Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Feels weird, this year has been insane with work and orders and now the boss is saying we're gonna expand and built an assembly line to make production more efficient. So I got work cut out for me, been going to work every drat day except when I had vacation. My work is located in a rural municipality of 2200 people though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

Who the gently caress drinks five coffees a day every day you'd loving die in a week.

Nah coffee is good for you.

Unlike that evil tea brew...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Grandma's alright (from the BSS thread, posted by user How Wonderful!)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I keep intending to buy some booze but I just never get around to it. It's also very expensive here and most times I am near Alko (state booze monopoly) I have often bought a shitload of groceries and stuff and don't feel like burning more money. I am very cheap so I guess this hinders my efforts at increasing my alcohol consumption. I should get some baileys (or rather some cheap knockoff) to put in my coffee.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Filboid Studge posted:

In other news, I’ve been wondering how the hell Johnson thinks they’re going to survive the food shortages in spring. Horrible feeling they’re going to Peterloo it, lots of Are Boys excitedly post away on their forums about how they’d love the chance to open up on UK civilians.

He's been watching this series and taking down notes, you might as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUsU5s0ofYo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Southern and Eastern Africa has default lemonade as the clear fizzy stuff, which makes me think it looks more like:

Except India has their own thing going on. As they probably should, they invented it.

That's the Brexit plan, isn't it? :ohdear:

Roy Moore did both.

Funny thing in but in Finland "limonadi" also refers to a fizzy drink. Us swedish speakers call it "limonad" but if you go over to sweden and use that word to refer to soda people look at you like you're an alien.

oh dear better pay some cat tax:

edit, have another

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 7, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Darth Walrus posted:

The civil rights movement tooling up was historically pretty useful in repelling cops and fash/KKK militias. Read up on the Deacons for Defense and Justice.

Or the british suffragettes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Excluding fuel costs, how much do you reckon it costs to run a small car for a year?
(No, I can't drive and looking at driving test sites is giving me mild panic attacks - I was just wondering how many taxis I could take for the same cost!)

My own car a Yaris, 800€ ish in taxes and insurance.

edit: 470€ of that is the very high tax on diesels in this country (upside is diesel is cheaper than gasoline).

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 7, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Kinda OT but did you know that if you have your personal account linked to your company's FB page (I am an admin on ours) it seems like it can lead to your personal account being exposed to outside access.

My coworker got a new office smart phone and he asked "is this your personal FB feed?", the FB app came preinstalled and apparently logged on with my account automatically. Nobody ever typed in a password anywhere on the phone.

We deleted the FB app from the phone, I don't have the FB app on my personal phone either.

I really want to find out the chain of events that lead to this, I am confident it has something todo with me having to link my personal FB account to the company FB page and that is probably linked to our google acccounts or something.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oo- er missus.
I need to know more about this. I was a Business Manager on our CLP FB page and am also my own Business Manager. I'm not linked to the CLP page anymore as I'm not in the party, but I might be linked to the branch page because I haven't managed to off-load that yet!
And people wonder why I delete all my posts, comments, unlike all my likes periodically.

I made a post on the support board about it and I will continue to see what kind of chain links my account to the phone (all I can think of is google accounts, but that shouldn't be possible IMO), it is really indefensible for the app to work like that regardless of how it's linked

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Man my commute isn't bad compared to some of these, 25km one way on a straight, paved rural road, takes me 20 minutes on a good day. Main traffic dangers are moose and deer. I saw a fox a few weeks ago too, and some curious fawn.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

That's pickled eggs, not regular boiled.

A surprising amount of the food you eat from sandwich places comes in blue bags covered in suspicious fluids.

Though that said there is an opportunity there for some enterprising sort to buy up all the eggs and pickle them all and sell them again at an inflated price.

Wait, people buy preboiled eggs? loving capitalism.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

happyhippy posted:

gently caress where did we go wrong.

Global capitalism won

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Vitamin P posted:

Do you actually think the CCP "does politics for the good of people"?

