Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
+1 person who just finished bingeing through the thread over the past week or so. hella dope.

i'm glad Pyrite-Personality commented on the weak stomach in the Heavenly Intervention b/c the extent to which the MC throws up as a reaction to anxiety is :dogstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i mean, who knows what those were. seems more Congregation-y unless bloodshop's into some weird poo poo

embrace-the-horrors-of-capitalism solution to the Congregation: now that MCD has an experimental cheeseburger magic spirit animal, they need a lot of meat / meaty spiritual essence, right? and we have Bleeder's soul which thus confers ownership rights to the Congregation, obviously, right?

can always sign a licensing agreement for them to.... cut the fat, as it were

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Celestrix is def a trap, but sometimes traps can be ~fun~. Any info in the Blue Book about Damned as a status effect?

Fireworks also seems like a really good "oh poo poo we're boned" button

Hard-agree about rethreader being top choice, though

All told my priority que would be

Rethreader > Celestrix > Fireworks > Apples > Booze > Lemons

based on how much $$$ we have

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
The Tyrant must walk.

Like, y'all. We are the Tyrant. We are the "you", the "I", the "we". All are parts of the whole. We've been walling off the Dark trying to fool ourselves into thinking we're only silver and mushroom and rose-gold forgetting all the while that we will protect what is ours.

Grond posted:

The thing is I believe both the Dark and Holy End events are happening inside a single copy of the game (that of the Player), but the Holy End side is normally hidden, hence why we only see glimpses of it (like what happened in Camp).

it's even weirder than that - remember that there's a whole-rear end other blue book for Holy that The Player doesn't seem to be aware of. They have no idea wtf's going on with the few glimpses of Holy they've seen

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 13, 2022

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i think the more we keep acting like the Dark is some kind of invader we need to keep suppressed rather than a part of ourself to be accepted as the very real aspect of ourselves it is the further we get from being able to act toward what we value

"what do we value" is a p. fair question right now tho. we've got goals (e.g., stay alive) but idk if we have a good idea of our values. probably the closest we have are, "we survive", "we protect those who are weaker from being preyed upon by those who are stronger", and "we are loyal to those who show us kindness". none of those are mutually exclusive with our Tyranny

like, who do we want to be? we answer that question and we can walk toward our goals through those values as the dark silver rose-gold spore-riddled human-ish person we are

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Regallion posted:

The place now called "The fortress of apples" had a whole bunch of reasonably-innocent employees AND we nearly murked merkja right there.

it was a hardcore MC&D blacksite so idk how many people were blithely showing up to work there

also - Merkja is not an innocent. she knew exactly what she was doing and seemed to do it with full acceptance that it could mean her death. poo poo, of all the characters she seems to be the one most aware that there's something more than The Dark End. it's plausible she did what she did because she knows she's our Mom, now, at least sometimes to some extent. i'm not super comfortable negating a choice she made out of duty to preserve others and (maybe) outright love/compassion for us by calling her an "innocent"

that's literally the kind of thing we're arguing for wrt accepting the Dark as part of us. moving forward with intent and a mind for what's important to us

having read through the thread p. recently, you won the argument about preserving life and approaching our enemies with as much compassion as possible months ago. it's literally why we're approaching the Walks to Monoliths the way we are. i... don't know if we succeeded in that especially well with Bleeder, but we did the best we could given the situation at hand. and that's the thing about values - it's about moving toward them more than succeeding at goals that crop up along the way

right here and right now is a conflict between what we value - preserving all life and protecting the weak from those who are stronger. i'm hoping there's a way to balance these values as we go, but i don't think eschewing the Dark is going to help with finding that balance. especially right now

edit: wait poo poo merkja might be grammy in Holy End i can't remember which but what i said stands either way lol

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 13, 2022

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Nea posted:

isn't merkja not mom, but Mom's Mom/grandma? It's been a minute.

ope; ya i think this is it

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Randalor posted:

Also, don't the Ogres in general revere the Darkness, which the Tyrant is made manifest? I don't want to necessarily kill Kaigan, if he backs down and let's the kobolds play at being shopkeeps, great.

