Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Triangle lady breathing a sigh of relief only for a second plane to hit the pyramid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403eGkWv4MA

https://i.imgur.com/1NPcyTu.gifv

I'm kidding, I hope they don't stop lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ok Comboomer posted:

Somerton doesn't care, he actually doesn't know who Neil Gaiman is and hasn't read any of his works

(but that would loving shatter me, way moreso than any of the professional or financial/legal fallout. It'd be like being cast in a background role in a Scorsese movie and then being being personally fired by the director on set)

He also got called out by Two Time Hugo Nominee Dr Chuck Tingle and then Gaiman also reblogged Tingle's post. It takes a certain level of shitbaggery to get called out by those two at the same time, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you must understand that james rolfe isnt a gamer and doesnt really like video games all that much unless its something he grew up playing. if you have him talking about a game he played in his childhood he can be enthusiastic but if its something from the sixth generation onwards he's not to going to give a poo poo because its something he doesnt care about. his real passion is film and film making but the avgn pays the bills so he's stuck doing it. its a similar situation to the nostalgia critic only james rolfe appears to be a more down to earth family man who wants to support his family anyway he can compared to doug walkers narcissism and lack of self awareness and inability to do anything else but the nostalgia critic because of a lack of talent and burning of bridges

I used to watch a bunch of tabletop wargaming terrain tutorial channels on Youtube including this Rich Evans lookalike UK guy Terrain Made Easy. He ran the channel for years and years and posted dozens and dozens of videos and had a small Patreon following then one day out of the blue he quit, leaving a farewell video where he explained that he didn't actually enjoy making terrain and he just sort of got stuck making those videos for a significant chunk of his life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrCUYbf0wA8

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Halibut Barn posted:

There's already been a case where a professor accused a bunch of students after he plugged their papers into ChatGPT and asked "was this plagiarized?" and it incorrectly told him "oh yeah, that's totally plagiarism."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/chatgpt-dupes-professor-trying-to-catch-ai-plagiarism/

Someone might be able to come up with a better LLM aimed specifically at plagiarism detection, rather than a general-purpose one like the GPTs, but that's niche enough that I'm sure it'd be a closed, paid service.

ChatGPT has been giving completely wrong answers more and more frequently, to the point where people have started writing articles and papers analyzing the issues driving this.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's been noticed that generative AI is gradually getting worse over time and the quality of results is degenerating, most likely because the databases they're pulling data from are slowly accumulating higher percentages of AI created content so there's a feedback loop of all the old lovely AI outputs contributing to the creation of even shittier AI outputs down the line. This doesn't just effect art but also AI's ability to 'solve' math problems, write workable code, etc etc which are also degrading over time.
Here's a paper about it if anyone wants to dive into it a little deeper: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/gena...ofile_like_view

There's also growing collectives who are creating "AI data poisoning tools" which deliberately screw up AI databases so that they spit out 'wrong' results. Data poisoning has always been a known issue in AI circles and there's a bunch of ways they avoid it happening so there's a tech war between the AI corporations and the artists trying to poison the machines.
Here's an article: https://www.technologyreview.com/2023/10/23/1082189/data-poisoning-artists-fight-generative-ai/

fun hater posted:

what would be the incentive for youtube to host mass uploaded ai generated unmarketable hateful content repulsive to advertisers. why would that happen. we know why its happening on twitter: musk has written himself into a uniquely stupid position lol. and its biting him in the rear end hard. do you think google will be sole owned by a single megalomaniac and a skeleton crew. how

If someone ever figures out the chud equivalent of the Baby Shark Song then we're really gonna see some poo poo

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

https://magz.tumblr.com/post/702915369393881088/edit-stop-send-ask-and-tag-say-he-native-magz

Apparently he was one of the originators of the Boogaloo Boys and brags that a lot of their defining features came from him (the Hawaiian shirts, etc) but he also claims he left pretty early when it started getting heavy. Apparently he's also a Kyle Rittenhouse fan and a 4channer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If people like cryptozoological YT then I can strongly recommend British Cryptids 1974 which produces videos about fake cryptids in the style of 1970s documentaries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOMBySVKkU

Ok Comboomer posted:

he doesn't strike me as very smart, tbh, like he has nothing at all interesting to say about various cryptids or the mythology or context behind them or their purported biology or how reasonable their existence in a given ecosystem would be, nothing.

Just like "I like mothman, mothman looks like this and I think that's creepy and cool" "I think the coelacanth counts as a cryptid because people only knew it from fossils until they found one, and that's different from the thyla--tasmanian tiger because the last one of those died in a zoo and they used to be everywhere until people killed them all and thats boring" "I think megalodon is a cryptid because the ocean is big"

Like, I used to teach middle school and the classrooms would have a 'Book Nook" in the corner full of various books that the kids could borrow to read during silent reading period, or take home, etc, and every Wendigoon video just strikes me like he grabbed a Scholastic book written for 5th graders and is using that + the introductory paragraph of a wikipedia page to do all of his sourcing

Yeah that was the laziest poo poo which had the scantest, shallowest research behind it. He didn't even come up with the cryptid list which was the entire basis of the video series, he found it on Reddit
Also he said dumb poo poo like "The yeti is just a foreign ripoff of bigfoot" when the newspaper reports about the abominable snowman predate bigfoot stories by more than 50 years, that's real basic cryptozoology stuff

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lady Radia posted:

you can hate wendigoon or not like his content or think he’s dumb or whatever without trying to find evidence he’s a chud. jfc

The fact that he was a founding member of the Boogaloo Boys is a gigantic red flag. Their entire deal is agitating to kick off the next US civil war (the Boogaloo) and members have murdered several people, were involved in the plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer, were pretty central to the January 6 attack on the Capitol, etc etc.. Even though he left early on he's probably still being monitored by the Department of Homeland Security.

On the other hand, given that he was a big 4channer and seems to be extremely irony poisoned and terminally online on top of being dumb as hell I could totally believe that he might help start up a militia whose aim was to help start the next civil war and bring down the government "for the kek" but quickly became disillusioned when the movement started attracting people who took it seriously

Crain posted:

Dude also runs a tidy little business charging ghost and paranormal hunters thousands of dollars a pop to "investigate" the ranch and poo poo.

Hell, if I ended up with a property "known" to be a "paranormal hotspot" I'd do the same thing. Minus the chuddery and racism.

I saw a video recently where someone stayed overnight at the Stanley Hotel which is one of those places that every single ghosthunting TV show and Youtube channel has spotlighted and went on one of their ghost tours and pointed out that staff members will secretly follow the tour and make spooky noises and tap on windows
E: it was Danny Gonzalez

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
By the way if anyone is interested in cryptozoology and conspiracies we have a discussion thread in PYF where we share lots of videos and news articles and hunt down original sources

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Garrand posted:

Assuming this isn't actually from the video as it's just too stupid, but while bored and trawling through a twitter search for "somerton" I found some peter coffin fans/viewers trying to spin a conspiracy about how HBomb's taking down of Somerton was ordered from Nebula execs because they were...jealous I guess of Somerton's crowdfunding of the movie studio thing and wanted to take out 'competition'.

People on Coffin's Discord cooked up a conspiracy theory and then Coffin signalboosted it:

Here's the conspiracy post: https://amitriptyline.substack.com/p/nebula-and-james-somerton

quote:

[intro snip]

I want to put forward a theory of how this unfolded.

Approximately a year ago, Hbomberguy’s began working on a video about plagiarism on and off, along with the large number of other videos he had been working on. This was a personal peeve of his. During his research, he discovered that James Somerton was plagiarizing content, and decided to dive deep on him.

Hbomb did not talk to Somerton about this, or bring the evidence to him - maybe because he did not have any channels to speak directly to him with. But, he did have channels to talk with his fellow creators on Nebula.

Now, this is pure theory from here on out, but I suspect he talked to his colleagues at Nebula, and among them many queer creators like Jessie Gender, PhilosophyTube, and Hbomb himself decided not to bring it up with the public at that time. Somerton was an openly gay creator and they did not want to start a controversy with him. Rather, they decided to remain quiet and not mention in, but would keep the evidence in their pocket in case it was ever relevant. My real only evidence for this is that Hbomberguy has a history of changing sides where they wind blew when it came to minority content creators so he would always stay on the “right side” of the cancel mob.

When Nebula announced their own studio doing literally the exact same thing as Somerton, I suspect that Nebula's bosses (including the board at Curiosity Stream, the sister company which includes a USAID member) Sent the orders down. They told their creators "Hey, we're launching our queer film studio. We cannot have competition for this. Kill Somerton’s company."

And so they all went and make a coordinated strike to ruin Somerton’s studio and career. They launched a multi-prong attack to ensure something sticks. They main angle is to use the plagiarism accusation to crush him. With Hbomb as the vanguard, and with PhilosophyTube and the crew making followup videos about YouTube plagiarism right after in wave after wave to turn the entire internet conversation to plagiarism.

