Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
When I first heard Dexter was coming back, I didn't even plan on watching it. I used to love it, and honestly I could say it was one of my favorite shows. It was never a great show by any means, but it had a pretty niche premise that kept me coming back even for the poorer seasons. And then the final season happened. It was so bad that it retroactively ruined everything good about the rest of the series.

Then I remembered all the hilarity that came from the old thread and here I am. Hatewatching the final season on here is honestly the only thing that made it bearable, because otherwise it was that bad combination of stupid and boring. SOA was another "quickly lost all its integrity" show I hatewatched on here, but at least its stupidity was mostly entertaining.

Gonna call it now, within the first three episodes everything will be reset mostly back to the status quo. Dexter will end up back in Miami and explain away his disappearance by saying he got caught in the Mother Hurricane, knocked out by a piece of flying debris, and then woke up wherever with no memory of how he got there, until a branch fell from a might oak and knocked the memories of his old life back into him. Actually, that will be what really happens, which will explain why we didn't get any narration in the last scene, since the head injury made him forget how to inner monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was halfway through your post, and thinking 'yeah, I remember you from the SoA threads', I think, and then bam, you go and mention that show, which I actively hate. Threads were great, show was awful (after season 2).

Anyway, welcome back!

Thanks! I wondered if I'd be seeing you around for this, and I'm glad to see you'll be along for the hatewatch too :) Still haven't got around to a lot of the shows you guys recommended at the end of the SOA thread unfortunately, kinda fell off of TV show watching for a bit, but I got back to it recently and hopefully I'll be able to knock a few of them off the list, especially The Leftovers. Speaking of SOA, did a Mayans thread ever get made? I watched the first episode awhile back and it seemed just as bad as some of the later episodes. Tons of gratuitous violence and racism. I only wish we had kept that thread alive long enough to see Sutter get fired.

On topic, I hope that this takes place entirely independent of Miami Metro. That way I can keep my stupid theory going that Hurricane Harry's Lover killed everyone but Angel. Anyone remember the theory that this whole time Dexter has been a Lumberjack and the show was all a story he's writing or something along those lines? It would be amazing if they just ran with that, and after Dexter's first kill he gets arrested and finally dies in the finale.

Either way I'm hoping for Dexter to die, and I'm hopeful about it since Philips is at the head again. Maybe Showtime will let him do the ending he wanted to do. I don't want this to go from limited series to full series, because my god, imagine how bad it would be if we were on season 15 right now.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Whoa what's this now?

Also, watch The Shield, if you haven't.

I have, waaay back in early 2015. The Shield is one of my top five favorite shows of all time :) Still haven't done a rewatch unfortunately.

Yeah man, Sutter got fired from the Mayans MC and from FX because there were so many complaints filed about the way he was acting on the set. He's not gonna have anything at all to do with season three and on (if it gets renewed past that), and I think I also read that means his idea about a prequel and sequel show for SOA has been nixed. As soon as I heard about it I hopped on here, but I couldn't find any Mayans MC thread, so we missed out on all the celebrating that could have been :( Haven't watched Mayans yet, aside from one episode, but I bet the quality of that show will improve without him there, if only slightly. Probably a lot less rape, double crossing and maybe less swearing. You wouldn't believe how nuts he went with finally being able to drop F-bombs. Actually, yeah, anyone who has heard or read an interview with him would.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

the big problem with dexter is that, thematically, it’s a story about a troubled man who keeps his own inner demons at bay by murdering people who have done bad things, but its own morality and tone doesn’t really hold him accountable.

a good writer and writing staff would explore the repercussions that being a murderer and a hypocrite has on dexter’s life and the consequences he faces as a result of being a serial killer, even a “good” one. where it fails is that the writing staff sees dexter as a hero and a good guy. i think one of the reasons that comparing breaking bad to dexter works so well (besides the fact that they aired in the same timeslot contemporaneously) is that breaking bad knows that it’s protagonist is a bad guy doing bad things and other characters treat him like he is, and the show frames him as a villain. dexter on the other hand revels in its pulpy adulation of dexter; usually, if he fucks up and breaks his code or his lifestyle gets disrupted, we get an episode or two dealing with the fallout and then the series shifts back to normal. back to the status quo it is.

there is a deep and profound lack of curiosity in dexter’s character, which i think works in the first few seasons as exploring dexter’s psychopathy, but ultimately peters out into a lack of depth. dexter is unmoored to the world around him, and he has no deeper obligations to the people around him, who suffer and/or are killed either directly or indirectly through his actions. he is never made to feel consequences for this in the long teem. dexter is just as big a monster as anyone who ends up on his table, but the series lets him off with just some minor inconveniences to his lifestyle. it still treats him as a hero and the suffering people around him as inconvenient rather than as victims.

it’s bad folks

Brilliant dissection.

