Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hell Yeah, that loving ruled.

Love that people loving with Boba's jet pack is just a thing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Straight up forgot that it was rumored that Timothy Olyphant was gonna be in the show, so when took the Boba helmet off, I was like "well I'll be damned" and he was fantastic. I hope he comes back later in the season

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Two things I noticed upon re-watching the episode

1. The shot of Cobb using his rocket to kill the escaping Mining clan dudes is framed almost identically to Iron Man killing the terrorists in the first Iron Man movie. The only difference is Cobb doesn't "cool guy" walk way from the explosion. Nice little nod from Favreau to his former work, I think

2. Seems a bit odd that Cobb only refers to the bartender as Weequay. I would assume he'd have learned the name of the bartender he saved and I assume visits quite often, rather than just calling him by his species. I suppose it could be a Star Wars-y way to just call the guy "barkeep" but it seemed unusual.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

skasion posted:

In old canon, Weequay usually went by “Weequay” to outsiders because they didn’t have names among themselves owing to the fact that they don’t really talk and do most of their communication by pheromones.

In new canon, they have names and talk in sexy Spanish accents, so I guess the marshal is just a racist

Oh interesting. My knowledge of Weequay is quite limited to "the guy who got eaten by the sarlacc with Boba Fett" and Hondo, so that actually helps it to make sense.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

They got better performances out of him for Clone Wars, which I think is mostly just Dave Filoni being a better writer than George Lucas was.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Test Pattern posted:

"Jedi? Why of course! You are very lucky, my friend, because you have found the greatest expert on Jedi in this sector, if not the Galaxy! Why, I have had many adventures with Jedi! I have fought them, fought alongside them, stolen from them, kidnapped them, saved them from kidnapping... If you want to hear about Jedi, I am the next best thing to a Jedi! Even better than a Jedi! So, my helmeted friend, what do you want to know, and what is it worth?"

Considering we know Hondo is alive and kicking up through the Sequel Trilogy era (thanks to Galaxy's Edge), I'd be so goddamned stoked to have him show up to piss off Din at some point.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Well that was a lot of fun! As soon as I saw the spiders I was like "Oh those things." and then the big one hit and I was like OH poo poo. Two for two on cool big rear end monsters, season 2!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The giant ant in the cantina is called Dr. Mandible :allears:

I have subtitles on, and his name showed up before she said it, and I was like "Oh hell yes."

He's also a fun character in general, given who directed this episode.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Apparently he’s super deep into the cosplay scene, too, and is absolutely freaking out on Twitter today. Apparently you get a commemorative coin when you guest star on The Mandalorian?

Jon Favreau does commemorative "challenge" coins for all his projects.

Super fun. He seems like a good boss.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lmao she blocked me months ago when I said her character on the show would probably beat her up for being a chud, so I was wondering why people were mad again.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

Let’s not forget this beautiful little plot point allowed us to hear Richard Ayoade’s marvelous droid voice acting again.

I love that Mando just kept the loving droid he blew apart. Its like he was so done with that entire mission that he was like "Mine now, fuckers"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Its Rinaldo posted:

Mando gonna find another droid repair friend to wipe it's mind and get a droid butler to fill the hole in his heart left by IG-11

Richard Ayoade as a recurring sidekick would be sublime.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Shneak posted:

Can't even slightly relate. I don't know why but her just saying "Doctor Mandible" cracked me up.

Because Doctor Mandible is hilarious, and my favorite new Star Wars name since Thurm Sissorpunch

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I honestly wish she’d just say the quiet poo poo out loud so that they can dump her and be done with it. The chud celebs who just hide behind retweets and vagueposts are the worst.

She changed her twitter bio to "beep/boop" to insult people who put preferred pronouns in their bio. She's starting to say that quiet poo poo pretty loud.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Hazo posted:

... god dammit I’ll bite.

What the gently caress is this about?

Pablo Hidalgo made a very in poor taste joke about frog lady and welfare.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Screencaps?
I couldn't find anything about it, but chuds whining about SJWs in their Star Wars.

https://twitter.com/xspaceangelsx/status/1326911039204700166?s=20

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

That was some premium rear end-kicking going on this week. Solid loving action and, yeah, this'll keep the "but the plot" people happy for a bit.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ventress owns, I’m kinda bummed there’s no chance of her popping up again since that novel killed her off.

I mean, technically the book is canon (which is weird, I thought it was Legends), but that's never stopped them from ignoring non-filmed media before.

Did anyone else think for a second the mother and father frog were gonna eat their little one at the end of the episode, sort of like a "and you thought the baby was bad" thing. I mean, I'm glad they didn't, but there was a slight pause there that I was like "Oh no."

I was shocked at first that Bo-Katan simply said Ahsoka's name, because I thought they'd play that for mystery, but then it makes since that this show is introducing these characters from animation as New To Mando and thus the audience. Hope her live action introduction is as cool as her character deserves.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I'd love to see them take the route Rebels did with Thrawn and do something similar with Mara Jade. She'd be really cool to see in the story, but she'd have to be different than the Legends version.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

They simply can't have a Star Wars product without some form of Lightsabers showing up. Solo almost made it the entire runtime until Maul shows up and ignites his for no goddamn reason, and then Mandalorian season one busted out the Darksaber (which at least is a cool variation on it that hasn't been seen in live action)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the thing that stings to me is specifically that her character would absolutely hate the actress portraying her.

