Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Anyone else feeling weirdly free tonight? Just like... boundlessly unshackled from foreign bureaucrats or something?

From anyone else I'd think this was brexit joke, but I'm like 95% sure you're being literal here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Noxville posted:

I wondered why some people had been letting off fireworks at 11pm rather than waiting til midnight, until one of my friends on our Google Meet call suggested it was probably people celebrating Brexit since that officially happened at midnight CET. Fucks sake.

I feel like the people most inclined to celebrate brexit would be the ones least likely to do so on European time.

Ms Adequate posted:

Believe it or not the references that might have seemed bondage-y were actually completely innocent that time and I was making a Brexit joke.

2021 already unmasked as the most disappointing year on record

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

There's been mass divestment from Arctic oil and gas exploration as one of the positive things on record for 2020, so 2021 might see Ms. A acquire some sounding equipment of a truly terrifying scale if that's your thing.

UKMT January - December 2021: truly terrifying sounding things

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

thanks for reminding me about the field I lost my job in as the new year starts you fuckr

I heard there are some, uh, interesting positions in this field being opened up in 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Maugrim posted:

:siren: :siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund - End-of-Year Update, Committee Elections, and Announcement of General Meeting :siren: :siren:

Donate:
Paypal - https://paypal.me/ukmtsolidarity - Please mark your donation as a gift, *not* as payment for services, as the latter incurs a charge!
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, Oscar Diggs or Rarity.

This is excellent and thanks to all the committee members (and especially you Maugrim!) for your hard work. Since the balance is currently quite healthy (and has been pretty consistently), are there any thoughts about ways to encourage take up in general, and maybe to encourage UKMT posters to bring the fund up more to increase its visibility? There's a solid sense of community here and people do post about going through tough times materially or mentally, but assuming that not everyone who posted something like that applied, and that not everyone who applied posted, I'd imagine there are some more people who could benefit who haven't applied because they don't know about it/don't want to ask.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1346920198461419520?s=19

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

It's pretty obvious their point is more to the tune of "most of the current politicians, journalists and property owners are from the same one or two schools and that kind of advantage is seriously hard to dislodge, so Scotland shouldn't sacrifice itself to try to save England, especially as most of the English have been brainwashed to accept abominations unto man like inherited wealth and inherited titles and would fight against anyone helping them".

That's an extraordinarily generous reading

Niric fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

That's the thing, they're supporting each other's ideas about what kind of a poster you are and don't bother to read your posts.

That'll keep happening. Sorry.

Having read every post in this thread I can't say I've seen much evidence of Ash engaging in good faith.

E.g.

Ash Crimson posted:

What else could explain the disparity? Why is England getting hit the hardest in terms of total deaths?

And when told that it's because England has ~55 million more people than Scotland:

Ash Crimson posted:

I consider myself barely sentient plus statistics isn't something I've ever researched or learnt about

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

Most of the English don't want to get rid of the monarchy though

Most Scottish people don't want to get rid of the monarchy either.

This post is a pretty good example of people making sweeping claims about Scotland (in this case, "is anti monarchy") to support their argument without bothering to check if it holds up. Like you could've said "England is more pro monarchy than Scotland" and it would've been true, but you didn't because you didn't think to check. These kind of sweeping claims that Scotland believes X to prove Scottish moral superiority are something I see a lot of with my scot nat friends

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

This is true. Also I'm reasonably sure this is like the third or fourth time we've had a 10 page debate about Ash Crimson's posting, which tells you all you need to know.

Are you saying they are a high impact poster?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I will Aye on Item 1

I also don't really see any problem with the AGM or any SGM if necessary being "held" in the regular UKMT. Especially if you want to ensure the widest possible participation. But ultimately it's you Maugrim & a handful of others who are doing the hard work so if a separate thread is easier to track votes & discussion or whatever, that's really fine.

Agree with all of this

Aye on item 1

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Blueshirt posted:

S&TC started out pretty cool and then turned into "4 impossibly rich monsters whine about their non-problems" before launching into absolute insanity with the movies, one of which was so insanely bad, classist and racist that it made Mark Kermode break down and sing the Internationale at a perplexed Simon Mayo.