One of my main issues with the show was how Dexter's killings that didn't fit his code were always brushed aside with a cop out, or just plain not addressed. Like in season three, when he kills that one guy in self defense and he spends an episode or two struggling with having killed an innocent man before oh wait it turns out he sold drugs to kids. He was a bad dude so it's cool. Then he ritualistically kills someone in season four and it turns out it was actually the dude's coworker or something behind the killing, but oh it turns out the guy beat women and was an rear end in a top hat so it's fine. Not the type of people Dexter kills usually, but they were bad, it's fine.

Then there was the time he beat someone to death in a gas station and the justification was just "Dexter's in mourning," and by the last season he killed a guy (played by Jim Beaver) just for being a dick, but that was fine because it was for Hannah Sue. Those last two times never got addressed again after their respective scenes ended. Just completely dropped any illusion of morality, and I can't decide if that or the cop out was worse, though I can say both were terrible.

The thing that really sucks about this is, you could have made an interesting story from any one of those. Make Dexter justify it by broadening his code after the fact and thus making the victim's disappearances more likely to be noticed, make him second guess himself about potential kills, make him do something to give some weight to these things. But they couldn't do any of that because they couldn't decide what Dexter was. Was he an antihero or just a straight up villain slaying hero? They went the laziest route, Dexter's a good guy who says what he does it bad, but all people he kills are explicitly awful with zero good qualities and who don't have any connections.

A plot I always thought would have been neat, though admittedly kinda schlocky, is if Dexter killed a dude for a murder he did years ago, only to find out afterwards the guy was actually a decent person otherwise and who he killed wasn't any different than some people Dexter have done in. Or have it turn out he has family (wife, kids, disabled sibling, old parent, whatever) who are dependent on him, so out of guilt Dexter tries to help them out in some ways without giving away who he is. Very soap opera like and predictable but they at least show some sort of consequence.

The only hint of this we ever got was when Dexter killed the priest in the first episode and afterwards we see his grieving wife reporting him missing, and that's that. Any other time he kills someone they're either a lone wolf or it turns out their families hated them because they were super abusive. Once again, failing to address consequence or just plain copping out.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Bolingbroke posted:

Did they ever explain what was up with Hannah murdering the former owner of the garden centre (Beverly Grey)? IIRC it started out ambiguous what motivated Hannah's murders and then it was slowly revealed that everyone she murdered either had it coming or there were mitigating circumstances, and so Hannah turns out to be ~a good serial killer just like Dexter~. But she murdered the totally innocent garden centre lady just to inherit her business? And it's never brought up again after the cliffhanger where Dexter figures it out? The show just forgets that Dexter's love interest murdered an innocent woman for money?

I had completely forgotten about that until you mentioned it, but I think it's mentioned in a throwaway line that it was supposed to be a mercy killing. Though given this show, it wouldn't surprise me if that's just something I made up in my mind to fill in a gap and they never actually said it.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Man, I REALLY can't wait to see your reaction to one of the storylines you've mentioned being unceremoniously dropped. I mean, a lot do, but that one is particularly egregious. You'll know the one.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Well, Clancy Brown has been cast as the villain.

I'm potentially legitimately excited.

Also there have been a few reports on MCH mentioning how much he didn't like the ending, but as with most people who only mention the ending and nothing else, holy poo poo, seasons 5-8 were terrible, each worse than the preceding one. :psyduck: How do you have a season like the Trinity killer and then almost all characters just lose their motivation afterwards?

When people like Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould mention that their writers really let the characters drive the story they're not kidding. In Dexter's case, it was Showtime's wallet that motivated that show to keep limping along. Otherwise, they'd have ended it with 5, maybe 6 seasons, and it'd be better remembered.

I feel like there are some Mr. Krabs jokes in the future. Especially if Dexter ends up killing him with a hammer. Someone can take the scene where he kills him and intercut it with when Dexter was smashing up crabs in the pilot.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

First season I was in it for the concept, and it was good. Second I was in because I wanted to see what happened next, and it was alright. Third I was almost tuned out but was still watching for loyalty I guess. Then the show fell into a pattern where they'd cast a prominent actor I liked, so I'd watch just for that. Season 4 was "Oh, I like John Lithgow, I'll watch it." and then it was a much better season. Season 5 was "Oh, I like Jonny Lee Miller and Peter Weller, I'll watch it." and it was much less good. Season 6 was "Oh, I like Edward James Olmos, I'll watch it." and it still somehow managed to suck.