Hbomb’s producer then went on Reddit to further drive the conversation. Encouraging people to go out and find other “baddies" to find and generate tons and tons of engagement.

My theory was for the first several days that Hbomb was merely trying to get clout by attacking other creators. However, given the HUGE push for Nebula’s advertising, it’s clear that it's not JUST a "get the baddies" cancel wave for clout. Rather, it's more like an ARG to shape the whole conversation toward promoting Nebula's new queer content shows.

Everyone is encouraged to post queer creators they like, to attack the baddies, and it’s all a big game. In fact a pregame before Nebula releases their videos

Of course, if it didn't work, they had Todd in the Shadows as their backup plan to destroy Somerton on moral outrage issues by turning him from a queer creator to a cis white male transphobic misogynist.

Well, it did work. Somerton’s studio is dissolved. His videos are private, his Patreon’s canceled.

This might seem like a big conspiracy theory - well it is, a conspiracy of a bunch of YouTubers who have been known to conspire. It is not at all beyond the grasp of big studio executives to create an idea like this and tell others to put it into place. Let alone a studio controlled by a member who works for an agency centered entirely around using economics to control entire countries. And there are still people out there that say Breadtube doesn’t serve imperialism.

It is just a theory, but it’s worth exploring.

Stay turned for a future post on how turning regular people into internet cops is harmful to all online discourse. Thanks to everyone on Peter Coffin’s discord for helping me put these ideas together.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grassy Knowles posted:

My conspiracy theory: people who were plagiarized by a hateful moron talked to each other.

Performing research is a conspiracy

Oh my god, how deep does this rabbit hole go????? :tinfoil:

The central pole of their conspiracy of "Nebula's bosses told their creators "We cannot have competition for this. Kill Somerton’s company"" doesn't make a lick of sense, it's so bizarre

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bakeneko posted:

I skipped around through one of Coffin’s braindead gibberish videos and their basic argument is: everything is the fault of systemic problems, so you should never hold an individual accountable for doing something unethical and you especially shouldn’t criticize them online for inventing a fake Asian girlfriend plagiarism because that makes you the bully.

It was accompanied by this thumbnail:

I'm not going to watch the video but I have to assume he ends it by saying ".... but if HBomb's video is problematic that's also the fault of systemic problems so we can't hold him accountable either" right?

..... right??

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nuns with Guns posted:

Coffin is a sad narcissist who burns through any positive relationships they have, and then finds some other place they can ingratiate themselves in. I wouldn't bother watching any videos of theirs. They're an attention monger like Jeremy Hambly/The Quartering, but catering to bitter nazbols with faux communist critiques instead of open fascism.

I actually went and watched Coffin's "HBomb video REAXX!" response videos and their arguments were terrible and at times it really felt like they were deliberately whiffing it to try to goad HBomb into replying so they could worm their way into the wider discourse and rack up the view count on their own channel. I dunno, I haven't seen any of their videos before so maybe they're just always this bad? They did the lovely highschool debate team thing of singling out a sentence from the opposite team, redefining a key word and then smugly proclaiming that the argument no longer makes any sense. Lazy shameful poo poo.

They also kept arguing that laws only protect the Capitalist class therefore IP laws (which make plagiarism bad) only benefit Capitalists and shouldn't be a problem for real Leftists since if laws aren't real then plagiarism isn't a bad thing and not a real problem, and also kept going on and on about how HBomb's actions have started an internet witch hunt for people "who simply repeated something that someone else said first without crediting them, which is just a normal thing which happens in conversation all the time". It's suuuuuuper tempting to assume that was all an awkward attempt to get ahead of any accusations that might come their way but :shrug:

I wouldn't recommend anyone else watch those videos, they were a waste of time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've been watching Public Relations Section Chief Mr. Tamasuke the cat. It turns out he was "a troublesome manager who not only presses his favorite employee's arm with both front legs and forces him to work overtime, but also barks at him as if to ask him to take care of himself more."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_8HP3-49s

Unfortunately that was a violation of the Labor Standards Act so the authorities had to step in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXpd8ROVE8E

It then came to light that the manager had been accepting bribes from customers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWyxPuYxXP4

Mr Tamasuke was perpwalked off to prison in disgrace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9PwdVXrRZk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crocobile posted:

I love him playing the first couple lines of “Crazy” to contrast classic vs modern country music. I have such a soft spot for Patsy Cline.