Yeah, this 10000%. It probably won't shock anyone here to know that Hadley Freeman is being wildly disengenuous and wilfully distorting everyone else's opinions in order to look like she has a point to make. It's the overwhelming critical opinion AFAICT that SATC became utterly poo poo and started existing in a weird and uninteresting navel gazing bubble of its own tropes, especially in the films, and that the second movie is just a badly put together film as well as being straight up racist and offensive. Arguing that it's largely (or based on her wording, entirely!) misogyny that is behind people comparing it unfavourably to the sopranos doesn't hold up at all.

Privileged rich people not noticing how offensive and detached from reality they are, unable to comprehend that they come across as awful to the rest of the world, and certain that their tedious, unlikely dramas and opinions are the most interesting and enthralling thing in the world, somehow resonates with newspaper opinion writer Hadley Freeman for reasons that escape me. '

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

The giant tin of beans is wild, like how much loving beans would you have to eat? I like beans but I have never wanted to eat nearly a kilogram of them because the tin's that big. Is it beyond the government's ability to supply several normal tins?

The government is full of people who think the Sun photo stories are accurate depictions of how most people live and therefore include the beans as a treat for the parent(s)

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

i have a sneaking suspicion that Keith is levitating, not sure why

He isn't, but now you've said it I'm pretty sure he's surrounded by 4 short people who are

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Wachter posted:

GuardAIn

:golfclap:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1350580707677110272

UKMT what is a chitterwagger? It sounds like a racial slur.

UKMT January 2021: the isle is full of chitterwaggers

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

CoolCab posted:

e: also please answer my question re: why you're up i'm curious

Ronya has always been very reticent about answering even the vaguest of personal questions in UKMT. IIRC years ago someone made pretty a persuasive case that they likely live somewhere with onerous Internet/censorship laws (in se Asia maybe?), but I might be getting my posters mixed up here

[edit: this is purely from UKMT by the way. For all I know Ronya is poo poo posting it up in fyad and adtrw talking about how it sucks living in weston super mare or whatever]

Niric fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 21, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Was... there not an election in '08?

That might eb what I'm getting confused about, I thought Brown won one in '08 after Blair resigned, then lost the next one.

Nah, there were rumours for ages that one was going to happen, presumably via leaks from browns team, but they got cold feet and back away from it

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

£500 for positive tests is stupid.

Surely the rational market approach is for the government to offer to buy negative tests, thereby reducing the supply of positive tests? :confused:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

What we need to do is transfer the £800 to the person that files the report, so you can have both gain £500/£500, win/lose £800/-£300 or -£300/£800, or both get nothing.

This will form a productive society and not a bunch of cold war math psychos.

Realists will simply dob everyone else in to the cops for immunity, thereby gaining £500 cold hard cash :smug:

but lose all their friends

which is a double win because Realists do not have any real friends

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The DPRK posted:

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1352575872352583680

Gutted ShaneMcGowansTeeth. Better luck with the next shipment.

quote:

Sergeant Gerry Boyle: You lads always announce seizure of drugs worth a street value at $10 million or $20 million or half a billion dollars. I wonder what street it is you're buying your cocaine on, because it's not the same street as I'm buying my cocaine on.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Anyone know why Sturgeon should resign is a thing today?

To do with the story behind this poll I imagine:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19025944.poll-two-thirds-say-nicola-sturgeon-quit-misled-holyrood-salmond-affair/?ref=twtrec

We're still at the point where liking the snp/Sturgeon is an identity though, so I don't see her being in any trouble at all form this

edit: full article:

quote:

TWO-thirds of Scots think Nicola Sturgeon should resign if she is found to have lied to the Scottish Parliament, according to a new poll.

Panelbase found 68 per cent of decided voters wanted the First Minister to quit if she deliberately misled MSPs over the Alex Salmond affair.

SNP voters were split down the middle on whether she should go in such circumstances.

Ms Sturgeon has strongly denied misleading parliament.

READ MORE: Nicola Sturgeon says she does not consider she misled parliament over Salmond affair

The findings are from poll questions commissioned by the Wings Over Scotland website, which although pro-independence is often brutally critical of Ms Sturgeon’s leadership.

