Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
With the impending leveling changes, I might actually use some of the clan roles. With the way it is now, I want to get skills in everything so I can level more. I never let my companions be in charge of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mesadoram posted:

I am not sure why, but this picture makes me feel very uncomfortable...

I would install this as a mod.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There are some excellent mods out there that help with tournaments being more rewarding, including ones that let you set thresholds for reward value or even use a predetermined equipment list, but I don't know how well they're keeping up with patches. Last time I looked into them (1.3ish) they were pretty far behind.

The best one used to be called Tournament XPerience but the dev keeps changing the name.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

based on what we know about the company, will this game be improved a lot over the next couple of years? People here and elsewhere were really hoped about this on release but the thread hasn't moved much and I checked the steam page a few times and it didn't look like they're putting out patches fast.
To your first point: It will definitely continue to be improved.

To your latter points: Most people in the thread who got in on the ground floor have put in their first hundred hours or so and are now in the cycle of wait a few patches, play a little to see what's new, wait a few more patches, etc. The main reason for this I suspect is that the devs are actually patching fast enough that it feels worth it to wait a bit and let the systems mature and the mods develop before plunging in on another run. Here's the last 10 patch dates:

Sep 4
Sep 2
Aug 26
Aug 25
Aug 24
Aug 21
Aug 20
Aug 19
Aug 18
Aug 14

Compared to previous titles, this is extremely fast. While not all of those are earthshattering content updates, they are definitely making progress.

The combat, especially the troop management stuff during combat, was excellent on release and has already been improved multiple times. The kingdom management, economy, and quest stuff is all varying degrees of playable but problematic. The character sheets and skill trees were released with a lot of placeholders that are gradually being filled in. Various mods help with these things, but it can be annoying when your favorite modder takes a break from staying on top of patches when you want to try new features.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's an historical accuracy argument to keep it this way, but it does make early tournaments a lot more reliant on player skill. I'd actually prefer that they keep it as is but just fix the unavailability of good armor for the player. Still hoping we get armor smithing some day, but more RPish options like doing quests or spending influence to get armor from factions would work as well if they don't want to just include the good poo poo in the marketplace.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

punishedkissinger posted:

Does executing enemies actually hurt their war effort?

Fewer lords who can instantly respawn with 30+ troops and magically charge back up to 100+ in a few days. Caveat - I haven't played in 4ish patches, but I assume that this hasn't changed much.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Prisoner recruitment morale penalty incoming, but they'll add offsetting skills. At least it's a lot easier to stock your army's larder with every possible type of food in this version!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

As does recruiting random nobles from random villages but never towns. But yeah, I agree overall, but what was nice about the bandit route, besides the general ease of it, was that it reduced a lot of the randomness from the equation. I'd take a slow, reliable way to get some noble units any day.

There's a ton of mods to Warband that made noble generation sensible and part of mid-endgame kingdom building. Why they aren't using any of them is baffling.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Iymarra posted:

So, looking at wikis isn't helping - I'm trying to find a one handed polearm for use whilst mounted up, something with decent swing/length so that I can use bow/arrow and polearm/shield
Are there one handed polearms that cover this? I've only been able to see two handed so far.

Also, subsequent question - wanderers are randomly generated, right? If they all happen to die, that's it, no more are made after initial worldgen? The world I made just had 4 female hirable NPCs and I wonder if there's a limit, or if re-rolling is a thing.
I've never seen a one handed polearm that you can swing, only thrust, even when swinging is a 2H option. It could probably be modded in. Couched damage from a one handed lance will still one shot everything, but setting it up obviously takes longer than harvesting looters with every swing of your scythe.

