Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Endorph posted:

depends on the material. itto's are fun cause hes the only one that really uses them and there's a decent amount of them, theyre just a bit of a hunt. something like doing the spinny electric bird boss 5 billion times if you wanna level both sara and raiden can go gently caress itself

I'm not sure which boss I hate fighting more, that bird or the Oceanid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I barely managed to get 2000 for everything, I don't know how absurdly outfitted you guys must be to get platinum on this stuff.

Would've helped if the new waves of enemies came in faster.

Yeah, that was a problem for me, especially in the final one. I think it took almost five seconds per wave for them to load in on one attempt.

But in more important news, I finally pulled Shogun. Couldn't do it last time, and I was seriously worried I wouldn't get her this time, but it happened! Now time to grind for artifacts so I can obliterate everything! :toot:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

sushibandit posted:

Chasm is neat so far, haven't progressed much through the unlocking quest chain yet though. It's neat in an attention-to-details way that the "mining" zone seems to have more crystal and ore deposits than other areas of the map.

Yeah, I think I got more Jade in a day in the Chasm than I have for weeks in Liyue. It's great if you're trying to level up Beidou

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Xalidur posted:

I didn't like Raiden's second story quest because it took a character who should have been severe/badass and focused on her emotional problems that were only solved because you, the player, were there to help her. I would contrast it with Zhongli, who also has a very sad backstory, but the player doesn't help him work through it in any way. We're just there to occupy his time. So it ended up feeling gendered in a bad way to me.

I think Keqing has been the victim of similar character assassination where she's presented as this hardass who everyone is slightly afraid of, but other than her introduction everything about her has been all about high school girl problems.

While I get that "a situation/nation in stasis is shaken up by the introduction of an outsider" is sort of a classic fantasy/D&D story format, it feels shallow and unearned in these cases because the Traveler is such a nothing character and it happens too quickly.

I don't remember much of Keqing's storyline outside of the last Lantern Rite quest, so I can't comment on that, but I don't think Raiden came off less badass, if only because when you return to the other dimension to help her, you find out that Ei and the Shogun have been dueling for years, possibly even centuries, and after the fight Ei admits that if she had lost her focus for even a second during that time, she would be dead. I thought it was one of the few times that one of the god characters actually felt like a god in terms of ability.

Maybe I'm being too forgiving though, because I do think you have a valid argument that can be made, at least with Keqing

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Captain France posted:

Wait we did?
I'm pretty sure this is the first anything like this has been confirmed, and I only remember "they used to be humans" being hinted since launch.

I don't even remember that, so I was definitely surprised by the reveal

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kale posted:

Hangouts are the thing I'm furthest behind on cause I admit they dont entirely do it for me. In Japan they dont even make pretense of it and just call them date events. Some are a bit amusing like the Noelle one, others like Chongyun I'm not so sure.

I'm fine with calling them hangouts as a catch-all; some characters like Barbara definitely want to date you, but others like Bennett just want to go and have an adventure with you.

AG3 posted:

Agreed. We need more content where Paimon's presence doesn't render the MC's existence superflous.

I'm not a game designer so I might be missing something obvious, but I don't get the logic behind having a main character that has no personality and also no way for you to project your own personality through them (in a way that the game responds to), while simultaneously having an NPC character there who only exists to do all the interacting and personality projection that in most games the MC (and/or player) does. Like I can see a use case for a silent protagonist even if I don't like them much, but I think the whole point is defeated when you instead replace it with an omnipresent loudmouth NPC who does nothing but talk all day.

Paimon's meant to save time and money by allowing Mihoyo to not have to record double the lines whenever they record dialogue, while also serving to recap the player on events they might have forgotten about. It's not a choice I like, but I get it; not everyone plays the game regularly or is that invested in the story, so they need a way to make sure players know what's going on and Paimon's it. I am with you, though, in that I'd like Traveler to have more agency in the storyline and interact more, even if Paimon's the only character your choices affect.

If nothing else, it'd be nice if they gave Traveler dialogue in non-spoken events. I get not letting Traveler talk during dialogue with spoken lines, but there's nothing wrong with letting them tell off a cookie-cutter NPC instead of Paimon doing it for them

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Incoherence posted:

It's sometimes nice to have multiple teams built for different purposes without having to swap weapons/artifacts around, I guess?

