Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone with an interest in the Himalayas should definitely hike the Annapurna Circuit at some point. One of the coolest things I've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Buttcoin purse posted:

As a highly accomplished Everest thread reader (:v:) I did immediately notice you went up almost 2000m in one day which seems like a lot. Is my recollection correct that the rule of thumb is 1000m per day? This is relevant information for me because apparently there are some roads that go up about that high.

Also that sounds pretty horrible! Did you even enjoy getting to the summit?

When I did the AC when you got over 3500m or so the rule of thumb is 500m per day. You can go higher as long as you actually sleep lower.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I thought I had altitude sickness one night in Nepal at around 4200m as I was just feeling weird and sick when I was trying to sleep. I really, really didn't want to go back down as I was loving the trek. Turns out I got food poisoning and spent the rest of the night puking and making GBS threads into the squat toilet of the teahouse. I've never been so relieved to be so sick let me tell you.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G0fNkk4g0A

Have a very well shot film about a team of selfish idiots who don't disclose the real reason they're on Everest to their Sherpa team until midway into their expedition and subsequently put them in a very awkward position, and put themselves in more danger than necessary.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It's been linked before but the fresh discussion of K2 reminded me of it. If you want a well written report on what it's like to summit and descend K2 and really get a feel on how utterly physically and mentally taxing it is, check out Alan Arnette's blogs from it. Specifically these two:

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2014/08/27/k2-summit-unkowns/

quote:

Standing at a full stop I was surrounded by nothing.

The air was black, the chill penetrating. The feeling of death was real.

My shoulders hurt under weight of the pack that held my life support – two bottles of oxygen connected to my facemask.

All I could hear was my own essence flowing through my sporadic, heavy breathing.

My arms went limp as I struggled to remain standing. I lifted my head and looked for my teammates. “Ah, there is Garrett, Matt and Koncha. They are not far away, moving well but the gap is widening between us.” I told myself knowing the reality was serious and I was having problems.

Only an hour out of Camp 4 at 25,500 feet on K2, I was dying.

I coughed deeply, it hurt, each one nipping away at my strength. I gasped again for air. I felt like I was drowning.

An immense feeling of debilitating fatigue overtook me. I felt discouraged, and disappointed. I was losing the physical, mental and emotional battle and there was nothing I could do to stop it. I felt helpless, hopeless and ready to capitulate to K2.

A sense of overwhelming sadness penetrated me like a cold mist in a dense fog reaching every part of my mind, body and soul. It was all I could just to remain standing.

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2014/09/04/k2-descending-real-climb/

quote:

I was so tired I could barely stand up. My lungs were hurting so badly, I couldn’t take more than two breaths without a hard, painful cough. I was so dehydrated, I spit back up any water that trickled into my throat.

A thought formed in my confused mind: the descent will be worse than the climb.

Aphex- fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 6, 2021

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

What if we deported all cops to mount Everest though

Finally the other side gets to experience "I can't breathe"

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

hemale in pain posted:

I always wonder how real those shows with survival experts are. I'd like to see a 'celeberity' version of Alone with people like Bear Grylls and Ed stafford and see if they can actually do what they claim.

I'd imagine Ed Stafford would do well since he has some good survival credentials. He got famous for being the first person to walk the length of the Amazon, took him 2 years IIRC. And he did a really good 3 part series about being left on a desert island for 60 days. Seems like he's pretty legit.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the Scottish highlands are one of the most sparsely populated places in Europe so you can be a fair ways away from other people if you want.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
There's always Inaccessible Island too.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Phy posted:

It's not Mount Saveamanjaro

lol

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Kamrat posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I've now watched the docu and while it is nice and good I think they focused too little on the climbing aspect, some mountains they did was just, "Oh yeah we did this peak as well, moving on..."

Yeah I really liked the docu mainly for giving Nepalese climbers the credit they finally deserve, but it was a little frustrating that they pretty much breezed past the actual mountain climbing. Only really the bottleneck on K2 and the queues on Everest got a real mention. I wish Annapurna got more attention seeing as it's like the most deadly one.

That said, the whole thing was crazy and summiting Everest, Lhotse and Makalu in 48 hours was loving insane.

Edit: I really like this short film about summiting Gasherbrum II, it's very intense -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OBX25ix4eU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Facebook Aunt posted:

Lucky she didn't run out of oxygen. :v

Why does the BBC use miles? Did Brexit mean opting out of metric too?

We use a dumb mishmash of metric and imperial depending on what we want to measure. No I have no idea why either.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

This thread consistently delivers the best titles.

Leperflesh posted:

Elwood did it, in the previous thread. His posts about it start here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762301&userid=19933#post465627822
Unfortunately all his imgur photos seem to be gone.

Aphex- also did it, and posted some stuff here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762301&userid=91681#post466315771
Those photos were on flickr and are also gone.

Yeah I did the AC! I took that flickr down due to privacy issues but if anyone is curious about the AC I'd be happy to share the pictures!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

basicblack posted:

Scientific evidence of two of my favorite things in the world occupying the same space: PALLAS CATS ON MOUNT EVEREST!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pallas-cat-mount-everest_n_63d549c1e4b0c2b49adcd976

Pallas's Cats are the best.

quote:

Conservation biology researcher and Pallas’s cat enthusiast Paige Byerly celebrated the news on Twitter with an apt comment.

“The idea of a Pallas’s cat sneering at elite climbers from behind a rock is truly warming my heart,” she wrote.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Pressure doesn't matter as long as you can equalise your ears and yeah it'll be cold but that record was probably with some kind of wetsuit. Freediving has much less chance of getting the bends too because you're not actually down there for long enough.

Holding your breath for that long though is still absolutely insane.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Back in 2007 I spent a few months doing some volunteer conservation work in the Yucutan, which involved a lot of scuba diving. Our instructor was a cave diver, so naturally he also got us cavern diver certified. That involved spending a couple of days at one of the many cenotes dotted around the Yucutan, Dos Ojos. Cavern diving is technically different and "safer" than cave diving, the difference being this:

Our instructor was a bit of a crazy guy, and on the last cavern dive he took us on he decided to take us deeper into the cave on an actual cave dive instead. We ended up being single file in this cave only about three times as wide and high as a person laying horizontal, kicking up loads of dust and fine particles and not being able to see poo poo. We surfaced in this cavern with just a tiny slice of natural light at the top which was completely filled with nesting bats. Our instructor had the biggest poo poo-eating grin on his face when he told us we just did a cave dive. After that and we dived back through the cave, at the end of it he got us all to turn off our lights and just floated there in the pitch black underwater. It was absolutely surreal.

The whole cavern and cave diving experience was one of the best things I've ever done and even 16 years later I still think about it. I haven't gone cave diving since but that's probably a good thing tbf. Anyway here are a few 2007-era digital camera pics of it:

This was the entrance of the cenote where we started the dive.

The cave just disappears into the darkness.

The water in the cavern was so crystal clear most of the time it was like you were just floating in the air.

This sign isn't the exact same one since I couldn't find a pic myself of the one at Dos Ojos, but it looked the same as this one. We swam up to it and it was incredibly eerie, the current at the point where this sign was was super strong, like it was trying to pull us further into the cave. It really was like darkness beckoning you in a way. Especially when we spent a whole day pre-cavern diving basically being told all the different ways other people have died doing it.

Anyway I guess this is an odd thread to put this in but since there was chat about it I thought I might as well

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

gently caress I should have read the sign properly

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure I've posted this before but Alan Arnette's blog about climbing K2 is excellent and really makes you realise how loving hard it is. The summit push and descent report are really well written and I feel exhausted just reading it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

I haven’t watched it all the way thru either but when I was watching the livestream last night he mentioned his pack being 40 pounds because of all the battery banks.

I just watched this part it’s insane how clueless he is.

When I first started watching this I had thought he was an actual hiker or mountaineer who was doing a bit. Realizing that this is his actual personality was an absolute mindfuck. At the 7:08 in this vod was when I began to realize this and any suspension of disbelief rapidly fell apart after that:
https://www.youtube.com/live/IcEC_iuED54?feature=share

e:

Go to 7:52 in the link above for a real treat

Lol when I did the Annapurna Circuit my pack was 10kgs (22lbs) and that was more than enough for me.

I can't believe he's struggling already and he's only at Namche, he isn't going to get anywhere near base camp.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The day I trekked up Thorong La pass, every step I took felt like I'd just sprinted for 2 minutes. It's so weird though because after 30 seconds of rest I felt totally normal again. Rinse and repeat for 3 hours. That was at 5,416m (17,769 ft). When I finished for the day down in Muktinath at 3,762 m (12,343 ft) I felt like I could drink the air.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Sen’s Fortress but on Everest

after weeks of acclimatization and an arduous few day's climb up from base camp, I arrive at the summit of the tallest mountain in the world and am greeted with a single sign, "try jumping".

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

gohuskies posted:

Great example of how hard this is on the families of the guys dying in the sub:

Sink 182

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i know people can gently caress up on british peaks, but it doesn't make them less pathetic. that one is not even 1000 meters. dramatic landscape is not britain's strong point

edit: i just realized that ten thousand pages ago i made this same point but better. sorry thread. i'm gonna punish myself now. i'm not going to tell you how, but it would gross you out, and that's a promise

lol do you think that something has to be over 1000m to be dramatic?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Wales has some awesome hikes and you can definitely get in trouble easily if you're not careful. It's no surprise that a lot of Everest climbers train there.

I hiked up Snowdon via Crib Goch ridge a few years ago and it was awesome. I'd love to do more ridge walks now like the Aonach Eagach and Cuillin Ridge. This is a pic I took of Crib Goch after having walked it.

(On the one day of the year there was pure sun lol)

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol why are people hating on the british landscape. its just nature. you don't need to dunk on it. it didnt have an empire and slavery and poo poo. its just trees and rocks

*points to rock* CANCELLED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I would simply fashion a snowboard out of my frozen poop and shred all the way down from the summit