Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Edmund Lava posted:

As someone who’s favorite childhood villains were Thanos and Mojo I would simply ascend.

I remember reading a crazy marvel-novel when I was a kid that involved Mojoworld and I think there's plenty of potential to do an interesting show with that setting/character. However, f they aren't going to do it in Wandavision with it explicitly tying in to T.V. shows throughout history then I doubt they'll do it anytime soon, since I recall Mojo tying in significantly to the use of television/the media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gavok posted:

I have to imagine the scene of Wanda confronting SWORD was directly inspired by Magneto vs. the police from the first X-Men movie just to setup the Pietro reveal later.

Seems plausible to me!

So many high points this episode, and the best one so far in my opinion. Norm's acting display there kind of stole the show for me, it was really compelling to see that sudden shift of personality in one take, though that's probably a cakewalk for a serious actor to do .

I'm sure they're going to top this and have a barnstorming finale, but holy cow this hit a lot of dramatic high points.

SWORD definitely shouldn't be claiming any moral high ground when they did some freaky disassembling poo poo to a dead Avenger who had a living will that basically boiled down to "don't try to break me down and figure me out, beloved humans!.

I don't think this this show is leading directly into Mutants in the MCU as has been pretty widely speculated (though I would be just fine with that, the sooner I get X-men and other mutants in the MCU the better), but that line from Darcy about recasting Pietro made me really think that Disney's got some drat clever people involved, since I found it really cute to have this type of recasting called out as such within the reality of the Wandavision series. This now seems like the ultimate move to pull whenever you want to do a big or contentious recasting: just set up a really interesting show set in a fake T.V. reality and call it out when you do it, it's so simple!

Infinitum posted:

God imagine if Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness is just the main half of the House of M storyline with Doctor Strange going around restoring all the Heroes memories to fight Wanda

It'd be a hell of a thing if the series doesn't wrap up in a fairly tight bow, and instead leads into a big mess (not Thanos snap level mess, but still quite big) that only a MCU movie can resolve. I wouldn't want them to do that all the time, but it'd be a hell of a thing to do with your first big deal MCU show right out of the gate and it'd be very on brand with how one of the big things that made the MCU a hit with audiences was how interconnected the movies were.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

By the way, I was fine with Jimmy Woo knowing some Endgame fight details because it makes sense that as part of going along with the Sokovia accords some people who generally get along with formal authorities, like Falcon or War Machine, gave somebody an after-action report breaking down what went down in the crazy fight against the universe's greatest criminal. Maybe the juicier bits like time travel didn't get spread around much, but of course there'd be a bit of a record about how it all went down.

If nothing else, Thor could absolutely have gone to get drunk in a bar after the big fight and spilled lots of details.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

:psyduck: oh my god... The "For the children" phrase wasn't about trying to convince Wanda to have children, it was everyone talking about following this messy theater of torture for their children's safety. "Those little girls and boys are counting on us. All of this, it's for the children." Someone is using the town's children as leverage or something.

This possibility just occurred to me while I was watching the end of episode 5 again and I was coming to post exactly this! I feel like that's got to be where they're going with this. In lots of mind control fiction giving the people being controlled a reason to accept being controlled is usually an element that factors in to making the system work. I remember the Matrix involved a similar element where Neo and other humans being free helped maintain the overall simulation in some way.

I don't know how they'd make it work with the Hawkeye comics run they seem to be adapting about him helping out an apartment complex, but having it be set basically on and around his farm and making his wife and kids solid supporting characters in it seems like it would be fun.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 6, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

tsob posted:

Norm didn't seem like he was accepting it at all.

Accept may not be the best way to put it. I meant to get across more the idea that the mind is at least partially willing to accept being controlled (or that there would be significant negative consequences if they tried to struggle against it) and isn't constantly rebelling/trying to break free. Plus hey, it'd make sense that not everyone in Westview had kids so that particular method of control may not be as strong for everybody.

Strange being the secret mind-controlled battery powering this whole reality altering situation would be absolute bananas. This barrier around Westview isn't all that different from the Mirror Dimension situation, and we've seen him turn one thing into another thing and create illusions during the minute they let him off the chain to do crazy Dr. Strange magic things against Thanos in Infinity War. I'd call it not likely and it's not my personal preference because I'd rather see Wanda be powered up enough to be doing all this on her own (or manifesting it through someone manipulating her, but it's still her powers causing it), but I'd say it's certainly possible.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 6, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm very on board for the "pull back the curtain" reveal of exactly how the Westview situation began through some flashbacks, and I hope we get that in episode 7 or 8.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Definitely another good episode, and I liked Pietro's characterization as both the man-child uncle and the guy who just wants to talk to Wanda about what's going on. Plenty of other little things to like too, like the tension between Vision and Wanda. Episode 5 is still the high watermark that the show has to surpass though, and like all shows with a bit of a mystery it's usually that last episode that reveals what's really been going on and resolves things for the various characters that ends up being the best one of the season or series.