Could really use more than four saved team slots, though.

Yeah, I'd love it they bumped team slots up to like eight or so. Eight would give me a slot for my main team and then the rest would be element-focused

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Zwiebel posted:

Scaramouche was a rando with a big hat in the limited 1.1 event Unreconciled Stars and he was playing nice until he decided he should kill the traveler. This got ruined because Mona was there and she's a walking lie detector, pointing out that Scaramouche has secretly been an rear end in a top hat all along and they got away. Then they meet him again at the end of Unreconciled Stars and he's being a nasty rear end in a top hat and exits while calling everyone else a sucker.
The bad vibes in the archon quest was more because of the crystal marrow harvested from Orobaxis corpse rather than anything Scaramouche did. We don't quite know yet why it affected the traveler like that.

Kale posted:

If you missed one flagship event way back near the start of the game then Fischl has never appeared in the story in any capacity and there's no way to see her in it at all that I'm aware of, people just talk about her from time to time and you can sometimes very rarely get her on event wishes. Kazuha has at least shown up from time to time and pretty recently even.

Stuff like this makes me really want them to make it easier to catch people up on things they might have missed. I tried Genshin at launch, but I fell off initially; it wasn't until they announced Aloy would be a free character for PS players (which happened to be right when I had just completed HZD for the first time) did I give the game another chance and got hooked. So I missed everything between 1.1 and until like 2.3 where I had mostly everything unlocked and could participate in flagship events.

I get they want you to participate in the events as they happen and if you're interested in the story, that's part of the motivation to get to where you can enjoy them, but it's not new player friendly. I had no context for Scaramouche when he appeared in the Inuzuma archon quest other than him being a Fatui, and knowing that he had tried to kill the Traveler beforehand would have given him more of an impact

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

I really appreciate this insight; it's pretty easy for people not familiar with Chinese culture to miss context that Hoyolabs would be approaching the game with, especially with the Liyue characters. Like, I'm familiar with some of the issues of China's policies with children, but I never would have connected that with Shenhe, and learning about that gives me a better appreciation for the character.

Out of curiosity, are there other characters we might be missing context in general? I know Yun Jin had a slightly negative reaction with her singing voice, but that seemed to be more due to a lack of familiarity with Chinese opera than anything

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Same, I'm also enjoying the insight.

Kekeke! posted:

I don't think its wasted necessarily. Genshin is clearly successful outside of Asia to an extent not seen with other titles that have similarities. While I can't speak for others, what drew me to Genshin was actually culture in specific. Yunjin got a lot of attention on Chinese social media because it was seen as a very successful adaptation of something essentially Chinese into a video game. That's what got me to watch her character demo and the character animations and there spot on modeling of Beijing opera got me to download the title.

People here are quite proud of genshin's international success. There is a lot of handwringing and insecurity about traditional Chinese culture struggling to compete with foreign cultural products. The government even wants to combat this by building what it calls "cultural confidence." You can see this in how much they regulate films and games in China. I think its all conservative moral panic because Chinese "traditional culture" in China is absolutely hegemonic. Genshin by a lot of Chinese games as the first major title to go big overseas. What I think is so meaningful to people is that this is a very homegrown product that comes from people who have clearly played a lot of foreign video games and have made a game that is the product that is connected to that gaming heritage. Chinese cultural products that are closely influenced by government arts support and funding are never able to compete outside the country successfully because they have to carefully bend to the guidelines the censors want. That's why the largest Chinese film blockbuster in history The Battle at Lake Changjin which I believe is also now the highest grossing film ever, is entirely unknown to people outside the country. Genshin doesn't feel like the cheesy stuff that easily passes the censor board. It feels like a game that really was developed in a more "free market" environment if that makes any sense. I can't cite any evidence but it really feels like genshin seems to get a little bit of censor leeway because its currently seen as this cultural darling. Some of the stuff in the game strikes me as sensitive content that could catch a censors attention.

