Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://www.tmz.com/2021/01/01/nanc...eXZt30fRdEaCp8c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Neolibs don't see it that way. There are people who say Yellen's ties to Wall St and speaking income being scrutinized is sexist. They're just as divorced from reality as the GOP, it's just a reality where viruses are real

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

having a republican state step up and hold Trump accountable, no matter what the conditions are, seems unlikely to me man. i sincerely hope i'm wrong, though

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Anarcho-Bidenism posted:

The actual democratic party is like the onions version of the democratic party

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Ln43bGdj0

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Do you have a method where i don't have to almost die

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

e: nevermind too angry and nihilistic

Same

I loving hope this is the wake up call the DNC at large needed to recognize hey these psychos can't be reasoned with and give no quarter to his GOP lackeys after they abandon the Trump ship, or keep saying antifa broke in to the capital.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

oh yeah what he's done doesn't warrant just pulling the trigger now, let's give him another chance to do the right thing. let's let the epic twitter burns do their work first

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Maybe the DNC will NOW realize there's no hope for them and stop making priority one attempting to win them and their elected reps over

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

not caring here posted:

That sounds like a low key burn that we should never have a republican party.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The DNC wants the bullies to like them. They want it SO MUCH.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

MazelTovCocktail posted:

And it’s been glorious to watch.

It seems like the right wing equivalent of the late night talk show host Trump burns which if I remember correctly did more harm than good since it just kept the circle jerk thinking of GOP dumb haha we are the smart ones what a joke rolling

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You're right, the Lincoln project folks are all about competent fascism and Meyers isn't

If you want to push the Reagan era minus the racism you aren't left with much besides bipartisanship to further goals that disproportionately gently caress over oh wait back to racism. If they did some good this election, great, but I still do not believe they acted out of anything but greed and a desire to further their own abhorrent agenda

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 10, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

SOMEONE TELL JCARVER

Re: cops, the dude did his job. we shouldn't lionize an american cop for doing their job. That's literally what they're there for, and we got lucky this time it was at a critical moment versus all the other times they decide 'too hard' and abuse their power.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 11, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

you need to chill out and watch this sick late night talk show monologue where they ROAST the right wing, what idiots!

I'm definitely afraid there will still be a 'what a bunch of maroons' attitude towards them after all of this

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i'm not a fed leo authority but hasn't the FBI been warning about white nationalists and this kind of poo poo for decades and just not gotten to go ham on them yet?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

ded posted:

i wish!

no one runs against her, dem or republican

She had a challenger in 2018 but the libs voted for her because "this isnt the time for an unknown person" and "she knows how to get things done" then after the ACB shir went ,"well yeah of course she did that they're all friends there". California neolibs don't want change unless they benefit and that's a block of 6 figure earners so you get poo poo like people voting yes on 22 because the law says theyre contractors and we can't just change that because that's the legal definition (???)

All quotes and paraphrasing things my lawyer sister said

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

According to the people who do it, never. In reality a few years back.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I consider myself lucky that my parents are both on the far edge of boomer, both born in 47 and 49. My mom worked in mills and worked as a labor organizer and my fathers experiences in vietnam probably helped temper them both against the onslaught of the bullshit in the news. It's baffling to me how people fall into that hole and just don't think or question anything they hear, or just don't care about other people.

Same here, my Mom went to UC Berkeley and got pepper sprayed at protests and stuff. Vietnam made my Dad do an about face on his previous political and social views real quick. Neither of them are very stoked on what's going down, to understate it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Hegel Exercises posted:

Because you people are morons who don’t deserve effort.

I know we don't need more infighting but let's not pretend they aren't right

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The inability to Google things hits real hard

I agree you should Google everything rather than asking a group of people whose opinion you would trust more than random poo poo on Google

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

They're definitely already working on how they get someone like Tom Cotton in to the nomination and HOPEFULLY the Dems get it through their loving heads this is all out war and just don't meet in the middle to heal and give every loving nutjob in Congress that helped make this happen a pass but as a quote I saw said (maybe here?) the only thing more insane than thinking Trump won is that the Dems will use their power

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Godholio posted:

This is the other half of why I'm on there. I understand that most people DON'T want that, though. I signed up for friends & family, I stay for that and dunking on loving idiots.

facebook comment batman maniac being too long for a username is the real negative here

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

A grenade launcher? Is that even remotely legal?

depends where you live. in this context, probably not.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseDamiani/st...ingawful.com%2F

So can they finally remove her from congress now???

the thing about removing her is it would not only undermine the will of the people but also the process of healing and demonstrate Democrats don't want to move forward- Chud Bigly, (R), a district with 9 octogenarians and four cows

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the DNC could have an outright majority and gently caress it up in the name of decorum and working across the aisle

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm more concerned with them doing something to get rid of and jail the Congress members who no poo poo aided the terrorists, but that's probably a losing proposition if I expect anything done.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

And now 4 years of polite fascism

the dems are the party of children being in cages isn't the problem, it's that we KNOW they're in cages that is

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Is this why he's in VW commercials recently?