A secret SWORD army of Vision bots definitely seems quite plausible now. The reminder of how much everything went to poo poo during the 5 years everyone was gone makes me think they just ignored Vision's will and started trying to make killer robots while keeping it low-key so the Avengers and Tony Stark didn't notice what was up. With how this is playing out Hayward has to have a card to play that'll stupidly escalate things and make things worse, so that seems like a pretty obvious possibility.

All of reality on earth being altered or rewritten is something that's happened quite a few times in Marvel comics beyond just the House of M, so while that feels like too major a thing to have happen on a Disney+ show, if they want to really go all-in and make Wanda's powers completely off the chain it's not like it wouldn't be backed by plenty of comics precedent. I'd put my money on "Wanda starts expanding the Hex to cover everything, but gets talked down by Monica and Vision and convinced to shut it all down" personally.

I'm also fully expecting a big ol' cameo or new MCU character that comics fans will know to tease what Wanda will be up to the next time we see her, or as part of resolving this mess. Hell I'll take a big swing and suggest that Disney actually managed to keep a secret and when Wanda's at a pivotal psychological breaking point of deciding to try to just Hex the planet or let it end and lose Vision, Chris Evans will pop up as Captain America (manifesting as Wanda's powers creating a version of him) to give a really good Cap speech and make her let it all go. MCU fans would love it and I think it would be a nice allusion to the time they spent together training and bonding in that time between Avengers 2 and Infinity War. We're all expecting a different cameo, and that'd still be satisfying and make sense to me, but if Wanda's control is slipping to the point where she subconsciously made a Pietro out of thin air, just like she made her kids, then I think Cap appearing in a similar way to Pietro (and with a similar knowledge of what she's been up to) would be interesting.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me, it's a gigantic stretch on my part but I got a good giggle when Pietro told Wanda she could rely on him to be the male chaperone for the kids because "I've got the XY gene!"

Ha, I didn't pick up on that in that way but that's pretty cute. They should just have Pietro keep trolling us by making minor x-men references.

"Vision looks pretty rough, I know a good metalworker who might be able to patch him up."

"The government's being rough on you eh Sis? Eh, I'm used to it, just let me know if you need some help."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Phylodox posted:

I think the problems she created will probably be resolved by the end of the show. If I had to guess, I think Dr. Strange is going to teach her how to control her powers so she doesn't unconsciously do something like this again or destroy the universe or create a bunch of mutants.

I think a redemption arc/I need to atone kind of vibe would make sense for Wanda in Multiverse of Madness, based on how things seem likely to pan out here. I definitely think it's much more likely she'll be a hero in that movie than the source of the multiverse problem or a villain.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Wanda creating a villain to make herself feel like this isn't her fault would be pretty amazing, and sounds like the most interesting story path that could be taken from here to close things out. I don't think they'll do that, since it seems like one step too far away from the traditional beats of the MCU for a show that's already been really unlike anything else the MCU has done and that doesn't give you the easy "but she was manipulated!" path back to Wanda being a superhero, but that reveal feels like it would fit right in to this show and make a lot of sense.

Seems like episode 8 will unpack what really has gone down and fill in a lot of story gaps, and then 9 can be a big flashy superhero fight and the denouement.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The X-men are definitely a big enough deal to be in heaps of movies, but if they had the X-men basically just in a Disney Plus series or two with brief movie cameos it seems like it'd be a strong way to drive more subscriptions to their already wildly popular subscription service.

I'd get a real kick out of an X-men series that has them dusting it up with all sorts of villains from the comics as each season builds up to a confrontation with a major big bad, and it'd be a nice change from the typical formula of having 1-2 villains per movie or series.

Overall I'm content knowing that we'll absolutely get Avengers vs. X-men with a MCU level of budget and polish someday, and that's going to be a lot of fun. Having an X-men series running for awhile and making that the big pay-off movie would be a grand time.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

double negative posted:

if the actor bettany wanted to act with for so long was himself that's funny as poo poo

still spent the majority of the episode wanting to revisit monica and (fake) pietro

Man, if he reveals he was trolling everyone by giving that answer, I'll really appreciate him livening up the usual press tour by doing that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

A surprise episode out of nowhere would be a lot of fun. Make episode 9 a big cliffhanger, or have it seem like it wraps things up, then put up a 10th episode completely unannounced the next day. The media blitz about it will be better advertising than anything else you'd normally do, and it's a good way to do a TV version of the post-credits surprise that's served Marvel well many times.