Censorship issues are a lot more nuanced than people think and there isn't some clear list of things specific things not allowed. It's more like general guidelines that very subjective and often fall to the individual censors subjective feeling. I think that's why all the hubbub about the character skin changes was exaggerated on western gaming discussions. There are far more revealing outfits in the game. It's very likely the censor board maybe have made some vague comment about the character skins and Mihoyo made the changes on their own initiative to show compliance. Censorship in the country is intentionally vague so as to encourage people to self censor. When you have no idea exactly where the line is, you tend to try and play it safe, especially when the consequences are financially disasters.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of as sensitive content? I know Hoyolabs does play into some fan-shipping a bit (Amber/Eula, Beidou/Ningguang offhand), but outside of that, I can't really think of anything that might flag Chinese censors. Of course, I'm also saying that as a Westerner with a very limited understanding of what they might look for outside of obvious stuff

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

We need more skins for everybody.

A year ago, it seemed like an odd oversight that they weren't selling skins as fast as they could make them. At this point it can only be a deliberate effort to not make money.

You're right that it'd be easy money, which makes me wonder if the Genshin team at Hoyolabs just isn't that big, and they'd rather focus on new characters and content than alt skins.

Or, they just want to reserve skins for events, like Ningguang's alt for the Lantern Rite, and that's why they come out at a trickle

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kale posted:

I wouldn't base any theories on fanart. :lol: If you go by fanart then for example Yelan and Shenhe have a special relationship despite never having appeared on screen together at all.

Was Amber/Eula a fanshipping before they ever appeared together in game? If so, it's possible it ends up becoming a thing.

quote:

I always figured it was going to be Sumeria which if I'm not mistaken covered parts of India and the Middle East at the time of the earliest civilizations known to historians. There's also Venessa in the lore btw as another character with a darker skin tone.

And I'd like to think that about Sumeria as well, but so far every NPC from there has looked just like everyone else, I'm not holding out a ton of hope

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Ah, okay. I wasn't sure because of the reactions to the last Dragonspire event in a Discord server I was in that made it sound like Hoyolabs was confirming the fan shipping

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Xun posted:

Maybe I'm just a weirdo but I actually had an easier time on PC than mobile for the drum event :saddowns:

My issue with the drum event on PS4 was less controls being bad and more the UI layout being rear end. Maybe it would have fine on a smaller screen, but on my tv it's pretty bad

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Kale posted:

e: Never mind figured out the top up site again. Anyway looking like I'm probably not getting Shinobu as I plan on going no higher than one more 10 roll on the Itto banner near the end and capping at 40 on the pity counter. No biggie, not a hugely sought after character and one that I can get some other time perhaps.

My pity's pretty high and I want Kazuha, so I've made peace with not pulling Shinobu. It is what it is.

My pulls on this banner were bad. I went from a CO Yanfei to a C7, which might have been okay if I used her at all, but as it is she sits at Lvl. 1

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

The history of the hillichurls,, and how Hoyoverse slowly gave gave out more info of their past, before really hammering it home in the Chasm interlude, is really good storytelling.

I do wish though they'd find a better way to make the gameplay more consistent with the narrative. Honestly now most of the time when I see hillichurls I try to just leave them alone unless I'm forced to.

The Wiki summarizes the tragic history of the hillichurls well (story spoilers if you're not caught up)

Though they have existed for over a thousand years, their presence has spread since the Cataclysm occurring 500 years ago.[2] These hilichurls are actually the former citizens of Khaenri'ah, having been cursed with immortality and transformed into monsters. They wear masks to hide their true faces, out of a fear of seeing their true identity on a reflective surface like water. This is due to the mental anguish they suffer from after seeing how their faces have changed from the curse. Under their curse, memories of their former life are long forgotten, as well as most semblances of humanity they once had. Their intelligence and behavior are gradually degraded, and no longer speak nor understand the common language of Teyvat. Because of this, Hilichurls are in a perpetual state of agony. However, Hilichurls still seem to be aware that they are cursed, and are somehow aware of the properties of an area in The Chasm that can temporarily suppress their immortality. Some Hilichurls venture to this region to 'die', in which their physical bodies and mental state erode to the point that is like 'death'. It seems they have no urge to eat, or starve due to their weakness, as Paimon noted that their crates, which are usually used to store food, are found empty in the Chasm. The Hilichurls are dying as their end is nigh when they have grown old and become fearful of the light. Dainsleif (former captain of the Royal Guard of Khaenri'ah) said it doesn't matter if they had the Hilichurls wrong, because he also takes them as enemies.