I just thought he was probably hurting for money like a lot of other hollywood types seem to be lately. Seeing more commercials with Jamie Foxx now than the last time he starred in a movie. Mostly the one for a gambling app.

i'm guessing it's more the whole 'we'll give you this check with many zeroes for very little work' factor

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I remember looking to short them last week and couldn't find shares and thinking 'Oh my God we're about to see the stupidest possible outcome yet a loving gain" and here we are!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

ASAPI posted:

Hahahahah

Even if you had maximum participation, we wouldn't have enough to do poo poo. The Gamestop guys got lucky.

this is just tulip mania. simplest explanation is usually the correct one, in this case yet again that people are insanely loving stupid (unless they saw this coming and had a plan which is probably a VERY small percentage of folks)

robinhood will day one let you make complex trades that absolutely no beginner should be doing on borrowed money. i'm surprised we haven't seen more robinhood trading related suicides.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

I like robinhood. Giving people access to financial markets seems like a good thing to me.

Which can be done via any number of actually loving reputable brokerages. You open a TD or Fidelity or Schwab account and ask for options with zero experience they don't let you. Because that poo poo is dangerous as gently caress. Robinhood is irresponsible, unscrupulous and has allowed people to do an insane amount of harm to themselves that they shouldn't have had the opportunity to get in to in the first place were they using an actually decent brokerage.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 22, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Immanentized posted:

I don't have my Series licenses anymore and I no longer work in FinTech, but there is no real "low cost" trading, you can use a discount brokerage like TD Ameritrade but you'll always have some fee or commission. Additionally, trading is inherently high cost due to the lingering potential that you stand to POSSIBLY lose your entire capital investment.
If you're looking for an investment vehicle, find commission-free ETFs to buy and hold long term (5yr+). I think the market's going to heavily favor Green Energy stuff for the near term, so find a good fund that doesn't include Tesla.

Also consider avoiding Plug Power

TD's Think or Swim platform gives you real time market data with 500 in your account, otherwise you're on a 20 minute delay. They also have a market play back feature that allows you to replay a few months back to 48 hours prior which is extremely helpful if you gravitate towards active trading, which should 100% not be done until you know how to position and swing trade and then should only be undertaken in ridiculously small sizes.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 22, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If you're going to use it on your phone TD Ameritrade isn't bad, be it their normal interface or Think or Swim. Unless you're going to go hard there's nothing they or Fidelity or Schwab can't do for you.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

everyone involved got off easy. one of the SEALs hit on the victim's wife in the aftermath, too. loving bullshit

one of my buddies recently came back from Coronado. as he told it a SEAL CPO gave a talk about how they want men with integrity and told a story of one of his teammates killing a woman just for the sake of it on a raid. he asked the candidates if they would run it up the pole if a teammate did that and my boy raised his hand and was the only guy to in the room. he got dropped from training shortly thereafter despite failing no evolutions. i wasn't there so i can't validate but having known and worked with the guy he's owned every screw up AND given the culture in NSW that tracks

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 25, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s r/wallstreetbets. They’ve been trying this GME thing for a month.

the stock thread in BFC was up on GME a month or two ago or whatever as well. if you want to learn how to YOLO options gamble that's a great place to start on our very own forum.

just kidding you don't learn you just do poo poo then get cleaned out

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You can always invest hundreds of hours in to learning how to read companies books, learning to trade and testing your strategies on small scale, taking meticulous notes, creating playbooks of your best trade setups, doing daily report cards on your performance and journaling, spending your weekend time analyzing charts and identifying setups and stocks for the future and developing a network of other serious experienced traders to learn from and committing to improving a day at a time and recognize it takes years as an alternative to just putting it in index funds if you want to learn to do it yourself.

Or you could YOLO some deep OTM PLTR calls because WSB is on that pump again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The amount of self awareness, discipline and risk management you need to day trade is, shockingly, absent in our society that decided hot tips from reddit are basis for rolling their net worth and also failed to stay home and wear masks during a pandemic.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

The thing that stands out here to me as the novel development is the relative ease of WSB'ers coordinating their actions and actually following through, because of the shared identity of being WSB'ers. There are a lot of parallels to be drawn with the way goons behave in EVEOnline.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...utm_name=iossmf

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah they're just fascists but according to them if we don't want to forget everything that happened and come together right now to heal we're the intolerant ones so holy gently caress let's hope the Dems get it together and go after these idiots :smith:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

fknlo posted:

So many of my coworkers day trade pretty hard now. It's going to be interesting to see their reaction if the bottom falls out since I know some of them have a ton of money in the market right now. And then there's the one that used part of a HELOC to buy more Tesla stock. I don't know if she owns anything but Tesla stock either.

I should probably look into investing since I have a pretty obscene amount of money just sitting in checking accounts(they at least all draw decent interest) but I'm just really lazy and don't give a gently caress. I honestly don't care about making more money and that attitude blows so many of the people I work with away.

I'm one of those weirdos who likes the challenge of trading and how it's a big puzzle. I'm hoping this trait is what leaves me with capital when everything falls apart versus my old coworkers who told me I'm an idiot for not going all in on NIO. Or as Sean, who now won't talk to me because I called him out on being a misogynist says, "It's not a loss until you sell".

Also your coworker is going to probably get wrecked, jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm everyone in here giving investing advice following the wackadoo news of yesterday

Yes the controversial takes of invest in broad sector ETFs or a tracksr or be prepared to put in years to learn to do it yourself