Honestly, on all my mounted archer characters I go bow, two quivers, and swingy 2H polearm. I might swap to sword and shield for a siege or something but it's not necessary in open combat.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
They are actually updating fast enough that it's hard for modders to keep up because most updates still break mods. It's not that I want them to go slower, but I am looking forward to when it's Good Enough to have fewer, more substantive patches so that the mod scene can get healthier again. I have actively avoided going back to Warband because I have largely managed to get used to the new game's combat feel and (especially) troop controls, but I have a hankerin' for some full conversion mods.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Grumpy right now, something about this update has me crashing every time I open the encyclopedia.

I'm having fun with a 1.60 game, but I did discover that doing any of the Rival Gangs town quests made my saves unloadable. Not a big loss, those quests are kinda fun because you actually fight in your civilian clothes but it's not like it's ruining my experience to not do them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

For some reason my game isn’t updating to 1.6 even if I verify local files on Steam. Help

Just to rule out the simplest potential issue, you've selected the 1.60 beta in the game properties in your Steam Library right?

Note, when you start 1.60 it will still have a splash screen about the 1.59 notes - look in the bottom left corner of the launcher for the correct version numbers (e.1.6.0.273005).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Oh yeah it’s probably this, cheers!

The thing I dislike about smithing is having to rest. Any mechanic that makes the player sit and do absolutely nothing on a regular basis is a pile of poo poo imo

Agreed, which is why the only mod I'm running on my latest playthrough is one that deals with this: Smith Forever 1.0.3 works on 1.60. It reduces smithing energy costs to 0. There used to be mods that were less drastic that let you regen smithing stamina while moving, but I haven't had any luck with them on this patch.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/41?tab=files

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gyoru posted:

All the misc patch mods were rolled into Kaoses Tweaks including crafting changes (disabling energy/changing regen rates)

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2911

Nice, thanks!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Genghis Cohen posted:

Is there any current mod to remove smithing stamina (and/or to unlock all parts)? It's amazing how unfun and poorly implemented a mechanic it is right now. First of all you can barely get anything done without waiting in town, which is the opposite of what you want to do. Even worse, it doesn't display the stamina bar unless you stop waiting and go in the smithy! You can't even see your progress on the one thing you're waiting for?!

Gyoru posted:

All the misc patch mods were rolled into Kaoses Tweaks including crafting changes (disabling energy/changing regen rates)

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/2911

This lets you, among other things, get unlimited smithing energy and unlock all the parts.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Enjoy posted:

I think it's a function of experience gain. So smelting the expensive javelins and two-handers gives parts quicker.

Yep, once you've got funding, the fastest way to skill smithing and unlock parts is to make and then smelt the highest price stuff you've got.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There's also some policies that help with loyalty though good luck passing any of them if you're not running your own kingdom.

https://mountandblade2bannerlord.wiki.fextralife.com/Kingdom+Management

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It depends what you're doing for money. Not all economic gameplay loops are viable for supporting big, elite armies at this point.

Otherwise, elite troops are pretty much always worth it if you can afford them. They absolutely will trash lower tier units even with a numbers disadvantage.

Really, just smith your way through the early/mid game and you can have whatever troops you want. Makes taking cities and starting workshops to get more sustainable income a lot easier too.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
About 15 hours in to a 1.70 beta run and it's feeling pretty good. Running Kaoses tweaks (https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/3503) with XP gain, skill/stat points per level, tournament bets, smithing stamina regen, party size, and influence/relationship gain all healthily bumped to make it less grindy. As someone who has played the base game to total victory a few times already, it's great for a quick transition to mid game and feeling more powerful more quickly on a new playthrough. I also jacked up looter armies to be 4x normal size per multiple poster recommendations and it makes training up an independent army much easier without being at war.

