Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bilirubin posted:

seriously though that crack to the left is an elevator

Everest is not for people with climbing skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm pretty sure those firms already have contracts that say their guides can call off an expedition at any time. That was part of that reality show about an expedition company; the head guy was constantly evaluating if the climb was even going to happen or not and he could deny individuals if they weren't acclimating well or were fuckups in general.

Yup. The story says that not only was that clause in the contract, the contract also recommended buying trip insurance, which the CEO didn't.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

cubivore posted:

also I finished reading into thin air not too long ago and while it was a good and interesting book I had a weird feeling about it, like, the way krakauer assigned motivations to people and tried to sort of make characters out of them with playing around with the blame. it's been too long for me to bring up specifics tho

Anatoly Boukreev was pretty pissed off at being critiqued for his successful rescue of other climbers.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jeza posted:

Yep. In the spirit of most competitive sporting things, there is usually a somewhat arbitrary line drawn as to what constitutes outside assistance. 'Outside' generally meaning 'not born with it'. So Olympic swimmers don't get to wear flippers or certain advantageous swimsuits, but if you happen to born with size 20 feet and glossy smooth skin that's A-OK.
Unless you're a woman with high testerone, in which case you can't compete because ~science~.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

It's definitely something about that personality type, whatever the cause, astronauts have absolutely atrocious relationship survival rates. Reading about the early days of American space flight is ridiculous, none of them are ever at home, and nearly all of them are cheating on their wives on the regular, with the marriages only staying intact because getting divorced meant you wouldn't get to fly.

IIRC the originals were all fighter pilots, who are famous for loving around. High-adrenaline-need personalities + toxic masculinity for the win.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

Of course we want to impress girls,

I'll take "Dumbest reasons to climb" for 500, please, Alex.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Outrail posted:

And then crows or other animals. Ate the eyes and tounge.

Radioactivity can be explained by 'its was Russia and... You know, Russia things'.
It used to be standard (sometimes still is) for camping lantern mantles to be dosed with Thorium.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ante posted:

It's weird how tech people have gravitated towards climbing.
That's been true since the 1970s; it shows up in the Jargon File. For climbing gyms, substitute bouldering and buildering.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Outrail posted:

I'm talking more about the potential for some creep to keep taking people and having a huge list of 'missing, presumed lost'.
Nah. Going into Yosemite (for instance) takes effort, and finding victims who won't be missed for a long time is even harder. Hiking into the back country and hoping to find another hiker? Better to grab somebody at a well-populated site and (one solution) dump them a mile from the highway. Unfortunately, it's very well documented that the cops don't care what happens to sex workers, homeless people, and transients.

Disclaimer: I am not a serial killer and do not spend time figuring how best to dispose of the bodies of my enemies. Because I'm disabled and would need help lifting them.

I recommend Death in Yosemite, if you're curious.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

K2 wants to kill you, but Yosemite doesn't at all mind killing you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RobotCoupeDetat posted:

Also, anecdata: among my group of friends who climb, backpack, ski, mountaineer, ski-mountaineer, etc., there's about a dozen ACL tears (all at resorts, though), about half a dozen climbing accidents ranging from calcaneus fractures to death (1), and one lightning strike (he lived and still climbs). Literally zero attacks by bears or other wildlife.

Well, except robber jays, but they are right bastards.

TBF, bears are not noted for their big-wall technique.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Holy cats.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Except for that dude in Season 1 of Alone who eliminates himself through self-actualization after building a canoe and yurt and being in a much better position than the others and simply decides he's figured out what he wants to do in life through the experience.
There was a famously grueling around-the-world single-handed sailing competition, the Sunday Times Golden Globe*. Bernard Moitissier, the guy who was way in the lead, decided that nah, he'd just rather sail, and headed off to do something else.

* If you've heard of it, it's because of Donald Crowhurst, who faked his location, went mad, and (probably) committed suicide.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Stitch it into the clothes you wear there obviously

This is an interesting point. I'm guessing they must inspect clothes before you go in? Because otherwise I'm totally stashing extra wire/cord/whatever.

My list:
Satphone
Cucumber sandwiches for nibbling while I wait for the rescue folks to show up

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Two madmen just skied down Half Dome. Successfully. I can only salute.

quote:

“If you fall to your left or right, you’re definitely dead,” said JT Holmes, a professional freeskier from Reno who is a friend of one of the skiers. “If you fall down the middle, you have a small chance of not falling to your death — but it’s a maybe.”

“We’d ski a few hundred feet, then run out of snow, do a rappel, then ski some more,” Torlano said.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Much to everyone's surprise, there's a COVID outbreak at Base Camp and the Nepal government is covering it up.

quote:

A doctor with the International Society of Mountain Medicine (ISMM) who spoke anonymously to Explorersweb blog over the weekend about the situation in the camp complained about the inability to identify cases of Covid-19 at the temporary medical facility that is set up at Everest base camp each season.

“We have protocols in place at the Himalayan Rescue Association’s clinic for treating patients with suspected Covid,” he said. “We have been denied permission by the ministry of health to do PCR testing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nocheez posted:

The largest is Mount Mitchell in NC, like 6800'. I hiked it in February, the was snow at the top but I was in shorts.

Mount Washington is 6288', and it kills people every year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

This discussion got me thinking, and it's probably a really stupid question but do we really know Hillary and Norgay were the first to summit? A quick googling shows the qualifying language "first confirmed to summit," but there's no way sherpas have been living there for... who knows how long, and they never tried until some white guy showed up? Come on.
Climbing Everest without supplemental oxygen is much riskier than with, and only the beasts of climbing can do it, with a lot of training beforehand. From Outside magazine:

quote:

For Ballinger, training for Everest was his first priority and full-time job. He fit work and other responsibilities around his weekly training schedule, which included 30 to 40 hours of backcountry skiing, skinning, hiking with added weight, and regular runs. He logged all his training on Strava. The charts below depict the four months leading up to his summit bid.

Sherpas had a living to get; supporting one or more people who were doing nothing but build muscle to climb Everest would have been a big community investment, and for what?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ante posted:

Sure, some crazy assholes have done it without one or two of those things, but not without every single one. It wouldn't be one lone wolf deciding to climb Everest, it would be an entire community of subsidy farmers deciding to support one dickhead for a vanity project over several years.
Furthermore, AFAIK nobody climbed any of the 7000-meter Himalayan mountains alone the first time. The first successful climbs on the big mountains were done siege-style, with teams of people going up, placing supplies, going down, and setting up individual stages supplied with food and equipment. People climbing any of those mountains today, oxygen-assisted or not, have a route map. They know which routes are actually accessible. They may lay out new routes, but they never risk getting 4000 meters up and going "poo poo, this ledge dead-ended and there's no way up from here". Reinhold Messner and his followers, doing Alpine-style, are relying both on intensive personal skills/training and on space-age superlight materials for both clothing and gear.

Climbing one of these mountains requires an enormous amount of time and expertise invested by people who aren't the climbers. Messner wasn't using a wooden axe with an iron head; he would have been using fiberglass to start with and lighter materials as they were invented. Similarly, his backpacks would have been made from man-made fabrics and aluminum supports, and his stove would have been burning some petrochemical or other, and on and on. Even Meissner couldn't have done "alpine-style" climbing in the outfit Mallory set off to Everest in, or in anything based on natural textiles and readily-available metals.

e: I just found this quote.

quote:

From 1965 to 1968, attempts were made by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), in co-operation with the Intelligence Bureau (IB), to place a nuclear-powered telemetry relay listening device on the summit of Nanda Devi.[6] This device was designed to intercept telemetry signals from missile test launches conducted in the Xinjiang Province, at a time of relative infancy in China's missile program.[7] The expedition retreated due to dangerous weather conditions, leaving the device near the summit of Nanda Devi. They returned the next spring to search for the device, which ended without success.[6] As a result of this activity by the CIA, the Sanctuary was closed to foreign expeditions throughout much of the 1960s. In 1974 the Sanctuary re-opened.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 21, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

orange juche posted:

Everest is Darwin's perfect challenge, competent mountaineers generally survive it, while a lot of people who have no business near mountains but are climbing for bragging rights get turned into ice sculptures in the death zone.
Do competent mountaineers even bother with Everest any more? I'd think that photograph of the line waiting to summit would have permanently turned away somebody who actually cared about climbing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

i think that yall are forgetting that, even with the lame bits and lines and all that, being able to say "i have climbed the tallest mountain in the world" would be pretty fuckin cool

Nah. Saying "I climbed K2"? All the respect in the world. "I climbed Everest"? Introduce me to your Sherpa, I bet he has some interesting stories to tell.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drat. Nice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ewe2 posted:

New rule: you don't get to summit until you've taken down some trash. No I don't care if it's your first time, call it an acclimatization run. Maybe it'll put them off and save lives (who am I kidding, half of them will fall off the edge picking up a gas bottle).

This is already the case.

National Geographic posted:

They also started a deposit initiative, which has been running since 2014. Anyone visiting Mount Everest has to pay a $4,000 deposit, and the money is refunded if the person returns with eight kilograms (18 pounds) of garbage—the avegae amount that a single person produces during the climb.
https://education.nationalgeographic.org/resource/trash-and-overcrowding-top-world/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jose posted:

Didn't some Google exec immediately beat him to show off?

Yup, Eric Schmidt. (Who I think was ex-Google then, but IDK enough to google it.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Potrzebie posted:

To be fair to Alan Eustace, he did it in the least comfortable way I can imagine, spending two hours hanging face down under a balloon while being uncomfortable hot. Not exactly the gently caress you I'd imagine from a rich dude.
Oh, whoops. Thanks for the catch.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm also pleased that it's listed as her and her sherpa, not "Freda Smith climbed K2 with an assist from 12 sherpas".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Vegetable posted:

I don’t understand how he didn’t have even a down jacket.
I saw that and wondered. A typical thing for people freezing to death to do is to strip off their clothes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

orange juche posted:

Yeah I caught it later down the article that the article writer was from a team that was piloting drones at high altitude to get pictures to sell to climbers
Okay, the 6Ks have turned into Disneyland.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm reading the Outside magazine article on the 1968 Mt. Hood disaster.

quote:

A tall, handsome service veteran, Harder had earned the nickname Bagger because his first 24 missions with the 304th had, unfortunately, ended without any live rescues.
Emergency worker humor is harsh, man.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If it comes from growing, you are very conscious of when things are sowed vs. when they produce. Not in numbers per se, but in terms of "this only grows in rainy season" and "we get two crops of X in the time it takes to get one crop of y."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

:science: Actually, only 12.4 percent of women have a 28-day cycle! Most women cannot predict the full moon by checking for blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

RIP a genuine hero.