She blocked me on Twitter for saying this. I didn't even tag her in it, she found it on her own. Truly amazing stuff.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Laughing my rear end off forever that they brought back Midichlorians. God, I love Favreau.

This was a boss-rear end episode, and even though it felt like a "side-mission" episode it still had decent "push the plot" info. Carl Weathers should direct more, cause the action was top loving notch.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I like that the child is expanding his palette for snacks. Maybe he'll stay away from people's last known eggs now that he can just enjoy a tasty macaron.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gendy Tartakovsky Clone Wars kicks large amounts of rear end, but it's stylistically very different in both look and tone to the Filoni series. It's just fun Star Wars action (and they got to introduce General Grevious and show why he's a feared badass, instead of the weird mustache twirly coughing dude in ROTS. The Filoni show helped Grevious too)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Kanine posted:

also i hope everyone is aware of karbin from the new darth vader comics lmao

this loving rules.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I have the Baby Yoda toy that is a plush body with a plastic head and I have no shame about buying it. He sits atop our apartment's entertainment stand and judges us for what we watch. It's great.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Yuuzhan Vong are, on paper, a really interesting villain and I’d be down to see Dave & Co take a swing at them. The NJO in general kinda sucked, but forcing the Jedi out of their comfort zone to face an enemy that’s basically a wound in the force is a neat concept.

I know at one point they had intended to feature them in Clone Wars before eventually nixing the idea, but I don’t know if it would have been an actual debut or just a tease with Nom Anor or something.

The Yuuzhan Vong always felt more like a threat from Star Trek than Star Wars, but they were interesting to see the Jedi deal with even if the books were not the best.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If the show manages to find a way to bring Thrawn into live action successfully, it may just become my favorite Star Wars thing ever, since I adored The Thrawn Trilogy when I was in junior high school. Sure they don't read very well now, but I still love that Chiss bastard.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gonz posted:

Bring back Dexster Jettster and his 50’s diner.

His role as "guy who knows stuff" would probably prove useful to Mando, and it would be cool to see a less plastic-y looking version of Coruscant.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I liked the yoda theme

Yeah the little bits of Yoda's theme when she mentions him, that poo poo was great.

Holy loving poo poo, that kicked huge amounts of rear end.

THRAWN!!!!!!!!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

And her voice isn't as big a departure from Ashley Eckstein as I thought it would be. She just sounds like an Older Ashoka, which makes sense.

Also, I adore the way Grogu would look at Mando whenever he said his real name.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rewatched the episode and during the final encounter with the Magistrate's soldiers and droids, the moment when Ahsoka ignites her sabers together and pulls them apart? The loving best.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I suppose it would depend on how old Gungans get, because he'd be fairly old at that point.

I'd be thrilled though, especially if it gave Ahmed Best more work. I love Ahmed Best. He's great as the Jedi host of the Star Wars Kids version of Legend of the Hidden Temple.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh it's that out?

Yeah, all the episodes they currently have produced are on the Star Wars Kids YouTube channel

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

euphronius posted:

Did Dawson do a good job as Ash(hs)oka?

Assume I've never seen a star wars cartoon.

She did a fantastic job. Dawson embodied the character excellently. I knew we were in good hands when Mando used his launched cords to tie her up and she realized she could jump up and screw up his plan, the smile on her face is 100% the Ahsoka from the Clone Wars and Rebels. She got the physicality, the personality, and the heart of the character very well. She also happens to look very good in the makeup and her voice is fairly close to what Ahsoka would sound like at the age, continuing the progression her voice actress was doing from CW to Rebels.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Isn't the ~* l o r e *~ explanation for the crossguards is that Kylo's crystal is SO RED AND SO loving EVIL that it needs additional exhaust to stabilize the beam? or something equally dumb?

Like most things Kylo Ren does, it was done in poor judgement and done poorly, so he hosed up, cracking his blooded crystal which caused it to be super unstable, so it's just more powerful than a typical saber hilt is built to hold. Nothing to do with evil.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I was 100% sure this episode was gonna be a side-quest to the main plot but was pleasantly surprised they went right to Typhon.

Boba Fett finally living up to his promise of being cool after all these years is dope as hell, and him wrecking troopers with a Gaffi stick is just the coolest poo poo

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Was that the first time the show has actually shot footage outdoors instead of on that crazy holo-stage?

They have a little outdoor set in an old LA train yard that they redress a bunch if they need to be outside (the biggest use I can think of it is the establishing shots of the Tattooine ghost town that Cobb Vanth protects)

Semi-related, apparently the Obi-Wan show is going to shoot in London, and also...a soundstage in Boston?

Space Boston prevails.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gonz posted:

It's also entirely possible that Grogu was communing with dead Jedi from the netherworld of the Force. 5 straw pennies says Filoni and Favreau are gonna pull out some crazy bullshit and get Liam Neeson, Hayden Christensen, Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan McGregor or Frank Oz as Yoda to make an appearance.

Or maybe it'll be a swerve and it'll be Plo Koon or Aayla Secura or Yarael Poof or Kit Fisto.

Filoni would almost certainly be all about Plo Koon showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jedit posted:

I got the impression that one of the reasons Leia stopped training as a Jedi was because she got pregnant, so he's likely not born yet.

And who the gently caress named a character Yarael Poof? It sounds like a Jedi from Glasgow got drunk and started waving his lightsabre around.

Leave Jedi Master Poof alone, he's the only one with any goddamn sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2emv5A7OlVM