Willie Nelson wrote 'Crazy', 'Night Life' and 'Funny How Time Slips Away' over the course of one week in 1958 during his long commutes to work for someone else's band because he hadn't started his solo career at that point and was struggling to support his family, that's just how insanely talented and timeless and iconic he is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fil5000 posted:

Maybe, but let's also not forget that scene ends with Mark Harmon pulling the plug out of the computer they're using, which is an extremely boomer way of fixing "a hacker is invading your network"

I remember a old comicbook from the early 90s where one character's consciousness gets sucked into the computer Tron-style and a character in the real world has an argument with him and then punches the screen and the editor had to add a footnote explaining that smashing the screen wouldn't kill the Tron-ed guy
E:

Animal Man #49

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KingKalamari posted:

The sad part is that I feel like this offloading of literally every subtask of production on to someone else to generate a source of "passive income" has increasingly become the standard mindset throughout first world culture. I think the best description I've heard of this is "The Zapierification of all things".

And that's really lovely because it not only results in the internet being clogged up by more low-effort content, but I think it has a deeply demoralizing effect on people who want their labor to actually contribute to humanity as a whole. It just feels like all of the jobs have increasingly become ones of managing the under-payed class of gig laborers who do pointless tasks to move money around without actually producing anything of actual value, and that really saddens me.

Folding Ideas did a video about a year ago on gig economy writers-for-hire whose job is to research & write entire books for people who want to generate passive income via Amazon ebooks, and the multiple layers of scams and grifts involved. It's goddamned infuriating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biYciU1uiUw

Of course this was before ChatGPT really took off so you don't even need to hire gig economy writers any more, you just get an AI app to pump it out and you're golden. Amazon is already glutted with incredibly lovely AI-generated books which are full of bullshit because they don't bother to edit them at all: https://sonderbooks.com/blog/?p=42630&f
My favourite are the kids books which were obviously trained on cartoons and get basic facts hilariously wrong:

There's also been several established authors who discovered that scammers are selling AI-generated books under their name on Amazon, and in some cases they had to fight a crazy uphill battle to get Amazon to do anything about it after they got told "Well your name isn't copyrighted so they haven't broken any rules": https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/sep/30/authors-shocked-to-find-ai-ripoffs-of-their-books-being-sold-on-amazon

Nuebot posted:

Also publishers suck more than ever. Like, in theory, the whole deal is basically that they cover the costs of printing, manufacturing, marketing, and all that poo poo for you so your book can actually reach people and they take a cut of the revenue to profit. Except aside from the fact that, increasingly, publishers kind of gate themselves off as ivory tower bullshit where the only way to actually get in is via pre-existing fame or connections to people who are already in the fold; elsewise everyone else gets to fight for the scraps like we constantly see YA authors doing: you even have to do your own marketing now, on social media. Most basic packages expect you to make so many posts and poo poo a day promoting your own book. The largest benefit of going with a publisher is, by and large, the fact that you have that publisher's name attached to your book - because the amount of work you have to do going the self publishing route is, by and large, the same; but the amount of money you spend isn't. Which is really loving stupid, but people genuinely do judge books based on who published them.

I've been reading Martin Scott's (AKA Martin Millar) award winning fantasy series 'Thraxas' since the early 00s and they were originally published via big publishers like Baen but he's since lost his publishers and has gone indie. I try to avoid Amazon as much as possible but now it's the only way to get a physical copy of his new books. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

How high/drunk/stupid do you have to be to confuse "kicked to the curb" for "curb-stomped"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It finally broke 10 million views and is currently Hbomb's 3rd most watched video ever :toot:
His top two videos have 11 and 12 million views so this one might overtake them eventually

ToddInTheShadows' video about Somerton currently has 1.6 million views and is his 3rd most watched video ever as well

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

trilobite terror posted:

Jenna gets enough plays today from nostalgic elder zoomers (lol), etc, that even if she didn't have a fuckton in savings and investments from her heyday she could still stay totally off of the internet and pull in mogul money passively

Yeah her views have been dropping off fairly steadily but she's still pulling in around 2.5 million views per month which is pretty crazy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Queer Salutations posted:

I love when dudes on the internet pretend some some niche context excuses their behaviour. His "those jokes weren't offensive because that's just what the internet was like back then!" excuse had big "people in Australia say the N world all the time and it's fine!" energy.

