Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Blueshirt posted:

I feel very much In Control of all nearby fish. Like Aquaman, only with a big red gammony face and strong opinions about minorities.

Astounding post/username combo

e: oh ffs this year is already poo poo FINE Cerberus has 3 heads and is a character in the best video game released in 2020: Hades.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

God drat it, I thought I'd finally found a use for the five chocolate oranges my parents foisted on me, and it doesn't use actual orange chocolate. :gonk:

Put them in the bin where they belong.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

therattle posted:

I bloody love Boaty McBoatface, and the British sense of humour is one of the positives of this country.

People keep saying that, but ya'll aren't that great at humour. There's some hits and a lot of misses, and when British people say this it always reeks of either nationalism or just people liking things because they grew up with them despite the things not being any better than the alternatives (see also: religion, chocolate oranges, parents' politics)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

therattle posted:

Obviously it’s subjective, and I’m not British. I’ve lived in South Africa, the UK, the US and spent some time in Canada, so I have a few things to compare it to. Humour is determined to some degree by what one grows up with, of course. That said, I find humour in the UK much more prevalent and funnier than in the US.

That wasn't aimed at you specifically, but let's be honest here most of what the US considers to be comedy is absolute garbage. Other than some notable exceptions like Always Sunny, I don't think I've ever even moved a face muscle during a US sitcom/sketch show.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Perfect Element posted:

I thi k parks and rec is one of the most consistently funny shows ever made, and the first 2-3 series of arrested development are stellar.

Then you have the cartoons which all seem to be on Netflix (and South Park, although admittedly I've not watched that for like 15 years).

American comedy can be dire, true, but I think there's more than enough good stuff to show that it's not some universal law.

Oh for sure, there's so much of it some of it is bound to be good. I remember Parks & Rec being good, but South Park has always been edgy teenager humour from what I recall. Those are the things that consistently make it overseas. Have you ever sat down and watched what's on 90% of their comedy channels? Infinite sitcoms that are just.. 20 minutes of ads and 20 minutes of what I can only assume is someone filming a really bad improv group?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jakabite posted:

We have things like Alan Partridge, Brass Eye, Dark Place, Peep Show, The Thick Of It, The Office, and all the various other shows from that very rough area which are all absolutely great. I think it’s important to distinguish between funny in the sense of producing good professional comedy and comedic media, and funny in the sense of the people being funny though.

Also anyone who thinks we should replace professional comedians with shitposting has clearly never been to see live stand up.

Maybe my issue with british comedy is that I don't enjoy 'cringe comedy' where the main character keeps loving up and making stupid cringey mistakes for laughs. I don't enjoy Alan Partridge or a lot of Peep Show for this reason.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I rescind all of my criticisms of your chocolate opinions, we are kindred, comrades, brothers in comedic tastes.

We have forged a bond that will last a lifetime and never falter, comrade.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

its like being too scared to watch horror movies, you just gotta get over the hump and then you can enjoy some great stuff.

i was the same the first time i watched the office

Nah, I've watched basically all of Peep Show at my partner's request for example and the cringe bits never get any better. It's just.. It feels like punching down at people with bad social skills most of the time, and the rest of the time I just don't find it funny.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I find it particularly bad when the character getting into those situations is being earnest or not doing anything 'wrong' aside from being a bit awkward, maybe just because it hits a little too close to home with my own life experiences.

Like I said about Only Fools, when you have a character like Del who gets into those situations through greed, or not doing research/prep, or refusing to listen to warnings, there can be something satisfying about seeing things fall apart.

But things like the Inbetweeners, the Office, Friday Night Dinner; Most of them I just can't watch because half the time the person who's the butt of the joke has done nothing wrong. Even Alan Partridge, half the time it's him taking out his inadequacies on guests, staff, other researchers.

It doesn't help that Friday Night Dinner doesn't have a single joke written into the script, tbf.

Jose posted:

fully recommend you watch nathan for you

I looked that up and it sounds genuinely painful to watch.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I just read an article yesterday in the Israeli FT equivalent (can't find it now and its in here anyway) that said that over the last year over half of the UK's power came from wind energy.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

gov are finally coming through the rewards for key workers that have spent months in misery and chaos

thank god

Even the rewards for essential workers are just a way to funnel money to private companies lmao this country is amazing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Coffee is gross if I want a hot drink I'll just get a hot chocolate because I don't hate my taste buds.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nah loads of people will go on about The One True Way To Make Delicious Coffee even though it's all disgusting without adding a ton of sugar.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Caffiene doesn't seem to actually do much to me.

Add a ton of sugar then, nothing wrong with that, sweet coffee is nice.

Same on the first point, hot chocolate for the 2nd.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'm slowly converting this thread to Correct Food Thought (Miftanist-Levantist)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Before Christmas, Costa Coffee were doing a Terry’s Chocolate orange flavoured Hot Chocolate. That was really good.
But their After Eight mint flavoured Hot Chocolate was banging.

I'm glad you enjoyed it so that I don't have to.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a skidplate. *This* is a skidpan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khgybH3OUh8&t=186s

I would pay so much money to have a go at this, there's surely enough old Routemasters knocking around for one of the driving experience days to offer it?

(also go back to 2:10 for some sick bus simulator action 20 years before a German even thought of writing job shovelware)

I did this on a hummer for half a day. It was great, except the instructor kept wanting me to "focus on recovering control" instead of "going around in circles while shouting 'weeeee!' "

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funny thing, I did almost the exact opposite - got a driving experience day and decided to give drifting a go and I just couldn't overcome my instinct to stop it sliding about. The instructor called it "impressive, but completely missing the point" which I think sums up a lot of my life.

Mine was with the army and they were not impressed with me.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

"You missed the baby, you missed the blind man..."

I wasn't a sniper.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

CoolCab posted:

Several were lost to time - god, it was ages ago now. I have never met James Cordon nor been to that service station, of course there never was an argument about spagetti bollonese, nor do a wide number of us write S Club 7 fan sites or that puppet show with the ships erotic fiction. It was like we were receiving red texts from a better version of reality - one where our squabbles were not about nationalism but instead far purer things.

I used to have "I tell people Tim Farron is my dad so they'll think I'm cool" with a very unfortunate picture of him (aren't they all), but have managed to piss off/entertain two more people since then, hence my current one.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

I think this is one of the reasons why we're not issuing vaccinated people with cards and telling them they can behave like they used to. The black market it would create would be fierce.

Israel's doing that via their app, but they're actually vaccinating people properly afaik because they've got a very small population in a very small area.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

Are they vaccinating Palestineans yet?

Noxville posted:

Also they’re not vaccinating Palestinians.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

I like desolate cityscapes, concrete, and decay though.

I can't stand sunshine, crowds or joy.

Username/post combo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Voting Aye on 1.

As for Flayer's concern about quoracy, assuming the thread/discord remains as active as it is, I think we could raise it to 11 at a minimum so the committee can't pass anything by themselves (if that's the worry?) and probably all the way to 15, to be honest. If they don't remain active enough for 15 people to vote on stuff, I think the fund will probably be wound down anyway at that point.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If people don't follow Jack Monroe, she's got a thread on twitter about how lovely some of the food parcels that replaced vouchers are.

https://twitter.com/BootstrapCook/status/1348698098139328513

That Local Authority thing is barely over a fiver, and maybe about £2 without the 'desserts'.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A relative of mine used to do likewise. She had home accident cover and amazing how destructive her 5 year old was when she wanted a new stereo or whatever.
She also stayed with me when I lived in London for a few days and her car got broken into. Next time I saw her, she had a new video camera cost over £700 with her - to replace the one 'stolen' from her car. She never had one before.
Naturally, the one time I got burgled was the one time the police caught the burglar and his stash so if I'd made a false claim (which I did NOT and which just about everyone was egging me on to do) I would have been found out.

I knew you were slightly older than the thread average, but to think you were alive when the police actually caught criminals??? Wild.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also besides the point, but 4 desserts and 2 sandwiches is a good ratio for creating the next generation of bloated Tory oval office

They need their Big Dinners.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Are the food parcels halal?

It may surprise you to learn that they are not, and many families who don't eat pork have been given pork (though according to the photos I've seen you'd be lucky to get any meat at all)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I thought it was because Bill Gates put a microchip in the vaccine that turns you into a Jaffa?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

I'd be wary of drawing conclusions from that. 8200 is, I think, the largest unit in the IDF and has about a billion different roles people can do. Like most army units, a lot of them are really lame bookkeeping stuff. This guy probably isn't a super spy, and 5 years in the IDF is the standard draft + 1 officer term which is.. Really standard in Israel. Could have just written 'hired an Israeli'.

Communist Thoughts posted:

The perfect guy for controlled opposition labour

This is really funny though, because the Israeli Labour party is so so poo poo it's amazing, and they've somehow gotten worse over the last couple of elections (which happened over the last 2 years)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Miftan posted:

I'd be wary of drawing conclusions from that. 8200 is, I think, the largest unit in the IDF and has about a billion different roles people can do. Like most army units, a lot of them are really lame bookkeeping stuff. This guy probably isn't a super spy, and 5 years in the IDF is the standard draft + 1 officer term which is.. Really standard in Israel. Could have just written 'hired an Israeli'.

(Israeli Labour stuff)
This is really funny though, because the Israeli Labour party is so so poo poo it's amazing, and they've somehow gotten worse over the last couple of elections (which happened over the last 2 years)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Or you could smack your genitals with a ball peen hammer, which is probably about as productive :shrug:

Finally, I understand why it's called a ball-peen hammer.

e: best snipe of my life,

On this day in 1841 China ceded Hong Kong to the British during the 1st Opium War

Miftan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 20, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Now do Buckingham Palace.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

communism bitch posted:

This statement is about Trump, but it is not unique to Trump, it's rich entitled babies everywhere. The tories are governing, and now trying to conduct international diplomacy like this. It's the same behaviour they are used to exhibiting in their own personal lives - just make declarative statements in complete contradiction to reality, and expect the world to conform to your expectations. This works in their personal lives because they're always dealing with menials and employees who bend over backwards to give them what they want. These people are so ignorant, blinkered stupid, and cretinous that they think this is how the entire world works. I have ample direct, personal experience of this sort of behaviour.

I see you've also met army officers.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cut yourself off from your children, the UKMT is your family now.

Can I use the car please?

I had dibs, just use your bike.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Jedit posted:

2) Pate is made through animal cruelty.

I have bad news for you about literally all the meat you eat.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My wife and I tried these tonight and they were goddamn delicious

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/plant-pioneers/plant-pioneers-2-vegan-steaks-226g

Actually tasted like a meat steak. Texture was a bit weird but I'll take it.

Sainsburys' plant pioneers range is all surprisingly solid tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

And licorice belongs in the bin.

100% agree.

CyberPingu posted:

Their hotdogs are also better than any "real" hotdog I've had.

A low bar to clear, to be fair.