I think this sums up how a lot of people watched the show, they came for the niche concept and stayed for good performances or at the very least, recognizable names with a lot of promise. That's probably a big part of why people were so forgiving despite the show's many flaws, which were always there but easy to ignore initially. I only really noticed them upon rewatching part of the show after it had ended. So, I know I've said this before, but once more: the last season retroactively ruined the entire show. After seeing that whole train wreck of a season, the bad parts seemed so much more prominent, where before they were easy to ignore or just chuckle at and move past. I think my rewatches usually ended a few episodes into season six (I actually kinda liked how it started, with the whole "killer of the week" thing, before the god awful main plot got going - it was dumb, but at least it was fun), so if I had to recommend to someone where to stop, I'd say the finale of four, or five I guess if you can stomach how meandering it gets. But really, aside from John Lithgow's amazing performance in four, the show doesn't have much more to offer past season two, so that also works as a stopping point.

That being said, I thought seasons one and two formed a pretty good story arc, which is why I'm cautiously optimistic about this since it's supposed to just be ten more episodes and nothing more past that. And hey, even if it does suck, at least I'll get some laughs from this thread.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

tk posted:

I am now extremely curious how many times you have watched the first five seasons of Dexter.

Actually watching? Just twice, one time being my initial watch and the other time being the rewatch a few months after the show ended to see if I could still enjoy that at least. But a couple of times in mid 2014 when I got tired of all my background noise stuff and didn't feel like watching something new, I put it on because it was the only familiar thing I hadn't worn out, and I usually don't like playing stuff I haven't seen just to fill the air. I didn't really watch it at that time so much as I tuned it out and very occasionally looked up from my computer to see what was going on, so calling those rewatches was a bit disingenuous on my part. But the fact that the last few seasons are so bad I couldn't even stand to have them on just to ignore them is probably an even better indicator of just how terrible they were.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So here's the first look at Dexter.

https://twitter.com/ardamayindhi/status/1364988292043739138

What do you guys wanna bet he's not even going by an alias. Or if he is it's something like Dexter Moran.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So, with all these promos, I'm under the strong impression Dexter isn't a killer anymore, and will get back to it as the show goes on. Why do I get the feeling that his return to killing will be marked with Ghost-Deb saying "Surprise motherfucker!"

Honestly, if there's really a possibility the show will be coming back past this one season, I kinda hope they do a soft reboot. Make it clear this is the same Dexter Morgan and that all of that stuff did happen, but don't even address it aside from the occasional wink to the audience when necessary. The last few years of the first run were so bad they ruined the rest of the show, and it's past the point of being salvageable. Just start all the way over. Yeah, it's lazy, but the further it gets away from that steaming garbage of a wrap up, the better.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

In the first promo with him looking out the window you can see a tied up guy in the reflection.

Yeah, when I first saw that I was under the assumption he'd have been killing all along. But then there's the one where he says "It's so good to get back to nature... My nature" and the most recent one where he's looking longingly at the knives. So, watching that first one again, he's looking out the window with a somber expression, then he turns to the victim and is smiling again. Like he's bummed/bored/whatever with his new life, and happy to be turning back to his old ways.

And I've officially spent more time thinking about this than the creative team spent thinking about anything in the last few seasons, because there's more to think about in three minutes of promos than there were in those thirty six episodes.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 3, 2021

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
It's either going to be a train wreck, in which case we have this hatewatch thread to make the experience enjoyable, or it'll actually be good. The show wasn't really all that good past the second season, but it was carried by some pretty great performances and the occasional piece of good writing until around the sixth season. Season 4 is the best example of this. The moments with Trinity were great, thanks in large part to Lithgow's incredible performance, but everything else was a big pile of "meh" at best. The original showrunner is coming back and the main antagonist is being played by the always great Clancy Brown, so this season has the potential to be on par with 4, at least.

Think I read recently there's a potential for the show to come back for more than one season. I dunno if that was legit, but if it does, I sincerely hope they handle whatever supporting cast they have better than the last one. I think the hardest thing to ignore in retrospect was how flat the secondary characters were, and how little development they received over the course of 90+ episodes.

Except Quair. Quair was always evolving.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Quair = Quinn's hair which was at times I think so distracting and vastly different between seasons that, at least on here, in the Dexter threads, it became a character of its own.

I would love to see the first mention of it, but I have no idea where that'd be.