Australians don't say the N-word all the time, we say the C-word all the time. This is an attack on my cultural heritage! :argh:

(We used to say the N-word a lot here in Australia and even used it in popular radio jingles :nws: but it mostly fell out of use before my lifetime.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Lowtax just started uploading content an hour ago after a break of two years following his death

https://www.youtube.com/@GamingGarbage/videos

:thunk:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I'd never heard of this guy before and went into this video completely blind and was all :psyduck::confused::psyduck::confused::psyduck:

It took an embarrassingly long time for the penny to drop, lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New sculpt from Something Wicked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkr4O8LLx9Q

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Lowtax's Youtube bio now links to a Twitter account with all sorts of recent right wing garbage and giveaway retweets. Someone else definitely took over.

Earlier this year I got a flurry of bizarre threats from a young woman Lowtax had been venting to shortly before his suicide. She blamed me for his death, said she was going to track down my family, and seemed to have access to a lot of his info. I wouldn't be surprised if it was her.

Also this:

NVB posted:

If you use the waybackmachine etc it shows the associated login e-mail was changed roughly in March.

When you compare the channel details and click view e-mail it was changed from lowtax @ gmail.com to c_reddell @ hotmail.com

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crain posted:

This is something that gives Somerton away as well. He didn't seem to understand or engage with any of the media he talked about because of the particular mode in which he was approaching them with. I don't think the man is incapable of understanding art, movies, history, or anything else, but he never tried. He only read, watched, or listened to media with the mindset of "what can I quote, reference, or edit into a video?". He put out so much stuff that he didn't have the time, nor cared to put in the time, to give anything multiple passes. He clearly only gave any particular thing one go and during that go was just highlighting poo poo to pull for a video, and if you're doing that exclusively there is no way you can actually come away with any real knowledge or understand of something.

[...snip...]

That's the kinda poo poo Somerton was doing. Scanning through some piece of media and every so often going "That looks important, let's use that", figuring out where in the timeline to drop it, and then moving on without ever conceptualizing what he just saw or heard. His brain was only ever in plagiarize mode.

trilobite terror posted:

judging by his apology video that’s pretty likely what it was

he wanted to make all sorts of other content and have his own media company and do a bunch of different poo poo behind/in front of the camera and be a celebrated internet gay with a nebula partnership and streamy awards and an expensive office full of serious artist toys and the video essays about media are the first thing that really hit, so he had to build his channel around them.

I’m sure seeing some video essayist nebula people get to make expensive feature-length creative projects getting what I can only assume are tens of thousands of views gave him a model for what to do as well.

Yeah, without trying to guess why he started doing this it's pretty clear that the eventual business model he landed on with his Youtube videos looks a hell of a lot like those grifters who are attempting to generate 'passive income' by picking a popular topic and pumping out endless 'content' as quickly and efficiently as possible, usually by plagiarizing dozens of sources

Tom Nicholas did a video about internet grifts and the section about becoming a fake internet expert is pretty much exactly what Somerton was doing. It's content creation purely as a business hustle, not because you have any passion for the topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bq3SdfzcA4&t=2157s
(37:55 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gaius Marius posted:

I have no time for self denigration, have some loving confidence in yourself and your abilities.

I am extremely confident that I am a big idiot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus, and Iguanodon being in S-tier is wild. I know they were some of the heavy hitters but they're B at best they were going up against plumbers and garbage men in their heyday.

These lists are always based on nostalgia and the s-tier will always be whatever the list maker was obsessed over when they were a kid regardless of its objective value

Brontosaurus got retconned out of existence and then some random new sauropod got given the name as a consolation prize, it's not even the same dinosaur as before

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 29, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

Thunder Lizard and Iguana Tooth, sure, they're B Tier but I won't hear slander against Stegosaurus or his Thagomizer. Thag Simmons died to give us that information.

If you like thagomizers then the Stegosauria suborder has a wide range of dinos you may appreciate. Check out Kentrosaurus or Chialingosaurus for some crazy thagomizer action, or even Gigantspinosaurus for some bizarre side-mounted mega-thagomizers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

Vertigo is the coolest fighter in Primal Rage but there's no actual dinosaur like her.