It seems like a no-brainer positive move to make with one of the shows that's based on a huge property (Star Wars or Marvel) at some point, and when you run your own streaming service you can do stuff like that whenever you want and not piss off advertisers or TV execs or anything.

I guess the only risk is once you do it once people will want you to do it more often, or even all the time, and be disappointed when you announce 8 episodes or whatever down the line and only give them what you said you were going to.

Still, this seems like the type of Marvel show to do that with, if you're going to do it with any. The show already has me really excited to see what they do with Wanda in the future, and I can easily picture her getting her own solo movie down the line, or just continuing to headline fun streaming series. They've done a lot to build up her character now, so I'm very on board with seeing more of her.

Oh, and the subversion of the Salem Witch Trials at the start was pretty cute.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 26, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I wouldn't say they completely stuck the landing here, but they did a better job of it than I was expecting, and I liked the small bits of Wanda in full-power magic mode we got. My take on the last bit is that she was practicing controlling a physical clone of herself she'd made out of nothing with chaos magic while simultaneously studying the Darkhold, or maybe using the Darkhold to help her pull off that feat. That seems like a fun tease of "Wanda's gonna be able to do some messed up stuff folks!" It'd also be a sensible thing for her to be studying since if she got that trick down, weaving a fresh spell that involved creating physical forms for the husband and kids she'd just lost and restoring their minds into them (without that mess of being tied in to the Westview situation) could let her bring them all back into regular ol' reality.

I think a second season further exploring the character and having her track down her kids with restored-vision's help, probably just straight up mucking about in hell[/spoiler[ would be a fun time. Her pursuing [spoiler]knowledge about how to save her kids seems like a natural tie in to the Dr. Strange movie (and gives her a more interesting potential arc there than just "I want you to teach me about magic Sorcerer Supreme Senpai", and I'm excited to see the inevitable "our heroes fight each other a bit" and "our heroes team up for one or two big flashy fights" sequences that would result from her being in the movie.

Overall it's been a very fun ride, and they've very successfully elevated both Wanda and Vision into much more compelling characters while also scaling up Wanda to be a much bigger deal wherever she may pop up going forward. I could easily see them treating her as basically the magic version of the Hulk in the MCU going forward, in terms of how they utilize her. I also think they laid the groundwork to have her be the reason Mutants pop up later or become a major threat for the Avengers to oppose. At this point I'm sure they weren't throwing around terms like "You have no idea what you've done!" and "You're going to cause an apocalypse" without plans to pay that off later.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Blaise330 posted:

Some psychologists are gonna make loving BANK, off of this, especially if they don't have the ethics to admit they and noone else is qualified to help them through it

"A god being shattered your and thousands of people perception of free will making you realize you're an expendable extra in their infinitely more important life because your might is helpless against theirs? Lets schedule 3 sessions a week, do you have insurance?"

"Oh and this happened literally right after half of everyone on Earth just came back? And half of you were adjusting to returning to life after missing five years of time, and the other half were adjusting to suddenly having these loved ones back?

Better make it 4 sessions a week."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Even stuff like the Raft of the comics, and Arkham Asylum as a DC comparison, are hilariously prone to spontaneous breakouts of various sizes. When you're up against a comics villain with even fairly mild superpowers, the only good options are to convince them to voluntarily sit in jail/accept a punishment, get leverage and force them to do things that are at least hero-adjacent (your Suicide Squad and Thunderbolts route), talk them into retirement/a life of peace, or put them in the ground.

Anyway, I think that's the perspective if you're looking at it purely pragmatically and with cold unfeeling logic.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ultimates Cap and MCU Cap are definitely orders of magnitude stronger than 616 comics Cap, but I think even ol' 616 has plenty of wild strength/speed feats out there, since as with all characters what they can do will vary somewhat based on the writer. Ultimates and MCU have a higher baseline to work from though.

