Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have come to possess a mountain bike with perhaps the worst hydraulically actuated brakes known to mankind, Hayes So1e.

What should I replace them with?

Rotors are 180 mm/160 mm front/rear and condition is fine. Upsizing the rear rotor might be problematic with frame clearance.

Post mount in front. IS in back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Too late.

I already ordered MT520 front/MT500 rear, MT501 levers on both.

:homebrew:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 5, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dog Case posted:

For the first time ever I think we need new terms for types of bikes, because "gravel bike" currently encompasses Path Less Pedaled style "riding my platform pedaled fat tire bike on gravel roads while wearing Crocs" and also misplaced roadies racing carbon bikes on gravel roads.

Famous bicycle mechanics Wilbur & Orville Wright built gravel bikes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who has the most phallic grips?

Here is my nomination.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the four rounds of ammunition.

Potassium permanganate is an O.K. disinfectant but does not counteract snake venom.

Paludrin works but would not be taken as a sole antimalarial today.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 23, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

distortion park posted:

Her bike is 16.7kg unloaded

:same:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I heard about a guy who had bear spray mounted under the downtube.

His front tire kicked up a rock that pierced the can.

Good times were had.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dog Case posted:

It's neat that tubeless has been around for over 20 years and it still has that diy packing tape garage conversion that doesn't always work right feeling to it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ENVE posted:

So herein lies the number one problem in road/gravel tubeless innovation today. Rim manufacturers have outpaced the rate at which some tire manufacturers have innovated, creating a complicated environment for consumers when it comes to pairing tires with their new state-of-the-art hookless road or gravel rims.

quote:

According to Continental product manager, Jan-Niklas Jünger: “[hookless] does not work in our favour and we would certainly prefer to stay on hooked rims as it allows more safety to the end user, however we understand the wheelbuilding industry will push towards hookless-only as it decreases weight, carbon-scrap rate, production costs etc.

“As for now, we would like to recommend all our customers not to use our road tires with any hookless rims, if you are choosing gravel tires we’ve got you covered.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blackhawk posted:

Hah yeah, from reading the Giant hookless compatibility table it seems like Continental has already made a GP 5000 tire variant that they're willing to let Giant say is compatible with their hookless rims, so I think once the big brands start swinging their dicks around the tire manufacturers will give in, but you can see they're reluctant because it's basically wheel manufacturers cost-cutting their process by shifting that cost onto tire manufacturers.

That ENVE quote is so far up its own rear end with their “we’re moving fast and breaking things and they’re not :qq:” attitude, but yeah I figured that if bikes are coming with hookless rims in any real quantity, tire makers are going to want a slice of that pie.

Conversely, if tires remain cheaper to make for hooked rims, they’ll have a niche for a long time.

It’s a shame that carbon fibre can’t be extruded into arbitrary profiles like metal.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 14, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tarlibone posted:

I would murder so many people to have a 73° F dew point on 100° days.

Frankly it’s too muggy any time the dew point climbs into the fifties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you bought new tires, but also want “newer wheels and tires”, what’s your sunk cost here? The saddle? That’s something that you can probably carry over if you want to.

I’m a believer that old stuff works fine, if it’s working just keep maintaining it, but if you have to replace everything but the frame, that pretty quickly adds up to a down payment on a new bike.

At least price them all out before you start buying and replacing parts one‐by‐one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spherical washers are fine. They don’t shift on me when I tighten the bolt.

I can’t say that of disc brakes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you think you won’t be Flinstoning on a dandy horse

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

When you got a group ride at five but need to hack a radio network at six.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cogs with ten teeth have always been an unalloyed good when you’re working with a single chainring.

You’ll notice that the 2× groupsets only go to eleven.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I carry repair supplies, and they seem to function as talismans against any event where they would be used.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Shimano Allfine hub has a good range as far as those things go, but the sprockets and the reduction in the hub basically cancel out, and you’re left with 1:1 as your lowest gearing. This is probably not as low as you want for bikepacking.

If a chain were involved, I’d say “whatever, chains and gears are cheap enough and easy to change, and how fast* do you really want to go in the highest gear?”, but you probably don’t want to swap out everything on a new bike.

There’s also the difficulty of fixing it if something goes wrong on a bikepacking trip, yeah.

*Out of the box, it can do like sixty‐five kilometres per hour in top gear at a cadence of hundred and twenty.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cable-actuated disc brakes are a trick to get the bean counters to allow designers to spec frames, forks, and wheels for disc brake mounts and rotors.

When you get fed up with them, it’s easy enough to throw on some Shimano oildraulics.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

w4ddl3d33 posted:

(german for bike shed is 'radhaus' in case you ever need it)

You can’t fool me.

That’s too short for a proper German word. Must be Swamp German.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I bought and installed a white saddle.

This was probably a mistake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i cannot for the life of me figure out what this means.

I immediately got black smudges on it because I had just handled the dusty and possibly slightly greasy seat post and the clamp. They wiped off with alcohol, but I sense It’s going to be a recurring issue. At least the chain is waxed and the bike has disc brakes, so there’s no aluminum oxide from brake tracks.

Road dust is unavoidable though.

w4ddl3d33 posted:

has my brain just totally rotted?

It’s a safe assumption on this website.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a great feeling when I’m like “this hill is kicking my rear end today… oh I’m climbing it in a higher gear”.

And then a rider on a single‐gear bike blows past like it’s nothing. :negative:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some of the Chester “knockoffs” are better than the Chester itself because they don’t have a pronounced hump for the spindle.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hydraulics loving own.

Give me hydraulic rim brakes.

Give me hydraulic shifting.

Give me a hydraulic dropper post.

Give me hydraulic transmission of power from the crank to the wheel.

e: Also hydraulic fork/rear shock lockout, hydraulic bell, hydraulic horn, hydraulic power meter, hydraulic lights—maybe carbide or gas mantle for those.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 19, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah I know.

I expect that it’s not great for reasons that have little to do with it being hydraulic and a lot to do with it being a first‐generation product.

If Rotor sends me a bike equipped with the system, I will give it my honest review on the Something Awful comedy forum.

If they let me keep the bike, I will give a dishonest review.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was also hydraulic dropper seat post actuation, in the old Rockshox Reverbs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t have both a waxed chain and a guard ring protecting you from such mishaps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Wearing a mountain biking helmet on the road to trigger the dentists.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shadowhand00 posted:

Grams vs. aero though - skin isn't aero unless you're remco.

Tucking/taping confirmed æro.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Some replacement crank lengths and chainring combinations will be unavailable. For example, some Ultegra cranksets with 53-39 chainrings will be replaced with 52-36 chainrings. Dura-Ace 180mm cranks will be replaced with 177.5mm cranks.

[…]

Retailers who are eligible to participate and opt-in are being compensated $7 in the U.S. and CA$100 for Canadian retailers per qualified inspection

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Crumps Brother posted:

Did I miss something that mentioned power meters? Cuz I have a left and right PM on one of my two cranks that are on the list.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/recalls/2023/09/21/shimano-recalls-760-000-hollowtech-road-cranks-after-receiving-4-500-incident posted:

If the consumer has purchased an affected crank with a third-party power meter installed, such as a Stages, Pioneer or 4iiii power meter, Shimano will accept the crank back and return a new crank without a power meter and compensate the consumer. The compensation rates start at $300 for a single non-drive side power meter to $500 for a dual-sided meter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The range of commonly available crank sizes is weirdly narrow.

If we assume that hundred and seventy five millimetre cranks are appropriate for a person five foot eleven inches in height (one point eight metres), cranks of one hundred and sixty‐five millimetres would be appropriate for someone who is five foot seven inches (one point seven metres).

I’m not saying that even shorter cranks are the answer to all fit troubles, but I am saying that they shouldn’t be so niche. One in four American men is shorter than five foot seven inches and nine in ten American women are.

Or maybe short people are actually using perfect cranks, and it is tall people who could make good use of longer ones.

In either event, if it’s likely that a random sample of thirty people will have the extremes differing by more than twenty percent in height, why is it that the longest cranks in the shop are only six percent longer than the shortest?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is the stupidest bike poo poo I've read since Bicycling's thing about the f150 being the ultimate cycling accessory

yeah that would be the element

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dynamos are for dinosaurs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Dynamo” hubs are stupid.

Contactless induction is the future.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Awkward Davies posted:

Are there any cheap-ish glasses people can recommend that don't look like they unofficially sponsored the Jan 6 riots?

Best I can do is expensive ones that look like they sponsored the January Sixth rioters but in fact hate their guts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mederlock posted:

Yeah it's a blast to take drop bars through single track.

Makes a person want to install a suspension fork…

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Two of the four fatal mountain lion attacks in the United States in the past twenty years were on mountain bikers.

You’re still way more likely to be killed by a snake or a tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slavvy posted:

*pedalling at full power as the mountain lion closes in on me* THIS IS STATISTICALLY UNLIKELY!!!

That’s how you get KOM/QOM.