Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ola posted:

I'm holding out for the Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo S RS GT

Letting Capcom name cars now....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah my dad did that and we hated him for it once we all became adults and realized the drives he took two days to do could easily be done in one day as long as you didn’t stop at Shoney’s for sit down meals twice a day.

Stopping for five minutes to take a leak and stretch your legs every 2-3 hours is a great idea for mind and body. Stopping for 25-45 minutes every 2-3 hours is a great way to turn many one day drives into two day drives.

Do not disparage your Dad if he took you to Shoney's. :colbert: Breakfast bar, mmmmmm.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

confused posted:

For me, I'll judge it in the end by how much joy it gives me. The way I think about cost is that I divide the actual cost by the number of times it will make me happy. My benchmark is a Double-Double Animal Style with Animal Style Fries from In-n-Out which always makes me happy. In this case, I'll use it every day for its presumed lifespan of 10 years. I also know that the feeling of acceleration makes me happy. My current daily driver is a 2016 Outback 3.6R which has a flat-six that produces 256hp. It's fun because it has more power you expect it to have. The negative about it is that it has a CVT so the responsiveness to stepping on the accelerator varies a lot based on the situation. I also love the Outback because I find its performance consistent on a wide variety of surfaces. The X is almost identical in size to my Outback, so, minus the engine, it has more storage capacity and certainly more towing capacity. Additionally, the Outback has only 5 seats, so can't drive kids + wife + grandparents in the same car. Finally, with the X, I am really looking forward to the instant acceleration and the insane speed. However, I will be losing some of the Outback's versatility. When it comes to travel, my plan is to use it for lots of weekend road trips with the family.

More people should measure happiness with hamburgers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Maybe not quite good enough to top the current thread subtitle but I'm stealing dis for the chat thread.

:tipshat:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Gunslinger posted:

A Toyota BEV is like the ideal car for me - bland, reliable and solid fit/finish. Too bad this is going to be pretty late to market. That concept art looks like the newer Rav 4.

Bring back the Scion name for electric cars and remake the Scion xB toaster. :colbert:

The Soul is damned close though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Does Ford allow fast charging at its dealerships? Because that would be a hell of a perk too.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
You can hold back summer only so long before it just explodes out all over.

Hell, it's technically still spring.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

bird with big dick posted:

Big George is what I call my penis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPdHaNr0OAY

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Huh, I didn't know that Tesla did this. Hell of a way to catch someone who keys your car.

https://twitter.com/LesterDuhe/status/1440889418286616584

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Did most of you install the electrical plug needed before you bought your first EV, or are there sometimes opportunities to get it all set up to be taken care of at the dealer in one fell swoop? I assume I'd need to call an electrician and get that installed before I even go shopping for one since there are no charging stations near me but was just curious.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Slimy Hog posted:

I rent a condo and have a use a Dryer Buddy with a cable heading out my basement window and to my parking spot. I ordered all this after I bought my car because there are ample public chargers in my area (I live in Boulder Colorado where 9% of cars are some sort of EV)

EDIT: I realize this doesn't help you, I was just super surprised by that 9% stat and wanted to share.

Actually that Dryer Buddy thing looks pretty interesting, never saw that before, thanks!

cruft posted:

We got the car first, and charged with the mobile charger until the electrician made it out. It wasn't super convenient but we made it work.

If you're sure you're getting an EV, may as well put the charger in first, so it's ready when the car comes home.

That's probably what I would end up doing, but when I thought about the F-150, I figured they'd probably have some sort of dealer install for that home supply switch that might do everything at once.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fawning deference posted:

I will try to get pics up of my Ioniq in the thread -- any ideas on where to host? Is tiny image still a thing?

I've had it for a week and I'm obsessed with it. It drives beautifully, I love the design, and it feels really luxury.

And to re-iterate: the Ioniq 5 is deceptively very big. It is an SUV body size, and its wheelbase is comparable to the Toyota RAV4. It's what I love about it, since I've driven big cars all my life.

Please place a banana inside for context.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
This EV supports DP

Dual ports

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Umm.... sure?

I know I can google it but I think I'll ask anyway.

....What on earth is a baconator???

It’s Ron Swanson approved.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
God yes please.

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1532434634360901637

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Can someone post it or link past the paywall?

Ford CEO Jim Farley said Wednesday consumers should plan to see dramatic change in the near term as companies compete amid the shift to battery-operated vehicles.

"We've got to go to nonnegotiated price. We've got to go to 100% online. There's no inventory (at dealerships), it goes directly to the customer. And 100% remote pickup and delivery," he said in New York during Bernstein's 38th Annual Strategic Decisions Conference streamed live.

"Then we have this opportunity to use our physical presence to outperform" competitors, Farley said. "I think our dealers can do it. But the standards are going to be brutal. They're going to be very different than they are today."

But that's not all.

He teased that the company sees potentially huge profits in building an electric vehicle for ride-hailing services Lyft and Uber.

"Shared mobility revenue will grow a lot," Farley said. "No one has ever built a product for them."

Meanwhile, the way car companies generate revenue may change, too — like renting cars for limited use and allowing customers to pay per mile or per day, Farley said.

He believes a Mustang Mach-E owner may want to use a Ford F-150 Lightning for the weekend.

Farley forecast dramatic industry changes, including:

"We're going to see very large consolidation and big changes."

"The Chinese will become more important ... China EV makers, if you look at a $25,000 bill of materials for an EV in China, it's probably the best in the world. And I think they're incredibly undervalued. They haven't shown any interest in exporting other than Norway."

"There's a shakeout coming. And I feel like that shakeout is going to favor many of the Chinese new players."

"Old" automakers "absolutely will get consolidated. There will be some big winners, some people that transition, some won't. Many of the small players cannot afford to make this transition."

Many automakers are not investing in the software and technology required to transition, and while old suppliers will consolidate, new suppliers will emerge, he said.

"It's going to accelerate," Farley said. "With capital tightening, there are new constraints that will make the new player better. But some of them won't be able to afford to fulfill their ambitions. Because they can't raise capital."

The next three or four years will shape the automotive future. Startups like Tesla will be "forced to solve tough problems like Tesla did" with limited access to money.

Joint ventures, Farley said, too often end in failure. Acquisitions will play a key role.

"Partnerships are hard. We've been in business 118 years, and we've probably had one partnership that worked really well, Ford Otosan in Turkey," Farley said. "These are really super hard things to do. Often, they come down to leaders, the character of the leaders, and if those leaders change and they retire or leave, the whole thing can fall apart."

The opportunity for profit within the next few years can't be overstated, he said. "I think this is the most exciting kind of land grab of revenue in our industry since the Model T. I really believe that."

At the same time, Farley said, "I believe our industry is definitely heading to a huge price war."

The retail price war is already happening in China. Half of all electric vehicles in the world are sold there, and the most popular vehicle is an $8,000 van, he said.

When the second quarter profit in 2021 came out from Tesla, "it totally changed my world. It was an epiphany. It was, like, the angels sung."

It was confirmation that electric vehicles can make big money, Farley said.

The electric vehicle maker established market dominance early, he noted. And CEO Elon Musk, who announced a year ago he was legally changing his title to "Technoking" of Tesla.

"The magic of Tesla," Farley said, "is because they were capital constrained, they didn't have the money. They did things that we are too lazy to do."

Ford estimates the company's distribution model is about $2,000 per vehicle more expensive than Tesla, including one-third being inventory sitting on dealer lots, one-third or $500 to $600 per vehicle on public advertising.

Sales and reservations of the Ford F-150 Lightning and the Mustang Mach-E SUV all happened without advertising campaigns, Farley noted.

Meanwhile, Ford is working now with its dealers to focus on specialized service in a changing market. Farley noted that Tesla has dealerships in Norway, unlike the U.S., because customers in Norway wanted more service not sales.

Citing Target vs. online retailer Amazon, Farley noted that customers want in-person customer assistance. The brick-and-mortar company expanded services and added an important digital component to remain competitive.

"Target could have gone away and didn't," he said.

Farley emphasized that Ford plans to continue investing in gasoline-powered vehicles, noting that the Super Duty pickup trucks generate huge revenue for the company and battery technology isn't yet advanced enough to pivot.

"If you're a Super Duty customer towing 10,000 pounds in Montana or on the north slope of Alaska," he said. "An electric vehicle is an awful solution, the batteries are too heavy."

Still, Ford is spending $5 billion on battery electric vehicles in 2022, Ford chief financial officer John Lawler said in a taped message played at the conference. "The stakes are high but so are our ambitions."

While Ford focuses on its iconic products, vehicles such as the Ford Edge and Escape will give way to Mustang and Bronco, Farley said.

The sheer volume of money needed to compete in the electric vehicle industry will eliminate some competitors, Farley said. But he said Chinese EV makers are "incredibly undervalued."

People drive shorter distances in China than in the U.S. or western Europe, so they don't need as big of a battery.

"But the elegance of their engineering is something I'm very taken with," he said, noting that the companies get state support and are rewarded by the government for employing a lot of workers. Consumers in Asia are much more advanced than consumers in North America when it comes to digital experience in the vehicle.

"I don't think they have the same pressure on economics that we do," Farley said.

Ford is the largest employer of hourly workers in the auto industry in the U.S.

Farley is rethinking how everything is done and has been done, having seen that Mach-E ads needed to be pulled because they were sold out for two years, he said.

"Our model is messed up. We spend $600 or $700 on the vehicle to promote it and we spend nothing post-warranty on the customer experience. The problem is, on a parts business, which historically has been very profitable, we only get, maybe, only 10 or 20% of the customers come back to us."

It would be better to provide customer experiences such as complimentary vehicle detailing and software updates, he said. But the key is building loyalty among current customers "instead of doing Super Bowl ads."

He emphasized, "If you ever see Ford Motor Co. doing a Super Bowl ad on our electric vehicles, sell the stock."

Farley emphasized the need to reduce spending on defect repairs.

"We have to be radical on our quality," he said.

In addition, Farley talked about cost savings related to reengineering battery chemistry so that it uses less nickel and cobalt — and more iron and phosphate, ingredients that are cheaper and more abundant.

