Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

OwlFancier posted:

It's not real until it kills you.

Not even then if you're Herman Cain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Stamp duty is suspended and there are a ton of available properties, so it's a really good time to buy. We're looking to buy our first place at the moment which is great, what is less great is that the sister in law can't afford a full half mortgagr which is limiting our search, what's even less good is that the wife has started looking at properties in Swindon.

I was originally looking to become a first time buyer due to the stamp duty changes, until I actually looked up stamp duty and turns out FTB don't pay it anyway on the properties in my price range.

You have my condolences on Swindon, my mum used to take me to her office there when i was sick at school so I could run messages about. The only other time I've been was to see Johnathan Pie live, so I have very negative feelings towards it. I might be moving to Enfield/Edmonton in the near future. I used to swear I'd never move to London, what has become of me (typically, I took the job here to stay close to an ex instead of moving up to Glasgow to be close to my dad's side of the family).

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

Installing a catform next to my desk was the best idea ever.

I just put in an offer on a flat partially because the owners had a chatty cat in there when I arrived.

It's made me miss my old cat, but I've never had to go through the early stages of cat ownership. How long does training them to use the litter box etc take? Do you keep your inside? I grew up in the middle of nowhere so we just used to let them roam free.

In other news my fudge arrived today!

Smells amazing! And the small but of apple pie I tried was simply divine!

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Thanks for catte advice everyone. I'm waiting for the agent to call me back and say my offer was declined so let it might be a way off anyway (all my optimism has left me since the GE)

Continuity RCP posted:

He made 40k on gofundme for this

The landlord or the person that wrecked the place?

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is this a first time buy? Are you using Help to Buy or Shared Ownership? I've saved quite a big deposit but found my options are still quite limited in London (where my job and family are) because of my salary. I started toward a shared ownership place in Ilford late last year but I don't know if that's still the best option, I think I'd rather take the Help to Buy loan, but the Ilford place was ideal, if it were Help to Buy the price would be in my affordability. Feeling under pressure as I need to move out before my dad does, and hes expecting an offer on this place any day now.

First time buy, I've been very fortunate in that I was able to live at home for quite a while to build up savings and had help from my folks.

I'm looking to just use savings for the deposit tbh. Shared ownership is still too much like renting for me, I want the piece of mind of just having a place of my own in the end. That does mean I mostly get sent the obsolute dreggs of the market but there are a few nice places too.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

My wife spent a time doing GDPR stuff for her employer, so I can assure you that such data is handled securely and with best practice. But I do almost literally have UKMT.xls, yes.

Well my offer just got accepted so I feel sorry for the poor schmuck who ends up renting my flat next.

Edit: not like I won't immediately be buying more fudge when I move though.

Pound_Coin posted:

If you have a look at the damage done and the manner/locations of it, I'm fairly certain these are infact the same person, everything that has been damaged is a removable fitting, all of the windows taken down and smashed with a single blow but not a single dent on the fridge oven or washer? paint splashes on the floor and skirting boards but never on the wall, one hole in a patchable door?

I've seen a lot of people saying this and quite honestly ...

Yeah it makes a lot of sense tbh.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

I’ve decided I can squeeze in one last cook before I move- I’ll be announcing on Monday, but one of the flavours will be PSF (pumpkin spice fudge) which is pretty close to chai in flavour. :)

Judging from the responses in this thread we might be able to achieve left unity via the power of your fudge!

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

You're good people Camrath.

And I've eaten far too much of your wonderful fudge today.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Zarah said she would celebrate the death of Blair and Bush but has subsequently retracted those statements which is a shame.

Other than that she's ace.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

forkboy84 posted:

Definitely. I haven't cut it out completely but after a spell of being very poor I went a long time without much, occasional glass of wine or whisky when I visited the folks. I was very much a binge drinker and it had gone hand in hand with my worse self-harm attempts.

Now I just don't buy vodka and mostly stick to whisky when I want to drink because a bottle at £35 to £40 is too expensive to want to not savour.

Lidl single malt is ~£18 and actually quite good.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but then it's an effort question. I have a Morrisons & Tesco on the way home, I have to go walk 30 minutes from the town centre to get to Lidl. Does Lidl do just the one malt or do they have a Speyside, Highland, Islay etc? Coz I like them all but sometimes you're in the mood for something that tastes like an ashtray & sometimes you want something almost like water (hyperbole but Dalwhinnie is really smooth).

Ok, i answered my own question, they have a malt from each of the major styles/regions, & their Islay is apparently a delight. So I guess maybe I should be less lazy & actually go to Lidl one of these days.

Yeah, fair, the flat I'm buying has a Lidl about ten minutes walk away, across a level crossing (I am super stocked about living near a level crossing) so my liver is going to hate me. I've had their Speyside and their Islay. I think they're both excellent, and probably taste better than a lot of mid range single malts. They also do pretty good 500ml bottles of beer for £1.09.

My Dad stopped drinking a while back but people keep buying him bottles so he's gonna offload them all on me next time I'm in Oxford.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Guavanaut posted:

If it's as bad as the others it's going to be conical hat and Mao suit.

