Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I think his message of "shoot unarmed people" resonates well with his base.

George Floyd wasn't loving shot. He was choked to death. I genuinely don't see how anyone can consider this an acceptable talking point from any vantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it is trivially easy to make a non-violent protest violent unless the protesters are very disciplined, which requires organisation - and these protests aren't very tightly organised. at the moment public sympathy is with the protests, but that can change very quickly indeed. if this goes on for a week or two more and then peters out, it's good for biden. if it doesn't, he's got a real problem on his hands that he's not going to be able to solve easily

I think the opposite is true. If rioting dissipates, Trump can easily run on a law and order platform. He will take credit for suppressing the unrest, and have a new scape goat to rally against. If the demonstrations continue, Trump loses the only thing he has going for him: The illusion of strength. People vote for him because they love the "strong man" position. They think he can wrestle any problem to the ground. That narrative does not play well if he can't control the populace.

Imagine a position so fragile that you spend 10$ buying a mod an avatar for something as even handed as THIS.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the problem, of course, is that it's a little harder to pull off this scam when the protests happen on your watch because, like you're sort of getting at, either you made it go away and i no longer worry about it, or you completely failed to make them go away and so why would i vote for you to make them go away.

We tend to assume that voters will always go to the polls. However, I think a large portion of this is voter turnout. If Trump is visibly unable to control the riots, then those who would normally support him might become disenchanted and stay home. Of course, a certain amount of that is already going to to happen to Biden regardless, so it would really be a question of who is more alienating to their own voter base.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the polling in favor of the protests is slightly more favorable to the protests than the current biden-trump polling (which is a huge biden lead)

this sort of thing was definitely a big fear of his campaign - race issues cropping up again in a way that polarized the "white working class" to trump - but under the current circumstance basically everyone who isn't a trump die-hard is for the protestors, in a way that seems really historically unprecedented. that would have to change before this becomes a problem, as opposed to a benefit, to biden. which is why biden already picked a side, with the protesters, and someone posted the police unions already whining about it.

Biden seems like he's trying to thread the needle between both sides, hence his "shoot them in the leg" stance.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

biden's hedging like all hell, he's held a speech and proposed a shoot-to-wound policy as far as i've heard

give it two months of increasingly desperate riots and you'll see those polls change and the biden campaign knows it

I don't think Biden has yielded to public opinion on literally anything. I see no reason why he would now.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

the_steve posted:

Trump supporters are way more zealous in their belief that they are "saving" the country from the bogeymen of equal rights, black people existing, and the gays being allowed to order cakes.
They will crawl over broken glass in a way that liberals can only wish their milquetoast supporters would.
Especially with a wholly uninspiring candidate like Biden, whose entire campaign hinges on the message of "Get a load of the other guy, amirite?"

Plus, as has been clearly established, armed groups of white people can go anywhere and do anything they want as long as they're wearing a red ballcap or a Confederate flag. You'll see a whole lot of performative "freedom squads" standing by to "protect" the polling places in predominantly white neighborhoods*
*Scare off black voters

TLDR: None of this is going to hurt Trump as much as people are hoping.

I dunno, it could hurt him by invigorating Democratic voters. Again, we so deep into the :coolzone: that any and all predictions are meaningless at this point.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rigel posted:

No, he doesn't. His net favorability rating is a hell of a lot better than Clinton was. He's generally regarded by voters with more of a shrug and a "he's OK, I guess" feeling rather than with active dislike. Sometimes his average is a point or two positive, sometimes a point or two negative. His net favorability has been pretty steadily even all year and hasn't really moved; he is the generic Democrat.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/joe_biden_favorableunfavorable-6677.html

By contrast, Trump has been solidly negative double-digits from mid-2016 to today with a few exceptions, and Hillary Clinton was pretty steadily net negative double digits for all of 2016 through her defeat. Looking deeper, every major politician in congress from both parties is worse than -10.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/trump_favorableunfavorable-5493.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/clinton_favorableunfavorable-1131.html

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1268554350240108551

Also, from your own source, Biden's favorability:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rigel posted:

yeah, ok. That does not conflict with my post at all.

edit: your post shows his average at -1.5

Sorry, I accidentally posted instead of changing the upload.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jewel Repetition posted:

Very true. Biden has the kind of hands-on approach that helps him get close to voters. He has a good feel for what they really want deep down. Definitely passes the sniff test.