Yeah, agreed. Hillichurls clearly aren't the monsters they're treated as, and the Traveler and Paimon are among the few people to know that. I'm fine with self-defense, but I'd like to see some moments of the Traveler going, "Well, I'm not comfortable with killing random Hillichurls" when asked

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

No Wave posted:

Very cool change this patch - the BP now remembers what you did Monday/Tuesday before the patch releases:

EDIT: Am I crazy or do normal attacks charge up Heizou's stacks for his E? And it also says that nowhere on his kit?

Oh drat, that is cool. I was avoiding doing anything BP-related because I didn't want to waste the XP

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Welp, not only was I QiQi'ed for the first time, but I got double Thoma'd.

My rolls have been poo poo lately

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Finally pulled Kazuha, so now I get to be annoyed that I still haven't pulled Heizou yet. Him and Shinobu are the only 4 stars I don't have yet.

I wanna punch things goddamnit

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Descar posted:

This!

I have gotten Klee and 2 Qiqi's now, but not a single Heizou...
statistically i should have gotten at least 4 of him now, but nooo.. here's a c20 ninguang for you >.<

My Yanfei went from a C0 to a C7 during the last banner so I feel that.

Like, I don't think I've pulled any of the 4 stars on this banner at all. It's been Kazuha, Qiqi, bunch of 4 star weapons and an Amber, and that's it

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Let me either level the traveler's talents once and be done, OR let me hotswap their element in the middle of a fight (in the middle of a combo, ideally!), or I will continue to never use them.

Garrand posted:

Sacrifice teammate slots but you put an element there instead with it's own energy meter and cooldown. I'd be up for that. Traveler isn't a moneymaker so I doubt they're going to put much more effort / energy into them outside of doing what they need to for each new element.

Honestly now that Traveler has access to four elements, I can see any of these being used as part of the fight with the big bad of the Sumeru arc or in the end game when all the Traveler's elements are unlocked. It'd be a cool way to show that things are serious

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

No Wave posted:

Livestream codes:

8ANCKTWYVRD5
EA7VKTFHU9VR
KT7DKSFGCRWD

Banners first half:
Tighnari, Zhong Li, and Collei

Banners second half:
Ganyu, Kokomi, and Dori

Welp, so much for rolling for Tighnari. Still don't have Zhongli yet

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

SiKboy posted:

fwiw they confirmed that Tighnari will be on the standard banner after his rate up banner is finished.

Oh, that's right, thanks for reminding me.

Still, while Zhongli being on the banner is obviously to get people to spend money for the 3.0 launch, it feels like they're undercutting their brand new character with this

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Eimi posted:

I'm pretty sure he's the only weekly boss where it repeating is basically canonical because he absolutely would love getting beaten up every week.

Since I always thought that Childe was vaguely into Traveler (like half the cast), I can't help but think it's a kink of his now

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

serefin99 posted:

Another important thing to note: you only need to OBTAIN 2400 of the currency, not actually spend 2400 to buy Fischl. So feel free to buy the stuff you need from the event shop as you go.

Ngl, I had completely forgotten about the event shop and had all 2400 points, so thanks for the reminder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Sanctum posted:

^^^
:lmao: exactly. "Oh the fatui tricked me into oppressing my own people, woe is me"

Ei made the shogun puppet so everything it does falls on Ei. Instead she offers up non-apologies for what happened. Also being locked in a thousand year battle with your own creation is not a redemption arc. All she does is re-assert control and promise to be different, but she isn't different. A redemption arc would be like if she worked to help undo the harm caused by the vision hunt decree. That would be admitting fault and working on doing better.

Zhongli just doesn't give a poo poo anymore. Venti is a flawed character who does his best. Raiden is your typical upper management who doesn't take responsibility because the vision hunt decree isn't what she *really* wanted.

Venti saw some horrible poo poo and just wants to forget that he did, Zhongli's old and tired and doesn't want to deal with anything anymore, and Ei was so traumatized by her sister's death that she escaped into her inner bubble and let a puppet run things in her place to the point where it almost destroyed her nation. There's not a ton of overarching themes in Genshin, but one of the few consistent ones is that being an Archon sucks.

Really looking forward to seeing how hosed up the Dendro Archon is!