Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
WW can fly, she flew in the previous film at least twice??

I wouldn't worry about what movie media/critics are saying, there's maybe 5 who are worth their salt and the rest are garbage and can be safely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Does her lasso have like magnets attached to it so it always coils up to her side after each use? It annoyed me way more than it should but I just couldn't stop noticing it.

It's literally magic.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same with her flying, the issue is the hair. The hair is just lightly blown by I’m assuming a lovely ikea fan while literally being dragged by a plane she latched herself to then flying on her own. At the speeds she’s running and flying/freefalling that hair would need to be doing all sorts of things to reflect the wind she’d be going against.

Well they had to cut costs somewhere, and Ikea is pretty cheap! Also the hair in question grows from the head of a demigod; same reason her skin doesn't ripple or her clothes aren't torn off.

Plus it's some sort of fictional performance art obviously unconcerned with realism

teagone posted:

Yeah, this movie does a lot of weird things lol.

The weirdness is a good sign, to me at least.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Her first Wonder Woman film was so good! I watch it all the time. What the gently caress happened this time? Jenkins showed so much promise.

I haven't seen it yet but from the complaints it sounds like she just straight made an 80's comic book movie like Superman or Swamp Thing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If that was true I think this movie would've been 37 hours long.

It's the reversal of the Patton Oswalt bit about how women "refine" things, how if Lucas had had his way, every Star Wars movie would've been an unwatchable epic, and it was his editors that made the final product work.

Lmao yikes

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I just can't enjoy fantastical stories if there isn't realistic flight control systems in place

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Superman was fun though, this was the exact opposite of that. :(

We'll see

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

Do you think any of the 2017 Smithsonian employees wonder why the woman who has worked there at least the 80s doesn't appear to age?

The exact same amount as Clark's colleagues at the planet who notice he looks identical to Superman

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here's the death of Maxwell Lord in the comics. It's so much better-written than the movie: https://comicnewbies.com/2017/08/06/wonder-woman-kills-maxwell-lord/

Lol that's pretty dumb and ugly

And peeps complain about sfx and silly plotting :psyduck: like what do you want??

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You know those trailers for movie where you look at them and go "hmm, that looks kinda interesting," then don't actually watch them until you're reminded they exist when they win a ton of Oscars and/or Golden Globes or that one movie geek friend of yours will not shut the gently caress up about it? That's an A24 movie.

They are an independent distribution/production company, their stuff has only won like 6 Oscars total

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I'll admit to being a little baffled by the idea that sliding down a slope and avoiding the track does not count as cheating in the horse racing event.

There's a tendency among nerds to over compensate their criticisms. So while ww84 sounds pretty bad, some peeps can't help but try to interpret everything in the worst possible extreme, which inadvertently makes it seem like they can't follow simplistic storytelling.

See the several posts proclaiming confusion over Barbara turning into Cheetah - why? Clearly she wanted on some level to be a sexy Cat, the magic realized her fursona

If I'm going to watch a comic book movie that features a superpowered Catwoman, even if I don't like it, I'm not going to be like "I can't possibly understand what this is!"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If that tone shift hadn't happened Sunshine was gearing up to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

I really wanted it to end with a meditative look on whether humanity deserved saving.

But it did, and said yes. Pinbaker is pretty meditative in his violent sabotage

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I think movie could have been more effective in its meditation without the violence.

If the question is 'does humanity deserve to live?' then the story only presents the yes position without any opposition from the no, well I don't think that would have been as good as a story, nevermind truly meditative

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

DynamicSloth posted:

Yeah at one point it splits in two as well, which fine, it's a magic 'lasso', but it's indicative of all the other magic in the movie, trading internal consistency for immediate narrative convenience.

Does anyone have any examples of internally consistent magic

In stories obvs, not gaming rules

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Necrothatcher posted:

Did you watch the movie yet?

Sunshine I've seen twice :smug: it's great

WW84 not yet, maybe I should see Aquaman first?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It's interesting how many people want Diana to be even more of a killer than she already is, but then don't want her to engage in problematic power-dynamics in the bedroom.

She just might be more of a Batman than a superman

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The suits have no faith in the Hulk, smh

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Stop stopping me from talking about the golf pants!!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Were there this many complaints about the lack of physical realism in Shazam?

I mean there's always a few weirdos but in my memory that film wasn't scrutinized in this manner to such an extent. Strange

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

th3t00t posted:

But It's not like I'm some DC fanboy who left gushing reviews for the other DCU films and then let his latent misogyny boil to the surface in his WW84 critique. This is the first DCU movie I've seen, because I've been avoiding the DCU because they all look really bad! I'm sure I'd have just as many criticisms of the DCU films featuring male super heroes as WW84, that is, if I was actually forced into watching them.

This is your first DC movie?!

DUDE

Watch swamp thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

Swamp Thing is not a DCU movie in the way WW84 is, but nevertheless this is solid advice.

It's canon :colbert:

Constantine too!