That being said, gently caress MC&D and gently caress the Fae.

hey now the cats and The Duke are, technically, Fae IIRC

but otherwise 100% Kaigan *wants* a fight and, well, i can't say it better than

quote:

gently caress MC&D

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
:sickos:

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Black August posted:

How how how... you know. You know where the how is waiting. No suffocating this time. Inhale, as the darkness creeps out from the back of the black and blankets over you; we sigh as the crown descends, and I shiver with stomach-wrenching pains of anxious need.

YES

i really love the way you're incorporating tyranny as Will and Intent rather than pants-on-head evil btw

Regallion posted:

Great...great choice everyone, enjoy whatever happens to our kobold friends next.

Regallion posted:

ah, time to deliver that message and gently caress right off back to paprika.

Kinda hate that we did nothing to the MCD guy AND hurt kaigen, that's extremely not ideal even if we did help the kobolds.

ty i did. and, bruh, we successfully Did The Thing in the most Epic and Metal way possible while killing literally 0 people, causing 0 collateral damage, and, if anything, maybe nudging Kaigen toward a path of recognizing the greater strength to be found in accepting and moving through the weakness of grief instead of being eternally mired in a lost ~destiny~

like, real talk, what outcome would have made you happy, here?

Randalor posted:

Also, this goes to show that The Tyrant does reflect our actual concerns, and will sacrifice ourselves in a desperate gamble if it means saving the underdog. Good job Tyrant, you're not so bad after all.

ya. we are the Tyrant, we're all the the things. i know that earlier discussion was MC being an amalgam of different people. increasingly, i'm thinking that's not right.

it's all us. it's always been all us. we just haven't begun accepting it until recently

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
re: truck/not-cat tie: :sickos:

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Coming in late here but ya I was hoping for Maximum Scooter ("Catch A Riiiiide") from a pure numbers perspective

That said lmao cheezburgs as landmines will hopefully be awesome AF + getting all-in on that Vehemence for the IQ check

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

+1 :stare:

0% expected to literally manifest a burg shop. 100% thrilled it went down that way

i uh.... got nothing just waiting for the shoe to drop on turbo-silvermind

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
+1 Trust The Babe and GTFO if possible

it's been mentioned more than once that neither Doubler nor Moulder are remotely sane.... although i have some suspicions that Moulder is more sleeping/watching than full batshit which means Doubler could be More Complex as well

(sidenote: iirc she's Dancer's ambassador to Doubler's cult, not their girlfriend iirc)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Randalor posted:

Being honest with ourself and being humble enough to show weakness?

+1
was just coming here to say this lol
edit: like it's hella on brand with... the entire thematic arc of the story. mushrooms? lethal sentient parasite that was first suppressed, then used with tight control, then accepted as a part of ourselves and now giving back wholly unasked in a moment of need
poo poo, even the literal-bleeder-parasite might be on the same arc

and i didn't realize vote was hella closed on "how to approach treehouse" and voted cry for help so 0% sad we're gonna be singing our way in

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 12, 2022

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
we set out with the Intent to deliver that letter and by 8th lord we're gonna loving deliver that letter

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i mean i don't see us fighting her but it's interesting she's wielding a bit which is cursed to miss all/most of the time yet she nails a homer every time she's at-bat

i think it's good we're not really in a position to fight her lol

i'm betting that the gamer is seeing the narrative play out and is hitting "the right moves" to match it, but mostly in the sense of a kid w/ a controller that's not plugged in thinking they're kicking rear end while watching their older sib play. so idk if \we met, like, Holy End Shark Water (although that's a def. possibility too) so much as the game code wasn't able to properly interpret and display the event that happened

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
ba just starts posting google drive links of the .doc files for the posts

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
+1 to taking care of self in an apocalypse

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Black August posted:

(TYRANT MANIFEST) 20(-7) [1]+[3]+[5] = 9 - Success.

I SAID STOP.

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%]

I raise shield, and lower sword. Why? I oppose this. I should just kill them all while they stand stunned, secure my absolute safety! But no, no, that isn't- my intent is to keep a PROMISE. A promise I am strong enough to fulfill while satisfying Śmiercią, while walking to conquest! Isn't that real strength? To be able to decide what lives and what dies. So I look back at Pariah and scream, CUT IT OUT, I look over at the Backup and shout, STOP HURTING HIM, I stare at the growling wolves with exhaustion burning my eyes as I bawl, KNOCK IT OFF!

