Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jedit posted:

With a little effort, I'm pretty sure I could find the names of ten black people murdered by the police in 2019.

the guardian had an ongoing thing about US police murders of black people in 2018/2019 and it's thousands a year, the Wapo figure is solely where the cop straight up refuses to lie and insists they were right to murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

there are a lot of reprehensible labour MPs but I think Hodge has to be the worst. Massive racist who covered up child sex abuse

As a councillor, margaret hodge allegedly asked an ex-con house cleaning co-operative to go round a list of houses that had received incorrect postal ballots (voter deceased or moved away) and return those ballots to her, personally.

I'm not accusing her of attempting electoral fraud, of course. The person she asked definitely was accusing her, and his fam assure me he stuck to that story whenever it came up, from the day she asked to the day he died. One of my partner's earliest memories of politics was him ranting about this during the 97 election night.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

margaret hodge attempted electoral fraud and is a massive racist pedo scumbag

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

If anyone wants a monster of the week that's far too incoherent to be propaganda, I quite enjoyed Fringe. It's batshit and after season 3 the plot is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever sat through but it hits the spot. Biggest criticism would be that they introduce a polyglot savant black woman character and within half a season she's barely a sidekick.

Prince John posted:

Yeah, they're so loving wafty.

Wow, this is pretty depressing. Seems to be a whole bunch of it collected in this thread.

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1266598693647638528

There's peaceful BLM protests and righteously destructive ones, there's good allies following the lead of experienced BLM organisers and locals and there's wankers throwing molotovs and giving the police the veneer of credibility they crave, there's a shitload of cops being filmed starting fires and smashing windows so their coworkers can start shooting at journalists, there's feds, and just about every white supremacist group you can imagine sewing violence everywhere they can. This is kicking off during the worst economic event to hit working class Americans ever, beyond the great depression. Nobody has anything thing to lose and the police of a fascist state are nakedly attempting to start the race war they've lusted after since they killed MLK. There's no credible evidence that suggests other than that the vast majority of protestors are there for George Floyd and the thousands before him, but this can now only be called an uprising and you can freely discard absolutely every "actually it's just x, not BLM" thinkpiece as morally degenerate crap from a waste of a life. It's like reading the neocons talk about "muslims" as a collective group in any middle eastern conflict - it's so shallow that it's an unforgiveable waste of the calories and electricity it took to type and publish.

Uprisings have gravity, they pull people into their orbit. The only other players that seem to have anything like the size of the actual protest movement are the cop instigators and their innumerate neo-klan allies, the idea that there's an organised radical left in America capable of the largest civil unrest since 1968 is loving laughable. We are witnessing a long deserved attack on a dying, evil ethnostate and every last right wing neck on the planet is stuck out, trying to divide and delegitimise and confuse black anger, because for the first time they fear the rope is coming. Pray for Americans, and pray for the death of America as we know it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jippa posted:

The wire is amazing. That was the very first of those types of american tv series I watched. Still one of the best.

I rewatch the wire every now and then because I've not seen anything come close. You can get great storytelling in TV in the last decade but there's a reason social work degrees use it as a jumping-off point for topics like systemic racism and effective substance abuse harm reduction measures. Simon may be a narcissistic twat who wrote himself as the ridiculous hero of an otherwise masterpiece, and have terrible opinions, but he really did his legwork.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

Yeah you get them very obviously starting the plot line before it's clear the plug gets pulled which is good because it was a stupid idea

the wire should've just been up to season 3 and then Prez Goes To School for this reason

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Lid posted:

Aye but thats true of all Bunny seasons - Hamsterdam is another idea built on what they think would work but its pie in the sky theorising. It works in the contect of the show. Season 5 has no idea what its trying to prove or critique with a solutuon beyond "our newsrooms are dying and being compartmentalised and i am sad" and it even fucks up that message.

hamsterdam is just localised decrim and "aight so now what", there's plenty of evidence to say it'd be vastly superior to the war on drugs. Switzerland's weird "please only do heroin with clean needles in this park, also the heroin is free, thanks" is where any such program actually ends up if you plan to meet the addicts needs before you slam them all into one street, and that had unparalleled recovery rates. Also Marks' liverpool clinic. Also, some localised parts of the Portuguese "gently caress it, do what works" program.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

i'm all for defunding police but i am a tad confused at calls for abolition. like that is never going to happen in a capitalist system but a lot of abolitionists aren't anti capitalists. very weird.