I think he can really penetrate through all the pussy footing.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Again, I think making any major projections in the middle of a global pandemic, economic crash, and week long rioting is just hubris. Nobody has any loving clue what is going to happen, and using current polling to project who or what is going to happen in 5 months is laughable.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Majorian posted:

And yet the Democratic leadership seems determined to make that spectacular political failure happen. I still think Biden has a better-than-even chance of winning, purely because the economy is going to be in bad shape by November, but boy howdy, he is trying, with all his might, to lose.

I dunno, I think him hiding in a bunker is the most effective tactic. You saw what happened when he actually speaks, he advocated shooting civilians. He's such a fantastic turd that the best thing they can do is cover it with a towel and hope you forget the stink by November.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rigel posted:

We could be pretty screwed in 2024 if he wins this year and then wants a 2nd term

He has very publicly stated that he intends on running for a second term. So...

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pick posted:

This is inaccurate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-campaign-refutes-speculation-one-term-pledge-n1099766

quote:

WASHINGTON — Joe Biden denied Wednesday that he’s discussed making a pledge to serve only one term if elected president, rejecting a published report that it remained a consideration.

"I don't have plans on one term,” Biden told reporters between campaign stops in Nevada. "I'm not even there yet.”

Did he change his tune?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pick posted:

He's saying with words (you can read them) that he is not committing to limit himself at this time. That is not the same as your claim that he openly said he WOULD aim for two terms.

Which words? Can you post those words that Joe Biden is saying and printing? Because I could not find them. I only found a few things his campaign advisor said he should commit to, but the only statement he's made is that he will not pledge to a single term. Which implies that he intends on two.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pick posted:

I have never posted a picture of a gerbil on this website. I don't really like gerbils, so I don't intend to. However, I will not commit to the fact that I will never post a picture of a gerbil. This does not mean I'm going to post a picture of a gerbil.

Yes. Yes it loving does.

Also, where are those words that Biden said.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

What you posted when challenged on this is a statement where he refused to commit to not running for a second term, not that he committed to run for a second term. Which is not the same thing, so Pick was right unless you’ve got a different quote.

The automatic assumption of literally every presidential candidate in American history is that they will run for a second term. Unless he says otherwise, it is completely reasonable to assume he will do so as well. Yes, you are correct, he did not specifically state he will run a second term. However, him refusing to commit otherwise leaves us with the obvious assumption that he will.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How are u posted:

I think it would entirely depend on the type of endorsement.

If Bush came out and said "Vote for Joe Biden, he's pretty much a Republican and that's why I support him." that wouldn't be a great look, to be sure.

If Bush came out and said "Vote for Joe Biden, because Donald Trump is a failed leader and an active danger to our Democracy and he must be removed and I support a Democrat rather than another Trump term." well that would probably be just fine.

GWB is renowned for his excellent judgement of character and decision making skills.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

ok i found one in under twenty seconds

Yeah. I stand by that remark. It was not a good loving idea.

I didn't say it was going to tank his campaign, I said it was demoralizing to Democrats and may suppress Democratic turnout while inciting Republican turnout. And, frankly, it is far too early to gauge whether that is true or not.

Edit: Most importantly, there was literally nothing to gain from it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1268738899616182272

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it really shouldn't be an issue for a politician to say that some people aren't very good people imo even if putting percentages to it is the sort of thing a massively egotistical sixteen-year-old would do

this isn't much of a gaffe

Careful, with talk like that you're likely to catch a Trump avatar.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Totally agree about Bush (although in just society he never would've been in office), but can you define "politically associated" here?

This cannot be for loving real.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

It's a vague term, op. pk's response actually narrowed it down a lot, while still being a little vague.

What is the goal to the pedantry? Why does their need to be specification? The only point of such queries is to white wash the Bush administration in the hopes that the stink does not spill onto Biden. Like, do you actually believe there is a meaningful distinction to make?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

I don't know, I just legitimately wanted to know if he thought that like, Margaret Spelling (DOE) or Dirk Kempthorne (DOI) should be in prison, as they are "politically affiliated" with Bush, but had no role in his war crimes. I think that would be a bad and dangerous opinion. If we're limiting to people like Powell and Tenet and Rumsfeld then hell yeah, throw 'em in the clink.

No, dude. You are white washing 8 years of horror to protect the symbol of your political identity, Joe Biden. I don't even know if you are doing it on purpose.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

Literally what the gently caress are you talking about?

You are white washing history through pedantry.

If I say "All Cops Are Bastards" and you reply "What about this specific cop?" the effect of your comment is to undercut the violence of the police system.
You are doing the same thing when we say "gently caress the Bush Administration" and you reply "What about the school lady?" And by the way, she is a loving criminal too for No Child Left Behind. She is no different than Betsy Devos.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somfin posted:

Would you look at that, right on schedule, a new rapist avatar. Thanks, buyer, for reminding me never to post here.

Don't stop. That is the goal. To quash dissent through the application of wealth.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

I'll go on record as saying the avatar thing is loving annoying and petty and should stop.

All that money that could be going towards bail funds is instead spent bullying leftists into silence. It is shameful.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somfin posted:

Nah. Let them have their win. Let them kill the discussion and silence those who disagree. They paid good money for the victory and I'll see to it that they get what they want.

This thread isn't worth the consistent abuse.

He will follow you to C-Spam and continue to harass you there. That is how bullying works.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The Democratic white washing of George W. Bush is an especially heinous condemnation of everything they claim to stand for.

Travel back with me to the year 2008. His reign is near an end, and it is soon time to pick our next president. The public wildly opposes the years of Republican rule, and instead turn out in record numbers to support the Democrats. So hated by the electorate, Republicans lose both houses and the presidency. It is a clear rejection of everything Bush stood for: War in the middle east, violent oppression of minorities, and the disintegration of sacred laws. Barack Obama and the rise of the Democratic party was the antithesis of George W. Bush.

However, we can now see this antithesis as hollow. We see Democrats of all stripes attempting to rally behind the very evil they are supposed to oppose. The man responsible for more chaos and pain than any other American in my lifetime is lionized because of words he has not yet spoken. The only logical conclusion is that Democrats do not care about the horrors he released upon our world.

Democrats do not care about murdering innocent people.
Democrats do not care about enshrining torture into our legal system.
Democrats do not care about flagrant violations of constitutional law.
Democrats do not care about suppressing dissent through fear and violence.

To a Democrat, these are means, and what they opposed were the ends. These means are to be embraced should the need arise. And, to a Democrat, that need has arisen. There is an old Nietzsche quote that goes “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster.” However, I do not feel in this case it is fully accurate. The Democrats have not "become" monsters. They have always supported endless violence, endless bloodshed, and endless oppression because their goal is not to free us from tyrannical rulers, but to replace them.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

as long as we're clear Joe Biden's stance was, in fact, that you should die for him.

TBF, it was very much the lie of "oh yeah, it's perfectly safe." Lies, death, violence, anything to cement power.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jarmak posted:

That wasn't his stance, his "stance" was it was safe to vote, and IIRC his campaign never took an official position on the issue so we're picking at a couple of comments made in tv interviews at the start of the controversy that they never seriously promoted as a position.

It was a bad stance, dangerous even, but never was the stance of the Biden campaign "people should die to vote for me", that's you're opinion of the implications of his stance.

Moreover it was never reality that he actually did anything to make that happen. He had nothing to do with the decision, the opposite decision was made, and the GOP are the ones that made the vote happen.

1. If Joseph Biden does not count as a representative of his own campaign, then the concept of representative politics itself is a fallacy.

2. If you tell people to fly a kite during a hurricane, you are partially responsible if they get hurt.

3. It is an incredibly bad faith argument to claim that public officials encouraging activity does not contribute to it. Democrats have spent years howling that Trump encouraging racists has contributed to hate crimes. That sword cuts both ways.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

At this point, there is no moral defense of Democrats. Perhaps there is a tactical argument to be made, but at no point can any Democrat claim a moral justification for supporting Joe Biden.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jarmak posted:

It's your opinion that he lied, and that's literally the opposite of what explicit means. That's not grammar pendantry, the literal point of the arguement I'm making is that it's dishonest to present implicit statements (which rely on analysis and opinion to interpret, and must be defended with evidence) as explicit (which is literally what happened and agreed upon facts).

It's also disingenuously reductive to act like there isn't a difference in something said off the cuff during an interview and the campaign explicitly pushing something as an explicit position. Particularly when talking about a politician especially famous for saying dumb poo poo because he says whatever he's thinking instead of stopping to think it through.

Quick! I've been disproven! Call for help!

Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's a meaningless pedantic argument that addresses nothing!

Hooray! I'm saved!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

could someone fill me in on the full "biden is a criminal for getting people to vote in wisconsin" theory. what was the crime; what should have been done; etc.

there's too much referencing an assumed crime everyone knows about that's not actually said. assume i know nothing whatsoever about this argument outside the single post responding to this one, even if someone suggested part of it a few posts ago.

There is nothing technically criminal with encouraging people to die. It's just loving horrendous, and indicative of how he would have handled the pandemic.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pick posted:

Implicit vs. explicit positions are major distinctions in an environment as sensitive as a campaign.

In no way does it address any of the concerns that the previous poster raised. It is a red herring meant to distract from a losing argumentative position.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

this doesn't give me any useful information. what exactly is it you think was wrong; what should have been done instead. i'm actually asking because i've just skimmed over all of this and feel like actually digging into whatever crazy rabbit hole this is.

Ok, long story short, there's a pandemic going on at the same time as a major presidential primary. People are told not to go out and gather in large groups. Biden tells people it is safe to go vote in person. This is a terrible thing to do because he is encouraging voters, who mostly includes the largest at risk group of people, to endanger their lives so that he can cement a victory he doesn't need.

He should have told people to stay home. He didn't need to win Wisconsin so badly that people should die for it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pick posted:

Are you suggesting Sanders's blowout in Wisconsin was because he told his voters to stay home?

There it is. Another red herring combined with a straw man.

We are talking about the heinous nature of encouraging your voters to die. It is an understandably indefensible position. Maybe you should abandon it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jarmak posted:

This was the statement being represented as "Joe Biden said people should die to vote for him":

This is it. Thanks for digging up the lie for me.

It is a heinous disregard for human life and safety.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

is this it? because there's a major flaw in the logic. specifically, both the biden and bernie campaigns wanted bernie to stay in precisely because that election was very important: one of the wisconsin supreme court seats was up for election on the same ballot (the wisconsin supreme court had a 5-2 republican majority, and those republicans make the SCOTUS conservatives look tame) and both campaigns wanted to maximize democratic turnout in order to win that election.

which they did, and thanks to one of the remaining 4 conservatives having a tiny conscience on this specific voting rights issue it is possible that the GOP's attempt to throw hundreds of thousands of democrats off the voter rolls will be blocked (it depends on if the republicans can fast-track a decision before August 1). that offers at least the chance of helping to unfuck wisconsin in the next few years (though democrats already blew one of these seats post-trump's election).

that election was tremendously, tremendously important. it was why bernie stayed in until after wisconsin, but quit before the results were announced.

also, does this theory castigate bernie for continuing to campaign to get people to turn out and vote for him, knowing that he wasn't actually still competing?

1. This is a shamefully Pyrrhic argument. If you truly believe that judge appointments are worth actual human lives, you need to seriously reevaluate your position.

2. This is disingenuous argument. You are casually ignoring the fact that Joe Biden is also running for president and asking people to vote for him because it is detrimental to your position, which is, frankly, absurd.

3. As mentioned above Bernie tried to delay the primary, because within his chest he has a soul unlike the rotting avatar of corruption that you are trying to defend.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

in order:

1) that's not what "pyrrhic argument" means (if it means anything at all), and you yourself were the one who framed this argument about do people "need" the win. yeah, as a factual matter wisconsin needed that win, it was very important. did they need it enough to ask people to vote in a pandemic? well, that is a hard, complex question. when making the moral judgements, you need to recall democrats were dealing with an intentional republican strategy to try to depress turnout to win that election, so the moral judgements on the democratic response pale in comparison to what the republicans did. the problem is, that is a tough question: how much can and should you encourage people to risk their safety to exercise their right to vote? it doesn't just come up in pandemics, of course. but when you ask that tough question this ceases being the sort of gotcha, biden bad!!!!! argument you want it to be.

What I meant by that statement was, you are now shifting the argument to "It was worth endangering human lives to win a few judges" which is not an argument worth winning, if you could even prove it.

evilweasel posted:

2) this doesn't make any sense at all. as best i can tell, you are trying to argue "well, what about joe biden wanting to win wisconsin???" he didn't really care, because the bernie campaign had already promised to drop out as soon as it was over. which they did.

Jesus, dude. You cannot divorce Joe Biden from his own electoral ambitions, especially within a discussion on a political campaign.

evilweasel posted:

3) that's dodging the question. and this question is important because it's forcing you to reason through your argument with the motivated reasoning changed. wisconsin democrats attempted to move the election, and it was blocked. knowing that, knowing that the election would not be moved, bernie sanders campaigned in wisconsin and encouraged people to vote for him, knowing their votes were pointless and that he had already agreed to drop out (and deliberately withheld that information from his voters). he did so for the same reason: driving up turnout in the wisconsin election, for the purpose of trying to win that judicial race.

what is your moral judgement on that decision, and why? it's a very similar decision, but with your motivated reasoning reversed such that you want to come out with the argument it's not bad instead of you want to come out with the argument it's bad. if you arrive at "both bernie and biden were bad" that's at least consistent; i still disagree with you but you bit the bullet and accepted the results you don't like about your logic and it clearly has some internal consistency, and we can discuss from there. if you arrive at "bernie good, biden bad" there might be a good reason - but i'd want to see it, because I don't see one, and i think your rationale for why bernie is not bad in this situation would be the very rebuttal to the "why biden bad" argument

Wisconsin was literally threatened by the DNC that they would lose representatives. It was an atrocious abuse of power surpassed only by their later attempt to erase Bernie Sanders from the New York ballot. Bernie Sanders made a significant attempt to delay the primary, while the establishment coerced the state into following through. I genuinely do not believe you can equate a man lying about the safety of the polls to another man actively trying to prevent that danger. It is a false equivalence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

evilweasel posted:

i am pretty sure that the bolded is not at all true and is you faintly misremembering that under existing DNC rules, you need to complete your primary by june 9 (which left ample time for a delay) but given that you have made that factual assertion, please support it

edit: the NY state thing was real bad, but that was a local machine politics decision about trying to tamper with unrelated primaries (trying to assist incumbents in their primaries by minimizing turnout)

Sure, found it: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/17/dnc-memo-primary-delays-could-result-delegate-reduction

Here's a memo sent out by the DNC. Have fun defending monsters.

quote:

“The Delegate Selection Rules provide that each state’s first determining step must take place by 9 June. If a state violates the rule on timing, or any other rule, they could be subject to penalties as prescribed in Rule 21, including at least a 50% reduction in delegates, which will need to be reviewed by the RBC.

This is a memo sent out by the DNC in response to Ohio figuring out whether they wanted to delay. So, yes, it is loving coercion. And, before you jump in with "they didn't say Wisconsin SPECIFICALLY", this was a memo to all states including Wisconsin.