The Ultimates, Ultimate Spider-Man, and Ultimate X-men had their ups and down, but I really liked a lot of the swings those stories took. Volume 1 of the Ultimates in particular does a hell of a job of presenting an edgy "not your papa's Avengers" team while not going too far in that direction, and I thought both the writing and the art on it was really good. Overall that Ultimate universe was a good idea, and I'm sure we'll get something like it in Marvel comics eventually to keep things fresh/mix things up and present the characters once again in a way that lets them set aside the heaps of continuity/history they have while also not presenting it as just short miniseries or one-shots in universes that don't really get to grow/tie together.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

LionArcher posted:

I also appreciate that he legit thinks he’s right and ain’t tempted.

Yeah, it was a total tossup for me on if he'd take it in a "gotta be a monster to fight monsters" mentality or stick to his ideals.

My big takeaway from this episode is that literally every hero (and John Walker) needs to learn how to keep an eye on or spot the bad guys that they really should constantly be keeping track of.

That bit with the Dora and Bucky's arm was a nice touch that I didn't see coming.

For me Wandavision is still absolutely beating Falcon and WS on the story front, but this show definitely has better action. I have high hopes for Loki, since it seems like it's going to blend the high concept factor of Wandavision while having quippier dialogue and enhancing the action with a bit more special effects flourishes while not going full Wanda/Agatha flying CGI fight. And don't get me wrong, I'm a total sucker for that kind of thing and I'll gladly take as much of it as the MCU will give me, but I think there's more potential for fun action when it's more grounded and only going 25% or 50% of the way with the CGI flourishes.

I also wish they went full measure with the ending and had Walker straight up decapitate a dude with the shield cutting through 'em like a hot knife through butter. There's tons of precedent in marvel comics for showing graphic violence but in an artisticly-censored way, and even as a proper Disney PG-13 MCU show I think they could've gotten that idea across without making it too graphic for kids. They even had the body end up with its head hidden by some scenery, all it would take is adjusting the positioning a bit and having the shield slams (or even just the last shield slam) come down around the neck and we'd get the picture.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 9, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

JohnnySavs posted:

Banner shouldn't be overlooked in the MCU's selfless, noble hero list. He knew the gauntlet could have killed him and he still used it only to do the most good possible and then never use it again.

Funny how that turned out. He's probably got very complicated feelings about how bringing back half the universe played out.

I wouldn't expect it to be too complicated. Even if losing half the population resulted in the utopia Thanos was hoping for (which it definitely didn't) and created a true unified earth without borders or wars, billions of lives is an unfathomably high price to pay for that.

Endgame was already stacked to the gills, but it would have been interesting if during one of the scenes (maybe during the grief counseling scene or while Natasha and Cap are hanging out) they pointed out some of the things that had improved, kind of as a way to try to cheer themselves or others up. While I don't think any debate about whether to bring everyone back or not holds water, I think the world starting to be on the right track after 5 years would have been more intriguing than the impression Endgame gave of everything barely holding together and garbage piling up in the streets.

Also I may have had the wrong idea on how that last scene went down, just with how it was edited it didn't seem they went to the extreme. But with the way the last shot is framed and how the Shield looks, it seems pretty likely that what I wanted to have happened happened, they just toned it down to basically the maximum you could. Which hey, that makes sense I suppose for the Mouse.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 11, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

live with fruit posted:

That's what I get for not double checking.

Regarding the big cameo, it's funny because they hyped it up as this big actor with numerous awards and all that's true but also people were talking about Meryl Streep so there's probably going to be some mad nerds out there. Not me, though. I loved it.

Yeah I was quite happy that they showed up, and it's cool that they're going to be sprinkled into the MCU here and there. A very talented actor obviously, and I've always been happy to see them in basically anything, though I still have quite a bit of T.V. that they've been in to watch still. It just seems like a really fun fit and an interesting character from the little bit we've see, and while I'm sure they're either directly a Marvel character or heavily based on one I don't know who it would be off the top of my head, and as a fairly big marvel nerd that'll be exciting to find out down the line.

Gonna be fun to see Sam kicking rear end with the shield, probably a fresh Wakandan-made Captain America suit w/fancy wings, and all sorts of Wakandan tech in the finale.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It was pretty obvious in the previous episode that Sharon was the Power Broker, and it also seems pretty obvious that she intentionally gave the SSS to Karli as a long con to get back into the US government. I think signs point to her being a Skrull.

I could see Skrull Sharon being a thing, it's an easy excuse to bring back a heroic agent Carter. I think it's more interesting and more likely that she' just getting her double agent get rich lifestyle on though.