Not everyone has spent a decade on a zombie megagay forum being repeatedly dunked into a state of hyperreality. Police abolitionists might be asking for something that doesn't make much sense in the wider context they ask for it, but they're good people demanding justice. Support them wholeheartedly and, where appropriate, talk through the practicalities in the context of the structures of police violence without ever decentering the racist use of police violence. If this movement succeeds, then we as anticapitalists learn something. If it doesn't, people remember those who stood up as allies because it was the right thing to do.

On the more theoretical level, we don't *know* that abolitionism wouldn't succeed. The same arguments made about the need for an underclass as victim and scapegoat can be applied to many other oppressions in history, including institutions that toppled and took out the economic organisations around them. We came into the post-feudal post-mercantile world at the end of slavery. We came to late capitalism when the colonial landgrabs had resulted in worldwide conflict and the massacre of the armies that sustained them. We could find out that we can abolish the police and end up witnessing the exploitations we're familiar with just collapse, like any structure whose foundations and support you abruptly bulldoze. We cannot witness this specific part of the wider movement for safety and liberation of black lives as a static thing. Whatever the outcome of the various Black Lives Matter movements across the world, what we're seeing in Europe and the Anglosphere isn't going away afterwards.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

These are great.

The more of them I see though, the more I worry that the response in a month to requests for defunding of the police, refunding of social programmes, housing etc, and general removal of racist bullshit from the system will be 'but we took down the statues that killed racism what more do you want'.

p sure we have less riot-capable cops than individual US states so it'll be super funny when the furlough scheme stops being enough for the majority to live on, nobody goes back to work, and the tories try "piss off" again

jaete posted:

While half of the population is both able and willing to stay the gently caress home, the other half isn't, so you kinda need the government to actually do something to coordinate this poo poo or else you just end up with a million dead and also at the same time all the companies bankrupt and the economy in loving ashes.

25% of kids have returned to school, as the guardian put it. 75% have not, as you or I understand it.

There is absolutely no appetite to return to "the economy" and the media constantly flipping between "we're all probably immune" and "you will all die" has done enormous psychological damage to our relationship with the state. When the numbers explode in a fortnight, people are not going to work and nobody will make them. The government are doing reasonably well at laying the groundwork for "it's all the fault of these an teefa typhoid talibans" but we'll see how that goes.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 9, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's probably enough to get you done under some anti-terror legislation though right? That is, of you manage not to ignite yourself

if you can be absolutely certain that you can have the military walk around with the stuff to use on nazi guns I'm pretty sure it's not a huge self-ignition risk

making a highly reactive chemical agent to destroy a monument probably doesn't even need the newer anti-bus-pass-terrorism laws tho. Now I'm thinking about that lad that got nicked outside Leeds for lefty terrorism the other day, as we discuss this - the only mentioned charges I saw were several counts of looking up timetables of the internet

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Having spent days thinking about the best balance of explanation and a need to protect the identities of those involved, I'm now going to go ahead and ask the thread something I ran by Guava last week.

Through friends of friends, I have been asked about applying soft pressure to companies to deal with open fash, who, afaik, they aren't aware of. Horrible, eugenecist little shits who will post under their own names on profession-related facebook groups about how segregation is a result of black people being inferior and not wanting to hang around their betters, and how the current protests are proof of this. The guy is confident enough that his FB profile shows several good photos of his face and far-right article shares, as well as his current employer, although some of the worse material is private. I know he got a disciplinary at uni for bullying a gay student for months leading to a suicide attempt, but was allowed to continue.

If the person makes the complaint in their own name, they're likely to get a reputation as a troublemaker, and they're certain this will put them in a worse position than the fash guy. I've already covered how to de-identify a complaint with standardised language and evaluating how many people could access *specific* evidence, but I think they'll be much more likely to go through with it (and, hopefully, get a fascist shitcanned from his cushty job) if I can just send them something collated and authorative-looking from a group or person that deal with anonymising material on the reg. I'm pretty sure the company will fold instantly but that doesn't help the complaint get made.

I'd cheerfully do it, altho I think it's better to try and pass on the most useful information I can put together as an educational tool, and leave the action to people who are (for obvious reasons) a lot more likely to actually be the victim of racism in the workplace, so they can defend themselves from toxic shitheads without having to deal with the "chip on the shoulder" crap. If I'm asked, I'll do it. I've made that clear, and I've not been asked for anything but resources. I've spent the last two days combing antifascist twitter, starting from antifash gordon, looking for something like this, but I've had no luck. I know that guy in particular does seminars but this is UK based, so either UK-related groups or even a pdf how-to would be helpful. I don't need to pass or anything about IDing anonymous individuals, but if that's not the sole content, it can't hurt. Thanks in advance, fash delenda est

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I think the question is "I want to encourage my friend to expose their fash coworker but my friend is worried about the backlash if the company finds out they are a whislteblower, so i would like an authoritative sounding source for how to do that anonymously that I can send my friend"

it's this

I know I can send an email containing screenshots of screenshots that don't have obvious potentially identifying poo poo (private posts on the guy's FB, group membership, and so on), I've already walked them through that. I spoke to some different friends and one guy has volunteered, already has the screenshots (suitably selected), and is all good to send them with links and condemnation I wrote, so no possible written giveaways. I think what's being left unsaid is whether there's friendly guides with a little more authority than "this dude your friend knows", so I started from antifash gordon and had a skim around from there. Most of the stuff I found is almost entirely OSINT poo poo, which is pointless when the posts are just a stream of hatespeech in his name, with his employer listed on his profile, dozens of photos, and so on.

It's not a job that's going to slap people about for liking tommy robinson shares, the group they're in that kicked all this off has some fairly regular apartheid apologia from old saffas. It's an egregious pattern of racial bullying that the lib dem mod doesn't want to touch, by someone with a history of bullying in person.

I'm sorry for the lovely writing, I'm not used to being coy, I like angry and targeted rhetoric. I passed a better written draft post over and was told that I made the industry obvious to anyone who worked in it. I think I was careful enough but it's not my job and I'm not the one sticking my neck out, and it took me days to get something they were fine with.

e; fucks sake

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 9, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah so, "I want to help my friend see that this is something they can do safely and that other people have done before, and the best way they will feel safe is if they can read a serious organization's guidance and commentary on the process."

how are you so much better at condensing information than me

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Illuminti posted:

I don't think you're fools, well not much. And there's no rush. You'll all still be here in two years, still living under a tory government the majority of people don't want and wondering why your brilliant plans have all failed. And the answer will still be that everyone who doesn't agree with everything you say 100% is a racist fascist who secretly wants to bring about the fourth reich.

this joke gets more and more tired as the number of countries with undeniably fascistic governments and major parties grows larger and larger, and it was poo poo to begin with

our government openly support PiS, Fidesz and Trump. They have been denying basic human rights to migrants for years, continue to blame any possible problems on said migrants and occasionally lefties, will fanatically lie and smear any opposition they encounter, have appointed a former parliamentary candidate to run the national press outlet, the rest of the press is really, undeniably far-right except the Old White Man Left Mirror and "The problems are bad but dont you dare solve them" experts at the graun, and are brazenly plowing ahead with killing everyone lest it hurt the precious economy. They plan to blame this on people protesting for human rights, and not their own deliberately sabotaged illusions of containment.

And somehow this is all made worse because posters on a forum aren't nice enough to people that believe and spout violent propaganda, often directed at them. Maybe it's jez's fault and we're all seeing what an effective opposition can do right now. Maybe you've got suggestions about how if we coddle fragile shitheads in their delusions about what teaches a history they don't know and won't learn they might listen to us. It's not worked for several decades but maybe if we just bootstrap ourselves a nice respectable political-media complex we can compete.

