Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I mean I agree but having been to Italy on several occasions, as well as having an Italian best friend and met his extended family etc it is rare to meet an Italian who doesn't smoke, in my experience.

If smoking is as major a risk factor as people are thinking, Greece, Serbia and Russia are in for a wild time. They're third, fourth and seventh in smoking rates according to the WHO, while Italy is a modest 47th. We're in 67th place, but seem to have a higher rate of smoking-related illnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Tarnop posted:

So they're offering higher wages to attract workers, right? Right?

Why? They'll just draw them from the NHS volunteer pool.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Wachter posted:

LOL nice one, Beeb. Add another gammon bullshit talking point to my previously published checklist: "ahhh, but you don't know that all those people definitely died of covids :smuggo:"

It amazes me how many people shouting "Preexisting Conditions!" are ignoring the fact that one of the reasons we have so many people with these conditions is that modern medicine lets us manage these conditions for years, sometimes indefinitely. Most of the people making these arguments are probably on blood pressure or diabetes medication.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Kin posted:

Is there a decent website for totally novice people looking to grow their own veg?

I'm talking a step by step guide with links to things to buy and explanations for any and all jargon.

I basically just wanna try growing poo poo like potatoes, carrots, broccoli etc but have absolutely no idea where to begin.

How much land do you have? Some vegetables can be grown in containers if you don't have a garden, even potatoes.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Kin posted:

Got a pretty big back garden that we're getting done up during the summer, but i don't wanna go nuts to begin with. I've got a bad back too so was thinking an elevated planter or something like that to begin with so i can move it about after the garden's redone.

A raised bed sounds your best bet then. They're easy as hell to make. Simply screw 4 wide planks together into a rectangle, lay cardboard on the grass to kill it, and fill with soil. Mixing in some manure if you can get it is good. Keep it narrow enough that it's easy to weed without reaching too far over.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jippa posted:

Anyone been out today? I was expecting loads of people but it was very quiet. No real queue at the supermarket.

There's definitely more traffic going past my house today in a touristy area of North Wales. I've heard anecdotally that quite a few people sneaked up here with camper vans and to holiday homes last night, and that quite a few non-locals have been spotted in the local supermarkets complaining that there's no bbq supplies on the shelves.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of beer I found out recently that I quite like newkie brown despite not generally liking any sort of beer drink.

Are there any other things in that vein that I should try if so? I like that it's not particularly bitter, just a nice rounded flavour to it, sort of earthy and pleasant.

Samuel Smiths' Nut Brown Ale is very nice, if rather expensive and hard to get hold of. I do remember reading that the owner is an Enemy of the People for some reason. My personal favourite at the moment is St Peters Best Bitter. It comes in a very nice bottle, isn't too bitter, and you can still get a case delivered mid-lockdown via Amazon. They also do an Organic Ale which is stronger at about 5% and is bitter on steroids. I like it, but i's not for everyone.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Noxville posted:

The real tragedy is that isborisjohnsondeadyet.com has already been bought by a reseller

Try isalexanderborisdepfeffeljohnsondeadyet.com

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Whoever guessed Trump would be trying to finish Johnson off with an anti-malariarial overdose was predictably correct. He's been on television pushing Johnson to take what I can only guess would be a massive Chloraquine suppository. If Boris does pull through, Trump will probably be boasting for weeks about how he personally saved his life.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

RE: Bojo's bizzare adventure, isn't being on ventilation really bad for you cos it fucks your air holes in your lungs up?

Pretty much. Apparently it can take months to recover anything close to normal lung function if you work at it (which Boris won't).

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Barry Foster posted:

Do we believe he's not getting ventilated, or could they be trying to cover up how well he was/is?

If he was, somebody would have leaked it by now.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sebzilla posted:

I definitely don't need solidarity fund money to buy a new laptop, thanks though Ms A!

After a bit of searching about this one seems like a pretty solid deal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T460-i5-6300U-2-4GHz-512GB-SSD-16GB-Ram-Windows-10-Laptop-HDMI-/153847380126

Any big red flags why I shouldn't get it at the price? Newish i5 (6300U), 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.

The only obvious thing I can see that would put me off is no dedicated graphics card. Depends what you want to do with it, but even a mediocre dedicated card is better than onboard graphics.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Those figures seem to be based on the conclusion that Jesus himself comes down to earth and starts handing out miracle cures left, right and centre. Coincidentally, this seems to be the strategy quite a few US evangelicals are taking.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Red Oktober posted:

Probably paddy power at 10/11.

Pence might be worth a small bet at 50-1. Going into an election with the incumbent and challenger both in their 70s during a pandemic that hits the elderly hard has to make for an interesting contest. Especially since the Great Orange One makes a point about deliberately not following medical advice.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Working from which home? Their first or second?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

sebzilla posted:

USA, probably

1858 official deaths there yesterday, but they're almost definitely under reporting.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lambert posted:

Bing says 1990

1858 would be the day before, then.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

BalloonFish posted:

I quickly grew tired of explaining this to people on social media (yeah, I know, I brought that on myself...). Including some.guy who was desperate to make this an example not only of BBC waste and profligacy but of the BBC actively killing people by hoarding medical equipment, pandemic or no. Even though it's massively cheaper and easier to just buy ventilators than to make realistic-looking props.

Ventilators weren't really all that expensive or sought-after until the virus spiked demand for them through the roof. Supreme irony would be if the BBC snapped them up cheap as props from an Austerity -hit NHS trust forced to reduce intensive care capacity. It probably took until now for someone in the props department to realise they were actually working units rather than just boxes that go beep.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 11, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

peanut- posted:

Can you imagine the kind of person that would volunteer for this job

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/1248982829607854081

I knew someone who's favourite pastime as a teenager was standing on the side of busy roads in a high-vis coat, pointing a hairdryer at cars. He also collected emergency services uniform. Highlights of his career include being a beach warden and police community support officer. This is just the kind of powertrip that would appeal to him. No longer being allowed near children probably rules him out, though.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

Has Trump reintroduced malaria to Florida yet?

That would be impossible at the moment, as everyone in Florida is overdosing on anti-malarials.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’ve got a letter from my employer as well as a sign I’ve chucked on my van’s dashboard. My partner also has a letter from her employer, and I’ve got a copy I keep in my car in case I get stopped after taking her into work.

I would just have to speak the secret codewords Welsh, and the police would probably let me go on my way. The police here are all out trying to find camper vans and second home owners.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
The moment we get even a mild relaxation of the lockdown, plenty of people are going to see it as a sign that it's ok to rush out and do everything that's been denied to them for the last couple of months, especially if the weather is decent. On the very first day, the beaches and parks will be packed, and social distancing will go out of the window.

I'm expecting a relaxation sooner rather than later, and expect my workplace to be reopened by the end of May at the earliest. I think the exact date will depend on the government and public perception of how well or badly the relaxations in continental Europe work out, and any mild good news fro there will result in us 'going in hot'.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Skarsnik posted:

What is it with hairdressers being such a big deal?

Just as with bogroll, being able to have your hair cut is a symbolic representation of normality for a lot of people, and hair salons are also a prime example of the type of small business the government is sending to the wall.

Personally, hairdressers should be one of the last places to reopen. By their very nature they can't employ social distancing, and unless they're taping hair clippers to broom handles, they would need a hell of a lot of PPE to work safely.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 19, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Gloves and mask for the stylist, cleaning the chairs etc between customers (the implements are all meant to be cleaned between each use anyway) and distancing in the waiting area and a couple of big bottles of hand sanitiser should be enough, surely?

If the nursing homes are struggling to get masks and hand sanitiser, how are the hairdressers going to be able to? Or even afford it?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Dabir posted:

there's going to be a load of properties going for cheap that are perfect for use as a pub, you say?

A lot of people in the pub industry are worried that this is going to wipe out free houses. The concern is that they don't have the reserves or support to survive this, and the large pubcos with the cash reserves or credit facilities to do so are going to rush in and buy the lot at firesale prices.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Dabir posted:

anyone know how to check how many tory MPs have shares in major pubcos

Do you need to? I think you can safely assume it's most of them. Several are big Tory donors, too. Tim Martin of Wetherspoons infamy regularly gives the Tories the odd 50 grand he finds down the back of the sofa, and is undoubtedly one of those lobbying hard at the moment for an early reopening speedrun.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do they include care homes / home deaths yet?

Not yet. I read somewhere that if care home deaths were included, we would have passed 20,000 last week.

The Nightingale hospitals and other excess capacity is definitely being prepared at the moment to cope with a glut of cases once things start to be reopened. The idea behind the lockdown was to buy time for the NHS to build this capacity. The lockdown itself seems to be working a lot better than anyone predicted considering the delay in implementing it, which seems to be prompting the government to jump the gun with an early reopening.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Barry Foster posted:

I have really ominous feelings about the government forcing everyone back to work. Something smells really, really bad about this

Somebody in the USPOL thread was saying that private equity groups have been lobbying hard for an early reopening. Their standard operating procedure of buying a company with it's own debt, mortgaging it to the point that it can barely service the debt, and then asset-stripping it doesn't really leave much of a buffer against even a moderate downturn. And when a company does fail, they tend not to lose any sleep about just walking away and dropping the whole mess of redundancy payments, pension liabilities and bankrupted creditors right into the government's lap. Considering how much of the British retail and manufacturing sectors they own, it would be understandable if people are getting nervous.

