Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
It's really obvious we need a new party. Labour is done. But I get that any plans for a new party would take time. Hopefully the wheels are at least in motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I don't get how tweets like that don't go viral. The PM of grate Britane is a murder furry and no one cares.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ed balls

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

It's quite funny in a Brexit context as IIRC, there's some debate about where the Northern half of the country begins for political purposes.

It’s Yorkshire upwards if it’s about concessions, it’s everything north of London if it’s about how awful northerners are.

Edit: just realised you’re on about Macedonia. Oh well.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 6, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
How would 'no deal' be trumpeted by the press as 'fine'?

It's going to be chaos.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Depends how 'turning on brexit' it defined. I don't think people are going to be happy with how Brexit turns out. But I have no idea if anyone even remotely to blame is going to take the brunt of the ire. Brexit the idea isn't the same thing as Brexit, the thing that's about to happen.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

i've never heard of this guy but his bio says hes the cofounder of the conservative party human rights commission and lmao

https://twitter.com/benedictrogers/status/1335598868671639552?s=20

I am so loving bored of the new cold war already. And there's like 50 more years of it. gently caress.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Liquid toffee is a tank

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Martin should still be wearing a mask even after being vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1336333757708554241?s=19

Good luck. Here in Wales no one wears them and funnily enough cases are rising rapidly.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

and the company is basically explicitly trying to cause people to have seizures while playing it.

No lets not keep this whole 'chud company tried to assassinate all epileptics' theory going.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
thank u to techbros for reinventing burn in

bring back a need to degauss next

*wonk*

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah whatever the UK is now it won't be soon.

But whatever we're going to become won't be good.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

Aha well I am a clinical scientist working on immune therapy development for the past 15 years rather than a shop assistant

jesus christ

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Continuity NIP posted:

Separatist movements inside England

*bangs knife and fork on table* Danelaw! Danelaw!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

There seems to be a fine-but-firm line between the ironic funny poster nippers and the wierdo actual nippers, if we have an actual blood and soil nipper in you then that's gonna be a lot of fun you should post more.

I mean they're trying to do something. Why is that so funny to you?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

mfcrocker posted:

I'll be honest, I doubt it's your intention but it's really coming off as you not taking this particularly seriously. I've had enough of left-wing parties throwing minority voices under the bus at the first opportunity, that's why I left the loving Labour party.

This situation stinks to high heaven

How are you getting that from his post? Things never got past ‘talking on social media’ stages. You didn’t leave labour because of the mere possibility that Keir’s regime was maybe might be poo poo.

Edit: well this is awkward. To be clear I’m focusing on the perception that he wasn’t taking it seriously. I appreciate that the situation is tense and that this country is a dumpster fire of TERFs and worse.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 13, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
How can they know everything? How would you confirm it?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure they can confirm it and they would know, knowing everything.

drat it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Holy poo poo, that's some powerfully misleading wording in that title, especially alongside that thumbnail.

I'm more worried that there had to be an investigation to prove there wasn't a paedo gene

Like at least some people behind this must have thought they could prove that 'yes, it does seem like those races just have a thing for kids, it's just science'.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So peace and violence are out. What’s the new plan?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The intense need for a new cold war is amazing

Other countries!!! Sell weapons!!!!! To other countries!?!?!? Jesus christ!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Wow its like we're rebelling but we don't have to do anything

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

This thread is great, is there a thread just for Brexit or is this pretty much it? And yes I looked:)

There's one in CSPAM that is essentially a viewing area for American leftists to have a giggle at poor people suffering. Depends what you're after.

I assume there will be a GBS thread when the first food riots start.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

their summer house eh

Everyone is such a rich bouj except me

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bedpan posted:

I admit that I am an outsider looking in, but it seems like you have all made this Brexit stuff far too complex. Brexit means Brexit. Understand that and you too shall be enlightened.

There's that cspam humour

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Refusing to hope because there's a good chance bad thing happens anyway is cowardice

Leave the lamentation till the bad things happen.

Who knows, Boris might murder suicide the lot of them at the Cobra meeting

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Even if the vaccine is easy to tweak, this still means you have to restart the massive, laborious process of getting it out to the whole world once it is tweaked. You have a much shorter period before your current vaccine stocks become useless, which is a logistical nightmare, and if you start getting outbreaks because, say, Peru still mostly has outdated vaccines, and those outbreaks accelerate the mutation process, then... well, you see where I'm going with this.

Considering there was always a chance this would end up like the flu where you have to get the vaccine every year I assume the logistical frameworks are going to remain in place so it's not like a complete restart. This depends on how short sighted different governments are being. Biggest danger is the pharma industry getting too greedy and making everything non-viable. Then we get deus ex and the vaccine turns into ambrosia.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

We've just had a historically unprecedented media event in that every establishment force united to stop a lefty, an unexpected consequence of that is that Boris et al were held to to even less of a standard than a Tory candidate usually is. Does anyone actually disagree that Theresa May would have been a significantly better leader for this moment than Boris is?