Or maybe people are tired and angry, and maybe the people who feel uncomfortable about this should grow a spine.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Illuminti posted:

Well today it seems that "Science" has been declared racist.

yeah the stem subjects are racist. It's a priveleged white male dominated field and it suffers severe women and minority ethnic recruitment and retention problem. These are reinforced by a social failure to ever acknowledge non-white history. Did you miss the whole thing about video games too? This is literally the point of hegemony, it corrodes everything it touches to fit into its world view at the expense not only of individuals who can expect a lifetime of discrimination, many choosing that it's not worth it, but of the scientific progresses themselves, because it means some worthless white failchild will end up doing those jobs instead. It does this to protect the esteem, wealth and priveleges of the ruling class and those who are most relateable to them. Is this controversial?

if your definition of racist means "supporting and defending racist policies, and defending and using the rhetoric that enables and encourages those racist policies, and creates a climate of fear for minorities, probably on government media" then yeah dude there's a lot of racists. that is what is happening in 2020. It's been happening a while. If you think it means "refusing to ever engage critically in systemic problems faced by anyone who does not share the gender and ethnic archetype of the ruling class" then that leads you straight into the first point and makes the problems of STEM, and many other fields, completely undeniable.

If your definition of racist is "says a bad word, which I'd never say (in public)" then it's meaningless, as words only matter if they have the context to back them up. History is alive and moving and it's undeniably refusing to do so in a fun or enjoyable way. "Be nice to racist uncle dave" is a very 1997 idea. "Everybody get along quietly" is a very 1997 idea. They don't make you a racist, they make you white noise. But as much as it would, in fact, be nice if we all got along, we can only change things for the better with class solidarity - and that can only come with very unpleasant conversations, not without them. You can't change anything if minorities won't join your movement because they consider it toxic - we don't get to choose which bits of the chains we cast off and which we'd quite like to keep.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Illuminti posted:

I can tell you're nearly there, but unfortunately no, I'm not going to play. It's kinda weird (and telling) how desperate you are to rather than even have a vague discussion with me, or simply ignore me, you are trying to goad me into revealing a sin so you can screech witch at me and run me out of town.

I'm well aware that there is nothing I can say that you will not claim makes me racist. I do not agree with you, therefore I am a racist.

The above will probably be more than enough for you to call me a racist to be honest!

lmao being willing to engage in good faith without relying solely to strawmen is such a low bar and you've gone and broken your fragile lil legs in front of it

Illuminti posted:

Julio Cruz, thoughts?

ima guess "aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaa"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if you

Spangly A posted:

refuse.. to ever engage critically in systemic problems faced by anyone who does not share the gender and ethnic archetype of the ruling class

then

Spangly A posted:

minorities won't join your movement because they consider it toxic

and we

Spangly A posted:

don't get to choose which bits of the chains we cast off

so we

Spangly A posted:

don't get to ..cast off

and we

Illuminti posted:

liv(e).. under a tory government the majority of people don't want

and all anyone can hear is

Illuminti posted:

"PC police"

Illuminti posted:

I'm not going to play.

Illuminti posted:

It's weird

Illuminti posted:

It's telling

Illuminti posted:

It's desperate

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Ratjaculation posted:

Most didn't revolt when 160,000 lives were needlessly cut short because of tory rule. They didn't revolt when nurses were paid below their means of living. They didn't care that May magically misplaced the only copy of a document listing Tory nonces in the HoL. They didn't react to Windrush or any of the other countless xenophobic scandals.

Nothing will change.

It's because they either know and don't care (because it doesn't affect them), or they just blindly absorb what is fed to them by the Tory press.

death of a million is a statistic etc

humans are really, really bad at imagining large groups of people. We know other primates have hard limitations that, if extrapolated, say we could deal with a few hundred. Let's be really anthrocentric and generous and say ok, but our social behaviours are emergent and complex and lack easy comparisons - let's throw some zeros on that. Say, somehow, we can imagine and empathise with 20,000 unique individuals. When we talk about 160k dead, we have to relate this to people we know to mourn it, and we have to have lost those close to us and really internalise why before it is an atrocity. This is not a task that's easy, it is one that requires time, and education on the problem, and a priming for the message. It's part of why our hierarchies can sustain themselves at all - they don't work if we criticise them consciously 24/7, which is sort of the point of being a leftist. It leaves a lot of people with very little time or inclination to choose to understand atrocities that don't relate to them in obvious ways, for the sole purpose of feeling misery, unless you're already committed to action. It is the proverbial boiling lobster, or the "first they came", and so on. It's a work to appreciate these horrors and a lot of people don't even get why we'd want to until it's already too late for them.