:bravo:

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Randalor posted:

Sky Alone Searching sounds like Hunter, which... may be the worst idea considering how our last encounter with her ended.

my bet's more on what's-her-face-storm-lord however

i'm *intrigued* by that last loading page

that page has *implications* and iirc hunter's the only one who's referred to us as "tyrant-child" so far

(to clarify: idk that the implications are *good* just *intriguing*)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

That was a hell of a segment

hard-agree; goddamn

missed the vote by a bit, probably woulda preferred Inevitable, but v. okay w/ molten veins too. i read Inevitable as also being a "Step. The. gently caress. DOWN." intimidation skill to stay out of a fight by flexing our Intent. similarly w/ upgrading Blade -- knock someone TF down and demand they stay down

i wanna like bubbleblood but we'd probs want to do some time developing our magery/IQ a bit more if we wanna make it (and burger magics! a little bit !ESP but IQ's just secondary there) more reliable. of course, given we've been steering p. hard into ST/WL/HT and less into IQ it'd be a very legit thing to just keep doing that

...but ya def get how that might not be something to feed too much more into. we've come a *drat* long way in accepting and integrating all the aspects of ourself but getting a turbo-charge from three of the most powerful predators in the world is a lot to integrate all at once. we've done a good job channeling our murderous intent/bloodlust through our broader Intent and values related to protection but... ya blood from 4 literally-king-poo poo werewolves is a lot lol

also: how long's it been since the last time we visited Kwiat? char sheet says 17 days rations but idk when that got updated last

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, holy poo poo, these recent updates have been hitting the horror end of things well. :stonk:

:pusheen:

ya i'm very much looking forward to having a chat w/ the duke again. hopefully he can hella help as an apex predator with *class*

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i really appreciated the sanity/clarity of the writing style immediately on waking -- it was like the style earlier from the thread before we started mutating into... whatever we are at this point. getting some more time with Sauber as a mentor for how to integrate our monstrous changes without fully succumbing to being A Monster would probs be dope

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

We should definitely take some Engine

ya like starts at the pd50 dose right let's goooooooo

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Black August posted:

That we're ready.

i'm so ready to feel real sad and/or horrified about having to make deeply unfortunate choices in trying to resolve this without merking Red

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
i'd put Voorish, Diamond, and cheezbergs ( :( ) up on the chopping block

Voorish i wouldn't mind using more... but we're just not going that direction as a character at this point

Diamond is iffy-helpful -- i think we should lean into accepting the reality of our anxiety and tyrrany rather than pretending it's not there only for it to blow up in our face at (most likely) the worst possible time

cheeseburger magic is no joke one of my fave things about this game, but we just aren't investing in the direction of it being more reliable. thinking back on the thread my impression is it's rocking the 50/50 success rate we've built for it and... well, it'd be nice to have something just a skosh more reliable

that said, i think if we just sliced off Voorish and Diamond we'd be in line for some nice poo poo, too

re: inventory stuff: i'd say keep boring and go for the deluxifier, suit armor, skip sammich, and chaos lunch. maybe the oiled chain with the intent of suitifying it and threading into the old/kadath suit

as a general thing: i think we might be downplaying how useful the kadath suit is due to the one failure we had with it. iirc it has a p. good chance of success given our solid WL

edit: now that i look again, could the oiled chain be worn under our suit? or over, whatever. cause uh.... ngl i think the corruption risk would be worth it in exchange for +6 goddam HT on top of everything else it does

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 6, 2022

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

so it's just a normal everyday southern californian suburb in the summer is what you're saying

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
how on earth did we not sell the zolty zuit

it's awful even from a rethreading perspective

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
ehhh. i think we're in a pretty good place right now as far as rest and recuperation goes. aside from our chibby sanctuary the apartment complex is about the safest and most welcoming place we've created for ourselves. what it has that the sanctuary *doesn't* is people -- and people who are p. cool with us, to boot

i agree that doing rager of a party wouldn't be a good idea, but having a chance to just be a person seems like a solid way to go for the evening. these people are the closest we have to friends outside the Dream World and Red/Blue themselves

