Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
In Dark Crusade at least, the Imperial Guard is probably the weakest faction, but it's still one of my favorite things to do to boot up the game, get a nice firing line of turrets, tanks, and heavy weapon teams set up backed by three artillery tanks, and let wave after wave of enemies get smashed to pieces against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So when you get to the later games, what is your stance on mods going to be? I know there are a couple really good ones for Soulstorm and Dark Crusade. Soulstorm has Ultimate Apocalypse, which is a massive overhaul that adds tons of new units and functionality to all the factions, plus entirely new factions, but only works in multiplayer or skirmish.

Dark Crusade has Titanium Wars, which is like a stripped down version of Ultimate Apocalypse. Still a lot of new units and some new functionality, plus a good bit of rebalancing to make the IG not pathetic and the Eldar not overpowering, plus it works in campaign which is always a good time.

EDIT: Now that I've finished the video, I see you already mentioned the mods. That'll learn me to post before catching up.

Also my favorite part of the ending cutscene of mission 1 is how they're like, "I sense you have a question. Please, ask!" "Okay, well is this thing true?" "*Gasp* How dare you ask that! Don't open your fool mouth again!" Dick move, Isador. The motherfucker wasn't even going to say anything until you told him to.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 15, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Since you talked about humans trying to do the best they can in the awful situation of the grimdark future in your latest video, I wanted to mention how I liked the interaction between the Space Marines and IG commanders in Dark Crusade. Since I doubt we'll be playing as either faction. I always really liked how you could genuinely tell that both these men really did not want to be fighting each other and genuinely tried their very hardest to talk the other one down whenever possible, but their respective duties compelled them to continue fighting. It was a nice touch to show that neither one was a monster, but they lived in a universe that makes monsters out of good men.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 15, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SoundwaveAU posted:

My absolute favourite part of that exchange is the Blood Ravens executing the Guard who join your side after you kill the Commisar in charge for being traitors. It's just pure Space Marine.

My favorite is this exchange when the IG is about to beat the marines:

"You're beaten. Spare your men and stand down."

"I'm not in the habit of ignoring the orders of my superiors."

"Then listen to my orders and stand down!"

Just the sheer loving balls on Alexander never fails to amuse me.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Of course, if either one of them had any ACTUAL brains, they'd suggest both contact their superiors, inform them of the conflicting orders of the two forces, and suggest those superiors contact each other to discuss the issue rather than just go "welp, our commanders gave us conflicting orders, and neither one of us is willing to disobey or question it, GUESS WE GOTTA KILL EACH OTHER".

I believe at this point, Kyras was already controlling the Blood Ravens. Alexander had contacted command and was following his orders from them. The bottom line is that the Blood Ravens were in the wrong, and knew they were in the wrong. A lot of their problems in Dawn of War 2 came from the rift they created with the IG in Dark Crusade.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I thought the issues came from the shitshow that was Soulstorm but what happened with Dark Crusade mad everything more complicated.

I'm definitely not the best person to talk about this (I barely played DoW2 or its expansions) and I'm not sure how much I should say due to spoilers. I seriously doubt we'll be playing as the Marines again in Dark Crusade or Soulstorm, but still a little worried I might say more than Roboky would have liked.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Yeah, I remember watching that opening cutscenes when I didn't really know anything about the same, and watching the big shouty man shooting at the Mad Max orks. Fell in love with the setting right away.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

cokerpilot posted:

I miss the days when the Tau were in fact legitimately good. I mean sure there we always some hints that something was off with the Ethereal Caste but other than that Tau were for the most part on the up and up. I liked how they played them up as hopelessly naive and optimistic and how well that contrasted against the rest of the setting. It didn't really mess anything up either because there was always this very clear undertone of one day they are going to learn how truly horrible the Galaxy they are in is, but until that day comes and maybe even after it they will strive to be the best they can be. They were almost certainly doomed to fail but honestly, I feel that just made for a better story. Like as Coolguy and RoboKy discuss in the most recent video some of the best storytelling in 40k is when you have genuinely good people doing their damndest to be the better person in this crapsack of universe they are stuck in. They often fail and frequently become jaded as time goes on but they never stop trying to do the right thing no matter how hard it is or how easy it to take the low road instead.

Funny enough, I don't recall where so if you ask for specifics you're going to get a shrug, but I do remember hearing that it was strongly hinted that there was a period of time during the 'dark age of technology' that humanity lived hand-in-hand with other species in a very huggy Star Trek style federation. And it was only after "things" happened that humanity shifted to a much more xenophobic footing.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

I love the 'bloody magpies' jokes that came about once people realized what the blood ravens having all the dawn of war 2 wargear implied about their relationships with other chapters.