You know what they can't chose to ignore? hospitals and morgues shutting down for exactly the reasons the government were told they would. Having to choose between potential death at work and potential death unemployed. No furlough scheme. No jobs. No functioning economy.

The question is, what happens when you do all the bad neolib poo poo in one moment, as opposed to spaced out? We're seeing it. We see flickers in Bristol of what happens when people realise they've suddenly got the numbers to resist oppression, they make their own history. The tories have found yet another way to kill their own votebase right as they prepare for the best conditions for uprising since the troubles. We even got a six month break to re-organise the left after a catastrophic defeat of electoralism. Our thoughts ahead should be what to do when the army are inevitably deployed en masse, because the gunpowder has been placed and the tories juggle sparklers.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

stev posted:

So Keir has the skills required for a minimum wage admin job in the city? Give that man a country to run ASAP.

you laugh but you're describing the civil service, who do run the country

and when a state develops a professional civil service it stops having revolutions, so clearly it does its job if nothing else

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

The massive unrest in the US, which is very much an uprising, is a thing that has happened during record-breaking unemployment that happened nearly overnight. This thing has not happened in the UK. It is, according to the only people able to do anything about it, soon to happen in the UK.

So is your take just "can't understand why all the materialists are talking about material conditions", ronya?

OwlFancier posted:

Also if their stance is so utterly cowardly then what's the point of them winning an election? If lord haircut can't think of anything to disagree on the tories with why bother?

the graeber piece Jose posted the other day is useful here. Kier Starmer is part of the beurocratic system of the Labour party. He is a lifelong beurocrat. He is well aware that we don't, as a country, hold much love for beurocrats. He really does not want anyone going about thinking that things other than beurocrat-led parliamentarianism are possible. He has to insist that no other, more meaningful, political acts and movements are political or valid or exist.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 14, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

communism bitch posted:

What does historical materialism have for us when it doesn't yet seem to have bone out an accurate prediction? Or am I missing something?

Marx was a talented sociologist and journalist, world-class shitposter, and hilariously prejudiced idiot all at the same time. His dismissal of the revolutionary potential of lumpenproletariat can be summarised as "prostitutes are icky". His, and Lenin's, dismissal of serfs as a revolutionary force is not informed by reality. The USSR and China are both fairly solid examples of the fact that Kulaks can organise. These are personal failings, because Marx wasn't particularily interested in (or able to) put the work in to understand this beforehand. And saying the booj were a great revolutionary class but no others (except proles) can be is just a basic historical ignorance, again personal.

What the succesful use of newspapers and parties in revolutionary history tells us is that when you have a mass of people organising a movement in agreement on their goals, they can absolutely gently caress poo poo up, and that revolutionary action as a unified class is an incredibly powerful thing. Materialism says widespread poverty creates unstable social conditions, and that the conditions become less stable the faster this happens. You can slowburn ratfuck a country pretty effectively for a long time, it's hard to get enough people to join the dots and agree on what needs to be done. It might become basically impossible to deliberately orchestrate if your society is so "advanced" it can sustain several totally contradictory consensus-realities in the way our unified anglosphere can. But, if you take a giant loving axe to the livelihoods of +10% of your entire workforce at a time when leftist ideas are as widely spread as they've been for decades, then we start with a lot of our consensus already built.

The scale of what's happening in 2020 is beyond comprehension. We've got a species wide disaster fatigue. But "you're all unemployed, the economy is dead sorry, also all your old bosses are much richer now" has never gone unnoticed. Materialism might genuinely be worthless at giving us concrete information but there's no reason not to see the "4.5m unemployed inbound, notable unrest continues across already polarised country" notices as the giant loving alarm bell that materialism says they are, because that part is something we know it's very good at. America didn't get much notice. We're being told dates. What we do about that is a question for much better organisers than me. Start working out more?

