Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

D&D is on the Plane of LARP.

Ravenloft is the intersection of it and the 90’s White Wolf plane.

Wait poo poo now I want planes based on genre, so there’s a Plane of Noir and a Plane of Sitcoms and a Plane of Quirky Indie Romance and poo poo.

This implies potential sub-planes like the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Manic Pixie Dream Girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

change my name posted:

Has anyone run/played Lancer? I picked up the core book in last year’s itch.io bundle and only got around to actually reading it this week since my weekend 5e group was curious. It seems super cool but there are no active roll20 games so I’m not sure if anyone is actually playing

Lancer freaking owns, if you get on the tg discords there are people playing, and the lancer discord is super active.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Find a makerspace and make one out of metal so it makes a great noise when you slam it down.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Bu...30155306&sr=8-6

This and some paint'll get you there fast and relatively cheap.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Never forget that significant chunks of Gor are a college professor writing about college women stumbling into another world and being forcefully disabused of the notion that they have rights or autonomy and that they like it better that way in the end raped until they like it. It is spectacularly loving creepy.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Does anybody remember where to find that fan kiddy version of 4e d&d that somebody made for his daughter?

Been found, http://jamesstowe.blogspot.com/2011/09/dnd-for-dads-2-girls-part-1.html

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 5, 2021

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

or the mutant swordsman guy is covered in dicks, right?

They're worms, you uncultured swine.

The limited edition from the KS is much, MUCH better for not having that godawful cover. I assume it's the original cover, I can't imagine Andy picking it on his own, let alone commissioning it.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all Slay the Spire would need to function as an RPG would be slightly more sophisticated narrative prompts in ? rooms, maybe a little more interaction between story events and what's in your deck. i steal the abstract dungeon navigation part of the game for TTRPG stuff all the time as it is

Card Hunter, but in paper, basically?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tulul posted:

So D&D Beyond released Monstrous Compendium Vol 1: Spelljammer Creatures for D&D 5E today, a free little sampler of Spelljammer monsters to go along with the announcement of the Spelljammer setting books. One of the monsters in it is this unfriendly fellow:

Meet the Goon Balloon. The Goon Balloon speaks by passing air through a "hidden orifice on its underside" and upon death, it bursts into a cloud of noxious, poisonous gas.

:allears:

Someone let mearls make a creature,lol

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Why does it explode in an embarrassing, impotent way.

Mearls still works for WotC.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Dragon Ball

That exists though

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

House of joestar, cowards

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Not having read Feng shui the archetype still seems crystal clear. I presume they can unleash doves to flutter through the sun laced air like the dream of freedom they have abandoned as a minor action

No the doves are free.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

Yeah, the tightness of focus is one of the big strengths of the system, though it also comes with its downsides. I thought Mad Max wasn't exactly what AW was trying to emulate? I remember it was some weird blend of Mad Max and Fallout and a couple of some drat things or other you'd never heard of.

If Zardoz was in the mix, it all makes sense, at least.

It's stuff like tank girl and heavy metal.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

This does sound kind of disappointing, although I guess it's not a shock that most of the SJG warehouse is Munchkin add-on crap. I would buy a deal like that if it were just random old GURPS books, but I suspect I'm a niche market.

yeah, I would never touch SJG's stuff without better definition than "random stuff". Mantic's crazy boxes are better defined, from a smaller set of potential stuff, and I definitely got value from those.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

There was a feat that let you teach animals any non-combat skill, which means you could make an economy based on birds or teach a bird to be your lawyer. I think there was also a slightly unclear thing on whether you could teach animals feats which, if allowed, would turn the whole thing into batshit insanity.

We're running into this in the new L5R edition, where dogs have a special ability to give skilled aid in any one trade skill... which includes Seafaring, Skulduggery, and Commerce. Your dog can help you do crimes and help sell slightly used horses.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I think with Shadowrun I would've preferred like, a fantasy setting that got to that era instead of the real world but suddenly fantasy, but then its heyday was the early 90s and being set in the real world was the thing to do.

Shadowrun is technically both!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I'm in the middle of my third consecutive Legend of the Five Rings game, the first two went six years each and ended on a good end, spawning the next a while later down the timeline. The first one barely made it, though, it was falling apart as it crossed the line, seven players was too many. That one was more adventure-path than homebrew though, using Heroes of Rokugan 1 as the mod set, even if I ended up blowing up a lot of the tracks.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

hyphz posted:

Local indie group is trying a game of mutant crawl classics.

Utterly weird rule: if your dice modifier goes above a dice type, it is added to dice type and subtracted from the modifier.

So if you’re on d20+3 and get another +1, your roll becomes d24+0. So you can now roll 1-3 and couldn’t have before.

Someone thought this was a good idea. I don’t think any of these old designs can be trusted.

This sounds like someone trying poorly to adapt the Cypher rule where if you accumulate +3 in static bonuses, each +3 becomes - 1 roll level instead (technically better since that's - 3 TN and it can take you to 0, making you not roll at all)

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

where tf are the tables + spreadsheets

Good question.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Twobirds posted:

I think they would have a legendary battle, taking days as they are evenly matched, then in a moment of calm, share a smoldering, voiceless exchange, realize who their true enemy is, and go destroy the person commissioning all the women as cheesecake.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Probably, the biggest issue that both the physical game version(both the original Japanese version and the slightly different American version*) and the GBA version had was that they were arguably too random even for a game centered around dice, the odds of potentially going multiple turns in a row unable to do anything because of bad rolls was way higher than it should have been, a new version would need to have some safeguards to minimize that issue

*the two biggest differences are that the Japanese version replicated both every monster having its own unique die as well as the show/manga gimmick of the dice unfolding into the dungeon tiles, the US version instead went with every tier of monster using the same type of die and went with regular dice and seperate dungeon tiles because the unfolding dice didn't roll well and were kind of fragile

The videogame with the unfolding dice was really cool, except for the problem with regularly being able to do nothing. The rules and dice balance definitely needed some work. I feel like twenty years later, though, we could probably come up with a decent solution, possibly involving a small case of modular dungeon tiles to use with non-unfolding dice.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Agent Rush posted:

From my understanding of Dungeon Dice Monsters, it's the third one. If you don't get the rolls to actually put monsters out, none of the other crests actually do anything.

Worse, the high powered monsters had fewer crests in general, making them worse than useless, because if you summoned your lesser monsters you were left rolling "high value" monsters that didn't actually let you do much of anything, but if you waited to luck into summoning the big stuff, you just lost.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Tarnop posted:

I'm not forgetting that, it's just not true of a well designed game. I ran a 1-20 campaign in 4E and when my friends levelled up they coordinated their power selections and always knew exactly what horrible bullshit they were going to pull in the next combat

My poor monsters were the ones being experimented on

Same for FFG L5R. It's amazing the bullshit players will try when the dice can't randomly decide to end them out of nowhere.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Covok posted:

Are there any Kaiju games that isn't about mecha? There is Mecha vs Kaiju, which is awesome, and Titan vs Levithan, which is also cool, but both games are about someone getting a pilotable entity to fight off Kaiju.

I imagined something different. A game where you'd play a bunch of human characters trying to survive the Kaiju assault. And there would be two modes of Kaiju play: shared and Troupe. Shared is like "Everyone is John" where everybody shares a single Kaiju character and can spend a narrative point to control the Kaiju for a scene. Troupe is everyone has their own Kaiju that they can control in Kaiju scenes. The game would have three types of scenes: Human, Kaiju, and mixed. Human scenes only have humans in it. Kaiju scenes are all about monsters. And mixed scenes are about interactions. It'd be a short game and would mostly just follow your classic Kaiju movie plots: you'd have Kaiju vs world (Kaiju(s) that the world is trying to stop), Kaiju vs Kaiju (a kaiju brawl with humans in the middle), and Kaiju saves the world (Kaiju(s) try to stop invaders and humans aid them).

Does this exist or am I going to have to make it?

I'd probably use Belonging Beyond Belonging using Henshin as a basis. It'd likely make it a 20 page microgame and sell it through the workers co-operative I work with. But, I'd love if something already exists because making things is hard.

Kaiju rock.

Last stand.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

There may have been a home campaign, but it didn't belong to Weis and Hickman. They're authors, not dungeon masters.

There was 100% a home campaign, run using the modules, or what became them. It's noted in the original afterword of the first dragonlance book that Raistlin's voice is as it is in the books because that's the voice the player gave them. Weis and Hickman were likely players, not the ones running it, though.

edit: I am actually incorrect, Weis and Hickman also wrote the modules, as a campaign. Then they ran them and novelized them. Terry Phillips was Raistlin's player, and was responsible for both the voice and the caustic wit, such as it was, and constant sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Asterite34 posted:

I appreciate the Tomb of Horrors, not so much as an actual fun thing to do, but as a piece of lore from the earlier days of the hobby, that there were these primordial demigod heroes who could not only clear it, but clear it so effortlessly it was actually a little boring. It's like how you look at the Strait of Gibraltar and hear stories about how Hercules pushes those fuckers into place by hand.

In college I had the reprinted one from Return to the Tomb, which was literally just the original mod, and I started a tradition of running the mod as a pick-up game at the end of each quarter to let people blow off stress from finals. Allegedly, the tradition still continues, at least as of the last time I talked to the club's advisor.