Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azathoth posted:

thinking about buying up a foreclosed restaurant on the cheap and turning it into an Everest Simulator. i'll put a stairstepper into the walk-in freezer, rig up some fans, slap them into a VR helmet and pump in carbon dioxide until they get that "exhausted and on the verge of death but just don't give a poo poo" feeling that can normally only be achieved at high altitude

Carbon dioxide wouldn't be the right simulation for that. What I understand is that your body decides when to take a breath based on CO2 saturation, not oxygen. That's why O2 starvation can be so insidious, your brain stops working well but otherwise you don't really notice. Too much CO2 is apparently agony.

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

For when you want them to say at your funeral, "He shall be mist"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok, yeah, the Vanity Fair article says:

quote:

Everest was the last peak in Pittman’s grand plan to become the third woman in history to scale the Top Seven, the highest mountains on each continent.

So she had climbed (six of) the Seven Summits, and not six of the seven highest mountains in the world, all of which are concentrated in the Himalayas and Karakorams and are actively hostile to human life by sheer dint of there ain't enough loving air to keep you alive, in addition to all the usual mountaineering hazards.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

One day this will be almost word-for-word true of Olympus Mons, except that it’s really wide so the hike would take several days.

Some rich rear end in a top hat will be first to the top. :smith:

Olympus Mons is so shallow that if you're standing at the foot of it, the peak is under the horizon

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If you want to get into motorsports that have Everest-level death rates, you have to get into the Isle of Man TT and other motorcycle road races.

I think I want to clarify here that by 'road races', I think FullLeatherJacket is talking specifically about races held on closed-off public roads. The TT is one of these, and there's a whole series held in I think Ireland?

The big-money motorcycle racing series like World Superbike or MotoGP are held on dedicated tracks like Laguna Seca, Motegi or Catalunya. They're often used for F1 or closed-wheel auto racing as well. Those tracks tend to have wide runoff areas, so if a rider falls, they can disperse all their energy sliding it out and often come away with no more than a sprain or a break. If someone dies in MotoGP or WSBK any more, it's nearly as big a deal as when someone dies in F1 or NASCAR. Public-street course racing is pretty niche in comparison, and while the Isle of Man TT might be the preeminent event in that community, it's not something that every racer aspires to, because it's nuts and lethal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I suppose Klingons don't use them either then.

Klingons act without honor all the time, it's just that our exposure to them is largely through the eyes of Worf, who was raised by Russians and is a bit of a Kleeaboo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I'm up in Alberta, you bring some sort of passive noise maker (not a loving Bluetooth speaker, don't be an rear end in a top hat) and some bearspray if you know how to use it. I've never even seen a bear on the trail for real, I assume it's working.

My dad used to work up north in BC and his work had him carry bear bangers as well as bear spray. If you haven't run into one before, they're like flares (fired from a flare gun) but they travel a short distance and then explode with a sharp bang. They're banned in national parks though.

I don't believe he ever had to use one on a bear, but he showed us once when we were out fishing. (We didn't fish much so it might have been the same trip where he spotted a griz footprint by the river... filling in with water. He hustled us back to the car real quick once he noticed.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

gloom posted:

By any chance, is this also why freshwater fish aren't really eaten raw like in sashimi / sushi?

After a few minutes of googling, it looks like the reason is that, while both fresh and saltwater fish commonly have parasites, more of the parasites in freshwater fish can survive the conditions of a human body. Also, ocean fish is now commonly frozen right after it's caught, killing off anything that could otherwise hurt you (unless it's toxins from an algal bloom or something, that isn't destroyed by cold or cooking.)

However, unagi is (supposed to be) freshwater eel, and salmon is of course anadromous, so it may be caught in its freshwater phase.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

WhiteHowler posted:

A lot of gun nuts are super insecure, and they're so afraid of the world that they need a tool capable of killing another human as their security blanket to keep from melting down.

My favorite example of that was the American cop on vacation in Calgary without his gun, who drat near had a panic attack when two young men walked up and asked him if he'd been to the Stampede

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/michigan-cop-wishes-he-could-carry-gun-in-calgary-park-1.909051

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A glacier made of cops

The Khumbu Copfall

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not Mount Saveamanjaro

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol at the title, thank you

Uncle Enzo posted:

I hope and pray that my passing is as peaceful. Climb a mountain in good spirits, feeling good, sit down to rest and bam you're gone. No nursing home, no strangers wiping your rear end, no seeing the stress in your kids eyes as they labor to feed and house and care for you. A clean ending on your own terms.

I can definitely see the appeal here, and the nice thing about being dead is you don't have to feel ashamed at making someone haul your dead rear end all the way down the tallest mountain in Africa

No part of that sentence is intended as sarcasm

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

Nobody gets brought down.

Yeah, I assumed he got brought down from Kilimanjaro because it's a whole lot lower and it's a hike down with no climbing. Possibly they could have helicoptered him down as well, or walked him down partway and choppered the rest. None of the articles I found said anything one way or another.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

If you can’t think of anything better to bring, bring another bladed tool

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

also some really heavy/awful stories obviously

Yeah this includes the guy who died in Nutty Putty cave

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

In my experience crashing in a Chinook was a far better experience than crashing in a Blackhawk. The added bulk is paradoxically comforting when it's matching speed with you.

I wouldn't recommend either though.

Hold on, how many helicopter crashes have you survived?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Two, which is more than enough frankly.

Don't join the Army, kids!

No worry there unless they start drafting fat 40-year-olds

*Gilligan cut to me in cadpat on a beat to poo poo sea king on my way to Ellesmere Island to be thrown into the neosoviet meatgrinder*

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

if you laid out all these posts about culture heritage counting and agriculture how tall would they be compared to everest

Many

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

There are no laws at the top at present. I would beat the poo poo out of other climbers and make them swear allegiance to my royal house. They would call me the Peak King.

Somebody throws a rock at you
One of your vassals yells "Peak King, duck!"
I show up out of nowhere with little pancakes, chopped scallions, and hoisin sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BaconCopter posted:

Bloody hell I'm going to die to Boney M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_uK33aQY8

When your brain is so desperate to live that it just annoys you into getting up and moving