But all these changes require getting the best talent, including leaders such as Doug Field from Apple and Tesla, "even if they make 10 times what I do," Farley said.

"I believe there's a way for us," he said. "I feel so much better than even six months ago, because I know, I know exactly what we have to do. It's down to execution."

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Y’all acting like you’re all too good to buy shrimp from the guy on the side of the road with a seafood sign.

Now he can go electric!!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kitten emergency posted:

toss a bed of hickory chunks in the frunk, add a pork shoulder, then head down to the track

Can you add a Ron Popeil rotisserie to the Lightning frunk so you can set it and forget it?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PenisMonkey posted:

Can confirm that Buc-ee’s is huge. Hooray for early morning road trips. Also first V3 supercharger I’ve ever used.

When did Buc-ees’s start installing EV chargers? Which one is this? Would love to be able to charge in Baytown if I ever get an EV.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PenisMonkey posted:

This is in Leeds, Alabama.

Nice. I hope they all install them. Buc-ee’s is the perfect place to charge up since you normally spend 30-60 minutes in there anyway.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cruft posted:

Oh my goodness, look at this awesome thing I found researching the Ami:

My only concern is that Mario would be continuously jumping on my car.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SchrodingersCat posted:

Picked up my EV6 today. I love it. I want to make babies with it.

Would they look like Robocop?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’d vote yes and post my EV but I don’t think I’ll be able to get one until 2025.

(Pic goes here)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Wayne Knight posted:

Plus we need box cars. They just look cool. Give us EV souls, xBs, and elements!

Hell yes, give me a Scion xB EV and I’m good.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Vegetable posted:

Seems like that just means there’s a market for premium fast chargers where your cars are parked in a drive-in freezer and the chargers can go 350kw with no consequences.

Costco’s dairy room is quite cavernous.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The 2023 Lightning prices went up by quite a bit this morning, the Pro's up by $7k, $5k for the Lariat. The mobile charger's no longer included, and costs $500. The max tow package is now $1k. I think I'll pass on this since they didn't let me order a 2022.

Not surprising but that really sucks.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Because they are making a bunch of claims that just do not stack up on a car that isn't even close to production made by a startup that failed before. A 1 ton car with a 100KwH battery and 1600kms range? Sure and I have a 12 inch dick

Just believe me, my dick really is that big. No I'm not going to post proof.

Show me your Pole(star)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It just keeps getting more and more expensive.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1561362640261226499

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cruft posted:

LMFAO if you think Starfleet hadn't deployed rear end-detection logic by stardate 42353.

Sorry, they didn’t pony up the 15,000 in gold pressed latinum bars for that feature. Should’ve bought it when it was at 8k bars.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Stultus Maximus posted:

Man, they didn't even figure out how to not run high voltage plasma through computer panels by then. Even our dumbass auto manufacturers have user interface on the 12V accessory system instead of the 800 volt traction system.

So if I sit on a Tesla screen, it won’t blow up?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Three Olives posted:

Already started delivering them, launched in Dallas.

https://twitter.com/canoo/status/1562090200536420354

https://twitter.com/canoo/status/1562123307251548160

I believe they are still not the finalized design, but I could be wrong.

Looks like it could change into either Ironhide or Ratchet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Speleothing posted:

Cool, now Ford just needs to make an EV that I want. (Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger)

MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MrLogan posted:

I have literally never met one of the sociopaths that prefers Pepsi to Coke.

Head to Illinois, at least Springfield. They’re everywhere and Pepsi is not ok dammit.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mobby_6kl posted:

I imagine it would be quite a bit safer to drive if it didn't have the windshield blacked out in at least three places.

Still better than a Tesla of course.

Perhaps he could put stickers proclaiming his love for Fig Newtons there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
So much for that $39,997 Ford F-150 Lightning Pro. Ford raised the prices again by five thousand dollars.

https://electrek.co/2022/10/05/ford-raises-2023-f-150-lightning-pro-price-by-5k/

The "old" price (that was just raised a month ago) was $46,974. Now the minimum is $51,974.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Acceleration means jack poo poo (unless it's stupid slow like the Mach-E). You will never need to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. It's unsafe. Remember you drive in public roads with other people.
That’s exactly why I need to get away.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Remember you drive in public roads with other people.

Have you seen these people drive? They’re crazy. Get me away from them asap.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

mobby_6kl posted:

There's gonna be some insane rear end in a top hat in front of you anyway so you'd only be getting closer to them.

Maybe if I flash my lights and helpfully honk, he will concede my need to get somewhere in a hurry and helpfully move over.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

SlowBloke posted:

It's Sony, they are going to ask for a subscription fee even to run the fm/dab radio.

You wouldn’t rootkit a car

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Any new news on the Kia EV 9? So far from what I see, it looks almost perfect to me.

1. Level 3 driving tech
2. Looks a bit like a stretched out three row Scion XB (this is a plus for me, plenty of spacious room)
3. EV
4. Around $50,000 (would love for it to qualify for the tax break if possible but I don’t think it will)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zero One posted:

Unfortunately gators can get in through the panel gaps.

Sounds like an upcharge opportunity for gator proofing.