Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
A historical food channel I'm enjoying is Tasting History

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsaGKqPZnGp_7N80hcHySGQ

Charming host. His sense of humour is a bit cheesy but I enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

IIRC the Algonquin attitude when people ask about Pocahontas being re-adapted into stuff is something like "please... lease us alone, we're so tired..." Which wouldn't be great for Disney's optics when Moana's right over there with pretty close to the same plot and better public perception.

Moana's plot is extremely different to Pocahontas's plot. Like, extremely different.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Live action Hunchback should just be the stage musical version. It's really great.
e: extremely beaten, but it's true

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Samovar posted:

Tasting History also seems to be pretty good for this, although I always think the guy presenting it is the son of Peter Rosenthal from the the Onion's movie review.

Who dares say something negative about Max!

For real though he seems sweet and his videos are approachable and funny and informative. And he occasionally makes really dumb silly jokes. I appreciate him so much.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

egg tats posted:

https://youtu.be/Gg4WyuKM3xM

Mildred Thoughtslime is out here skateboarding, in public

like a hussy

(it's a p good video about adhd if you don't know much about adhd you should watch it! I'm newly diagnosed but this seems... p accurate)

I also am newly diagnosed and this video made me both happy and sad. Took 42 years to figure out what was wrong and it turns out it's not just that I'm lazy or weak-willed or don't care enough to remember things. Wheeee.

The number of times I was told "If it mattered to you, you would have remembered it".

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. I'll have to look into that.

Warning, comedy song if you're not into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJylMyfu9I

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ugh I didn't know that about Jill Bearup, that sucks. I've enjoyed her stuff before.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I enjoy having Quinton's long videos on. It's relaxing. He's funny, and the subject matter is ridiculous, shows I've never seen that are just totally absurd. I think it's okay to just not be the target audience for something like this. Not like I'm going to watch it in one stretch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hee https://hard-drive.net/man-keeps-starting-side-quests-while-whole-world-freaks-out-about-main-one/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm a little older than some of you, born in 1978, and there were no 'nerds' and 'not nerds' in my school experience either. My secondary school was all-girls, not sure if that made a huge difference, but honestly I doubt it. There were weird kids, but there was no hint of 'lol you like maths, you're not COOL'. Nobody was cool, we were awful teenagers.
Mind you I'm in the UK and I feel like this is pretty culture-specific maybe.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

as a colonial i can vouch for growing up with thin pancakes dressed with sugar and lemon juice as a height of decadence exceeded only by the viennetta.

gently caress yes. So delicious.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I just wish we had easier access to American biscuits here. Those ones you get in the little cans that go in the fridge and you get them out and bake them? I love them. I'm sure they're easy to make but I cannot emphasize my laziness enough.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Kim Justice posted:

I've never had an American biscuit, although I find it funny that the notion of "Biscuits and Gravy" over here can produce as much revulsion as Americans tend to feel about Beans on Toast. Probably because, I dunno, we think that it's dunking a McVities digestive into a jug of Bisto or something.

They're so *nice*. Just really comforting and tasty.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

?
You can do that pretty easy

You ever seen one of these, it's what it's for

what the gently caress is that, no, never seen one:)

Yeah, I just was feeling wistful about the time I made Thanksgiving dinner over there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's almost exactly R&G Are Dead to Hamlet. And it has a really earwormy song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76zyUFg3Xo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Violet_Sky is not American :)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

People don't seem mad though? Even the original poster who was grumbling about Linkara's review didn't seem *mad*. Just a bit excited to dump on something he didn't like, which is fair. I mean look at the thread we're in.

I'm a bit tired of people declaring that other people are angry when it just seemed like a conversation, albeit the kind where everyone's trying to sound witty and coming off like dickheads.

I'm not mad though. Please don't put on the forum that I got mad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Roth posted:

You seem mad right now imo

I asked you so nicely not to put it that I got mad and now you did. Now you did!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I've recently gotten into Jose and rather like his deep-dives into the history of old sitcoms. Are there any good recommendations with similar content? I suppose Pushing Up Roses scratches a similar itch, but I'm all caught up on her content.

Matt Baume covers similar content from an LGBTQ perspective. High quality stuff. And poparena is doing a full history of Nickelodeon show by show.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Solitair posted:

I looked up Henry Darger and he's not even a television show?

There is something so deeply admirable to me about how he took his life of lonely abuse and pain and turned it into this huge flowering of art and imagination. That doesn't have much to do with Teen Nick, I admit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have ADHD and I avoid gambling the same way I avoid alcohol. It's too good, it feels too good.

Instead I chase those feelings by being horrendously bad with money in other ways.

Loot boxes and gambling are in part an accessibility issue designed to attack people like me who are less able to exert impulse control.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

This... this is such a piece of poo poo. Like, I know there's a lot of time to fill on TV networks but this shouldn't have happened. And how unlikeable do you have to make a character that Scott Bakula can't save them?

Have you seen Star Trek Enterprise because loving hell his character in that is dreadful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Even Voyager which also spends great chunks of its time being Not Very Good has its moments, but Enterprise has so little going for it for ages until it was way too late.

I just gave up and watched every episode with Shran in it, and it's not bad like that, because Shran is hilarious. Kicks down the door to the episode all 'HEY WHAT KIND OF STUPID poo poo ARE YOU DOING NOW, LUCKY I WAS AROUND TO FIX IT' and then warps away giving no fucks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Surely ANYONE can sell good games. You have to be a really good publisher to sell the poo poo ones.

It's like how chucklefish still try to take credit for publishing Stardew Valley when they did basically nothing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Folk who liked the chao garden ought to take a peek at Wobbledogs. Trying to get winged dogs in that game is a nightmare. Cute though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

euroshopper posted:

i obviously don't like coffin (not collins) lol but if it seems like i was trying to be one of those "just asking questions haha" assholes than i apologize. ive dealt with some bigotry irl for being gender non-conforming and i don't want to appear like i'm perpetuating that. it's more of like coffin being type of person who would easily question the identity of others to score some post-left r/stupidpol points and then appears to use their own identity as a deflection

Probably best not to speculate about how 'genuine' anyone's gender identity is.

My best friend in the world has an abusive ex who transitioned after they broke up and the fact that the ex is a horrible loving woman who hurt my friend badly doesn't mean I get to misgender her. You know?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Piell posted:

The US military does not condone the killing of unarmed combatants. But this isn't real, so why should you care?

I really like this one

e: also all the lines are clearly aimed at Walker, not at the player, except maybe this one? Though Walker *is* having an interesting relationship with reality at that point

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I quite like watching videos of people listening to songs I like for the first time. I don't think it's virtuous, it's just kinda neat to see what folk think of it, if the people are smart and charismatic enough to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HKR posted:

I personally *hate* these, because it always feels like nerd music appreciators trying to seek validation of their tastes by having a "professional" musician listen to them. Every time I try and watch these I get flashbacks to pleading with my parents to let me play video games with sound and them screaming at me to turn that computer poo poo off.

Haha I guess