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 21, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My rural Welsh village had it's first two known cases yesterday. Up until now, we've avoided it. One of the two works in the village shop, so considering the fact that every pensioner goes in there without fail every day for their morning newspaper like arthritic lemmings, it's probably everywhere.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Oh dear me posted:

It's definitely not good, but I wonder how different it will be. I do not personally know a single (non-self-)employed person irl who has been able to stop work this whole time.

A lot of manufacturing and support companies have either closed doors or dropped down to a skeleton crew. My workplace had to close as none of our suppliers were still trading.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

Or the working age people living with an elderly or vulnerable relative. Lock Grandad in his bedroom and post meals through a catflap?

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

With the death of a sikh A&E consultant, Manjeet Singh Riyat, yesterday, I'd like to know why so many BAME health workers have died compared to non-BAME. I hope 'they' are going to look into this at some point.

Certain BAME groups are more susceptible to the kind of existing conditions that makes people vulnerable to the virus such as diabetes and high blood pressure, and tend to develop them at an earlier age. Also, the NHS has a higher proportion of BAME staff than the general population, especially in clinical roles.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting.

Also, it's possible that it's down to bad luck. There luckily haven't been enough NHS staff deaths yet for any meaningful statistical pattern to emerge.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

You can get .22 blanks for starting pistols and some nail guns, but yeah they're all centerfire cartridges so probably 8mm.

Not a very good picture, so it's difficult to tell, but you can get airsoft guns that eject brass 'cases' in the name of realism. The cartridges are a hollow tube, with the BB slotted into the end, and the pistol uses co2 to eject them. No idea why somebody would want one, as the cartridges are expensive as hell, and finding them all afterwards would be a nightmare.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

Props I get, and birds I guess make sense, it's just surprising that people would actually go out and make semi auto blank guns or that they'd be legal in the UK. Would have thought they'd constitute too much of a risk of being turned into actual firearms by boring out the barrel or something.

They're pretty much a toy or a film prop, and none of these are manufactured in the UK. They're built in such a way as to make converting the to fire live rounds prohibitively difficult to impossible. Even if you could get them to accept live rounds or hotloaded blanks, anyone trying to fire them would be picking bits of the gun out of their hand and face.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's one model of starter pistol that was very easily converted to *reliably* fire .22 rimfire (also getting around the ammo availability problem) that was very popular with the scrotes in the 90s and early 00s. Obviously it was only the little target shooting rounds, so you pretty much had to be at point-blank range to kill someone (and even then it was a tossup - my neighbour's ex-husband got shot with one twice at point-blank range - one round bounced off his skull, and one went through his cheek and broke a couple of teeth).

Of course since they formed UK BORDER FORCE and told them to keep the forrins out, gutting the HMRC teams that used to inspect incoming cargo containers, huge amounts of proper guns and ammo have flooded the market, another triumph of Keeping Britane Safe by David Blunkett (although now I think of it it might have been Jacqui Smith, but it certainly feels like a Blunkett policy).

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/features/air-cartridge-system-10-years-later/

This might be an interesting read for anyone interested. These were very popular in the 90s and early 2000s, but could be converted to fire live ammunition with varying degrees of success. Pretty much blanket banned with no compensation in 2003, something a lot of shooters are still understandably upset about today.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

justcola posted:

Is there any sort of timeline for what's happening with coronavirus in the United States? I've been a bit busy with stuff happening here, but from what I can piece together from here and there it seems the whole country is quite fragile.

They're top of the list in terms of overall deaths, but their confirmed deaths as a % of population is about half ours. Their statistics are a mess however, as they have 50 different state administrations testing at different rates to different criteria. There's definitely some political fudging of figures going on, so there are probably some states that are mostly coronavirus-free but experiencing an uptick in completely unrelated pneumonia deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

What happened to put Belgium at the top of the list? More accurate and honest reporting, or have they actually been hit the hardest?

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 23, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm morbidly curious as to what the worst impact of opening B&Q up again is: More Coronavirus cases, or more 1st time DIYers putting a drill bit through their hands. After working in DIY stores for years, I wouldn't trust the majority of customers there with a screwdriver, let alone powertools.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jedit posted:

And a non-zero number of people will be there because B&Q sell dust masks.

Good luck finding any there. They usually don't stock that many of them, and were cleared out way before the lockdown. Anything in their distribution network will have long gone with online and click & collect orders.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

bessantj posted:

Anyone know if ASDA have a dedicate time period for vulnerable people to use their store?

NHS yes, elderly and vulnerable, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Josef bugman posted:

How much is everyone managing to survive on in terms of money spent on food?

I've worked out that even with beer money I can usually do about 10 days on 50 pounds.

Probably spending a bit more than usual because I've been getting more from the local shop rather than travelling to supermarkets. It's more than balanced out by not buying food at work every day.