There's theropods with horns such as Carnotaurus but that's about as close as they got

They had the dinkiest little vestigial arms, they're even smaller than Trex arms :3:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grondoth posted:

The rise of skywalker making everyone realize that that whole trilogy was a stupid waste of time nobody should've gotten emotionally invested in was astounding to watch. All enthusiasm... vanished. Gone. It felt so all consuming, a loving all out war everywhere over how good/bad/woke the second movie was and what the third movie was gonna be and then rather than ending in a giant shitshow it's like we all looked at it and went "well that was stupid, huh" and the legacy of the star wars sequels is "somehow, Palpatine has returned." I don't think I can think of anything quite like it.
I grew up watching the original trilogy in the early 80s and by the 90s I was regularly attending Star Wars fanclub meetings (in person in an actual building, this was before the internet) and going to Star Wars conventions and we were all so goddamned excited for The Phantom Menace and then it came out and I went "Oh, the new Star Wars isn't for me" and drifted away from the fandom. I got rugpulled by Star Wars nearly a quarter of a century ago

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Fast and furious starts as a Point Break for car bros but the criminals are just stealing DVD players and then the sequels scale up the crime until the newest ones are James Bond but stupid (Complementary). They whip. Vin Diesel earthbends a man to defeat in one movie.

Even worse, they were stealing VCRs :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnM8rVqr0XY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

before he pivoted to speedrunning content karl jobst was a pick up artist and once said he was allowed to use the n word because it wasnt racist in Australia

Speaking as an Australian ..... :magical: what the actual gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The new British Cryptids (1974) faux documentary uses a lot of AI-generated images and deepfake interview footage and judging by the comments, 50% of the viewers didn't notice and love the video and 50% think the reliance on AI is a crime against god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rehpv-L2E

I mostly liked the video but found the AI to be super distracting

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sardonik posted:

Not talking about sponsorships or even monetization. All I am saying is you are underestimating the pain of seeing the watch time of your videos being less than the time it took to put them together.

My all time most popular video is a 10 second animation I chucked together in an afternoon and never expected anyone to watch, it's currently got over half a million views. My most painstakingly pieced together video took over a month of work, involved nearly a dozen other people, took weeks to scout a site and also research & practice the effects I needed plus build props and costumes and modify equipment, plus I also injured myself pretty badly during the filming and ended up with a scar which lasted for years and years and only faded recently. That video got less than 250 views, lol.

Edit: the worst part was that we didn't get any good footage of the injury so it didn't even make it into the video :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Big Joel will also massively cutting back the short videos so he can concentrate on a handful of larger projects

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWBTE0ahNqU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

trilobite terror posted:

post all them shits

The complete failure of my big effort video is a constant source of personal amusement to me so I'm never going to share it again :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The 7th Guest posted:

but if you're just doing it for fun or as a hobby, then yeah, it'd be weird if you weren't making videos you enjoy, though sometimes if you want to do a topic or specialization for fun, you might be surprised at what audience could show up, if you've found an underserved niche

You also don't know when they're going to turn up. One of my videos was a stupid 40 second clip of a super annoying bootleg battery powered toy based on an old Japanese cartoon about a robot cat which I uploaded so I could show it to a friend online (this was in the days before facebook) and it sat practically unwatched for 15 years until the algo suddenly started pushing it via 'suggested video' and it blew up

I'm assuming that a really popular channel released a video with similar keywords which was enough to get my lovely vid pinged by the algorithm. I also got 47 new subscribers, lol

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 4, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bird. posted:

In terms of not creating content to appease the algorithm, I tend to find the algorithm itself obnoxious. You click one 2 minute comedy video and then you're barraged with 70% comedy videos. Same with whatever else. I will go in clearly knowing what I want to watch, like, I'm in a game reviews mood can I just get a list of mandalores nearest neighbors to browse. Oh, word? Only individual videos and only filterable by terms that frequently have nothing to do with the actual videos that appear under that filter? I can't even pick which filters appear, it's just some rng seed of 15 things I've watched before?

I've picked up the habit of opening videos in a private window if I suspect they might screw up my recommendations, or at least scrubbing them from my watch history afterwards. Also if I'm not getting any recommendations that interest me I'll sometimes pick a relevant video and open it in a private window so the recommendations it generates aren't influenced by my watch history, I've quite often found interesting new stuff by sidestepping the algorithm that way.

That loving algo :argh:

DaysBefore posted:

Time to get the patreon going and cash in

I'm going to use this newfound popularity to pivot into an OnlyFans career. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I am the chuddest rhino

I would kill for that cassette player mod as a kid lol

When I was a kid I did have a computer with a cassette player. :smug:

It was a 1985 Amstrad 6128 and most of the games came on cassette tape and took forever to load

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Interweb posted:

sure but isn't it also kind of important to ask "who's the kind of person that would use commie as an insult"?

Joseph McCarthy?