Participants were asked: "Two inquiries are currently investigating whether Nicola Sturgeon lied to the Scottish Parliament about her knowledge of false allegations of misconduct against Alex Salmond.

“The Ministerial Code - the rules under which the Scottish Government operates - stipulates that any minister found to have deliberately misled Parliament should resign.

“If it is found that Nicola Sturgeon did lie to Parliament, should she resign?”

Panelbase reported that, despite Ms Sturgeon’s high personal approval ratings in the pandemic, lying to parliament was seen as beyond the pale, with a 68-32 split in favour of her stepping down.

The feeling was more pronounced among people who backed Unionist parties at the 2019 general election, with 92% of Tory, 78% of Labour and 73% of Liberal Democrat decided voters saying that she should resign.

However 49% of decided SNP voters also said she should go, compared to 51% who thought she should survive.

More than half of her SNP backers cited either her good leadership or her work during the pandemic as reasons why should stay in post regardless.

A majority of those who voted Yes to independence in 2014 also thought Ms Sturgeon should quit, with 54% saying she should leave, compared to 82% of No voters.

HeraldScotland:
Most women also thought Ms Sturgeon should quit if she lied to parliament, with 64% of female decided voters saying so, compared to 71% of male voters.

Scots-born blogger Stuart Campbell, who runs Wings Over Scotland from Bath, said the findings showed SNP loyalists were wrong to dismiss the Salmond affair as a “political bubble” issue which ordinary voters didn’t care about.

He wrote: “If the First Minister’s plan is to just ride out any unfavourable inquiry findings on the back of her popularity, she may be in for a nasty shock.”

Ms Sturgeon is currently being investigated by the independent adviser on the Scottish ministerial code over whether she failed to tell officials about contacts with her predecessor.

If she is found to have broken the code, it would be seen as a resigning issue at Holyrood.

The adviser, former Irish prosecutor James Hamilton, recently said he was minded to widen the probe into whether Mr Sturgeon mislead parliament about the nature of the contacts.

She is also due to give evidence next month to the Holyrood inquiry into Mr Salmond’s legal fight with the Scottish Government.

The inquiry is looking into the Government’s botched probe into sexual misconduct claims levelled against the former first minister in 2018 by two civil servants.

READ MORE: Alex Salmond accuses Nicola Sturgeon of giving 'untrue' evidence to Holyrood inquiry

Mr Salmond had the probe set aside in a judicial review by showing it was “tainted by apparent bias”, a Government flaw that left taxpayers with a £512,000 bill for his costs.

After the Government’s defence of the civil action collapsed in January 2019, Ms Sturgeon revealed she had three meetings and two calls with Mr Salmond while he was being investigated by her officials.

She insisted these were taken in her capacity as SNP leader, and so no Government officials were present or minutes taken.

The opposition claim she broke the ministerial code by failing to report the contacts fully and timeously to her officials.

Ms Sturgeon only reported the first meeting at her home on April 2, 2018 to the Government’s top official on 6 June on the eve of another meeting with Mr Salmond.

Mr Salmond alleges Ms Sturgeon also broke the code by misleading parliament about the nature of the meeting, claiming she knew full well they were not party business.

He said she even helped arrange the April 2 meeting four days previously, on March 29, on the explicit understand that he intended to discuss the Government probe with her.

READ MORE: Nicola Sturgeon says ministerial code probe can check if she misled parliament

Ms Sturgeon later said she had “forgotten” about the March 29 meeting, despite confirming it had involved a discussion of Mr Salmond and sexual matters.

Mr Salmond said Ms Sturgeon’s statements to the Holyrood chamber and the inquiry that she was unaware of the agenda for the April 2 meeting were untrue.

It prompted opposition MSPs to urge Mr Hamilton to expand his work to include whether Ms Sturgeon misled parliament.

When Mr Hamilton last week said he was “minded” to do so, Ms Sturgeon told MSPs that she “completely” refuted the allegations that she breached the ministerial code.

The SNP have been asked for comment

Niric fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 23, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Complaints were made against Salmond that became criminal charges.
Sturgeon (who hated Salmond) pushed things a bit faster to get him kicked out.

