Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sydin posted:

Turns out AoT sucked, and that's fine, just embrace the parts that are good that you like and forget about the rest. Trust me, I invested like a decade into Bleach and had to come to this same conclusion to rationalize how much time I sunk into it.

Bleach was doomed the instant Ichigo and friends decided to team up with the authoritarian government right after fighting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also One Piece is doing the same stupid thing the other Big 3 shonen did where they're revealing Luffy's backstory and heritage sets him as actually super important to the setting and the nexus of several powerful groups.

It sucked with Naruto and Bleach and it's stupid as hell with Luffy too, even if it's not as bad (yet) as where they ended.

I mean that was established pretty early on, considering that Luffy's father is a wanted revolutionary leader, his grandpa was a vice admiral, and the whole D middle name thing.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes that's what I'm referring to. Not that's not 'pretty early on'. That's hundreds of chapters deep in.

Luffy's dad makes an appearance in chapter 100. Granted it isn't fully explained who he is in his initial appearance. The manga does make it pretty clear he is a big deal though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Left field question probably more for CD. Since Disney bought out FOX, is there anything made by FOX that was once easy to find now suddenly vanished since the buyout?

I remember reading about how for theatres that did screenings of Die Hard for Christmas for example, They suddenly could not do those screenings since Disney shut down the department that set those up.

CONTENT: May talks about Terry Gillium's Tideland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy6TK3njrRU

HBO had a deal with Fox before the merger and it won't expire until 2022, so it will probably be a bit before films start disappearing (assuming that happens).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Usopp is my favorite character in one piece besides luffy. I kinda wish they had stuck with his changed design for the time skip(big fatty) instead of Ripped Badass Usopp, though I don't entirely hate that design either.

I liked every crew members' pre-time skip design more than the new ones they got. I liked the simplicity of them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Are there any good youtube channels dedicated to showing off cool mods for games? Most of them seem to be focused on just a single game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

DanielCross posted:

On that note, wasn't it true for a while (and potentially still, but not sure) that voice gigs for anime very explicitly avoided hiring anyone associated with Abridging content?

The DBZ abridged people do voice acting for anime now. The more likely explanation is that most actors for abridged content aren't very good or in the right location.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Solar Tornado posted:

Hey guys. I'm new to this whole series. In which order should I romance the kingdoms if I want to get the whole story?

You have to go for the harem route and romance all 3 kingdoms at once to get the full story.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

It's also key to note that this one is nicknamed "Sword Dad" for a reason. His relationship to the heroine is very much a protective and caring father than anything untoward. The manga version even emphasizes this in a cute way by framing any shots that would be fanservice with her in ways where he blocks the viewer.

I liked Ascendance of a Bookworm until the story went into indentured servitude of children. Even if it's the protagonist doing the best she can for them in a lovely world, it's still her having child slaves which is gross. I'm not confident the story is going anywhere with it either because the protagonist doesn't seem to see it as wrong.

There's also a woman implied to be the victim of sexual assault and the "treatment" the story gives her is also putting her into indentured labor so "she doesn't have to think about it."

Ascendance of the bookworm is just one of the few works that is willing to acknowledge that a medieval fantasy world might have a different set of morals than modern society, that the protagonist isn't magically going to change the viewpoint of everybody, and even if she tries to force the issues, there are consequences she is unable to deal with. She doesn't have the funds to directly feed the kids. Even if she did, things would go right back to the terrible conditions they were before as soon as she leaves her position. Its taking the moral high ground versus reducing actual human suffering. I think the fact that it forces the protagonist to deal with such issues is what makes the story interesting.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Blood+ is one of those series that has a billion adaptations in various media, and I don't know why. They are all terrible.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sephyr posted:

What the actual hell. Isn't pointing guns at people who step half a foot into your property the holiest social rule of the US?
Warning shots are dumb and dangerous. If you aim and shoot at a person breaking into your house, you're likely to hit the target or at least not shoot a random bystander. When you shoot a bullet in the air, you have no idea where its going to end up. Its basically the same as putting on a blindfold and shooting in a random direction. Also, a warning shot is just as likely to escalate the situation then to defuse it.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 11, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Aside from Gene himself most of those really lovely TNG writers were not from the original show. They were all new garbage writers and directors for a new generation. Like the evil black people episode "Code of Honor" was made by a whole bunch of people who had never written or directed star trek before besides Gene Roddenberry.