A fun finale, and a nice outfit for Sam that reminded me more of the comics than I was expecting. Wandavision still has the "Best Disney+ MCU show" crown by quite a bit in my mind, but Loki's got a lot going for it and it's hard to picture it not being a ton of fun. That seems like it's going to quickly become the show to beat.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Tracking down Gamora doesn't seem like it would have to be all that difficult. I could definitely see the Holiday special being entirely focused on having the characters bounce off each other as they pretty much hang out together and do some mild adventuring, with everyone (but Quill in particular) acknowledging that she isn't the person they lost, but they want her to be a part of their life anyway and start rebuilding some of those bonds. End with Quill convincing her to dance a little to a christmas song and you're good to go from there.

If Gunn would rather make renegade badass non-Guardian Gamora a proper thing in Guardians vol. 3 that's a perfectly valid way to go, but I can see the argument that the runtime/plot of that movie could be improved if that conflict's already resolved through a combination of Love and Thunder setting up where she is and the holiday special having the guardians interact with her.

I trust James Gunn and the marvel crew to figure it all out and deliver a satisfying movie.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm down for a Cap 4 movie starring Anthony Mackie. Another series would be nice too, and I'd be surprised if they don't do one eventually, but it'll be fun to see what kind of good looking action spectacle and story they come up with in a movie format. I'm curious who they come up with for the main villain. Dr. Faustus comes to mind, but I think mass mind control would be too similar a dynamic to the Flag Smasher flash mobs.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 24, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

gently caress, Cap 4 really honing in on America's issues and having that Americop stuff go down and Cap fight against that would be wild. I can't imagine the mouse going for it, and it'd piss half the country off, but I'd be so on board to see Sam Wilson in full Cap attire swoop in to stop privately hired non-government cops from shooting a few black kids, then beating the crap out of them while under that thin veneer of "they aren't actual cops, it's a whole corporate structure of only bad apples!" to hide behind. Hell, add a regular-rear end cop trying to shield the kids with their body if you need to, I just wanna see Cap punching some folks who are virtually indistinguishable from cops.

I remember those Sam Wilson Captain America comics went right on in with American racial issues and the police/justice system, and kudos to Marvel for that. I'm sure Cap 4 won't shy away from acknowledging that, but those comics went in on it HARD and I'd be shocked if they'd be willing to do it in a movie.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Costume looks pretty legit to me.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'd love to see Charlie Cox brought in to the MCU as daredevil. Feels like a real missed opportunity if you don't have Marvel's two most famous lawyers on opposing sides in a court case, or on the same time teaming up against some evil corporation.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I was hoping it wasn't the "Loki's gotta go after himself" situation I expected because while that's bound to be fun and interesting, it also seemed like the obvious way to go. Making it a Lady Loki path would take a lot of the sting out of that though.

With all the multiverse stuff in the pipeline the TVA has to end up either basically destroyed or with their mission drastically changed as part of this series, and I'm on board to see how that goes down. I could see Loki convincing the Time Keepers in a God to God sitdown that allowing a multiverse is the best path and it won't lead to the destructive consequences it has in the past. Sell it as a way to return true choice and freedom to everyone, instead of putting them onto one set and locked "sacred" path through life. Then the series could end with this Loki variant being turned loose into one of the newly created multiverses, or agreeing to stick around to help supervise this new multiverse system and make sure nobody gets too crazy with it (which could lead to appearances in future MCU projects as part of that role).

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Definitely a solid episode. I also like that Lady Loki was doing arguably a better form of mind control (direct possession) with no Mind Stone assistance, right after our Loki got beaten after doing that with the Mind Stone in Avengers. Kind of a nice way to get across that she's better than he is.

They can go lots of fun directions from here, and things are definitely escalating faster than I thought they would. The two major things that happen at the end are the sort of things you'd expect to happen as start of the big third act of the overall show, so I'm very intrigued by what the actual big third act escalation/fight scene will be.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

There's definitely room for characters like Kang to show up earlier on their timeline than we see them in later MCU stuff. I was kind of expecting the captured agent to turn out to be Ravonna at another point in their timeline, since time works differently at the TVA. There's kind of enough "duplicate of a character because they're at another point in time/from a different timeline" stuff going on already, but I feel like the show won't be able to resist doing that a bit more.

Like most time-travel stuff I'm expecting there to be lots of time-hopping into the earlier events of the show to fix things, maybe made possible by the timeline being on the verge of totally screwed but not quite there yet, so you can get away with doing the sorts of things that the TVA normally can't.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Some fun plot developments, and the two leads bounced off each other really well. I liked that they both had a british-y thing going on too, and I've enjoyed having the show just lean into that and go "why not" with little things like Loki saying he wanted the other variant to be his left-tenant.