Not sure where you're getting this from, but this isn't the story at all. Sturgeon was Salmond's protege and is being accused of having undeclared meetings with him.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Well they don't seem besties anymore!

Oh yeah, they're definitely not now, but the idea that sturgeon "hated" Salmond or that they had a Blair/brown thing going on while he was first minister isn't something I've heard anything about

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Thank you and aside from "Jim Murphy is obviously a reptilian/useless" and Scotland being presented an apparently lefty alternative to new labour dogshit I still can't loving fathom this

it's an insane, massive swing, if there's any legit good books on the rise of the SNP please post em.

I don't know about good books, but that graph is massively misleading because it excludes Holyrood voting patterns. Which is kinda interesting in itself, since it showed that, for a while at least, Scottish voters considered holyrood and UK elections quite differently. The SNP have been the largest party here since 2007, so it's much less of an immediate swing than it appears

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Burns would definitely have been repeatedly banned for horny posting in D&D.

Something something mods knew:

quote:

Nae hair on't

Yestreen I wed a lady fair,
And ye wad believe me,
On her oval office there grows nae hair,
That's the thing that grieves me.

It vexed me sair, it plagu'd me sair,
It put me in a passion,
To think that I had wad a wife,
Whase oval office was out o' fashion

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That seems a pretty good take on how [X] results in [Y] , but hammering into [your academic niche] is a bizarre approach to me. I also have no idea what new directions we're supposed to be hoping for.

I feel like this feedback could work for the vast majority of submissions to peer reviewed journals.

[July 28th.1540: Thomas Cromwell is executed (spoiler for Hilary Mantel's The Mirror and the Light)]

Niric fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 26, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Half a wit, half a wit,
Half a wit 'tween them...

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mebh posted:

The entire 'gameplay' gets simplified to a weighted random button that you just click to run a single cycle that then spits you out the other side with a bit more xp or currency to spend in a shop. The weighting takes into account levels, difficulty etc and I usually take account for different player types, payers, non payers etc as well by having different initial settings.

This is a great description of greatest game of all time, Football Manager

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Mebh posted:

Every single game ever made is basically football manager with more or less stats and a different variant of random output.

UKMT kept recommending Disco Elysium but as far as I can tell you can't set your detectives up in an asymmetric 4-3-1-2, so can you even call it a game?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

crispix posted:

i want to non-chalantly walk past starmer and say "awrite keef"

VILE LEFT WING BULLIES THREATEN OUR DEMOCRACY
- Rafael Behr

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/camsell59/status/1354741870774120449

This time the Scottish Nationalists have gone too far.

The no true Scotsman fallacy except it's about anything calling itself "iron brew"

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Next you'll be telling me its not even made from girders :scotland:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I actually like the weird, slightly chemical taste of Barr's stuff - I'm fairly certain it's a deliberate thing they do because it's pretty consistent across their range (i.e. the lemonade tastes like lemon + taste x, the orangeade like orange + taste x, etc). Mind you that might just be that I grew up drinking Corona (the soft drinks made by Beechams, not the Spanish beer or the virus) which had that same weird taste.

What you're tasting there, and the reason it's so consistent across the Barr product line, is the creeping sense of existential disappointment that develops in anything which stays in Cumbernauld too long.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Please don't lick other posters itt.

That's the February thread title sorted

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know pie chat was a few days ago, but anyway: pie chat redux:

The creatures outside looked from pie to man, and from man to pie, and from pie to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

:golfclap: but also :barf:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

So I complained a couple days ago about a place not getting back to me saying I would eat my words if they had a fair reason. Turns out one of them was ill and also my emails were getting filtered so fair enough. Had the second interview just now, turned out it wasn't even a technical one, more a "hey, get to know a couple of the other members of the team, make sure we'd actually like to work with you" kind of interview. Seemed to go alright and they seem like a pretty decent company to work for (if slightly disorganised but that is the most forgivable thing to me) so hopefully I will be gainfully employed soon.

Congrats!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Arlene won't like that

Funny you should say that, she's literally just popped up on Channel 4 news to say the vaccine "was designed to save lives in the UK," which is quite the claim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

sinky posted:

*designed to save protestant lives in the UK.

Arlene possibly believes all heathens to be the undead