Recent changes feel good, including sieges, in-context scenes, and pre-battle positioning. I do wish the pre-battle positioning allowed more flexibility in how far forward you could place your troops - perhaps this is something that could scale off tactics skill or some kind of perk.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
As someone with thousands of hours of M&B combat, I don't want to just drop :gitgud: and walk out, but if you're struggling in a duel with a bandit chief, turn on auto block direction, turn down difficulty, or just do some arena brawls to help get a better feel for blocking and timing swings. Focus on blocking and then striking after successful blocks. Chamber blocking, fancy footwork, high end gear, and big character stats/skills are not needed to 1v1 any of the AI in this game.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

JerikTelorian posted:

One thing I really wish the game had was some sort of Homestead/Lair for nonaffiliated characters where you could get bonuses akin to a settlement. It would be neat to play as an unaffiliated Trader or Merc into the late game but the lack of holdings makes it hard to save troops for later or stow equipment; or assign one of your lieutenants to train up peons.

Would love to see a feature that let you kit out a bandit lair as a base of operations, whether you were using it as a law-abiding merc or a raider yourself. Multiple warband mods had things like this.

MikeCrotch posted:

Maybe I just need to spend time in the arena yeah - I think my main annoyances were that the sea raider boss seems way, way harder than the other bandit bosses, and the inordinate amount of time you lose if you gently caress up that one fight.

I will say I'm finding Bannerlord combat a lot more unforgiving than Warband in some respects? 2 handed especially all my Warband reflexes seem to be loving me up on horseback and foot - I'm expecting my weapon to be longer than it is I think and so swinging and missing a lot as I just can't quite get the range right.

The shield bash + stab in face tactic won me a tournament though so thanks for that whoever that was.

That actually makes more sense if you're fighting habits from Warband but definitely makes me think you just need to spend more time whacking dudes in the arena etc. to get your habits adjusted. I agree that weapons feel shorter in general and that the improved and more natural looking swing animations especially from horseback have different timing and feeling than Warband, but I've gotten pretty used to it (I've also avoided going back to Warband because I know I'll have to relearn both games again). I also don't think foot combat is nearly as big of an issue, but there's still some differences, like learning to take advantage of the repeated swing follow-through animations.

EDIT: Also, try bringing a harder hitting piercing or blunt weapon to the sea raider chief fight. They don't get impacted by armor dmg reduction as much. Two-handed cutting weapons (swords/axes/polearms) work fine too - I'm a big fan of axes because overhead swings damage through blocks and you can cleave multiple shitters at a time.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 12, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

Two-handed axes do indeed cleave. It's their main advantage compared to polearms' reach and two-handed swords' (general) reach, speed, and stab.

With my current axe I usually kill two people per swing on foot and definitely two while mounted, if they're close. The problem is that its fairly slow and I'm not actually sure that a faster swinging sword wouldn't be better, with better reach. I'll work on it once I unlock more crafting patterns.

Yeah, the stock 2H axes aren't great, but you can make some nice ones for super cheap. This is a T3 head on a T4 long handle with a successful masterwork roll:

Base stats should be something like this, ~170 difficulty

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just like warband, there's not much need for a mod manager for bannerlord. Put the individual mod folders inside (steam default) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules and then you can enable/disable them and specify launch order in the regular game launcher.

The only issue you'll run into is needing to unblock the DLL files in the mods, which you can do manually or with something like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/397

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

ZombyDog posted:

My issue is I'm a serial restarter and I hate the glacial grinding so I'll happily use Kaoses tweaks updated to take the pain away.
:same:

My 1.70 playthrough was much more enjoyable with most things (XP, skill/attribute points, influence, smithing stamina gain, etc.) bumped to ~2-3x their normal rate.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thank you all for the very helpful advice. I really want to use those mods, but I am a little intimidated by how it seems to work for bannerlord. The text on Nexusmods seems to say I need to download a separate launcher, then (for Kaoses tweaks specifically) download about 8 other mods in a specific order? This seems likely to go wrong.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Just like warband, there's not much need for a mod manager for bannerlord. Put the individual mod folders inside (steam default) C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules and then you can enable/disable them and specify launch order in the regular game launcher.