I'm fully expecting that we'll get a reveal that we as the audience were tricked in some way with what we saw and heard onscreen in this episode. It seems like a real missed opportunity to team up two Lokis and then just not give us anything revealing that one tricked the other. One legit trick could be that Loki hid the actual Tempad right when they arrived, then conjured up a fake (and making it a real thing which ties back in to the illusion vs. matter alteration/creation or whatever distinction that Loki talked about in episode 2). The other obvious possibility is that Hiddleston's Loki got enchanted, the other variant lied about how their enchantment powers work, and we've just been seeing a long drawn-out hallucination since then.

Really, the optimal outcome is that both of them somehow landed major tricks on each other, and it comes down to whose trick is slightly better.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I think Loki was also pulling his punches in the fight at the end of episode 2, not wanting to hurt innocent people. I think seeing his future and Mobius' talk really got to him, so while he's not in a full good-guy Loki mode like he was at the end of Thor: Ragnarok, he's started to care about people at least a little instead of thinking of them just as sheep to be herded. He also expresses regret that everybody's going to die near the end of episode 3, which lends some more meat to this theory.

There's still a lot on the table that could explain more about what's been going on in this episode. This is also the longest we've seen Loki outside of the TVA by far, and there's ample time for him to have picked up all sorts of useful things (another TimPad, some infinity stones) off camera from one of those lockers or elsewhere in the TVA while no one was watching him.

I feel like they'll go ahead and do a reveal of some sort next episode to recontextualize episode 3, but I'm kind of hoping they wait until episode 5 or 6 and keep sprinkling in some "wait, wtf was that" moments that clue us in that something weird is going on, while waiting to explain what all that weird stuff was until right before the finale.

Oh, and I'm convinced the TVA's for sure getting properly blown up by the end of the show. They keep adding in more little wrinkles that make them outright nefarious, and I think that's intentionally done so that when the whole system gets unraveled by the end of the series we're on board for it. It's also such a feel-good layup to have a mind-restored Mobius riding a Jet-Ski with his family on some new timeline/multiverse and I don't think they'll miss the chance to do that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm seeing some people call episode 3 filler, but I think it got a lot done. You really needed the two Lokis to get lots of time together, and making this episode all about them was a good choice. It could have been better executed in some ways, but the core plot and idea of it didn't come across as filler to me.

After spending a lot of time in the TVA and more normal sets, I quite liked the return of full CG environments, alien set dressing, and plenty of action in the mix.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

We know a single person can become a variant multiple times, like the many Lokis we've seen.

So, I'm thinking the person bringing in all the trinkets to Judge Renslayer that Mobius commented on, is another version of Mobius. Which is why she was so cagey about revealing who they were.

That's why there were also the coffee stains in different places, it wasn't our Mobius putting the cup down in different spots each time, it was variant Mobiuses each putting their cups down in their own variant spot.

I think that'd be a cute way to make Renslayer's "all those stains are from you" line work in a different way.

Rewatching the clip in question, it's got some dust flowing back up, the music kind of reverses for a bit, and it looks like Loki quickly makes a gesture like he's grabbing something out of thin air right before it, though his hand is quickly empty right after that. I'd call some sort of time shenanigan at least plausible for now.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I wonder how much it would cost Disney to actually make that show. That 26 episode, episodic "mystery of the week" show that only has a vague overarching plot that doesn't really matter enough to force you to watch every episode in a row. 24 minute run time and just having fun. Doesn't even need a bunch of special effects. But would require the same actors. $500 million?

They won't do it with Loki, but I think they'll eventually do a full-bore properly MCU-set show on Disney+ that follows the traditional network TV model of 20+ episodes a year, probably with one of their more ground-level heroes and in a format that'd work as something like a procedural or even an outright comedy. If it happens, it'll be after they've really gone through heaps of characters in more limited series and movies, and it'll involve characters whose powers won't break the budget. If it weren't for those pesky costly mutant powers, something like a high school drama set at Xavier's school of mutants would be a candidate.

