Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Low-hanging fruit.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 5, 2021

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zereth posted:

The Comics Curmudgeon claims there's a rumor or something that Crankshaft has a year-long buffer, so these "Flu" strips would've been made just as things were starting, if that's correct.

So Batuik was assuming calling it "covid" wouldn't be topical anymore by the time they came out. Also explains the one strip referencing hand sanitizer specifically.

:shepicide:

Honestly, that would answer the question I've had about why the hell there's not a flu shot in the Crankshaft-verse, since there wouldn't have been a vaccination for covid at the time.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

I feel relieved that she did used to wear them, likely when I was reading the comics more often and that's why I still picture her with them. As for recently I forget if I noticed it or if it was pointed out by someone on here or by Josh Fruhlinger's blog.

Her knobby rear end head still makes me uncomfortable though

Comic Strips 2021: Her knobby rear end head still makes me uncomfortable

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze I don't even loving know.

I had to look at this one twice because while I appreciate the overhead angle, which is visually interesting and difficult to do with regards to foreshortening, at first glance I couldn't figure out why the woman in red (sorry, i can't be bothered to learn these characters' names) had three legs and one freaky foot with really long toes.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Getting a William Gibson vibe here. Nice.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

They really are going all-in on that "Bets is terrible and Gunther deserves better" thing, aren't they?

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set doesn't know how to spell "nutrition".

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Presto posted:

Isn't this basically the entirety of Mary Worth? Dogs, muffins, and borderline personality disorders.

The Comic Strip Megathread: Dogs, Muffins, and Borderline Personality Disorders

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I've been wa-aaa-ay out of touch on these threads for a long time and this is my first experience with Nil. He has instantly become my favorite character in this whole terrible strip.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

...in which we discover Sally's mom lives in a Dionaea House.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Couple of potential avatars here if anyone wants 'em.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

:hfive:

That's much better, thanks! That center panel in particular is much better than the first one I made. So here's some cleaned-up avatar material using that new artwork.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

God even when they do get on with it they can't just get on with it.

Everything else aside, I'm getting really loving sick and tired of Sarah being portrayed as some sort of child savant who keeps on producing these heartbreaking works of staggering genius.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Jesus loving Christ SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

I guess the humor is supposed to be he's talking to a baby and understands the baby even though all the baby says is Bah Bah, which is stupid and awful.

I guess I'mma be the Daddy Daze defender. I realize that having the dad translate the babyspeak is aggravating to many people here, but I can take that a hell of a lot faster than I can the cutesey phonetic misspelled babyspeak that gets used in Rose is Rose. I also appreciate that Daddy Daze depicts a divorced couple who seem to genuinely like each other and who aren't constantly arguing or using the baby as a weapon in their failed marriage. And as simplistic as the art style may be, the artist often does things with facial expressions that I find kinda sweet and charming.

This, on the other hand:

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

As if I didn't already hate this storyline enough already, Jesus loving Christ I can practically see the cartoon dollar signs in Rex's eyes here as he tries to convince his child to sell her story to a famous children's author. She's already told you no, you self-centered, entitled prick. Leave her the gently caress alone. This whole loving comic should just be renamed "White Privilege".

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Daduzi posted:

I think this may be The Dinette Set's "Cow Tools"

you broke my grill posted:

my best guess is he's doing a party trick with the corn where he rubs his fingers against it to make it squeak and make it sound like "see you tomorrow"

it only works with corn

I'm not sure this makes any sense but this is the only way I can think to make sense of this

I have the terrible feeling it may be a poop joke.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Who Cares Shut Up

Gonna call it right now: the author's idea for his next story is a sequel or somehow otherwise depends on elements of Sarah's story and thus cannot exist unless the precocious little six-year-old agrees to let him use it.

I hate this loving strip.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Ha! I doubt it! That would be really st...

Rex Morgan MD

Goddammit!

Honestly, given how long they've dragged the whole rest of this arc out, I was fully expecting at least another week of recapping "Sarah wants to read new stories, not her own story" before we got to this.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Get out, Nil! Get out now while you still can!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (November 6, 1989)

This is probably my all-time favorite Garfield, if one can be said to have such things.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Jesus, Bernice, just take a vow of celibacy and join a convent already.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUU

e: not you, Johnny Walker. This goddamn idiotic strip.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

:v:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If the museum thing was SUCH A BIG PROBLEM, you had an easy way to fix that you assholes: by not encouraging your super-genius child to give permission for the Kitty Kop author to use the story in the first loving place!

Jesus loving Christ I hate everything about this.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Les Moore's Unquestioned Privilege Summer Vacation continues!

"Wow! It's a 12-foot mural of St. Lisa of Cancer! gently caress you, second-choice wife!"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Teen years, my rear end. At the rate this strip is going all-in on Sarah's genius, she'll be finishing a doctoral thesis on the mathematical nature on the works of Jackson Pollack by the time she's 14.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Kind of looks like Ham Shears on the bags there.

Aww, I miss Ham Shears. :sigh:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EasyEW posted:

The Godlike Genius Of Les Moore, Bringer Of Renewed Life

So, just how far do you suppose Batiuk has his head stuck up his own rear end?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EBB posted:

Aww poor baby had to sit on the tarmac for an entire hour

Tell me about it. A couple of summers ago, before COVID came along and everything went to hell, a line of storms across the midwest hosed up nationwide air traffic something awful and I got stuck in JFK for 13 hours waiting for a flight out. When we finally got a plane, we we were in line on the tarmac for takeoff for another couple of hours. All of this for like a 45-minute flight to Burlington, VT. I could have loving WALKED there in the amount of time I waited (or at the very least, rented a car and driven there).

Ed can shut right the hell up, I guess is what I'm saying.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Oh boy! Here comes a month of strips of Saul telling Wilbur about how awesome dogs are and how he should totally get one!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth in which WHOOPS!

Someone help me out here: isn't this Sally's own company? That she started herself? How could she not know it tanked?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Thanks much! :hfive:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Oh, I dunno, Curtis. That's pretty standard cat behavior, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

This is easily my favorite C&H strip Watterson ever did.