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 14, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Borrovan posted:

They've done worse. For a while they had a picture of Ian "H" Watkins (from Steps) next to the info for Ian "literally rapes babies" Watkins (from Lost Prophets & also prison)

possibly the best kunt and the gang song, that

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Was the revolutionary communist party a CIA front or something? It seems weird just how prominent Trotskyites are at all levels of right wing politics in this country.

the trot-neocon pipeline has been posted about here before and yet, shamefully, I remember little. It's def notable that the "revolution is the only thing that matters and I will throw every last minority into a meat grinder with my big racism dial" mindset has a tendancy to produce poo poo people, a mortgage away from Thatcherism at any moment.

e; maybe it's because they were founded by an actual 70s stalinist (e*3 no they werent)
ee; this loving wiki page is wild
eee; of course the above is the wrong revolutionary communist party. splittism is rampant.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 15, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

just casually realising that I've met frank furedi at uni and crack pinging all over the place here

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Jose posted:

no its because marcus rashford shamed the government into doing it

I'm not sure just when the footballers started really understanding how to flex political muscle but holy poo poo I love it. Organising this right as the clubs are about to return and the government need the circuses back was fantastic

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

Momentum chat: the elections are on and I'd like to solicit advice before I do anything irrevocable. I know next to nothing about any of them, and the 'questions to candidates' didn't reveal anything significant.

I generally believe in slate voting (and the last NEC elections have only strengthened this view). Forward Momentum seem more keen on internal democracy than Momentum Renewal (described as the 'continuity' campaign) so I am tempted to go for them. They are supported by McDonnell, which seems good even though he was less radical as Shadow Chancellor than I hoped.

But I notice that Jennifer Forbes is on their SW slate and I think Spangly had serious reservations about her.

Does anyone have views?

Jennifer Forbes completely blew up her own campaign. Her and the paid campaigner were terrible and she's an awful person. I was living in a guest house provided by friends she's known for about a decade who could only repeatedly apologise, not themselves knowing what the gently caress was happening. She blew most of the budget on posters with her face because she didn't like the generic designs head office had come up with, we were told to pull rallies out of our arses with no budget, and we loving did. She was so pissed she banned us from organising anything but doorknocking under the labour banner (which wasn't a valid threat to me or my partner really, but we couldn't run poo poo ourselves). After we told her that we'd been given dozens of final warnings that there was going to be no more constant doorknocking run by a freshly graduated idiot who didn't ever list contact details, locations or show up herself, she flipped the gently caress out in the middle of a pub and stormed off shouting that we'd all betrayed her. I'm pretty certain we were filmed

I think most of the CLP organising committee voted lib dim. I would've. I've never seen a single person so responsible for such widespread burnout, and I was regularily being told "yeah this is someone who's been organising for decades but gently caress em". Now admittedly, the position I was in meant that I was actually reading and responding to the burnout emails so maybe this is normal but hoooooooly gently caress she's toxic.

FM's campaign has involved throwing a lot of bullshit at their opponents. Other than "they're maybe liars" and "they want Jen Forbes, who must never be allowed to run for MP again" I can't help.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

the reason Labour didn't get completely wiped of T&F out is the student organisers in Falmouth completely ignored her ridiculous demands while flattering her enough to get her to stay away, which was lol

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Guardian's political editor has a piece up with the headline "Corbyn Loyalists Dispute Enquiry", then goes on to talk about Lavery agreeing with the conclusions

they don't even read their own loving propaganda anymore

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

potentially goodbye sa, I fondly remember learning about buildings and manhole covers and better marxist theory, and less fondly remember liveposting all the spiteful and shitheaded parts of my personal development and also a bunch of actual psychotic episodes

but hey, at least I took that out on the internet, and not my victims romantic interests

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

the country shut itself down and the government were forced, kicking and screaming, to pretend it was their idea. They were forced to run a furlough scheme by BoE and the civil service to avoid the UK becoming a failed state overnight. They ordered the release of patients into care homes, deliberately and maliciously killing tens of thousands of people. They had their propaganda outlets running 24/7 to argue maybe viruses aren't real. They ignored every last bit of advice they received, lying through their teeth, fired and ratfucked everyone that dared call them out, and gave absolutely no shits when caught over and over again not following basic guidelines they insisted everyone else follow.

You all know all this but let's be clear, nobody got bored of trying to save lives. The country got bored of thinking their government gives the slightest gently caress if they live or die, got bored of knowing with absolute certainty that whatever they did would be utterly sabotaged, and got bored of being lied to by psychopaths who can't even pretend to show remorse.

All of which ties into to the total collapse of faith in news media and governance. Can any of you really say you think it's worth trying to instill any kind of social discipline in this context? when the next barrage of deaths comes, we'll see if the government wants to add starving the country to insulting it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

kerala

the number then goes up from there depeding on how comfortable you are with undemocratic uses of power and violence (the cuba - > estonia model)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

proposing a party motion that we start building hundreds of pillboxes around the CLP hq

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

bessantj posted:

Lowtax is a huge poo poo stain and should look into getting help he clearly needs it. I'm glad his victims are away from him and hopefully are getting the help they need.

Changing topic somewhat I've read people saying that Corbyn was too slow in properly dealing with Ken Livingstone. I don't remember the whole issue beyond Livingstone saying something antisemitic. Was Corbyn too slow?

corbyn was too slow, he should have made the racists in the old disciplinary team stop being racist saboteurs forging 90% of complaints to leak Big Number to the press much faster than he did so ken could be dealt with on time, which everyone involved definitely wanted to happen and they are not at all on record as having deliberately broken the system to make the left look bad

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

Kerala is only left-wing if closing one's eyes whilst sending about 20% of the entire country's labour force to work in much richer petrostates counts as left-wing... the Keralese economy receives more in remittances than it does in govt revenue, for a sense of scale

in terms of contributing to the Keralese model, the best thing to do would to be work in a relatively much richer country (cough the UK cough) and remit most of your salary to someone else in Kerala

the left, famously against redistributing wealth in order to create astonishing results in the fields of political involvement, literacy, education and healthcare

did they have their first community transmission of covid19 yet btw? last I checked the answer was no
e;
god if only we had some sort of department for international development to follow through on ronya's plan, I wonder what sort of radical leftist we'd need to create such a ridiculously unelectable communist idea

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 25, 2020

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

the wealth is comparatively easy to redistribute as very little of it is made in Kerala, but instead in dramatically richer countries

(which themselves are rich due to oil)

the fact that the oil is not in Kerala itself discourages a Niger delta resource curse, where oil fuels ethnic conflict instead of relative prosperity (compared to other countries at a similar level of development). But there is still social disruption of sending a huge swathe of the country overseas to work for remittances. Fundamentally it's 1) not very leftie to embrace selling labour on a national scale as a model 2) not very leftie given the conditions Kerala implicitly tolerates for that labour force 3) not perhaps scalable

the migratory proletariat are a diruptive force to the social order you say? you're sounding like Badiou mate. calm down before mi5 get out the giant bag and start planning your next bath

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

why wont somebody PLEASE create ethical socialism under capitalism

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ronya posted:

I plead annoyance at upholding Kerala as a model divorced of context

for the post-special-period Cuba types there's a certain degree of obligatory bullet-biting that, yes, okay, the country is really poor but these HDI statistics and happiness surveys are actually more important!!

for Kerala the massive role of remittances in its economy is just silently ignored, it's massive enough that eliding it borders on dishonesty