In other words, the only character who really changed over the course of this loving show.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Edit: also, there is ZERO indication that this season will be worth a drat. Go back and watch the trailers for the last 4 seasons. They were great!

And then the show actually happened and they were varying levels of garbage.

This was pretty much my thought after finishing the trailer. I mean yeah it looks cool but dollars to donuts at least half of these exciting, adrenaline filled scenes will have been taken entirely out of context. This show isn't the only one that's ever done that but it practically made it an art. Remember a last season one where the trailer made it seem like Dexter was coming across his son's bloody body, and the trailer fully played that up... and then it turned out he was just covered in Popsicle juice and was laying on the floor because he was sick from eating too many. Seeing this trailer has me more excited for how great the thread will be, because my guess is they're gonna be waaay out of their element and we're gonna get some good laughs.

Put it to you this way, trailers for two serial killer shows I plan to watch came out yesterday, this and Chucky. I'm more genuinely excited about Chucky. By no means am I saying it will be high quality writing, it won't, but to me it looks like they're sticking to what they know and that it will be entertaining in the right way.

Also I'm now 90% convinced Dexter has quit killing since the series ended and we'll get like, 2-3 episodes of him struggling with the urge to kill some irredeemable rear end in a top hat of a character. Or he'll off someone by the end of the first episode and it'll be a very cheesy reference to the old one. Either way I feel like they're going full soft reboot which makes me think they're trying to jump start another run rather than give an actual decent ending.

Or option C (and this is a call back to the good old days right here),

asciidic posted:

It'd be great if they did this with never bringing up his past and Dexter not killing anymore, but kept making the previews to look like he might kill someone next episode, until the finale when you know he's going to kill the Big Bad (Paul Bunyan) but instead he just insults the guy with a sick burn and high-fives someone.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

In Dexter the police are explicitly morally just but incompetent. Which stands in contrast to real-life where Dexter would have to put many of his colleagues on the table.

Man I need someone to do a copagenda take on Dexter bad now.

I don't know why, but this reminded me of one of the dumbest things I've seen said in relation to this show. It was some edgy jackass saying "So... who would Dexter be more likely to kill? Old Testament God or Satan?" And it's like... who the hell sits around pondering poo poo like that about Dexter of all things?

Also, how long before Dexter gets his secret revealed and anyone close to him is just okay with it. I'm guessing about four episodes. Speaking of, I'm also gonna guess that the Clancy Brown bad guy will find out about his old identity and say "Hello, Dexter Morgan" and that'll be when we see the John Lithgow ghost. I'm calling it now. That seems like the sort of cheap move they'll make to invoke the time this show was actually decent.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

I guess, but there's actual character development there.

In Dexter's universe, people conveniently just die.

Honestly, this is one of the most disappointing things about the show. There were never repercussions or long lasting effects. The status quo would look like it was going to be changed for an episode or two before reverting back to how it was, or as close to it as it could be. Anytime it killed off a major character it would just be like they never existed. You can probably count the amount of times Rita and Doakes were mentioned after their deaths on one hand.

And I've bitched about it before but I'm just gonna say it again, one of the suckiest things about this show is how there was never any moral ambiguity in Dexter's victims. They were always lovely one note villains who had no loved ones and if they did treated them awful. You could have got some amazing plots out of the aftermath of some of Dexter's kills. He did kill some people who didn't fit his usual MO, but every single time, there'd be something that would make Dexter basically say "Oh, so it was okay I killed them then." And even that could've been a neat character development thing, to show that Dexter doesn't care who he kills as long as he scratches his itch, but it wasn't addressed that way; it was nothing more than the writers dusting their hands off and saying "Whelp, we solved that problem, I'm done for the day."

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Well no, not completely... He DOES want to kill anyone and everyone. But because of Harry's code, he filters his victims through that, does his research, and kills the ones that he has deemed deserving of it.

I give this show a mountain of poo poo because it deserves it, but Dexter's motives are actually pretty clear since day 1. Harry knew he was going to be a serial killer, so why not kill the worst people ever?

That's... that's like the whole point of the show.

Oh yeah I know, but I mean like it would have been neat if he killed someone that ended up not fitting his code and there was some sort of fallout or character development associated with it, instead of copping out and then just forgetting about it. There's one episode where he kills a man and it turns out some other dude was the real killer, and one episode later Dexter forgets about it by brushing it off as "Well, he was an rear end in a top hat so he deserved it." Which does reaffirm that he doesn't care about who he kills and his moral compass is only because of Harry, and could have lead to an interesting development where he stretches his definition of "deserves to be killed." Or better yet, have him kill the wrong guy or kill in self defense and not cop out by saying "well they were terrible anyways." Make the character face the reality he killed someone that didn't deserve it by any stretch of the code.