Outmanouvering developed economies by being systemically dogshit, be it workers rights, environmental externalities, international law etc while also being a literal loving dictatorship isn't alleviated by some wanky thing that isn't even a welfare state developing. The CCP is noblesse oblige at best and frankly it isn't as good as that.

Sounded to me from that tweet that the CCP will be forcing people out of their homes and into cities where they can be used up in factories. It's all got very british industrial revolution undertones, reminds me of the british land reform when they took all the common land from the farmers and they then got ground to dust in hellish conditions in factories in cities.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Private Speech posted:

Yeah if they mean to remove their internal migration restriction system (i.e. the hukou permit system) then if anything that's allowing natural migration to happen, rather than restricting it to avoid overwhelming urban infrastructure (if we're being charitable anyway).

I think the hukou permit system was used as a means to deny workers health care while forcing them to live and work in the cities and so they would not have to spend money on expanding the health care and other infrastructure to match the increased need.

If they really wanted to help people in the rural areas IMO they could've spent some money on infrastructure and education where they where living, instead of doing stuff like building ghost cities. This made me wonder if they're trying to make people move into those places, or if they want them as fuel for their existing factory hubs / just a way to depress wages.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

- Lady I'm somehow still in a relationship with a decade later coming into the kitchen while I'm cooking, after I've just emptied a jar of pasta sauce into a pan, complaining that I'm 'wasting' the remaining dregs left in the jar, and proceeding to fill it with tap water, shake it up, and pour the whole thing in completely off her own back.

I thought this was a universally accepted practice.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

stev posted:

It's fine if you use a tiny splash of water. Otherwise it's just a jar of water.

Yeah you only need a little, then you let it cook for a little while extra to reduce it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jose posted:

It adds flavour that water doesn't and you should be drinking the rest of the wine anyway

A full jar of wine is definitely a waste

I don't really buy wine that often, once a year perhaps.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

minema posted:

So a Bluetooth fm transmitter just plugs into your charger and you can connect the radio to it?! I assumed I'd need an aux port to connect my phone this changes everything! I've got so many audiobooks to catch up on.

I need to get one of these. I have a model that connects to my phones audio jack and those things never last, always break inside near the plug itself. Bluetooth model wouldn't have those issues.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

When I was looking up information surrounding it apparently Sweden has recently opened a new type of steel plant that uses hydrogen rather than coal:

http://www.theunfilteredlens.org/2020/08/31/sweden-opens-the-worlds-first-sustainable-steel-plant/

I thought we used electric heating for steel since quite a long while back in both sweden and finland. I know it's hard to get coke here for blacksmithing, hardly anyone in the country uses coal or coke so I can only get it like from two places, one fart north and one far south.

EDIT: Does seem the plants in Luleå in Sweden uses coke and coal for steel. And me who read about electric blast furnaces being used way back in the early 20th century in Sweden.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 4, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1313115702182719489

Love the spluttering that of course Bin Laden is worse than Trump.

I've maintained for a while that Reagan and his legacy has killed far, far more americans than Bin Laden and his cronies ever managed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ok I'm a terrible, bad person. I sincerely hope the covid takes him, especially since I found out today that a friend (only just 40 years old) had it in February and is still having hospital follow ups for assorted lung, blood clot and other side-effects.

You'd have to be a terrible person not to wish Trump dead.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bobstar posted:

Going back to electricity chat briefly, I think you'll enjoy this Dutch weirdness. How would you hook up a 7.2kW single phase electric hob? 32A breaker and appropriately sized 3-core cable, right? Not here!

Instead you take 2 separate 16A breakers, a 5-core cable, attach your two lives and two neutrals, and away you go. But isn't this horribly dangerous, because if you lose one of the neutrals, the hob will continue to work while sending 32A down the remaining one? Nope, because the neutrals in the hob aren't commoned, it's effectively two independent hobs in one.

It took me (a fake electrician) and my colleague (a real one), a lot of puzzling to figure that last bit out. Turns out it's a perfectly normal thing over here, called a "fornuisgroep" (hob circuit), and local electricians look at your weird when you question it!

Actually wait I misunderstood your description, this doesn't require a 3ph setup like I assumed it would.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 14, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Yjp0RmT3Q

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

My decade and a half old SUV weighs 1300kg and I guess now counts a small-medium car. The fuel efficiency is bad though.

yikes, my tiny Yaris weighs 1600kg, does between 4.6 - 4.9l / 100km though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

jabby posted:

A lot of the increases in efficiency in petrol and diesel engines in recent years have been eaten up by cars becoming heavier. It's partly understandable because heavier usually means more safety features, but it allows for more luxury features too.

I fully think once we move further towards electric cars and fuel consumption stops being an issue for buyers cars are going to get huge. Especially since everyone wants the largest battery pack possible even if they only use 20% of it.

They are gonna need to pro-actively legislate against that IMO.

Guavanaut posted:

I never liked this notation, because higher = worse. mpg bad too because you don't know if it's US or imperial notation, but what's wrong with km/L, you'd know how many L of fuel you'd need for a journey of a certain length without having to upend it?

I like it for the opposite reason, because more effective = smaller consumption = smaller nummber feels more logical to me.

I have never calculated how much fuel I need for a trip, I either just gas up for 20 (half tank) or 40 euros (full tank).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/lorry-driver-jailed-for-trying-to-smuggle-migrants-out-of-the-uk

quote:

Lorry driver jailed for trying to smuggle migrants out of the UK

Please make up your mind UK, do you want immigrants or not?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If sports was actually like this I might start caring.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jose posted:

great to see what twitter really though its majority user base wanted was for nazi's to be able to tweet offensive bannable stuff at people in a way that vanishes before they can get banned. jack really loves his nazis

https://twitter.com/TwitterComms/status/1328685679367294976?s=20

Someone has already started building a service that thrawls through and autosaves fleets for posterity.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Apparently my wife's office has a rule that no-one, ever, can take two consecutive weeks or more off as annual leave. How legal is that? I know employers generally hold the cards on when and how leave is taken, would be keen to know what posters who know more about it think

Not in the UK but even by your standards of workers rights, that sounds illegal. How the hell would I live without 4 weeks off in the summer. So I can actually get some work done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

andyf posted:

Was having a chat with the ol’ mother this morning and it got a touch political.

Now bearing in mind i’ve managed to successfully convince her that Brexit was not a good idea, and that Boris was fun on Have I Got News For You but is actually a pretty awful person and a poo poo politician and bad for the country, my latest challenge is that she thinks Corbyn is a nasty person who shouldn’t have been let back into Labour.

She almost exclusively watches BBC news with a smattering of Sky, and I’m very out of touch with Corbyn / Labour / anti-semitism, so what are the key points I need to bear in mind? My vague knowledge from reading here is that Corbyn became leader, saw their was problematic behaviour in the party, tried to deal with it, got sort of blocked for a couple of years but made some progress, but not enough for that report and his “failure” to reduce anti semitic behaviour to 0 was used to smear him all over the walls.

Basically looking for a brief / concise fact check as I’ve pretty much no faith in any news media these days.

Didn't the EHRC report basically exonerate Corbyn personally?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1331199609176256519

The writers of 2020 are setting up for one hell of a twist in 2021.

I'd love to have that. Free steel would be awesome, hopefully it's free machining stuff.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 24, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Never had a school uniform, but if we did implement it here it should be the uniform from Star Trek II movie. Because why not.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I see there was some trolling going on here. I would say ignore and move on, and for completness' sake, add this to your ublock filter list, if you got it. That will also remove the user is blocked message so their posts disappear completely.

code:
somethingawful.com##.ignored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Over here (FI) it's common to find ready made pie crust in the frozen section, folded up in brick form, sweet or savory depending on what you want.

I really wonder though why nobody in Finland has realized you can sell pie crust already pressed into an aluminium form like in the US and probably elsewhere... That's strangely absent. Personally I don't tihnk you save much time buying those bricks of ready made crust so I just make it from scratch most of the time. Now I could see myself buying ready made crust in forms since that would be a real time saver.