If I could only pitch one idea for that type of show, actually, it'd be to do it without any front and center superheroes at all and make it more about characters bouncing around the various shows and canon of the MCU in a similar way to how early Agents of Shield did, but now with the benefit of being fully embraced and very rarely (because these characters wouldn't have much impact on most stuff at the superhero-level) getting that classic "shout out one MCU project in another MCU project" treatment. Do a show about the Daily Bugle and feature journalists trying to cover all sorts of crazy superhero news, expose evil stuff that Roxxon's getting up to, go after some MCU politicians, and so on. J.J. Jameson can cameo here and there as the former owner of the Bugle who got kicked out and is doing fringe internet/podcast stuff now (similar to his current position in the comics). And since lots of MCU stuff goes down in New York, there's lots of stuff to tie-in there. The characters with powers who properly show up there are the D-listers of Marvel, but it shouldn't be too hard to include quick literal 10-second short interview spots with public heroes (such as the fantastic four when they show up) as just a quick scene added on to the shooting session of any given Disney+ show or movie. This also avoids the perils of trying to do something like a cop procedural now, or to a lesser extent a government agent show.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'd certainly watch a show like that, and I imagine Disney could pop out 13 episodes of it on the cheap and then start extending it from there if it starts catching on.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Azhais posted:

Like what if shield had agents of some variety

Yeah that's the obvious comparison to what I have in mind, but I'm envisioning something that basically has almost no SFX shots/CGI at all, and AoS always had elements of that floating throughout the episodes. I think they'll reach the point where there's enough of that high-cost and cool looking stuff happening across various MCU properties, and that'll open up room for a low-CGI and character focused show to work. We're probably also nearing the point where we've been given the impressive superhero spectacle enough times that it will be less interesting to the public at large, and going the other way may capture people's attention.

If they do it at all soon (which they won't, but it's fun to imagine they would), then "news company and its various employees deal with the fallout of half the population vanishing and reappearing five years later" is already a plenty interesting premise. There's plenty of meat on that bone to be gnawed on, and based it around a news organization lets it believably touch on almost any corner of the world. Even if they refer to it as an event that happened 10-15 years ago, it's by far the biggest thing to have happened in all of human history in the MCU. I imagine it could have some ripple effects that would be interesting to explore, and not something that normal people and governments have just fixed and "gotten past" quickly.

I'm also on that low-CGI kick because its use has become such a prominent calling card in the MCU. By and large the effects are done very well, but I think limiting it and doing things more practically when necessary can be a very successful formula. The Netflix Marvel shows are the obvious point of comparison there.

Pennyworth is a very valid comparison to what I have in mind. There's been SO MUCH Batman media produced between live-action T.V. shows, movies, and animated shows, just like there's been SO MUCH MCU stuff put out there. But there's a fun show to be had by drilling down into one supporting aspect or minor character of the property.

I also think people would get a kick out of seeing a fictional news team digging around into fictional very bad things and exposing them to the public. Think Spotlight but extended into a series and not delving into a topic that super bums you out. Then you throw the occasional super-hero thing into the mix to liven things up, and away you go.

I'm frankly surprised that the other famous fictional comics newspaper/organization of record, the Daily Planet, hasn't already had a show focused on the press side of things. There's got to be a way to crack that as well, and in terms of escapism it has the further advantage of looking at events happening in fully fictional cities like Metropolis and Gotham.

That's all just wild speculation and theorizing, but it seems like a sensible way to further build out the world of the MCU. It probably won't happen anytime soon though, and I expect it'll take them actually putting out a few poorly reviewed and performing shows or movies in a row for them to want to take a flyer on really anything that's truly "ground level" and has a limited amount of superpowered intrigue.

Everyone posted:

Or MCU X-Files with Kat Dennings and Randall Park investigating weird supers stuff.

I think something like this is way more likely than my newspapery idea, since I'm sure that'd have broader appeal. It's also very smart to start something like this by bringing in characters that are already established in the MCU, and so far it's basically just a brief JJJ cameo on the Newsie front there. And I guess there was some Newsie stuff in the Netflix shows, but I'm sure they won't bring any of that in properly.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 4, 2021

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, someone on twitter pointed out that both of them shouldn't feel any cold at all and they were just making excuses to cuddle.

Ha I totally didn't think of that at all, that's actually pretty drat great. Even better if that's just something that people who are willing to apply their brains to a scene (unlike me) pick up too. And triple goodness since the scene still works if you don't take that into account.

Azhais posted:

It's Johnny Five Aces

Picture four Lokis on the edge of a cliff.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Gonz posted:

I’m pretty sure that Loki got sent to a universe where he never met Mobius or anyone else at the TVA.

I expect that's what went down. Infinite branching timelines will mean infinite TVAs as well. I'm feeling pretty content with this ending, and I'm glad that they confirmed another season will be coming. With how much fun this season's been, and with lots of the table setting/exposition stuff out of the way, I'd be on board with as many seasons of Loki: time travel (and now multi-versal time travel) adventures featuring the drama of basically the ultimate star-crossed love as he tries to work things out with Sylvie. There's lots of fun ways to go with this next season too, and hopefully with the pandemic causing fewer issues we'll see the next season within two years from now. If there are two seasons and they were filmed back to back, I guess that'd be a much shorter wait! It also would help explain why this season was only six episodes.

I wouldn't call this an out-of-the-park home run of an ending, but none of the MCU Disney+ shows have really had that. And I don't blame them, endings are tough! I think all the shows so far have had good endings though, and this one came the closest to a great ending in my opinion.

I also watched the Tomorrow War right before this episode, and man the whiplash from really nonsensical time-travel stuff to fun time-travel stuff was quite something.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

8one6 posted:

I like Holland as Spider-Man, Sony like him as Spider-Man, marvel, audiences etc all like him as Spider-Man and it's not like the Uncharted movie is going to launch a franchise so there's no reason not to back a money truck up to his house for more movies.

Holland's not immediately thrilled with the prospect of doing three more movies based on the interviews I've seen, though he's saying he's had a fantastic time as Spider-man and isn't necessarily against continuing with the role, and that's exactly the way I'd be playing things if I didn't have a contract committing me to more movies in a franchise and wanted to get some proper Robert Downey Jr. level dump trucks of money sent my way. Recent cinematic history has also shown that no matter how much money it takes, getting an actor that's established themselves in the role results in an essentially guaranteed return on that investment in a way that recasting or doing a different take on the character just doesn't. Eventually there will be a recasting of a major franchise lead that still results in a big box office (I thought Black Panther would result in this for awhile), and that'll probably reduce these dump truck offers to more reasonable levels, but until then I'm all for actors I like to see getting big payouts while the getting is good.

I'm fully expecting Holland to end up in that rich has hell celebrity tier that buys a big stake into a line of alcohol and various other companies and just gets even richer that way (ala George Clooney, Dwayne Johnson, and Ryan Reynolds).

As for the definitely Kingpin bits of the episode, while not unexpected it was still a very pleasant surprise, and it's risen my No Way Home expectations dangerously high.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Crashbee posted:

(Ultimate) Hawkeye once took down a whole group of people by detaching his fingernails and using them as a weapon

Yeah that was a fun one. Ultimate Hawkeye really got put through the wringer, but it was fun having him be literally bullseye. It also helped establish why he was on a super-hero team and helped him keep up at least a little bit with the likes of Iron Man and Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

tsob posted:

I did like that Ethan Hunt/Harrow did come off as a genuinely good person just trying to help Marc/Stephen in their mind palace/death sorting house. Hunt got to play him as a hero and a villain, kinda. I'm kind of surprised we didn't get any indication of the third casket/persona at all this episode though. I assume it'll come up next episode, but it feels like it should have gotten some bit of play this episode if it's gonna happen at all.

When Harrow was trying to give legit good psych advice in the episode, and with it being very clear that the whole environment is a construct that Marc's creating, I think the Harrow we've seen after Marc's death is him manifesting a force that'll make him confront the things he doesn't want to in order for him to reach a state of mental balance and improve his mental health. However, since Marc definitely doesn't want to do that, the person who is pushing him towards these things he wants to avoid manifests as Harrow. The "this psych ward is what's real" idea that Harrow pushes is harder to interpret. I could see that being a way to give some sugar with the bitter medicine in a "I want you to confront your mental issues, but to help make that easier for you I'll create a reality that lets you believe that you didn't run around killing loads of people" kind of way.

We'll definitely get a new personality in the mix for the big finale, and I hope what happened to Stephen sticks because that's the more interesting way to go. Bringing a new personality on board would let the DID aspect of the character keep going, and also leave the audience curious for what this new dynamic might be like, even if it's in a "leave them wanting more/the adventures continue" way and we don't see much more of Moon Knight in the MCU after this.

RatHat posted:

A minor villain who appeared in 2 Spider-man comics a decade ago. Even for a hardcore comics reader he's obscure

Peter David wrote the introduction of the character. I'm sure he's getting at least small checks for the usage of Spider-man 2099 (which he created) in things like the Spider-Verse movies, but it must be wild for him to find out this tiny little character that's barely been in Spider-man comics at all is getting a full blown movie, and that you'll get paid because of it.

This also makes it abundantly clear that no Spider-man character is too small for Sony to consider making something with them, so it makes me hope that some very minor comic writer who hasn't done a lot of stuff has their weird character from a Spider-man one shot turned into something and gets a surprise check for it.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 27, 2022