Davros1 posted:

Also, Dexter never seemed like the type to go "Well, I killed this guy, better see how the family is holding up!"

No, but in the first episode they show the wife of Dexter's victim from earlier in the episode coming to the police department to report him missing. Something like that could have been a situation where Dexter is forced to face the effects of his killings.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

In the books, his dark passenger literally ends up as an actual demon.

Doakes gets fully de-limbed, and also, I think, has his tongue cut out. :stare:

It ends up as a demon for one book and then they drop that poo poo like a hot potato. Rightly so. The books are pretty awful overall but that one was just too weird. Think it ends with Dexter shooting up a cult meeting to save Astor and Cody and then one of them stabs the leader to death.

Also Dexter's brother doesn't die and comes back around the fourth or fifth book. He saves Dexter from a cannibal cult by coming in guns blazing.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 31, 2021

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
And Dexter did it ANGRILY.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556220&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Here's the last one, been trying to find the Ikea monkey photo but no luck so far. I might have it in a folder on my old comp if I can't find it on here.

E: Here ya go, on page 17 of the above thread.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 31, 2021

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Lol I just remembered they decided in Season 8 that Matsuka should have some character resolution so it turns out the horn dog misgynist has a long lost daughter and learns that women are people through that.

That's the only way he could have possibly grown up, you see

And then the last we see of it is when she shows up to a crime scene stoned or some dumb poo poo like that.

I like to think that Hurricane Mother Chainsaw Death killed everyone but Angel.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Bolingbroke posted:

Dexter is connected to a ridiculous number of murders. Honestly the show makes a lot more sense if you conclude Matthews has known the entire time and lets Dexter get away with it because Miami PD is too incompetent to function

When the show was on I actually kinda wondered if this might be the case. In fact, when it was announced his actor was upped to main cast for the final season I felt sure something like this was coming, but then he ended up doing absolutely nothing of note. Pretty sure he did less that season than any other, except the one where he didn't appear at all... arguably.

I also felt sure The Brain Surgeon was going to turn out to be another killer of killers. Would have been neat to have Dexter run into that sort of character, then probably end up offing them because he doesn't want someone else muscling in on his preferred pool of victims. Might have been an interesting way to reinforce the idea he's not doing the killing for any sense of justice, but to satisfy a murderous urge and nothing else.

Unfortunately the show lost sight of that and pretty much painted Dexter as some kind of vigilante superhero. Like I said earlier, there were a couple of times he killed someone that didn't fit his code, on accident. The two I was referring to in particular are Miguel's brother, who he killed in self defense, and some dude who's coworker was the actual killer. We got an episode each where Dexter struggled with the idea of killing "an innocent man," but in both cases he later found out the guys were terrible people in other ways (I think the first sold drugs to kids and the second was a woman beater?) and as a result any potential emotional tension immediately dissipated and it was never brought up again.

Anyways, both could have lead to neat examples of Dexter broadening the definition of his "code," but in both cases them being bad in different ways was just a way for Dexter to move on from killing non murderers. It could have been some neat development, but in the end it reads as a cop out.

Also hey, remember when Dexter killed Hannah's dad and it was never mentioned again? Nah. Neither did the writers. That would have been another neat way to further things but nope, just plain forgot that one. Admittedly they portrayed him as an abusive rear end BEFORE Dexter killed him, but still another wasted opportunity that never got addressed again. That whole incident was nothing but a way to make a stand alone filler episode after Gay British Russian Mob Boss had to be killed off earlier than expected.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 1, 2021

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Let's not forget the fact that he killed Rita's ex, an rear end in a top hat for sure (so the audience doesn't give a gently caress) but not someone who had committed murder.

:bravo: showrunners.

Also, y'all remember Colin Hanks eating Cheerios?

I had completely forgotten about this. Didn't he knock him out and then make him OD on heroin? I seem to recall something like that.

Remember when Hanks found that Ice Truck Killer hand in that same scene? The one the Nerdy Intern had sent to Dexter, and was built up as him implying to be aware of Dexter's secret? Then yeah no turns out it he was just trying to gently caress with Dexter because he bad mouthed his game and it was a crazy coincidence.