The only issue you'll run into is needing to unblock the DLL files in the mods, which you can do manually or with something like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/397
Should look like this in the launcher when you're done:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yep - most of the time the game version support will be noted on the Nexus mod page. That (and maybe a quick cruise of the comments) will let you know if the mod will work better than anything the launcher says. Sometimes old versions of mods work just fine too - just depends if the game devs have updated anything that breaks them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's a lot easier to complete those now if you have the perks that let you trash gear for troop XP, especially if you have a companion/garrison to temporarily dump all your other troops over to.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

How much experience do 50k denar swords give when you let your troops eat them?

I looked last time I played and it was only 300xp, so I would bet it's capped at that.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you are sufficiently lucky/ninja-like you can get up a ladder and down to the main gate and open it from the inside.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is an amusing article: a quick NPC lord perspective on what it's like to live in the same world as the PC playing on easy difficulty.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-existential-horror-of-playing-mount-and-blade-2-on-easy-mode/

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Gonna do a gimmick black flag run where I execute any lord I capture.

Fair warning, it's hard to go back to playing normally after doing this. Yeah your lord relations will be garbage but that doesn't matter if you kill all the lords!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

wilderthanmild posted:

how is babby formed? How girl get pragnent?
You gotta be together. Have your wife in party or go wait around in the castle where she's chilling until you get the notification.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Glass of Milk posted:

Wasn't there a mod that combined Bannerlord with Crusader Kings 3?

I don't even care about tediously creating a kingdom in this game. I just want increasingly large and chaotic battles where I can smack somebody with an axe/hammer/etc.

To that end, they really need more varied random armies on the map, like deserters and stuff. There's a very noticeable jump when suddenly you're slaughtering roving thieves without taking damage and it's kind of annoying.

What they really need is some kind of end-game doom scenario, kind of like battle brothers or something, where giant armies of the dead/demons/what have you start razing all the towns and the goal becomes to defeat them. That would be vastly more satisfying than trying to bribe enough lords to come with you or whatever.

Lots of Warband mods have this feature including the aforementioned PoP, so that's likely the best place to look for it in this game as well. I first encountered it in Native Expansion with the dark knight invasion. I'm hoping someone replicates that style of mod for bannerlord -light fixes, QOL stuff, and just a bit of content to add mid and endgame stuff to do.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Start blacksmithing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Goddamit, in my current run I’ve ended up as a Vlandian cultured vassal to Caladog and the Battanians, and this is getting super old. They keep launching wars, getting nowhere and then making peace under crippling tribute conditions. Meanwhile because of the culture penalty my loyalty levels in my single fief are so low that I can’t even build anything.

What should I do? Drop the vassalage and go someplace else? I can’t exaggerate how bad Battania is in this run- I can’t even form an army most of the time as basically every party in the kingdom is constantly below 40% strength.

Get a Bat culture companion and make them governor. Or cut your losses, eat the relationship penalty, join the Vlandians, and murder the Battanians.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
M&B mods have never been hard to deal with for an even slightly competent PC user, just throw another folder in the mod directory and make sure the files are unlocked. But I hope this helps less savvy folks enjoy the joys of mods.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If anyone actually tries it, please report back on what it's like. I've literally never heard anyone show actual gameplay or talk about how it actually plays or if it's balanced or even functional.

I'm going to check it out this weekend - the required open source armory mod download being 6GB and me limited to the free nexus account rate of 1.5MB/s makes this a bit of a chore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

edit: wait you mentioned companion parties. I've only ever had one party of my 4 captains for each inf/arch/cav/horse archers (me). I never looked into making other parties. Can you control them directly and move the around like your own? I've never looked into it.
Yeah you can have your companions lead parties separate from yours. Normally they run around and do stupid poo poo/get captured, but you can integrate them into your Army (have to be a member or ruler of a kingdom to do this IIRC) at 0 influence cost so that you can exceed your solo troop cap and compete with the NPC mega blobs on siege/defense. Once you are huge enough, you can autobattle your way to victory in a lot of situations without running the same tedious scene battle for the Nth time.