It's incredible that this confluence of 'yo actually real poo poo is happening now there's Events happening' and 'the establishment is only about stopping the left right now' has happened but you can only lol honestly. We have a uniquely incompetent government when we actually do need some competence and there is literally no media apparatus to create pushback because the media apparatus is directly why the incompetent government is in power, and the official opposition is explicitly defining itself only as downflow from that failed media apparatus. There's just nothing, we're functionally a failed state that just happens to have some money to throw around.

It feels like any other country would have hit a state of massive unrest by this point. Like the weird apathy of the British public is integral to how we got here. I'm not calling for violence. I'm saying there is, at a systemic level, no actual mechanism out of this other than violence. I just don't know how much is by design or how much is just corruption and failsons.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

There's always been a bit of the green movement that is very NIMBY and small c conservative.

Habitat disruption is real and 1 tree can matter depending on where it is, how old, type of tree and the biodiversity of the local area. The line being right there next to the remaining trees is a disruption itself. This is assuming the tree in question is part of a ‘wild’ bit of forest or land that could have biodiversity value. If it’s just a group of 8 trees next to afield then yeah whatever.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
loving idiot thought he could straddle the line

Either have integrity or go full corruption. Don't think you can pick and choose like you're trying to game morality.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

Our local country park has taken 25 years to turn from a former opencast site to a massively diverse habitat used by hundreds of people every day. Now it's getting a "northern spur" rammed through the middle of it. This year has led to lots of people discovering the great countryside around us just in time to see it destroyed.

Just about to start Disco Elysium after hearing you guys talk about it; is there anything I should know before I begin? I'm just thinking of Planescape: Torment and the whole "put your points in Wisdom/Intelligence or you'll miss half the game" thing. Thanks to whoever pointed out you could get it for a tenner from Epic Games!

There's no wrong way, it depends on what you want your character to be.

If you want a Sherlock type mindpalace super detective you want points in conceptulisation, visual calculus, logic and so on. Do you want a stressed out artist type? Points in conceptulisation, electrochemistry, shivers. Dale Cooper? Inland Empire, Espirit de corps, Shivers.

It's not really about winning, it's about what you want out of the game. If you want lots of Lynch style magical realism then pick the related skills. So there's no way to make a bad build but you could make a personally disappointing one.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

Thanks for the advice, I’ve decided to try and play myself and put all my points into lies, drugs, and physical ineptitude. Loving it so far!

I tried playing an idealised version of myself and it just mutated into my actual failure self. It was beautiful.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

can you actually play disco elysium as a fascist?

Yeah you can lean into fascism and racism. There will be hints at how much of a bellend you are and how your thinking is full of contradictions but you can totally play it.

Before anyone worries it's a very focused story so you don't get to actually do anything really vile. It's more the dumb thoughts that you'll come up with. You might get some specific dialogue when talking to one of the more racist/fascist characters.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 23, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I saw that and my take away was he's really mad that vulnerable people are going to get it first and wants to gently caress everything up by wasting all our reserves by giving everyone one dose. Also first paragraph states how we 'now know nothing can stop the spread' as if we really tried. Motherfucker we're here because of capitalism. Goddamnn getting mad at tonty blare in 2020.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Tequila Sunset is a very emotionally complex individual. Even when racist.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

Brave.

I tried neolib and tanky too, and that was after organically playing lib/left, the game presents really interesting high-falutin' sociopolitical skill trees and game mechanics but the answer to 'can you play a fash?' is obviously no. You can't actually play any meaningful ideology btw, it's wierdly specific but also completely aesthetic, it's 'listens to chapo and has a crush on the light-skinned black girl at the food bank; the game' it's masturbatory.

[[Spoiler warning]]

That’s projection. You can play a number of ideologies and the game then presents realistic pitfalls to each. If those pitfalls are insurmountable to you then too bad. Get a better ideology or at least a better mental fortitude. The games response to racial theory, for example, is the Semenese supremist. A minority that has internalised the ideology of his oppressors in order to become one. This is a real thing that happens. The game doesn’t judge this character. He IS strong and your only methods of dealing with him is to beat him at his own game, superiority of strength, talk it out and sacrifice your own integrity or work around him altogether. None of these routes result in him changing his own ideology. He never gets his comeuppance in some childish bit of wish-fulfilment. So what do you take from this? If you went in thinking racial theory types were bad, and I hope you do, then you won’t have changed your mind in the end and the character certainly hasn’t changed his. For a ‘masturbatory’ game this is remarkably evenhanded. Like the real world it doesn’t revolve around moments of perfect clarity and reckoning. The bad man will never clutch his head, screaming ‘I was wrong about everything’, before falling from the gantry. His faults are only what you think they are. The game does not judge him. It presents the scenario but does it with enough verisimilitude that we, as leftists, find it darkly humourous.