The poo poo with the intern being built up and then turning into a nothing burger is definitely the SOA SPOILERS Lee Toric moment of this show.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So, spoiling Harrison appearing is really loving dumb, but what do you wanna bet it's just gonna be a brief dream sequence where Dexter imagines what life could have been like. They did something like that once in season 7, I think. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it again.

Also, now that its been confirmed Ghost Deb will probably be a regular thing, I'm gonna bet there will be tons of "clever" winks to the audience and references to the old run. I mean we've always known there will be, but now I'm betting they'll go way overboard with it like they did in season 8. So I'm guessing Ghost Trinity's episode will see Dexter going to, I dunno, Wyoming to kill some character from the old show with Ghost Trinity in tow, but then he realizes some kind of lesson he'll forget by the next episode and doesn't kill them, and on the way back to Iron Lake he picks Ghost Deb back up. Seems like a dumb enough thing for them to do.

Soap operas do this too. One month, a kid will be young, and the next, you've got Nick Newman at 30 years old on Y&R.

Ironic name for a show that did that so often.

I watched a LOT of The Young and the Restless with my grandmother growing up.

Remember how bad SOA was at keeping the timeline straight (among many, many other things)? In particular, Abel aging three years over the course of season 5-7, which was supposed to be a time span of 6 or 7 months at most. Not even just in the actor's appearance; Jax and others mention several times that Abel is 5 years old by the end. I liked to have the head canon that Jax forgot Abel's age because he's such a poo poo father and everyone just went along with the number he threw out under the assumption he'd know best. I miss hate watching that show :(

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 26, 2021

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

They used to do this all the time. In Season 3 when they gave up on flashbacks, they started having Ghost Dad appearances, but he'd only show up in Dexter's daydreams.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Ghost Dad dream sequences started, wasn't he accompanied by Dexter's mother several times? I had forgotten all about that til just now. And wasn't there one where his dream son killed dream Astor or something dumb like that?

Christ, this is gonna be gloriously awful and I can't wait.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The therapist is the personification of the writer’s room and they only started doing this plot line after Carpenter and Hall divorced in real life jus to have a laugh.

This, 100%. There's no way the writers weren't just loving around with them.

As great as that is, I think my favorite dropped plot has to be the nerd. I know we were discussing that a few pages back, but seriously, it's great. They spend half a season building toward something and it's just nerd rage in the end. Behind the scenes, it was actually supposed to end with the guy being a copycat killer who had caught onto Dexter, but apparently Hall (or at least I think it was him?) objected to the idea because he thought the notion of two serial killers working for one police department was "too unrealistic."

Like yeah, Miami is apparently filled to the brim with serial killers that have elaborate MOs and over a dozen victims each but nah, can't have two working under the noses of the world's most incompetent police department. That would just be silly.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

The Koshka Brotherhood storyline wraps up with the last remaining bad guy doing the "What are you going to do, shoot me?" to Quinn before getting shot by Quinn.

2 episodes before the season ends, so I dunno what's left for the last two. I remember LaGuerta gets it in the last one, guess they're just gonna mostly spin their wheels until then.

Isn't this when one of the dudes who killed Dexter's mom comes into the picture? Always thought it was dumb how they brushed off a plot they already did back in season 2 AND made it so that it was just a thing to get from point a to point b. It's like they were being especially proficient in their lack of originality. I mean, I guess in fairness to the writers (one of the only times you'll hear me say that about the Dexter writing crew), it was supposed to be Stevenson's character, but still.

Also, has it got to that point where Dexter thought this one dude was an arsonist serial killer just because he was an arson investigator and that's literally the only thing he had to go on? If I remember right his only other "evidence" was "He's looking at a burned body... and isn't disturbed!" even though I'm sure that's probably a regular part of that gig. It's like assuming somethings wrong with the plumber just because he isn't horrified by the smell of poo poo.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

codo27 posted:

There's an EW video on YouTube where MCH confirms Dexter hasn't been killing in the past 8 years. So make of that what you will

Oh nice, I actually called something. That hardly ever happens. Neat.

I forgot to mention the other day, but now that he's been shown in the trailer (which by the way, is it just me or was this was kinda meh overall?), I feel like we're gonna have a really dumbass twist with Harrison being a ghost too. But they won't reveal it for awhile, so we'll have a few episodes of father son bonding only for it to be revealed he was never really there, ala season six.

Or he'll die in a cheap attempt at emotional drama. I dunno, something dumb for sure though.

And I'm calling it now, Hannah will have abandoned him shortly after they got to Argentina.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I've been seeing that around but was hesitant to watch cause I thought it might be some nut job gushing about how great the show was throughout its entire run. Glad to hear I was wrong, I'll have to give it a listen.

He also does a 'how I would fix Dexter', and I'm bummed we didn't get THAT show.

One of my favorite things about this show is how nearly every seriously proposed fan idea I've heard would have been much better than what we ended up with. And I'm not saying the fans had better killer ideas or anything like that; the final few antagonists and concepts were fine on paper, it's just they were poorly handled. Most of the fans who want to fix those last few years know how the show should have ended and where the focus should have been, and that was on the fallout of Dexter's actions and, usually, his secret eventually being exposed. It serves as a reminder that the last few seasons could have been a good send off, but weren't because the writers lost track of what the show was. Dexter was not supposed to be a superhero taking out the trash with zero lasting consequence to any of his actions, but by god that's what happened.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

You really should watch it. It's essentially what all of us in the Dexter threads have always felt but it's cathartic to know that other people, aside from SA goons, are going to watch it and see/hear just how monumentally lovely (with some good moments) Dexter was, instead of somehow looking back on it fondly.

I really hope he does SoA. THAT show gets WAY more love than it ever deserved. "Oop! Another double cross, out by the same barn!"

Already working on it good buddy. I actually accidentally started from the moment he freaks out about Ghost Dad due to not realizing that was where the link posted started, and decided to just go from there and worked backwards a bit. His thoughts on how the writing team made Dexter into a superhero were especially resonant. Nice to know we're not the only sane ones.

Man, I don't do videos but I've been tempted to do something like this for YEARS with SOA. You know how much poo poo I've had to say about that over the years. Remember Ghost Pilot's recaps? I'd love to see that replicated, but in video form, for a wider audience because as you said, it's something that needs to have its bullshit pointed out, because SOA is basically FX's Dexter, in terms of starting off good and going to poo poo real quick but still somehow being so beloved. Course I'm sure Sutter would do whatever he could to get it taken down... and if that failed, probably remind everyone what a guttermouth piece of poo poo he is with a couple of trash talking tweets that are more disgusting than funny.

As a side note, did you ever get to watch the Mayans? I've only seen the first two seasons but it was surprisingly good. Not great, but good, and maybe it will become great since Sutter was fired for being a giant sack of garbage to people on set.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So on this thread's recommendation I watched the first season of Barry and... holy gently caress, this show is incredible. It's Dexter without painting its main as as some sort of superhero and without all the stupid loving copouts (and even the one thing you could kinda sorta maybe call a copout actually makes sense and, well, doesn't exactly solve everything). Most of the stuff Dexter tried to do even when it was good, this show did, and it did it waaay better over the course of just eight half hour episodes. It sucks there are only eight more episodes for the time being, so I'm torn between marathoning them as quickly as possible or spacing them out to prolong the experience. I could probably write paragraphs upon paragraphs about how much better than Dexter it is, but here's one example that immediately sprang to mind after finishing the first season.

You know how season two of Dexter had tons of tension surrounding Dexter's situation with Doakes, but it turned out okay because Doakes got offed by a third party and thus Dexter didn't have to make any sort of morally compromising decision whatsoever? Yeah, Barry has something like that in its closing minutes. Except Barry doesn't get some random act of god to get him out of this situation without getting his hands dirty. He had to handle it himself by making a decision that went against his principles and the new life he was trying to start. This comes right after he did another act of preservation that he really did not want to do, and we actually saw what an effect it had on him. So that's twice now its done the plot of the main character having to kill someone that didn't "fit the code," for lack of a better term. Both times it was done way better than Dexter, where I'm sure the events would have happened and been forgotten about or written away with a single line without any sort of depth.

Also, NoHo Hank is hilarious. My ONE complaint about the show is how we don't see enough of him.

In the meantime I also finished Mr Inbetween and caught up on Chucky, just to make sure Dexter is as disappointing as possible when it doesn't measure up to any of these shows. Not even the one with a cast of mostly teenagers based on a series of movies about a killer doll from the 80s. Bring it on Showtime, I'm ready.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Slamhound posted:

Title of episode 2: "Storm of gently caress." I guess we know when Deb is gonna show up.

What do you wanna bet the first episode ends with Dexter realizing there's a killer loose in Iron Lake, which causes his "dark passenger" to come back as Deb, and her first words on screen are "Surprise motherfucker." You could say it's a heavy handed wink to the audience, but I'd see it more as a nervous twitch, as if to say "H-h-hey, remember this stuff? Remember Deb? Doakes? PLEASE LIKE THIS!"