The lady who wrote "Code of Honor" also went on to write a really racist episode of Stargate SG-1.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

At this point even takedowns of the Simpsons are boring. There are only so many ways you can say the Simpsons is a zombie show that lost all its edge and is stuck in a endless loop with nothing new to offer.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

There is one good tip, though:

Orks are an inherently harmful caricature of English football hooligans.

That's an insult to Orks.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dias posted:

It's a good show, Americans kinda underrate it for whatever reason (it can't be racism because it's popular in Brazil also!). The poor dude that played Chris had to ask Brazilians to stop commenting random translated quotes in all of his IG posts once, haha.

It aired on UPN, which had a line-up full of crappy sitcoms at the time, so even if it was good (I never watched it myself), people would just assume its like all the other sitcoms on the channel.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Friends should have been called N.A.K.A.M.A.S.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Speaking of watching people eat, I never liked them in the first place, but I was surprised to learn that Epic Meal Time is somehow still around. I figured they all would have all had heart attacks by now.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Youtube reccomended this pretty interesting video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgGEGFoggo. Channel seems to be updated pretty infrequently, but it looks like it has some cool stuff on it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

cugel posted:

There is a LP of Omikron: the Nomad Soul in Let's Play! right now.

Considering the track record of Omikron LPs actually being finished (There have been a ton of abandoned ones), its probably better to watch one that has already been finished. Supergreatfriend did one.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

Well, and a theme park and an upcoming game, but yea, the big thing is rowling just seems utterly incapable of recapturing the magic, even when she tries.

Then again, who were those movies even for? Adults who grew up with it or kids? They were too boring for kids but werent really engaging for adults, and most of what they 'added' to the universe was useless as best. like say what you will about the star wars prequels/sequels, they added cool stuff. there was an army of robots and a black jedi and a bunch of cool aliens and spaceships. that stuff is exciting to kids because its cool and to adults because its a ton of new context and Lore to think about if you're that hard into star wars. even if you hate the prequels you probably like some of the droid designs or a couple of the video games from that period or whatever.

what on earth did anyone get from fantastic beasts?

The first fantastic beasts at least had an alright subplot with the muggle guy, but the second one is a boring unwatchable slog with no good parts.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

The ephemeral nature of pop culture crazes intrigues me. You have certain entrenched properties that stick around for decades and span generations but then you have others that make a huge splash and immediately die off once the books finish or the movies end.

I think a property needs to have a continuous release of content for 5 years to a decade, without an oversaturation of content (either official content or derivative knock-offs) and without any major gently caress-ups. Its why most streaming shows that release all their episodes at once go down the memory hole. People talk about a season for a week at most, and then its promptly forgotten until the next season.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 9, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

Atrocity Guide (a channel similar to Down the Rabbit Hole) looks at the case of an indie game developer who in 2008 had what appeared to be a promising project that has still not seen a public release due (it seems) primarily to the developer's own narcissism and erratic behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A47maEySTdI

This guy posted on something awful once promoting his game, I dunno if the video mentions this. A bunch of goons were convinced he was a puppet master genius trolling the internet, when it was pretty clear he wasn't.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Fargle posted:

You and I have very different definitions of normal because, to me, hiding Bible quotes and poo poo in your indie horror series specifically marketed at kids in the hope of luring them into your church when they go googling for what the secret messages are is hosed up.

I haven't found any evidence that there are actually hidden bible quotes in the game. You'd figure there be a bajillion game theory youtube videos about it if there was. Sounds like something somebody made up because they are pissed that the the creator is a christian. Maybe, I'm missing something though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I didn't know Prey 2 was actually pretty much finished. Here is to hoping that it leaks someday.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats funny is apparently the new CADs are like decent and like weirdly good and woke and well meaning now. like he has a pretty good view of NB issues in one i think.

I checked up on CAD on a whim like a month ago. Being woke does not mean the comics are good, they are still just as horrible as they were before. The only thing that has changed is that they are talking about political issues.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I understand why guys like them and Retsupurae would rather not be associated with that kinda humor anymore especially with how vile and toxic the internet gaming community is and all, but man there truly were some absolute gems

The biggest problem with Retsupurae is that it was just them making the same jokes over and over again about the low production quality of LPs.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm just confused about why Jim Sterling's videos are the ones that stood out in the crowd. I'm assuming they got exclusive access to some information, and that was what led to their channel blowing up in popularity. They've always come across as a creepy weirdo, and I think that was by deliberate design on their part with the whole carnie thing they were going for.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Movie Bob isn't even worth paying attention to. They are just another random idiot on the internet.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Isn't the majority of world building largely pointless? Nerds latch on to world building the same way they do magic systems, because they love the pointless pedantry which is why back when we had the TVTropes threads every aspiring troper author would always write pages and pages about their world building and video gamey magic systems but not a single one would have gently caress all about narrative, character or plot structure.