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Arcanuse posted:

not because we need to or anything, but because suplexing a moloch is a goal worthy in its own right

moloch is bigger than a train, ya?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Regallion posted:

Remind me to avoid the dirty flesh guy at all costs.
Eden you however is interesting, i wonder how that works and if it's related to BoI's Eden

i read it as a pun of "eatin'" so uh

idk maybe encountering f l e s h would be a better way to go lol

edit: could also be a pun of 'even' like, "even you can be a ~~star~~" but either way the pun is strong(er than the already high level of most of the Backup names) with that one

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

taiyoko posted:

I'm just so aaaaaaaa at the fact that it would have been so easy to just finish off Burner, but they don't know Red is Burner, so they're happy at being able to rescue her. And crying in advance at the heartbreak they're going to feel when they finally find that out.

nah i'm 93% sure [____] is clear that Red = Burner = who we're Off To Monolith about. "...all you can think about isn't 'I need to kill her now and secure my safety'..."

like, that also just doesn't matter - our friend is hurt and we're in a position to help and our Intent to Protect What Is Ours and our desire to know that camp was real matters, in this moment, even more than Smierca

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
was hella torn between rethreader and regalia. voted regalia because +1 to what everyone else has said about sheer curiosity

also i legit teared up a little at this update A++++ excellent update S+ amazing counseling

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

+1

i think we're gonna want to keep ҉ and [!ER_INVALID] in mind as options more than we have recently. 「Tourmaline ▮▮▮ns」, too, for that matter. The Player's still thinking of this as a slay mission with "but it'll be worth the unique of having the Fifth Lord march to her own death" so a certain amount of game fuckery between them and us/[____] might be needed

edit: and it's worth pointing out that for ҉ we really need to *mean* it. i've been taking that as a sign of radical acceptance/forgiveness/love in the face of death and/or utter horror/despair/etc and with Burner/Red i think we really do mean those things

Dr_Gee fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 3, 2023

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
or we gained a loving awesome like our good demon bud who sold us the delux in the first place has always been on the up and up i see nothing wrong here

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

taiyoko posted:

:sbahj:

I wonder why the fact that the tyrant child can manipulate gravity is so unsettling to Yan'tir? Is this not the same power that Hunter uses? Is MC&D not aware of just how powerful the Lords are? Is gravity manipulation incredibly rare among the magic abilities? I think I remember there being other "oh poo poo" reactions to our use of gravity powers, at least.

maybe they aren't aware that d-21 is the actually-literal walking black hole that imploded the base

Yan'tir just got a real big hint

also BA: the third party view of [____] was chefkiss.gif; just perfect way of showing how much we've changed cause uh.... ya that just hadn't come through from the POV narrative (which is appropriate idk that we're really aware of how different we are at this point)

also x2: y'all are missing the biggest thing: red just connected the Holy and Hell Ends

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Randalor posted:

Oooooh okay. For some reason I thought those were from before the Lords became Lords.

that is also correct. like, as best i remember we don't know if like, this is a wholly different reality, a later time point where there was a sort of, idk, loop, or whatever. i just thought it was very interesting b/c whenever the tourmaline text box has shown up there's been a Heaven/Hell End mashup of some form or another and poo poo Gets Real (good, usually)

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
maybe but part of the fun of this thread is that there's an ambiguous element of co-creation. IIRC, way WAY back in the thread BA mentioned something about gleaning ideas from our discussion

i've really enjoyed the quasi roleplaying element of posting in the thread; makes it unique to anything i've been in here. the "wait do y'all remember when [thing]?" discussions are part of that and the ambiguity of *not* having a super-doc and just going on memory amplifies the fun of it for me. being wrong about something is part of the fun

if we spun up a meta thread/discord i think we'd risk losing a bunch of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Regallion posted:

Of course the suit is clicking, that's just a natural part of it, pay it no mind.

I am not entirely sure what the gently caress happened with the lightworld burner there, getting looped into herself, but uh.okay.

what is happening on that picture at the end. it's not anything good is it.

i mean i don't know for sure but uh

probably not gonna be great, no

unless it's iron saint related cause iirc she's also hella yellow