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I'm still not convinced that's really Harrison. It'll turn out to be some sort of conman that somehow found out Dexter's identity and is trying to use him somehow, or something equally ridiculous. Yeah, I know, it's pretty stupid, which is exactly why I'm expecting something like that. We're talking about the same show where Dexter killed someone in an airport and then a few episodes later offed a guy in a crowded shooting range. Oh, and where "He put spyware on my computer... so that means I can use it to spy on him, too!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah S4 wasn’t very good but the only reason it’s a debate is because the main villain carried the show on his back

I think it's a real testament to Lithgow's talents that his performance was able to convince people the rot started a whole season later than it really did. Trinity isn't even especially well written, all of the acclaim that season gets is on Lithgow's shoulders. Well, that and the shocking ending I suppose. But yeah without those two things that part of the show is season 5 tier at best.

Also I finally finished Barry, and holy gently caress season two's ending. Like I said when I first wrote about the show, there seem to be consequences to his victims that didn't fit his MO; the death of Moss wasn't just forgotten after the season ended, unlike Doakes. It was a huge part of the season and likely will be in the next one now that Fuches has told Gene it was Barry who killed her. Barry's lack of killing throughout the second season can be attributed entirely to Chris and Moss, because unlike the rest of his victims Barry can't justify them as "bad guys." Those two killings bothered him, and were the pivotal moments that made Barry get away from his nature, which made it all the more impactful when he closed out the season by going on a rampage because of Fuches' actions. And on that note, no Dexter villain holds a candle to Fuches; sure, he comes across as a goofball for a good chunk of the series, but look at how his actions affected Barry in the end. I can safely say I care more about these characters and their relationships after 8 hours (shorter than any season of Dexter) than I ever did about anyone in Dexter over the course of 96 one hour long episodes.

Three days until this two month long tire fire can start.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Saw the episode last night. The first 40 minutes were so loving boring, mostly because after ten minutes you could tell how it was gonna end. They could not have telegraphed it harder. I did enjoy the lack of an inner monologue though. The last ten or so were pretty alright, though I REALLY didn't like that they brought the inner monologues back. I knew it was coming but still, hated it.

Also, I thought it was stupid how Dexter took makeshift blood slide, then put it down saying he didn't need to take trophies anymore. Like... Dude, you didn't take trophies for two seasons. How is that a development, it already loving happened.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

roomtone posted:

dexter new blood, ep 1:
dexter has to personally deliver a gun to a coke party but uh oh the customer is busy loving the pastor's daughter better wait and hear about how he also murdered 5 people with a boat from his friend Dickface and then deliver the gun to this guy anyway even though he admits to being mega high right now

It would be so hilarious if it later turns out Dickface was just talking poo poo because he was jealous and angry with his buddy at that moment, and none of what he said was true. I realize the guy confessed on the table but that could be chalked up to saying whatever he thought Dexter wanted to hear, in an attempt to get out of the situation. Then we could get all of ten minutes of Dexter feeling bad about it before he justifies his actions because the guy was an rear end in a top hat, and that means he fits the code.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I feel the most logical outcome would be him being a conman or a ghost. So naturally, it's gonna turn out to really be Harrison who found Dexter through... I dunno. Google.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Really baffled people arguing over Dexter getting caught or not. lol, are you joking? that motherfucker needs to get fuckin killed right in the middle of one of his stupid fuckin monologues

No joke, this is actually how the books end.

Say what you will about the books, but they never lost sight of the fact that Dexter was extremely hosed up and not to be seen as a hero. The plots are pretty bizarre (namely the one where his dark passenger turns out to be a real thing) and they read more like scripts than they do books, but they were way more consistent than the TV series in that regard. Pretty sure Dexter even tortures people to death, as opposed to a quick stabbing. It's a shame they're so poorly done otherwise, because that was actually done pretty well for the most part.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
So apparently the reason Harrison was able to track down Dexter has leaked.

Hannah died of cancer and while cleaning up he found a letter Dexter had sent to her.

...Y'know what, sure. Fine, gently caress it, whatever. We've been making all kinds of jokes but somehow it turned out dumber than any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

JaddaCaddra posted:

So apparently the reason Harrison was able to track down Dexter has leaked.

Hannah died of cancer and while cleaning up he found a letter Dexter had sent to her.

...Y'know what, sure. Fine, gently caress it, whatever. We've been making all kinds of jokes but somehow it turned out dumber than any of them.

So, apparently, yeah this is 100% legit. It was in some podcast one of the writers does, and it will indeed be revealed in this next episode.

Just... amazing. Somehow the writers still found a way to out stupid our joke predictions.