video based on one short clip:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7021297010313563397

So I looked into it myself and yeah he’s right about the show moving faster than other children’s shows. Is this a problem? Well, I could see the pathway looking like “ faster pace -> more stimulation -> more addictive “ but who knows. Frankly I’m a little skeptical about any effects unique to one particular show .. I think excessive screen time is the problem, more so than any particular program, so a little bit of Cocomelon is not an issue in my eyes.

Anyone here feel strongly about it, one way or another?

When my child sees TV, she's maybe interested. Depending on if it's a show she likes. She tends to pay attention to some extent, and then get bored and move away from the screen, eventually.

With CocoMelon she fixates like she's fully hypnotized.

It just seems to be better at grabbing and keeping kids attention, I think, which has knock on effects such as causing prolonged screentime easier?

CocoMelon is banned in our house cause it's irritating.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Danny Go owns. My favorites are when he clearly uses some 3d model only because it's in some library of free assets. Couple times the end of his song has a gigantic Pig or Squirrel with a jarring half life 2 quality.

That one 3D dog in Teacher Rachel's videos is hilarious but freaks me out a bit.

Danny go looks nice. Added to my list. First song recommended is Give Me That Garbage, which is wholesome and great.

Reminds me, my 21 month old can hear when the garbage truck is in the street (I usually can't) and then gets very upset if I don't take her with me to bring the empty bin back.

She has respect for garbage trucks.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Votskomit posted:

Kid is getting used to preschool! 😄

She's got a sniffle and slight fever. 😃😀😐

It was RSV (probably). We all got it. It sucks.

But she's mostly better now.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
My mom: "I know you don't fully trust me with Grandchild. I can feel you keeping her at a distance."

Also my mom: "oh it looks like Grandchild is slightly fussy today… this is unpleasant so I'm going home haha, goodbye"

Anybody else got fairweather guardians who are useless in a pinch?
I keep trying to train my child's various family to take care of her in an emergency but apparently they're not particularly interested 😐

Votskomit has issued a correction as of 16:07 on Feb 8, 2024

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

money didn't solve the problem like how it usually does

bougie class brothers and sisters are hosed

If money doesn't solve problems like it used to, and they were priced out of buying a house, I don't think they are of the bougie class anymore, if they ever were.

Chad Sexington posted:

Oh for sure. MIL will constantly drop "oh, but you don't love me" or "you don't trust me" talking to my wife while doing video calls with the 18-month-old. It's like... lady, doing emotional manipulation while literally on the phone with the child is part of why we don't trust you with the child. It's going to get worse when she's older and can understand.

This is of course setting aside that they don't usually stock adult food, much less baby food before we visit. And that after the initial surge of interest in the kiddo, she usually gets sucked into her phone to post photos instead of interacting with the kid.

Not having local support that enables us to have more flexibility or adult time is a bummer. But honestly trying to manage the feelings of a grandparent we don't trust who is actually around all the time would be a bigger headache.

drat, that sucks. Sorry to hear. I have supportive family nearby, which is incredibly helpful for raising a family. Some of them just have limitations I gotta work around...

Sounds like you're doing the right thing there.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

there's no such thing as a regular set of in-laws. I challenge anyone to have four normal as gently caress grandparents.

All my child's grandparents are boomers, but are otherwise decent people.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
$200 a month, 5 days a week, 8am to 1pm. 🇿🇦

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My kid was so impatient to walk that she tried crawling exactly once (did this weird mantis-like wobble thing for a couple of feet then stopped), then skipped all that nonsense to spend a few weeks practicing standing aided/cruising, then doing it all unaided, and then went right to taking her first steps around 8-9 months (she was as big as a 2yo at this point anyway so she had the strength)

can you hook me up with the ent-draught you're feeding your kid?

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

This is a very common stance though.

I am pretty committed to sending our kid to our 2/10 neighborhood elementary because I also think it's important not to bail and that learning at that age is largely based on what you do as a parent anyway. But it's still just a hypothetical to me so I may just be talking poo poo.

Ironically the other closer school is an 8/10 but the reviews from parents are much worse.

How do you tell a good school from a bad one without having a kid there?

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Quality of their clothes, color of their skin.

Forgive me for being forward, but I feel that your nation must be destroyed.

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm excited for some upcoming play dates. My daughter is a lil jerk who takes what she wants.

Good luck. My money is on your daughter.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Leroy Diplowski posted:

My 9yo daughter has been agitating for an increase in allowance but we sort of have all of the household chores that she's capable of taking on accounted for. So, I hired her to be my personal trainer and I gotta say: She has a gift.

I'm not sure if the novelty will wear off, but she's ready to rock and roll at 7am each morning and puts me through an "old man version" of her ballet warmup and some bodyweight exercises with Richard Simmons energy. I even got a pushup PB this morning. I'm not sure I would have set "do the splits" as a fitness goal for myself but who's to argue with a professional.

:lovebird:

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
2 year old now likes to eat food with her hands, but demands we wipe her hands clean after every bite.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I am very empty brain and cold heart when it comes to being separated from my kid for a workday or an afternoon. It is straightforwardly simple to compartmentalize, I simply have faith they will be ok by the time I see them

Same.

"Don't you miss your child when she's visiting grandparent?"
No, not until she is scheduled to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
Wish my kid respected bedtime. She's super inconsistent, even if we are consistent.

At least she's desiring independence and wants to go to bed on her own (she fails, but I appreciate the effort) before she's 2.

Microplastics posted:

And also sell you social interaction. See: $300/mth tinder subscription

Wtf. I'm so glad I'm happily married.