Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

ah yes, the original Tiger King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Wow, President Newsom!

hello Robocop future

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

good news guys my corona results were positive goin to the bar cya

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

that carrier with 200 plague marines is trying to offload on Guam

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

1 day of new data and already this model doesn't seem believable

is that for america? assuming they ever unified and got their poo poo together like SK, maybe. but that'll never happen

america's already balkanized and even if the blue states survive Trump trying to murder them and get a hold on this, they'll constantly be importing new cases from old testament plague states

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

holy poo poo

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

but didn't she say her wealth and investments were managed by third parties and completely beyond her control (she still totally deserves it tho)

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

twoday posted:

I feel terrible for [those countries] but this is amazing [data]

India has the soviet style BCG vaccine right? the last of that logarithmic graph I saw still had them still doing surprisingly well

Apraxin posted:

loving :bravo: boris, excellent job

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah that's my rationale for why bioweapon stuff is nonsense, this virus would make an absolutely terrible and uncontrollable weapon.

For some fun history back in the heyday of the cold war they were designing all kinds of things beyond hydrogen bombs. We've all heard of neutron bombs which are meant to destroy life with a blast of neutrons but limit the explosive nature of the bomb to keep buildings intact (perfect for invading a country and wiping out the people but saving the factories to use yourself). Well there was another bomb of that type they designed but never built, the cobalt bomb: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt_bomb This thing was purposefully designed to end all life on a planet, period. It throws up an enormous cloud of highly radioactive fallout that poisons all the plants and slowly destroys the world. The never built it because, holy gently caress why would you build a weapon like that.

my fave coldwar project was this Dr Strangelove madness. They are pretty sure Russia was testing something similar in that crash last year:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a28690053/russia-nuclear-powered-missile-skyfall/

quote:

The United States tried to develop a nuclear-powered cruise missile in the 1950s and 1960s but abandoned the project as impractical. The weapon was known as Supersonic Low Altitude Missile, or SLAM, and it would have been the most dangerous nuclear weapon ever made.

The missile would fly unusually low for a missile of its time, just 1,000 feet, to avoid enemy radars. The supersonic shockwave was projected to leave a trail of devastation, flattening forests, buildings, and killing anyone in the missile's flight path.

SLAM, despite being advertised as a missile, was actually more like an unmanned bomber. Instead of a single warhead, it carried up to 26 hydrogen bombs, each hundreds of times more powerful than the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. SLAM could fly a predetermined route over an enemy country or even continent, ejecting H-bombs on targets below. Once out of bombs SLAM would fly one last mission, running into a final target that would shower the target zone with lethal radioactivity.

I heard a version of the story (Project Pluto) where they contracted a company specializing in ceramics to design the reactor manifold because steel kept melting, the Coors Porcelain Company. After this project they stopped military contracts to focus on their pet project, brewing beer.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

i've noticed a lot more firetrucks rolling out lately

I assume from all the people cooking for the first time

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

an actual enforced quarantine or lockdown in the US would make our typical level of gun violence, obscene though it may be, look like a loving teletubbies script

is this when we finally witness the power of a well regulated militia versus drone strikes

not that trumo would bomb chuds. he'll probably deputize them to clean up any survivors of his urban pogroms

Durf has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Apr 1, 2020

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

U-DO Burger posted:

his doctors have been saying for years that he's super healthy and you didn't loving listen

untold medical from the standpoint of health

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

SK owns

any numbers from North Korea yet or have they gone dark like in World War Z

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

with Trump "take a gamble" means always go with the best possible outcome (no matter how unlikely) requiring the least amount of effort

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

i like these moments in design evolution before a crucial discovery (in this case gun magazines) and the solution is 'make existing thing but MORE'

just like how before revolvers people carried 6 flintlocks on their person

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

lol wasn't there a parody tweet along this line a week ago

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

cash crab posted:

our premier today said he was refusing to release information about projected infections and deaths in case people “panicked”

and Doug Ford said ontario might be looking like Italy soon

land of contrasts

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Definitely broke my brain a bit thinking about how much covid has affected singers and musicians from famous people to choir groups.

despite being famous, 99% of musicians are probably not well off and are likely to actually die from this thing

Durf has issued a correction as of 04:49 on Apr 2, 2020

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

tonight I learned that Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world

probably fine

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

*millions dying*

Trump & Kush Inc: Gimme de cash!!!!

https://twitter.com/fight4freedom72/status/1246040950109077506

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Not a Children posted:

lmao we're going to see 90% of America's soft power in the 1st world evaporate in the span of 3 months

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I'm guessing Meghan's angle is 'he isn't helping his own people, why should he help anyone else'

crabs in a buckeeeet

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

lol at any hope for climate action when people continue to think bad things only happen to other people somewhere else

nevermind planning months or years out, lets only take action when we are personally neck deep in poo poo

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/horiyourmeeh/status/1246156633966817280

:pray:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

:pray:

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Someone please explain to me why I'm wrong :(

you're not

you may want to stay indoors and limit your news intake for the next month or two

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Inceltown posted:

More updates on how the chattering class Australians are handling the roni

convenient all these people come with cloth already tied around their necks

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

righteous slaps for all the corrupt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P49X-fVrvcM&t=24s

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I just watched Contagion. LMAO what an absurdly optimistic fairytale

i wanna see an updated version where the scientists are ordered to destroy their samples because Jared Kushner recieved a hot tip from facebook that aquarium tablets kill the virus

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

whats happening in taiwan

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1246457007214931968

pictured: the liberation of New York City

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Rashaverak posted:

I am so loving gassy from all these beans. I thought I was supposed to get used to this, jesus... I'm going to be celibate by the time this is over if I keep eating beans. My wife will leave me.

Also Texas isn't letting me recert my 18 months expired paramedic so I can't join the fun yet. Maybe they'll let me soon...

apparently you can reduce gas with baking soda, pressure cooking, soaking, or epazote

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/degassing-beans/

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

tsunami footage/stories are one of those rare things that stuck with me and hosed me up

people running onto the empty beach then welp, guess what ocean's back and the height of buildings now

this one guy told the story of him and his wife getting thrown around inside a building like a washing machine, he lost his grip and never saw her again :(

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Yuli Ban posted:

2) The media is hyping up COVID-19 as a Millennial/Zoomer Remover because kids still think that it's not going to affect them and go out & gently caress around and spread it like assholes. I think there might also be some anti-Millennial bias in there among the more rightist press, but for the most part, it's inforunners trying to scare youths into taking things seriously by exaggerating how badly the under-30 crowd has it (i.e. not anywhere near as badly as the over-30 crowd).

the people i've seen taking this the least seriously are teens and seniors. just wandering aimlessly like nothing's wrong. perhaps neither are afraid of death, for different reasons

Morbus posted:

pancakes are a taco

poptarts are sandwiches

crab is rock with meat inside

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

jetz0r posted:

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1246101690790621186

States working together because the federal government is useless.

Maybe they should form some coalition with nearby states and pool resources that would have gone to the feds.

dude you're closer to the Chinese than Cuomo, let's get this C.S.A thing rolling

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

who replaces him if he dies? Farage? Sargon of Akkad?

thinking of the most hellworld outcome for the UK's continuing death spiral

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Spoondick posted:

https://twitter.com/eshap/status/1087701336358031360?s=19

charlie kirk was denied healthcare before it was mainstream

reminder that he 'threw out his back' while in a hotel room with chud Hogg, a minor at the time

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Business Gorillas posted:

this is the dems marching their olds to vote for biden and die hth

biden loses

poo poo gets so bad trump finally sees blame

olds too dead to vote

AOC communist sweep 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

cool how soon until Pappy Trumo loses patience and starts up the Chud rallies again. a week? please?