FOOL that you are, for you trust the bankers in the world to tell you there is no good

comrades, take our filthy bloodstained pounds and, with our arms, together we shall take the dollar. will you fight? or will you perish like a dog?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

well the mods are putting their resignations in as lowtax' latest accuser is heading to her home after being hospitalised from what sounds like emotional exhaustion

in the one bright piece of news I've had recently, the travelodge homeless shelter program near my house has received funding and go-ahead to continue it's program. Half of the known rough sleepers in canterbury and dover are already in permanent accomodation and there's clearance for social workers to go into work there to start helping the rest with long-term problems that will also need to be addressed alongside securing a flat (yeah, I know, but landlords)

the place is hilariously hosed up and there's an absurd number of riot vans every day over two people but the neighbours, bless em all, have been remarkably solid on the "well, people in these conditions need a roof, and it's not any noisier than when the pub was open"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

this is the best laugh I've had since "an engaging and high-impact poster with a lot to offer"

that last ronya post is a banger and there's prior form

I'd read the poo poo out of ronya written/owlfancier edited longpiece nitpicking and if he wasn't surrounded by lefties I imagine we'd cherish his phenominal commitment to contradiction and wordcount

haakman posted:

So, buried (well cremated) my dad today. SA is dying and the Labour party is now firmly a hostile environment for left wing views.

This week can gently caress off. The month can gently caress off. 2020 can gently caress off.

I've lurked here for years and years. Glad to be here at the end of it.

Also its Ober, not Communism Bitch.

2020 can gently caress off, solidarity. I hope you're holding up alright and have had an opportunity to remember him, even if zoom wakes are difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I think the fracturing into smaller tribes idea holds up quite well alongside the results you occasionally get from e.g yougov's big dive into the coordination and contradictions of various loose ideologies among the british public, and it's both expected by everyone except structuralists and happens to quite handily predict exactly what just happened in the uk - a completely unified left/liberal pact can possibly beat away the tories but it's also a ridiculous nonsense idea because they're not compatable beliefs or ruling ideologies. Unless the ethnonationalists win so absolutely that they can come for your global industries, it's back to "man I hope the massive over50 ethnonationalist contigent die slightly before the nice over50s do"

But, bluntly, "social spending remains up" doesn't even pass inflation checks since austerity, and it's never withstood scrutiny under neoliberalism either. The evolution of beaurocratic labour to such dominance in the UK isn't a coincidence, it's because we have half a million loving lawyers and accountants and they're obviously better at lawyer and accountant poo poo than everyone else, which is the only acceptable method of protest and organisation to both the people being protested and the people leading the opposition. You cannot seperate this from what liberalism wishes to do economically, to create value out of thin air because all alternatives require challenging global capital, because that "spend" has to now deal with CoL increase and general inflation and subcontractors and fees and new avenues for corruption and the naked excess of c-level culture and visible and obvious damage to services, both in function and viability. You create the beurocrats to push the paper because you already lost the multikulti/race to the bottom dilemna and can't actually create meaningful jobs without loving up landlords. And the beurocrats are expensive, and they are powerful, and your services die, and the beurocrats have a decades long row about whether it not it's immigrants fault while the "it's not" campaign, yeah, refuses to talk about anything but cultural sensitivies, and does this badly. Your spending doesn't mean anything and the differences of the lived experiences of your tribes have now become irreconcilable. Nobody who bought their house before neoliberalism can actually "get it" for the same reasons American billionaires do not understand how people could even think union busting is bad. It didn't happen to them. It doesn't matter to them. They cannot actually identify the problem to deal with it. I'd honestly rather anyone just tried to refute Graeber himself than my rehash, I've not really seen much success there though.

You can keep your argument that beurocratic reformism has actually achieved some things but it's absolutely not willing to deal with criticism of how and why it became dominant, and whether that serves everybody, without booting itself hard in the face and continuing the lob free ammunition to "anti-beurocratic" penpushers and capitalists alike for their racially inflammatory campaigns. If beurocratic reformism can't do that, and it clearly does not tolerate other avenues to power, then what are you left with? and if the beurocratic reformists power originates inside global capital, and their existence cannot be reconciled with internationalism (because of the boot-face thing), then what implentations are there other than the destruction of the middle class in Badiou's terms, and the embracing of the migratory proletariat, of Kerala, of Cuba, of eastern and southern europe, or a nationalist economic liberalism and subcontracting bonanza?

I should read Mészáros I guess, another thanet lad with good opinions