I had a quick think about other UK figures they could add and they absolutely are going to have an Owen Jones and or an Ash Sarkar puppet and they're going to be loving dreadful.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

The Perfect Element posted:

I think literally no one other than Twitter users and Guardian readers know who either of those people are, so it would be pretty surprising if they have puppets.

I'm fairly sure twitter melts is going to be their target demo tbh.

josh04 posted:

An incredibly detailed puppet version of Zarah Sultana.

:hmmyes:

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Jose posted:

boomers are loving obsessed with the war they didn't experience

https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1305804479162441734?s=20

My Aunt used to date Robbie Coultrane and he still owes my Gran some money (well she's dead now so probably not anymore?).

That's my "adjacent to transphobe" story.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Keith's key note starting off with "we failed in December because we didn't listen".

EDIT: Oh god Ruth is still standing in shot, she's going to have to awkwardly walk off camera.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 22, 2020

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Perfect.

I don't think he's said anything at all yet except that he's angry.

Oh no, an extended metaphor about being shadow ministers. This is bad, send the script back to the editors.

Fake EDIT: "We deserved to lose the last election, for not listening to people"

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Guavanaut posted:

Good morning from normal country.

On the day that the leader does his big speech this is going to be the story isn't it. Good job Labour!

Desiderata posted:

It's really impressive when he was shadow Brexit secretary for that election and the very person pushing a second referendum.

Frustrating that there was no analysis of why Labour lost. What weren't we listening to the people on? Oh sorry you just meant to make people think of Corbyn and they'd fill in the blanks with whatever reason they already have. Got it.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

I guess if Labour really do go hard on "New Leadership, No Crobbins!" then it'll be more difficult to blame Corbyn when we lose in ... who the gently caress am I kidding ...

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

forkboy84 posted:

No you can't. A vote for Labour is merely letting brakepad lightly kiss the whatever part of a car the brakepad touches, the wheel I assume? It's not stopping anything, it's just slightly reducing the top speed.

The brake pad contacts the disk which is attached to the axle. Unless it's the back wheel in which case you may have a drum brake and the "pads" press outwards onto the drum.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Camrath all your fudgescapades got me in the mood to try making some toffees.

They came out ok, certainly nothing special but it was a fun way to spend an evening.

Certainly not going to stop getting far off your fudge though. You work magic with your fudge.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

Those look damned nice! I have yet to try toffees (partly because my teeth can’t really deal with them well after a childhood spent crunching gobstoppers and I refuse to make things I can’t eat myself) but if they’re suitably soft then..

That's very kind to say! It's really wierd some of them are really soft, but like bits of some of them are really crunchy. I think the brown sugar may have been to clumpy and so little bits caramelised together. I don't have a thermomiter so it was all guess work, but they're good enough for a bit of a sugary pick me up.

Camrath posted:

There is room for more than one candy maker in the UKMT- if my hobby-turned-business inspires others to do the same then that’s a net positive for the happiness level of this little community.

The Proletariat and the Chocolate Factory.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Monthly praise be to the glorious candy leader Camrath as my order arrived.

The beans are firmly up my backside.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 2, 2020

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Camrath posted:

Edit: okay, looks like I can potentially source the empty calendars. Watch this space, I guess!

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD!

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

A second staffer has quit because of Duffield, and she's not putted them on twitter. What is it about TERFing out that rots the brain so.

https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1316428332024635397?s=19

EDIT: gently caress ...

1225:
The Magna Carta is reaffirmed (for the third time) by Henry III of England, in return for issuing a property tax.

SpaceCommie fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 15, 2020

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

OwlFancier posted:

I zoomed in on the rosette and it is even more mysterious.

"Don't vote tobin let tobin vote"?

Apparenlty he lives in france and wants his vote back (also to extend the franchise to 16-17 year olds).

It always annoys me when people complain about Brits who decided to live abroad not being able to vote because they very rarely care about people who have moved here being able to vote.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Junior G-man posted:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1329147846298365953?s=20

Hope people ITT don't mind getting the pod reminder, and please let us know if you want to come on or think we're rubbish.

Listening to the pod walking through Lidl only to hear my surname come up! Godfrey Bewicke-Copley is my uncle, and ironically given the topic of the pod my mum is actually his older sister and his eldest kid is his daughter. Fortunately my Mum was helping out at the Edinburgh Festival and decided to take home the Glaswegian who'd just gotten his nose broken in a bar fight rather than some posh bloke.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just read some of the tweets about the name. To me, "Fin" is the sort of name the men in Mills & Boon novels would have had - arrogant, single, company executives who wear expensive suits and cufflinks.

I'm a Fin (Findlay) it's a good Scottish name. There are a lot of Finleys though. gently caress them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

SPACE!

To clarify I do not own cufflinks.

Guavanaut posted:

Up until at least very recently Facebook considered Fénian to be a slur worthy of being kicked off for, which created an awkward situation for an Irish friend who was named that by incredibly Republican parents, who otherwise went by Fin and ended up having to fax them ID and resented it massively for the obvious 'we need to see your ID' reasons that would apply there.

This is amazing.

forkboy84 posted:

Before people settled on my actual name of Cameron apparently Finlay was considered. Think I lucked out.

I was nearly called Fergus so happy to have dodged that bullet.