World building is important too. If you don't do that, you get a setting that feels like it only exists for the main characters, and detracts from the narrative. At that point, the story might as well just be set in the real world. Granted an author can obviously go too far. It also provides interesting plot opportunities.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

Since people are clamouring for video essays, here's one that would be a bit of a niche for many people.

Looking at New Zealand's World Test Championship win in the context of the history of New Zealand cricket, and the countless hardships and heartbreaks they've had to endure until they finally reached the pinnacle of the 5-day format of the game (which was won on the 6th day), when they beat India in England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0KBSeo4j48

A 5-day format? I'm convinced Cricket is an elaborate prank set up by the few countries who allegedly play it, and everybody has a good laugh when a foreigner tries to get into it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

The original complaint against Lindsay was from an Asian writer who was pointing out how she has a hard time getting work because people synthesize everything into being avatar like. The fact that she never actually brought that subject up or maybe you just missed it tells me this is all coming from a dishonest/uninformed view.

I think it turned out that person was actually advertising their self-published books as being like Avatar.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

SteelMentor posted:

I loving hate this kind of translation culture war weeb. As shown in the thread, they have no loving clue what they're talking about and the galling amount of racism they shart out is... incredible.

See also: the screaming earlier in the year over the Nagatoro subs using the word sus.

The most annoying thing about them is that you can't say a translation made a dumb choice without a brigade of people assuming you're one of those people, and you're secretly Hitler for having the audacity to disagree with a translator over a line. Yes, there are lovely people who don't know what they are talking about, and take things way too far but that also shouldn't mean criticizing a translation should always blow up into a huge culture war. At the end of day, its such a minor issue unless a person starts making personal attacks or saying something racist. Its also even legitimate in certain scenarios for non-professional translators to have an opinion because they still presumably know how to speak English.

I'm talking in general, I don't care about the "sus" translation either way. I've just noticed a lot of scenarios recently where a few lovely people have a bad and lovely opinion about a translation, and suddenly the way a line is translated is turned into a huge moral issue. Granted its usually the lovely person who is trying to turn it into a moral issue, but that doesn't mean it actually is.

Just to be clear, gently caress those people who are attacking translators or saying racist stuff.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I still think the absolute worst episode and one that sums up most of Doctor Who's problems is the one they decided it was a good idea for the Doctor to protect Hitler from being punished for his crimes. This is NOT because it would gently caress with the timeline, the episode goes out of its way to clearly establish that the timeline would not be effected, and it never comes up as the motive for the Doctor doing so. The episode might have worked for a fictional character, because its established that Hitler would be tortured. However, the writers deliberately chose to have a storyline where the Doctor saves Hitler and acts self-righteous about it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm just curious why they still have disc hard drives as the default in 2021. Trying to trick people who don't know better? keep down costs for businesses? From the sound of things its not a cheap low-end model.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTBU5QJJWM

In order to take this sweet children's story about an island that preserved steam locomotion for decades and turn it into... this.

somebody made this too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=462KBuAhncU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think that Channel Awesome specifically had problems because it was full of people copying a guy whose main gimmick was being mad at video games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Also, if you release it all once, you don't need to worry about something coming up and there being a huge delay between the parts.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

It's kind of annoying that criticism of the Netflix Masters of the Universe gets lumped in with the chud culture war garbage because it just isn't very good.

I think its something that companies are deliberating doing now. Make a bad movie/tv show/whatever and emphasize how woke it is. lovely and dumb people will take the bait, and suddenly anybody who criticizes the media is a horrible human being. You even get people saying its good out of spite.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

...no I don't think people get together and say "haha we're going to make a bad cartoon on purpose lol", sorry

well except for xavier renegade angel but that's why it was cool

No, I don't think its made bad on purpose. I think its just how the product ends up turning out to be in the end. Its just a good way to counter bad reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean I don’t think it’s especially unlikely that the producers looked at the dailies/test screenings, realized the movie was gonna be kind of poo poo, and decided to amp up the existing culture war brush fires via twitter sockpuppetry to try and maybe get some more money back by riling up the consumption-as-activism crowd, but it’s kind of ridiculous to think that was the plan from the start

Nobody is saying that in this thread though? Its all part of the marketing strategy, and doesn't really have much to do with the production of a film.