Some of it was pretty legit hilarious, though. I'm pretty sure one of the high-level equipment pieces was supposed to be Custodes gear. How crazy do you have to be to hang onto an artifact that belonged to the Emperor's personal guard?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

My take was always that the Ravens were just spinning tales of complete bullshit about whatever fancy gear they had.

If that were the case, you'd think they would make more flattering ones. I remember one thing, the history of it basically amounted to, "We made this piece of equipment as a gift for the leader of the Space Wolves. They sent it back with a note that said 'GET hosed BLOOD RAVENS'."

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

I thought that was just a garden variety AI rebellion. I mean, NOW Chaos gets in all your circuitry so new technology is heresy. But Chaos was a lot quieter in the oldendays. The Warp was still a perilous hellscape of damnation, mind you, but you could safely navigate WITHOUT sacrificing a thousand psykers a minute to keep you oriented.

Aren't Guard companies 1,000 or 10,000 strong by law also. Of course it's a lot easier to train and equip guardsmen than Spice Marines.
And, you know, occasionally entire campaigns of the guard DO still fall to the ruinous powers. But, eh, details.

The men of iron war is pretty shrouded of mystery. All they've really said is that the scale of that conflict was stupidly massive even in a 40K context, with planet-devouring AI warmachines not uncommon.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

NewMars posted:

The thing about that is that dark age of technology stuff is completely insane and has been shown to hilariously outclass eldar stuff. Like one ship accidentally had it's AI reactivated and it was able to send an eldar ship several moments back in time just to make targeting easier before it eviscerated it. Overall the tech level of mankind at it's height seems to actually be somewhere between eldar and necron levels of bullshit.

Isn't one of the defenses in Sol a pre-fall space cannon that transports whatever it hits a few microseconds back in time, causing two versions of it to occupy the same point in space and annihilating both of them?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shyfted One posted:

Seeing this thread makes me want to replay DoW. Was going to start with the original, but I might as well just replay Dark Crusade for the 10th time. Never played Soulstorm, how was the campaign in that?

I've never played it, but I have watched an LP of it. My takeaway is that the nuts and bolts of gameplay is a mixed bag. They occasionally try and mix up the skirmish maps by giving you objectives other than 'kill the other guy' like take-and-hold or whatever, but in practice it's still easier to just murderize them. The map doesn't have any 'special regions' like the Hyperion Peaks, either. Instead, all the special abilities are shuffled into the strongholds, meaning each faction also gets one to start with. The Stronghold gimmicks never felt as interesting to me as the ones in Dark Crusade either, but that could just be because I wasn't the one playing them. At the same time though, none of them seemed to be murderously painful like the Dark Crusade Tau or Necron base.

I think someone in this thread mentioned that there was a mod for Soulstorm that made bases persist between attacks like they do in Dark Crusade. Donno what it is or where you'd get it though.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

my dad posted:

The real ultimate boss of Dark Crusade is the Eldar province guarding the way to the Eldar stronghold.

I just finished replaying Dark Crusade using the Titanium Wars mod. For all the things I love about that mod, the way it jacked up the difficulty of enemy strongholds made me want to punch someone sometimes. The Eldar, Necron and Tau bases were particularly rough, but special mention has to be made for the Space Marine base, where they gave the Marines two groups of artillery on ridges that were close enough to fire directly into your base at the very start of the game, but the ridges themselves could only be accessed by going around behind them, through massive defense groups.

After I sniped their artillery down it wasn't that hard, but loving hell, having 4 Whirlwind artillery tanks constantly shelling into my base from the first 10 seconds of gameplay was not fun.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Not going to lie when someone mentioned the mod that fixes the building persistence issue to be back to Dark Crusade style I popped my eyebrows and hope filled my soul. But on the playtesting side it is worth noting that Iron Lore, the ones behind the expansion, were in dire financial straits at the time and I think money ran out right as they got to releasing Soulstorm. QA might have suffered somewhat. They definitely shut down afterwards because they couldn't get any financial injections for any further projects.

Something someone told me a long time ago is that, if you found a problem in the game, then 99% chance that the QA found it too. Just because QA finds something doesn't mean the design team actually fixes it.

Don't blame QA for not finding it, blame project management and engineering for not fixing it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

You just know the day ol' Bjorn finally signs off there's gonna be a line-up of Space Wolves trying to saw their torsos off to get in that ride.

I bet they're like, on Bjorn #6 now, and the Chapter Master just doesn't have the heart to look into the other marines' puppy dog eyes and tell them Bjorn is dead, so they just convince the next guy to play along.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Also I was happy to see you using the 'attack ground' command on the artillery, even if it wasn't working due to bugs. Way too often I see people, especially IG players, not realizing that you can blind-fire artillery into the enemy's position with attack ground. It always feels nice in that Imperial Guard way, to find a heavily fortified enemy base, and set up your firing line just out of range of their turrets and then start lobbing artillery shells into the middle of their base until it either burns down or they come charging out of it into the teeth of your guns.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Well, I can confirm that the mod to play the Soulstorm campaign with Ultimate Apocalypse works. I can't say whether the persistent bases mod works though, because it also seems like the Normal AI in UA is much, much harder than the Hard difficultly in DC, and the enemy had built up an unstoppable army by the time I first found them on the map.

EDIT: Also can't confirm if bases persist between attacks because The Ultimate Apocalypse in Campaign mod CTDs whenever I win. Guess I'll try again with Titanium Wars sometime later.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 22, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

That, and enemies.

Okay, I can confirm that the Soulstorm campaign with Ultimate Apocalypse is pretty rad when the game doesn't crash after every mission.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
That reminds me. RoboKy, I tried replaying DoW and Winter Assault, and my screen resolution is hosed to the point where my minimap is completely screwed up and not displaying half of it in my screen. You don't seem to have that problem. What did you do to make the game work on electric computers?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The core gameplay loop of Soulstorm is still Dawn of War, so it's still going to be fun. I've been doing an IG playthrough with Ultimate Apocalypse and the persistent bases mod, and once I got the damned things to work, it's been good fun. Even things like the incredibly buggy air units are still funny enough to increase enjoyment. Use a couple mods to fix its problems and the core game is still great.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
They really do a lot in the in-engine cutscenes with just moving dolls around and good voice acting. I'm always really fond of this mission's intro.

"I must wonder if your actions on Cyrene have affected your judgement."

*Gabriel spins 180 degrees to face Tosh*

"Perhaps that was...a poor choice of words."

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I always did like the fact that, what we think of as 'normal Eldar' in the modern 40K universe, are actually the Eldar's Amish.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

White Coke posted:

I think that legally Inquisitors do have the power to command Space Marines and just about anyone other than maybe the High Lords of Terra, but like you said there's what's legal and what's possible. If an Inquisitor starts throwing their weight around they'll get killed and their death will be signed off on by another Inquisitor so it's all good and legal.

I think that trying to override the authority of a Brother-Captain would require Toth to actively accuse him of being a heretic, and Toth seems to be the more reasonable kind of Inquisitor who doesn't just jump straight to accusations without actual proof. Plus, even the most radical Inquisitor isn't going to jump on accusing a Space Marine of heresy without some firm ground to stand on. DoW really does seem like it wanted to show the Imperium as it runs with actual, reasonable people and not screaming madmen. In the same way Gabriel is an actual reasonable commander who tries to act thoughtfully, Toth is also kind of the 'reasonable Inquisitor' who is actively trying to do his job while causing as few problems as possible.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

IMJack posted:

I still wish for a proper Inquisition RPG, something more along the lines of Deus Ex or VtM Bloodlines rather than the Diablo-esque game that is Martyr.

I can definitely see an action-RPG where you see heresy in every corner, and then in the end it turns out literally every NPC really is a heretic and you weren't just paranoid.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Speaking of, Roboky, are you going to talk about the aforementioned 'science project'?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I thought that came later from issues created during the heresy. I know the Black Rage does at least.

To be fair, we've got historical records of a lot of first encounters between aliens and humanity from that time period, and I think in nearly 80% of cases it turns out those aliens probably want to eat humans, or do eat humans, or something far worse.

Again, there's also evidence from lost technology on Mars that humans once lived and worked side-by-side with a lot of other species.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
If you want the "True Dawn of War" experience, then spending over an hour combing the map hunting for those stupid loving cloaked Eldar buildings is a part of that.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
It is entirely possible to save those two guardsman who lead you to that Eldar camp. You just have to rush a big army army in ahead of them and kill everyone. If you do, they'll move up to that position and then just sort of hang out there reinforcing their squad. There's no real payoff for saving them, but I always make the effort to do it anyway.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Actually, I'm unclear on something. I know 40K lore is subject to changes and retcons, but they way I'd heard it, Eldar were a race that sort of existed naturally on their own in the shadow of the Old Ones, who were later sort of recruited into the war. I thought the Korks were the only race actually created as bioweapons for the war in heaven?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

To be fair, the Eldar in this mission didn't really do any of the typical Eldar things that piss everyone off other than 'exist'. None of the usually 'YOU ARE FOOLS FOR NOT SEEING WHAT WE HAVE WENT TO EXTENSIVE LENGTHS TO OBFUSCATE IF ONLY YOU WEREN'T BLIND SMUG SMUG PREEN PREEN OH NO I AM BEING FOLDED IN HALF BACKWARDS AND TURN INTO AN ELDAR HOOLAHOOP YOU PEOPLE ARE MONSTERS'.

In fact, the Big Name Eldar almost seems kind of... respectful and realistic about the enemy they are about to throw themselves at. She knows full well that this is a Terrible loving Idea and that hahaha good luck trying to get the drop on Space Marines.

I did think her one line here was pretty good. "You can never ambush a Space Marine, you can just confirm their suspicions."

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, that's the one thing that bugs me. If part of a squad gets trapped in a blob of stuff, or otherwise pathblocked, the one or two squadmates that aren't trapped will basically shut down - they'll move to their target area, but even if they're in attack move, they will not fire a single shot at anything until they re-unite with their squad. Which gets frustrating when trying to attack-move a large army into an enemy base.

There's no feeling quite like trying to move a couple tanks in front of your formation and realizing you have to clear a path through 5 squads, all of which are all tangled together.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Morand posted:

I also reinstalled just to play Dark Crusade and feel you on the pathfinding. Nothing like looking at why an attack stalled and realizing your relic unit is stuck behind something in your base.

It made me realize that I can’t play any races except space marines and Imperial Guard. I am awful with everything else.

That's funny, since in Dark Crusade at least, Imperial Guard are awful. Try the Necrons. They're so slow that even if your APM is in the single digits, you should be good. Just spam infantry and rush the monolith.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Morand posted:

Man I loving LOVE the guard though. I love how quickly you can swarm and grab poo poo and once you poo poo out some tanks and a baneblade can run over everything. Plus comissars are great. Immediate full morale for all squads and shooting faster? Yessir!

Well, I was probably more forceful than I meant to be. The IG isn't worthless as a faction, they're just the weakest faction. I mean someone has to be, and the weak early game combined with lack of anti-armor or melee options means the IG can struggle a lot until you make it into the late game and start pumping out their really nice armor.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
So you mentioned the 'Dawn of Eldar' jokes earlier, and a big part of where that came from is the Avatar of Khaine stuff. The buff to unit cap and production rates turns the Eldar into the most swarmy faction in the game. They get better at just sending waves of bodies at a problem than either the Orks or the Imperial Guard, and don't suffer any of the downsides of the big swarm-based faction. I really have no idea what the devs were thinking when they decided to give that to the Eldar of all factions.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Arban posted:

I just want to say that I love Sindri's voiceacting in this part. He somehow manages to be the smuggest, most condescending being in the entire level, despite it being full of Eldar.

There's basically two kinds of Chaos: The sly, smug mastermind guy, and the growling snarling 'I have severe sinus problems' guy.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Poil posted:

Sindri is the best voice in the entire game and no chaos lord or sorcerer ever reaches his level in the entire series. Honestly even Lord Bale is cooler than the rest of the chaos lords. Sure he snarls and probably goes through a lot of napkins but he sounds like he is just barely restraining himself from splattering your blood all over the room.

I liked Eliphas The Inheritor, too. He was the only Chaos Lord who also did the cool 'All according to plan' attitude, and showed that it doesn't always break down to 'Sorcerers are smug and intelligent, Chaos Lords are growly and dumb.'

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

I second this.

Edit: When are you going to replace all your troops with terminators and just a-move across the map?

It'd take about six hours real time for a Terminator to walk across a map. I thought we'd have to wait until we were playing the Necrons to get that 'a-move, make a sandwich, come back and see how the fight is going' gameplay.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

In the current setting they still kinda suck to live under (and some of them realize this) because they are 100% focused on the greater eternal warplan against Chaos,orks,tyranids and the like.

To be fair, 'Kind of sucks to live under' would still make for one of the better situations for 99% of the Imperium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Hive-Fleet Behemoth also did a number on it.

Tip: Don't name one of your planets Prandium. Latin for 'lunch.' :v:

"Mamma, why is our planet named 'Hapless Victims'?"

"They say the Emperor himself named our world after based on a vision he had."

"Oh. Oh...."

"Yeah. Let me show you the hard drugs I use to get through the day."