Every other ideology is treated similarly. The moralists (neoliberals) talk big but do little, watching as the poor get poorer and the rich get richer. They offer stability and do provide it but at great cost. You could absolutely agree with them in the game. You could agree that stability trumps all. The game won’t try to make you feel any worse than supporting the other factions. The communists? Most in this thread, me included, obviously gravitate here. But they’re presented again in a brutally honest fashion. In game they are represented as a well meaning but practically extinct force. At least in present day. During the revolution they crushed the workers between the artillery of the neoliberal coalition and their own, ensuring mass death and self destruction. Dogma ever the enemy. In the present of the game the current issue facing this faction is the ever growing weight of failure. The ideology itself is pure and good, but it always fails. Why? That’s up to you. I don’t see how this is masturbatory to ‘chapo leftists’ because the message is very much ‘we’re never getting communism but we endure’. The game indicates no benefits to this ideology other than what you come up with yourself. It does show you the ever mounting pile of bodies.

I think the reason the game is like this is because you’re not playing an ideology. You’re playing a person. A deeply flawed person like the rest of us. He shouldn’t ever be reduced just down to what ideology he is or whether it’s the most correct one. One day the entity formally known as Harry lost his mind and identity and something horrifyingly glorious is happening. He is about to awaken and if he becomes a neoliberal during that awakening is really not the point.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 24, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CGI Stardust posted:

I look forward to people frantically trying to explain how it actually fucks us and being utterly ignored in the celebration of how wonderful Bojo is

Wow zero tariffs for families! I'm going to save so much money!

But seriously, of course the EU blinks at the last moment so Boris wins and we get hosed. It's just rich people pretending to be fighting each other.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The last generations having no survival instinct does explain why everyone seemed so ready to join up in the wars

None of them seem to give a gently caress about death. It's both admirable and deeply disturbing.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Happy Boxing Day, UKMT. Spent most of yesterday sleeping, recovering from work, and today got around to performing some filial duties and calling my dad.

Which was a mistake, because we ended up talking politics and now I feel like poo poo. Which is why I try not to ever talk politics with him, but there was only so much anecdotal Covid conspiracy talk I could handle before I interjected, and then he went, "CNN/BBC etc. are unreliable because they are taken over by the ideology of globalisation and leftism" crap, and I couldn't stop myself from pointing out that when he says "leftism", does he mean idpol, because it's certainly not anti-capitalism, and then he started on the "LGBT are interfering with and destroying people's private lives" and I just went off.

To be fair it was at least somewhat satisfying to point out I'd much rather have had two dads or two mums that actually loved each other instead of a "traditional values" heterosexual family with an abusive mother and an absent father that changes families every few years after he gets bored with them, and if I'd thought orphanage or foster family was an option at that time I would've taken that in an instant too. Still a pointless convo as it's not like he'd ever change his mind about any of it though, so in the end I just made myself super upset for no reason.

Guess I always had a pretty good idea of how bullshit the beliefs and views of both him and his circle are (racism, Trumpism, homophobia, you name it), seeing as there was quite a bit of prejudice I identified and found having to consciously overcome and unpack when I first started living independently, doing some soul-searching and realizing how toxic my upbringing was all those years back, but this was the first time I couldn't stop myself from going into it full-on, and actually hearing all this crap said out loud rather than just suspecting it definitely makes the difference.

I think the part that killed me the most was the absolute arrogance of conviction that those lovely opinions are 100% right and if you have an opposite opinion you must be uneducated youngling, coupled with the fact that most of those issues have absolutely 0% influence on their lives. I can't believe I used to have more than a shred of respect and even looked up to him growing up. Though granted, that might've been more due to the fact that he was never around so it took me longer to figure out there is nothing to respect, whereas I've burned out on any positive feelings towards my mother much earlier as she was directly abusive.

gently caress everything. Gonna have a drink and listen to some revolutionary rap now to convince myself to keep on living.

This is similar to my situation. Thing is my dad used to be a very understanding and friendly person and mostly still is. It's just everything seems to make him angry now. Lots of perceived slights to national pride, which he never really used to have. I read somewhere that outrage can be addictive. Like any other feeling, outrage is caused by chemicals in our brains and apparently you can become addicted to the precise ones responsible. I wonder if it's that simple. Got angry at something one to many times and now has to be angry all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lets kill them

edit: :twisted: