Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I re-watched it recently and the first season holds up even better than I remembered, I would actually say that I like it better than season four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Apoplexy posted:

Noooooo WAY. I'm re-watching S4 now and it, flatly, has the best pacing (at least when binged, but I don't recall thinking ANY differently when seeing it live... 4 years ago. God drat) this show ever did. I'm just up to Robbie busting out of the containment module and beating the gently caress out of Mace in episode 6.

In terms of production season 4 is probably the show at its best, and I know that it's a fan favourite, the pacing just feels way off. Ghost Rider is great, but he is also so powerful that the villains stands zero chance against him. The LMD arc is again well done. but just a little frustrating to watch, and in general I don't like the whole framework thing.

Apoplexy posted:

It's surprising how well they were able to convey the sense that Mace was slimy and untrustworthy in a managerial way, and worthy of suspicion early on and all, but allowing for him to be entirely sincere once the whole story was told. A good guy and a hero in his own respect, as much as anyone could be without the privilege of powers in that universe.

I found that really frustrating since nothing we see from Mace indicates that he is a bad guy. They make it clear several times that Coulson chose not to continue as director, yet he and the others keep pretending like Mace is somehow the villain. It's one of the few times where the main characters have outright acted like villains.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think we can all agree that Señor Scratchy is the star of Wandavision.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought the first two episodes were good, but this really took it up a notch. I like the sitcom format, but the overall story is why i'm watching.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am really happy to have Jimmy Woo in the MCU, very much enjoyed the episode.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Unless Disney had wildly unrealistic expectations those numbers actually sound really good. There was no way that it was ever going to compete with Mandalorian.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
They brought back the wrong Quicksilver

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

sticklefifer posted:

Unless they're going for a full recast for the inevitable X-Men integration

I can’t really see them keeping any of the current cast. The few great performances all happened in the original incarnation of the x-men movies, and the only ones I could see them want back is Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman, both of which are probably done with the roles.
Better to just start over and fix all the mistakes Sony made.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Showing a speedsters powers as everything being in slow motion is just so boring, and makes the power tedious to watch. So if they can take Evan Peters and combine him with MCU Quicksilver’s better visual look then that is fine.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

McSpanky posted:

I'd say "imagine being this wrong about super speed effects" but you're literally wrong about everything all the time so

I am noting that you can't express why you disagree with my opinion on pop culture, but are choosing to be an rear end in a top hat instead.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm a little confused about the reactions to the ending. Wanda is responsible for all the bad things happening, but Agatha has been secretly messing with her for reason we don't know. But none of the ending clips made it seem like Agatha was the one mind controlling people.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is something both funny and sad about fans making up theories in their head, and then getting mad at the showrunners for not making exactly that.

I thought it was a good finale to a great show, the only real problem I have is that Agnes as a character is a lot more fun than Agatha.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

XboxPants posted:

Hmm well what's your favorite recent Marvel show? MCU or mcu-adjacent. I though Jessica Jones was pretty loving great, awesome cast, though I never actually finished it so I wouldn't be surprised if it's another Marvel property that sorta sputters out at the end.

I heard good things about Legion, but also that it sorta varies wildly season to season? Anyway, would appreciate any recc's.

Legion is really good, and the closest you get to the feel of Wandavision. Agents of Shield is good solid action, and still my favorite Marvel tv.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There was originally going to be a scene where Señor Scratchy turned into a demon.

https://thedirect.com/article/wandavision-monica-ralph-senor-scratchy-demon-deleted-scene

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Dave Syndrome posted:

Am I missing something, or did the "Making of Wandavision" show not air today?
(I'm in Germany, so our Disney+ doesn't always get everything at the same time as America)

We have it here in Denmark. It's not under the WandaVision tab, but under Marvel Studios Assembled.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The special didn't tell us anything new, but I can still enjoy watching a group of actors have fun on set.
Kathryn Hahn and Teyonah Parris' enthusiasm were just really nice to watch.

One thing that surprised me was that Vision's face was mostly CGI, since it looks like practical makeup. I guess it was to make it easier to switch back and forth.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cyclical posted:

Hi, I'm here to inform you Bucky is really, really popular in MCU fandom and I can assure you 99% of those comments are legit. Because he's very popular, and Sam-and-Bucky as a duo are definitely coasting along nicely on that popularity.

Something Awful tends to be very cynical, for good and bad. Sometimes people here forget what is popular among average people.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was the same in this thread early on, many people didn’t like the sitcom style and preferred more standard mcu.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Varinn posted:

the biggest draw of this show is someone getting Marvel Money to do something ambitious/weird, so its wild that people just wanted a TV show version of a regular mcu movie. they're gonna keep making those

I think for most fans the biggest draw is more mcu. If you are a comicbook fan there are so many stories left to tell, and the movies are never going to be able to tell more than a fraction of them. If it's something new and interesting like WandaVision then that is a plus, but not needed.

McCloud posted:

Right. The studio clearly put in a lot of effort to trick people, not just within the show itself but by having the cast say poo poo like "oh i can't wait until you all find out who the aerospace engineer is" or "The final episode cameo will BLOW YOUR MIND". It's doing the sherlock thing where they tease something interesting and then just drop it entirely and call you an idiot for expecting a payoff.

Do you seriously think that the studio asked the cast to say these things? This is how movies work, actors get seriously exited about the stuff they are doing and you just need to take those statements with a grain of salt.
It's like Bettany's comment about the actor he wanted to work with, I can almost guarantee that he simply thought that was a funny joke, and didn't consider that some people would be grinding their teeth in anger.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Collapsing Farts posted:

Ultimates didn't age well but they were honestly a breath of fresh air when they came out in 2002 (was it so long ago :psyduck:). Well, the first 2 not the other dreck where the blob ate someone or whatever

They felt like a prototype test on how they could try to make marvel superheroes into something more akin to blockbuster action heroes

Avengers as a title had been in a slump for some years back then, and many of the core marvel heroes just weren’t doing well. Ultimates was a breath of fresh air for the whole property.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I love the fact that Sam was essentially denied a loan because he was snapped out of existence for five years and thus had no income..
The MCU sounds like it was a pretty terrible place after the snap and before people came back.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

apatheticman posted:

Sebastian Stan was the bomb in Kings.

Thank you for reading.

Kings was truly the bomb, it was where I discovered the glory that is Ian McShane

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was a little annoyed by the sister. First she was too proud to take the money, even though she knew Sam cared about the boat, and then she got angry with him for being away while he was saving the world.
She was also the second person in the episode, who victim blamed someone who got killed in the snap, I wonder if that is a common thing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't buy the Flag Smasher theory, they may not outright have talked about genocide, but the language they use it very common racist talk. "It was better before X group of people came here", "why are we spending resources on X group instead of 'our own'?". I could be totally wrong, but so far they are sending out some very bad signals.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I get the impression that the majority of people here have never read a superhero comic, and thus keep getting surprised when the shows and movies accurately portray superheroes from Marvel and DC.

I'm not trying to say there aren't plenty of things to criticize, but if you keep expecting a Marvel show to put the superheroes on hold, so they can tell a serious story about racism or loss, then the problem is that you are expecting something they never promised you would get.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just a reminder that Killmonger was never in any way good, he directly murdered several innocent people, and his accomplishes murdered more. And that’s not mentioning how problematic his ultimate plan is.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jennifer Lawrence only did the last few X-Men movies because they let her wear that terrible looking blue leotard instead of doing makeup.

To be fair, the idea that Mystique has to run around naked all the time is pretty dumb. It both looks bad, and it forces the actor to spend hours in the makeup chair for no reason.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m only finished with episode 2 but I really don’t see how the flagsmashers are the bad guys here, unless the idea of “one world one people” is suppose to be bad.

They stole medicine, tried to kill Sam and Bucky, and they think the world was better off when half the population was dead. At the very least they are callous and cruel, and that is besides everything we don’t know about them yet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Kaedric posted:

This is some pretty wild spin.

I'm not ruling out that the government is actually corrupt, and that the flag smashers are basically Robin Hood and redistributing wealth to the ones who need it.

But even before the event in episode 3 they were using a lot of ambiguous language. And I am mostly just leaning on the side of being proven that they are actually good guys, instead of the opposite.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think this episode did a better job at making Karli and the others sympathetic I can easily imagine that the post snap world was idyllic for some, though not matter how good things were, it was still at the cost of 4 billion lives.

But the fact that all the flag smashers just accepted her murdering 3 people, plus the events of this episode just confirms that it’s a terrorist group, a sympathetic one, but ultimately they use violence and murder to further their political goals.

The scene with Walker snapping after the death of his friend was great, I find him slightly more sympathetic than Karli, but we obviously knew that he was going to do something bad, it was just a matter of what it was.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Marvel should really just do a cheap show without superheroes that is all about the post-snap and post-blip world.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's clearly Mephisto

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Still the best MCU villain.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's pretty clear in the movie that Natasha is referring to being turned into an assassin.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Before Fox was bought by Disney they commissioned Noah Hawley to write a script for a Doctor Doom movie.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

live with fruit posted:

What's the deal with the Green Goblin? Does he wear a mask? Does his face change color?

It's just a mask.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Bust Rodd posted:

What exactly do you need to see? They were literally raided by the police at the beginning of the 3rd episode, they’ve been shown to have no access to food and medicine, just kids in ragged coats playing in the street...

I don't think the show has said that they lack food, the flag smashers claim that the government is hoarding medicine, but the flag smashers worldview has also been shown to be extremely biased and one-sided.

An undercurrent of the whole show (and in Wandavision too) is how messed up things are after the blip, and yes there are displaced people. Karli and her group are radicalized terrorists who are willing to murder anyone who disagrees with their messed up worldview, it's obviously not a sane reaction to a worldwide crisis.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Barry Convex posted:

This is absolutely what they're doing for all their upcoming theatrical releases, not just Marvel Studios films. note that Black Widow is a theatrical/Premier Access hybrid, whereas Jungle Cruise, releasing later the same month, is still officially theatrical-only for now. Right now, things are looking reasonably good for the viability of a theatrical-only release in September, let alone November, but that could change.

anyway who's ready for even more award-winning middle-aged actresses in the MCU

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1384177081832017937

Olivia Colman is truly great

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Floppychop posted:

Did they loving cancel it?

edit: they loving did. goddammit. Peter Serafinowicz was amazing in it.

He was good, but Patrick Warburton is the best Tick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought Sam's speech felt a little silly given that the flag smashers just tried to murder a bunch of world leaders. How many more chances is he going to give a bunch of cold blooded killer?

I must have misunderstood something, I thought the plan was for there to be a new MCU show continuously, I assume there are no plans until Loki premieres in 1½ month.