Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Happy New Year to my favorite thread in the forums! I may be mostly a dedicated lurker, but there's no time like now to say how much I appreciate the quality content you all post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

There's something very fitting about the first punch of Jules Rivera's tenure at Mark Trail is his own father. Symbolic, really.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

So no farther mention of the ridiculous number of crimes that Mark did?

Be straight, do crimes, I guess.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

"Also I have committed many crimes."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Cul De Sac is building up suspense.

I'll make this easy for you, Petey - he sucked.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Joining the chorus of WHAT THE poo poo MARY WORTH

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

It probably says something about where I am in my life that my reaction to the ongoing Sally Forth storyline isn't Poor Hilary and Faye, friends ripped apart by forces beyond their adolescent control!, but more So where are Faye and her mom moving to? Because apparently they aren't just downsizing to smaller quarters, but leaving town. That's a big undertaking; will this sale net them enough to cover moving expenses and deposits for wherever they end up? Are they moving in with family? What's the game plan here? I have so many annoying adult questions!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Inspector Javert, the College Years

Javert is at least driven by a sense of misplaced morality and a deep seated terror of chaos. Bernice is just a buzzkill.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 16, 1944)

"Dude, you have the WORST loving timing."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

ukonvasara posted:

That's not quite right: Funky Winkerbean jumped 10 years ahead of the contemporarily-set Crankshaft but didn't change anything else, resulting in a situation in which FW is set in the present, and Crankshaft is set 10 years earlier, in the present.

It all makes perfect sense if you think hard enough abou- :unsmigghh:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Really surprised Val and Aleta don't kill each other to end the strip, they're up about 3 tragedies and a double digit body count on two trips to Misty Isles. It does make the upcoming relationship pretty intriguing since we've had modern Val Sundays in the thread.

I'm really glad this stretch of classic Val is finally getting posted, because it's a wild ride.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

And now, as a reward for those of you who waited, a terrible comic:

Do what now

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Raise your hand if you're surprised to find out Bern is a bad fish mom. :colbert:

Every time you think "Bernice can't possibly KEEP being the worst," she comes through in the clutch!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1945)

Aleta, on the other hand, keeps being amazing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 28, 1945)

Aleta's face in panel four: "You're welcome, dingus."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I miss Shauna. :(

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (July 14, 1945)

Oh drat.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mikl posted:

Edit: ^^ :hfive:

...This doesn't even make any sense!

The lot number thing is correct, yes, but she should ask for skeins that are from the same lot instead of different ones! This is because one lot is dyed together all at once, and it may differ veeeeeeeeeery slightly in colour from the previous or next lots. Not much, but it can be noticeable if you mix yarn from different lots into a single piece. Why would she want that??

Mercury Hat posted:

She says right there that it's bad luck if it's the same lot number, sheesh!

Julet Esqu posted:

Like really though! If we're complaining about annoying customer behavior it would make a lot more sense to have a customer insist they get all the same lot number (and call another store if they have to) because that's a thing that actually would happen! (And rightfully so. No-dye-lot yarn exists, but for the most part you really want to be sure those lot numbers match. I can see why it would be irritating for the employee who has to help, though.)

I think the implication is that the customer is not only needy, but possibly mentally ill. I remember a customer who used to come in, invariably about 30 minutes before close, and she would want an associate to hand-hold her through a series of complicated orders and returns, with coupons and rewards, all the while telling you the no-filter story of the latest thing to go wrong in her life. It wasn't that she needed the stuff (hence the returns - there was always a return). She just wanted to be the center of someone's attention. It always made us sad, because we realized why she was doing, but it was also infuriating.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 16, 2021

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Just wanted to paint flowers. :3:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

drat, Aleta.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, Val did find the youth "Good".

Prince Valiant: The original Disaster Bi.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

El Spamo posted:

Dude in the red scarf there is ready to gently caress some poo poo UP

Prince Valiant and the Bisexual Murder Brigade: Here for vengeance and well accessorized.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Nostalgamus posted:

The
GULL

I'd read it.

I prefer CAR GUY myself. It's a really solid book.

The Gourd is mostly coasting on nostalgia these days.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (March 29, 1947)

“Bootsie, Baby, you could be a solid killer-diller this spring with me on your arm … if I only had that there coat!”

Bootsie may have met his match.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 20, 1946)

I'm digging Val's kicky beret in panel 2.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (May 24, 1947)

“And when I say NO, I mean NO … An’ I don’t see what Spring is got to do with it anyhow!”

I like how the women in Dark Laughter never take Bootsie's poo poo.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

"Who could have foreseen that my act of eco-terrorism would have negative consequences?!"

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

:perfect:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 26, 1946)

Gosh. Wonder who that is.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

You may be giving her more credit than she deserves. MiniSec strikes me as very underpants gnome re: sweeping change. It's very

1) SMASH THE SYSTEM
2) ?????
3) Perfect anarcho-primitivism!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

A day late and a sandwich short...

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

"199 - Jucika Is Feeling Cold"

Big mood.

I identify with this Jucika on a deep, possibly spiritual, level.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Frickin' Janet. :argh:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Yeeeesssss. :neckbeard:

The arc that starts with Ulfrun's abduction of Aleta is one of the best in Foster's entire run.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Mikl posted:

Also, adding my voice to the "adults living with parents" thing: over here (Italy) it's completely normal for adults to live with their parents until they get married, which coincides with moving into a home you share with your partner. Lately it's becoming more common for people to live together even before marriage (and it's becoming more common to not get married at all), but someone well into their thirties still living in their parents' home doesn't raise any eyebrows at all.

Continuing "adult children at home" chat - it's also important to remember that's Ed's lovely attitude is ahistorical for the United States as well. Living in the family home until marriage was the norm here in the US until after WWII, and in fact continued to be the norm for most Americans well into the 60s and 70s, when (you guessed it) the Baby Boomers started to reach adulthood. And in their haste to go to college and get out of the homes of their Depression and war traumatized parents, a whole new social expectation was born.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

I'm with her.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The Bloop posted:

So is Mary Worth about to do a depressing story about a dog adoption that goes very badly for the dog or a wildly irresponsible story about a dog adoption for all the wrong reasons that goes perfectly

Why choose?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Every so often, one just has to take a moment to say that Wallace is Very Good.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Oh, I hope this storyline turns into Pierre and Libby becoming best buds and just clowning on Wilbur at every opportunity.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

EBB posted:

I hope there is a twist and Estelle and Carol become best friends forged by a dislike of Wilbur

Maybe Estelle will want to go salsa dancing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

That second panel. :allears: