Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao, wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lacrosse posted:

I think Doomsday preppers were secretly hoping for a blank check to murder a whole bunch of people they didn't like, but since this situation didn't give them that chance they're done with this so-called apocalypse thank you very much. This was my theory at why zombies as a genre was so popular a while back.

That the "zombie" range targets looked like Obama was a bit of a give-away.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

these are extremely small and it’s discouraging they get amplified

Crack ping, baby

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Relevant Tangent posted:

reminder that the republicans are trying to bankrupt the post office by making it have a hundred years worth of pensions so they can completely privatize it and crush mail carriers out of spite

Trump personally wants to crush them to gently caress over Bezos, specifically.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1257273801127022592

I don't know when I'll feel safe getting on a plane again, lmao

Also, "easily canceled"

"Oh god, please start buying tickets again"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Schnorkles posted:

A friend of mine had to travel to go home and sent a picture of the nearest international airport where she flew out of.

It was a ghost town. I've never seen anything like it.

I drove by Newark airport and seeing the apron basically empty was crazy.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Anachronist posted:

I thought I read that the full guideline was don’t stand within 6 feet for more than 10 minutes. So blazing by someone on the trail is okay. I also read that way back before the cdc recommended ordinary mask wearing so maybe the 10 minutes bit was just hopeful naivete on their part also.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1257318564056444928?s=20

lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Comfortable task chairs went through the roof once people started working from home en masse too.

I had to buy a webcam for zoom poo poo and it was stupidly expensive

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Schnorkles posted:

lemme tell you hiring in this poo poo is a complete disaster

I have a friend who just got hired, and he went through at least 12 zoom calls and had an in-person interview that was conducted 12 feet apart with masks on.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://www.biketrainerworld.com/stationary-bike-stands/ + Youtube

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Someone saw the legal blowback coming and jumped ship.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

quote:

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was even more explicit, saying on Sunday that the coronavirus originated in a research laboratory in Wuhan, China, where the virus first appeared.

Casus belli, baby. Did you forget you were in Hellworld?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Hell yes. Nate's gonna crack ping live on twitter

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

uncop posted:

I'm afraid that there will eventually be a popular backlash when people start feeling like they've been betrayed as they've been doing what they were told but it hasn't seemed like their actions had been making the kind of difference that they had imagined.

Trump himself just let it slip that they're expecting 200,000 cases A DAY by June 1, this poo poo is just getting started.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/isaacstonefish/status/1257332682683559939?s=20

The world will be divided into those capable of the social cohesion to mitigate the virus and those who dehumanized themselves and faced to Roni.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Yeah they're also predicting 3,000 deaths PER DAY in the same breath, which is 90k a month. So far there have only been 69k deaths (nice).

There's going to be another panic.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Crazyweasel posted:

it kind of bungles my mind that there is still misinformation or just straight up missing information on how this is transmitted. Like people want to go out and poo poo is going to reopen, but you’d hope there’s be at least updated/better studies transmission info, but alas keep 6 ft away maybe and also wash your hands every now and then!!! wear a mask! wow helpful! maybe tell people exactly how they can shop safely, walk outside/exercise safely, go to dr appointments safely, etc. at least try and mitigate the crazies

The data is out there, it's just that nobody in charge wants to deal with the implications. It's not 6 ft, it's more like 13 ft. People are contagious for days before they feel sick. It can persist for hours aerosolized in still air.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

A bunch of pages back but I gotta ask how you have a computer in 2020 that doesn't have a built in webcam? I have an old iMac and an old Thinkpad I bought for $20 each and they have webcams.

Easy, it's a DIY desktop and who the gently caress buys a webcam for a gaming/shitposting machine. Except now it's also my office computer and every meeting is zoom now ~for reasons~. I'm glad I bought a comfortable chair last year.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I can't wait for the only restaurants to survive to be the lovely national chains that chuds love.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The good news is that robust T and B cell immune responses correlate with virus clearance, which means serology testing is an accurate measure of immunity. It also means those vaccines directed against the spike protein (which is most of them) have a good chance of success.

The bad news is that productive T and B cell immunity was directed exclusively against the spike protein and not the nucleocapsid. and when combined with data that the COVID spike protein is already mutating suggests that the virus will behave like the flu and cold and come in cyclic outbreaks and that any successful vaccine will also have to change to stay one step ahead of the virus. They also found individuals who had little to no detectable antibody response which means some people may not develop long lasting immunity.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They rolled through with pay cuts and layoffs today. I've never been so relieved to eat a -15% poo poo sandwich.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nate getting huffy at the bush league numbers fuckery of the Trump admin is hilarious.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

can someone explain to me why the excel thing is funny

i only use excel to have a bunch of nested ifs

Someone literally clicked through all the available trendline options and picked the one showing a downward trend.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao

Phase 1: open businesses, try to ignore virus

Phase 2: ???????

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm getting increasingly combative with my parents as they keep telling me I need to demand more ppe from my hospital and I try to explain that there is still no meaningful increase in production, trump has done loving nothing, and kushner is stealing it all. Then I get all the fox news points of its the states responsibility to prepare for and get through a pandemic and trump is doing everything possible and it's Obama's fault.

Send them the story about how the governor of Maryland had to hide the test kits and PPE from the feds, using the national guard and state police to defend the stockpile.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

twoday posted:

Good news, everyone

https://twitter.com/Shermichael_/status/1257639676200005633?s=19

Also the mutations are happening in the spike protein which is what many of the vaccines have been designed to target

That's evolution, baby

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Am I reading it right that Trump fucks over his mercenaries like he did his construction contractors? Because lmao :chaostrump:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Look, all you have to do is vote for republicans, and then you get federal help. It's that easy.

Trump is going to crush the democratic party out of existence.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I'm going to one-up him and just dump it on the floor

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

it's happening

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1257858161022767106?s=20

crack ping, eric

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Philthy posted:

perhaps, but he was obama's dagger during the debates and sealed the wins

one of the greatest threads on the forums was when joe debated that smug gently caress paul ryan and curb stomped their bid into oblivion, i wouldn't write him off - he does know how to call people out on their bullshit to their faces

Joe's brain can't do that anymore.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I can't wait to see the goalpost moving, gaslighting, and delusion that happens when the lockdowns end and workers are thrown to the virus, yet the economy continues to circle the drain.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

holy loving lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I know good positive hopes are banned and laughable in this thread, but maybe all this virus research will lead to cures for other viruses like the regular Flu, HIV or herpes, a possible silver lining :3:

We've never seen this many resources thrown at a vaccine before. Something will work, just not by August.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

u get worker’s compensation if you get it at work (for now). cops and such don’t even have to prove they got it at work in some states

that will probably all fall apart

There's a proposal to exempt employers from liability for coronavirus claims. Lmao

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

I don’t know if that means worker’s compensation or it means more general commercial liability (for example suing McDonald’s because you AS A CUSTOMER OR CONTRACTOR contracted it from a McDonald’s )

the former is ludicrous and a non starter . the later makes some sense (in liberal world ) and would jsut be the normal bail out of insurance

Yeah, nobody knows right now. Obviously business groups are pushing for broad immunity.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The Alpha Centauri posted:

this is when civil unrest really starts to get going

unless checks get cut super quick and consistently

Ah! Well, nevertheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Thoguh posted:

Lmao laws aren't real for angry white people.

same as it ever was