Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

wolfs posted:

the “i reincarnated as a spider, so what!” show is kind of fun

e: the last Evangelion rebuild movie comes out today apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1klJIyx060

Pitch posted:

It's been delayed again because Japan declared a state of emergency over COVID that won't end until at least February. I think it happened like immediately after they released that trailer.
Nature is healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

This just got posted in the berserk thread in adtrw and well, its cspam material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INiLyUnYONE

Lol at the turtle

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

thotsky posted:

I think the Japanese Miracle came about in the aftermath of WW3. As in, apparently the world overcame their fear of nuclear weapons and had a firefight with them, and only Japan had the technology to clean up the mess. Then they had a WW4 with no nuclear weapons... Seems backwards. Makes more sense for the technology to arrive and then have a nuclear exchange.

I don't think it's worry about fallout that kept humanity from blowing itself up. At least I think the main picture in popular imagination was the mushroom cloud and everything being on fire.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bootleg Trunks posted:

How is the new Evangelion movie

You won't trick me, there'll never be a forth.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

No Space War but Space Class War. Newtypism isn't Marxism, it posits that just being in space will turn human beings into psychic empaths that will instantly understand each other and that will end conflict (something something communication over the vastness of space, it's constantly harped on). The shows themselves show that actually, no, material conditions are what put these people into conflict in the first place, and that can't be overcome by just "understanding." It's why there's so many dead girlfriends in the first place.

The Earth vs. Space conflict masks the underlying class conflict. There's still poor people on Earth who serve the neoliberal bureaucrats, and there's still rich people in Space funding armed groups like AEUG and Neo Zeon and eventually Cosmo Babylonia and the Zanscare Empire. Quattro Char fails because he can't imagine just murking the capitalists who told him to invade Jaburo instead of attacking Gryps.

Have you considered:
Forced Space Colonism = Capitalism
Newtypes = the Urban Proletariat

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

00 already started to come apart when they introduced the evil gundams. And it was never all that coherent to begin with.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Counterpoint: Code geass was good

Good points in this post.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

0079s first episode is a criticism of the american military presence in okinawa

Okinawa isn't in space. Checkmate Communists!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

They should remake Gundam Wing. It's message of "drones are bad" is much more relevant today.

Wasn't 00 basically that?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mirello posted:

well my wife and I are like halfway through geass season 2 and I'm sad to say it has become stupid as poo poo. like we'll still finish it because you guys are saying the ending is good, but it's sad. S1 was pretty much a masterpiece imo. any of the movies/ovas worth watching?

Not really. They generally look pretty nice, but not much else.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's only really tangential to isekai but I've been playing some of the muv luv games lately and a certain subplot introducing someone who's been living in a world dedicated to war for 50 years with way higher technology to a game boy and ending up with them getting addicted is kinda darkly funny.

Though tbh muv luv is kinda a weirdly pointed tearing down of the normal gamer hero stuff despite as far as i'm aware coming out well before the huge boom of 'person good at video games uses those skills to save the world'.

Yeah I read those and they were overall pretty good, but also a total fluke. Everything they put out after Alternative was somewhere between deeply mediocre and terrible. And even Alternative only really works because it follows after the mildly amusing romcom. Also they just copied the plot of Armor.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gently caress.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's really a waste. I don't think any author death has hit me this hard since Robert Jordan and not even then.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Truga posted:

broke: pedo comics
woke: chipmunks

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Maya Fey posted:

now that it's ended im reading through attack on titan and it's probably the worst manga ive ever read, just terrible on every level, the art, the story, the dialogue, the characters everything, and it's somehow one of the most popular franchises of all time. and yes it is the children who are wrong

Eh, it has it's up and downs and the dialogue and especially the pacing of same was always kind of bad, but it also had some of the best uses of comics as a medium and of the three big curveballs it only fumbled the last.

Edit:

Darth Walrus posted:

That said, they acquired some deserved early notoriety for their productions going to poo poo whenever the episode count first entered the double digits (Seraph of the End, The Rolling Girls, and the first season of Attack on Titan), and their adaptations are often a bit direct and literal, using panels as storyboards rather than getting truly creative and mapping over parts of a manga that don't work out quite so well in animation (AOT, Vinland Saga, and Ancient Magus Bride have all had these problems). They're a solid studio, but they're not as reliably spectacular at adaptive storytelling as, say, KyoAni or UFOTable (the latter of whom had to put a lot more extra effort into making Demon Slayer a megahit than Wit did with Attack on Titan).

Yeah, I think there were two episodes that the characters spent threatened by the cannons on the wall. They really should have cut a bit of the monologueing to make it flow better, but the same can be said for the comic itself. Just having people shut the gently caress up for a bit would also have improved the ending, come to think of it.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 11:10 on Jun 13, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

AoT is really impressive to me because it's one of a few stories to really dwell on the existential horror of being shackled by the causal chains of history. The more you know about the world the less sense it makes, until the past itself becomes a tyrant that dooms the world to unavoidable cycles of violence.

Yeah, it's pretty great, though it was probably ill served by the manga industry death march pace. Those last few chapters could have done with a few more months in the oven. Or possibly the opposite in that he lost confidence in the first draft and filled it with more words.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

it prob didnt need to be 2 whole seasons though

Didn't feel too long for me, though season two had a bit of a problem in that they forgot about Kudelia for most of it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/weirdwithwords/status/1415831885285056515

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Srice posted:

Now and Then, Here and There is good but also it doesn't criticize it in the same way modern isekai do it, if that makes sense?

Just looked it up and it's twenty years old. Haha. You'd probably need to account for the last 15 years of self-referential bullshit that has piled up around the Isekai genre. Otherwise you're just doing a gritty Narnia.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

even the intro is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQIqgxeNtl0

2nd Gig is one of the best (and most cspam) anime ever made

Might have to rewatch

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Reik posted:

Oh I forgot about the isekai where the "good guys" bring in Hitler to rebuild the human empire so they can fight off Jesus's horde of monsters. Next season of Drifters when?

That's not actually how it goes, though now that I think about it you could argue that the the central racism country is secretly controlled by a jew if you wanted to look at as unfavorable as you can. The Jew in question of course being Jesus.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

He retains his sense of ethics, but those ethics are also twisted into a self-serving rationalization. All the characters in Nazarick were literally built from the ground up by him and his friends in real life, and reflect all of their personalities & values - but being reclusives and outsiders even in the context of the original MMO did not make them good people. Fulfilling their fantasies in a real space has evil consequences. It's a direct challenge to escapist power fantasy.

Yeah, OK, but does it go anywhere? I watched the first season and skimmed through a few of the later novels, but it certainly didn't seem like it did.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It's great actually.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If I was a child soldier in a revolutionary insurgent force I'd simply stop.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

i remember seeing blue gender on adult swim one night specifically because it was named "blue gender". I guess the gender of the giant bugs is the blue gender

Actually the gender is bug

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bro Dad posted:

wolf's rain is better than witch hunter robin because the show actually gets less boring over time

Wolf's rain is only memorable for the very powerful four recap episode combo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

Strikes me that he understand politics strictly aesthetically.

It's this. I also had a look at his fantasy series for some unfathomable reason and he really writes exactly one character, even when there's no super soldier program to have as an excuse.

Serf posted:

morgan turning out to be a transphobe is as hilarious as william gibson being a liberal

also the bebop live action stuff looks like poo poo. animation has some major advantages of live action that just can't be overcome and one of them is that characters made for animation rarely translate well to live action. this is the same poo poo as the dreams of making an akira live-action remake. just imagine what a bad cgi clusterfuck that would be

Why wouldn't Gibson turn out to be a lib? Pretty successful author in his 70s?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Serf posted:

maybe it's just me but i always interpreted this

"And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human."

as a condemnation of capitalists, but i suppose if you think transhumanism is cool it could be read the other way? the sprawl novels depict a pretty lovely future where massive corporations have crushed regular people, so they were definitely an early influence on my political thinking

Sure, I also loved the books. And it's been years, so I may be talking out of my rear end, but I always had the feeling that he was kind of mellowing out in the later books, more happy endings, family, kids. And I'm not saying that his writing lacks authenticity or anything like that, but if you write about a terrible future that comes true in general, but not for you in particular I can see how it can stop feeling real to you. And once your politics don't feel real anymore you're half way to liberalism.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Aug 24, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pitch posted:

I really liked the Altered Carbon books but the next thing I read from Morgan was Black Man/Thirteen and it's just loving Blade Runner with biotruths. The whole gimmick is about unlocking the genes that create true human alpha males and I can easily see the arc between that pile of poo poo and ten years later having a lot of opinions on who should be able to use public bathrooms.

Ah, was that the one where the bad guy is Jesus? Why did I read all those? But, yeah, I still think the Altered Carbon books were pretty neat and everything after that was just worse rewrites.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I started rewatching the Rebuild movies since the last one finally dropped and gently caress. I can't see anything through all those levels of nostalgia. About 20 years since I watched the original series, but I also remember being super excited for those movies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Office Pig posted:

i did, but i'm hesitant to throw it into the depravity canon since that all seemed to have some perceptible thematic conceit working in its favor so you could look at it without thinking about which idolmaster game helped speed along the illustrative process through hours of whacking off

You can always do that. In fact I recommend it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, I finished the Rebuild movies and I have no idea what someone who hadn't gotten his mind blown by the original series twenty years ago would make of them. Even now I mostly feel a sense of dislocation. What's next? GRRM finishing his books?
I'm both too tired and too drunk to really have coherent thoughts, but I liked that the end state was to finally allow them to grow up. I guess that has a lot of meta levels to it, but whatever. Not quite sure about the last shot of Shinji happily wearing the business burka and going to work. Sure, Eva doesn't really want to talk a lot about society on a larger scale than the family, but somehow the idea of the world ending and being recreated, but people still putting on a suit and going to work feels pretty deflating.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Put on the goddamn suit, Shinji.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

This time, mankind will use its own power to bring the apocalypse, and there's poo poo all you can do about it.

Anno may just be fundamentally too old to really get that part of why his work resonated was that there being giant robots, cool space god magic, and a chance at agency is the fantasy part for many of us because the world ending thing is happening and we can do gently caress all, and it's also boring.

That's also true. The way they just churn out absurdly scaled infrastructure projects in reaction to catastrophe feels positively utopian today. Don't they care about their children's debt burden?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lollontee posted:

im only at ganesha and i knew the moment shierke joined up "uu dis bithc gonna die horribly isnt she"

lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pulcinella posted:

Alright so I’ve seen the Gundam 00 movie.

TL;dr is it’s just boring. Even if you like 00, just skip it and imagine everything works out just fine.

- The action scenes are somehow way worse than anything in the TV show, despite having a higher budget and less time to fill. It’s 90% just scenes of mechs spamming beam weapons into the void. It’s not so much that you can’t tell what is happening, it’s just that nothing is happening. It’s like the battle at the end of Tenet where faceless characters are shooting at nothing. You could make a shorter cut of the movie that removed these scenes and you would lose nothing.
- There is almost no character development. It’s all plot, like a Wikipedia summary of itself.
- The movie is accidentally leftist. The official theme of the movie is that only through truly understanding each other can we achieve a peaceful, ideal world. This is of course nonsense and is not what happens in the movie. There is literally a scene at the start of the movie where a corporation tries to assassinate the head of a Middle Eastern government in order to keep the slaves toiling in the space mines. Literally everyone understands each other in this scene and it does nothing to free the slaves. The only time anything changes in this series is because the material conditions change. The Earth turns into a utopia because aliens show up just in time to unite the new, weak world government, and then through the power of magical technology befriend the aliens who I guess share their technology and begin a post-scarcity age.
- Again, this all happens in very boring manner. The first half of the movie is the characters trying to solve the mystery of why weird things are happening, but we the viewers already know it’s aliens so it’s just waiting for the characters to figure it out.

I don't think I've rewatched Gundam 00 since its original run, but drat. That was a show that aggressively had nothing to say about anything.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The ground up view of the human cost of "humanitarian interventions", but all the damage is actuall done by the evil Gundams. The Watchman unite-the-world-with-a-fake-threat plot, but the fake threat suddenly is no longer meant to be defeated when the numbers come out wrong. Geass in full clown getup was more coherent.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TenementFunster posted:

season 1 ruled and season 2 + the awful movie retroactively ruined s1. i think they wanted to make 00s2 the 21st century ZZ

i’m still mad about it

All the spoiler stuff I quoted above was in S1 already. But in S1 you still could hope that it would go somewhere.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

It had the best Gundam names though. Bring Stabbity

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Terminal autist posted:

I started watching the original Gundam and it holds up really well. I like the how the first 10 episodes put a little more focus on logistics and an emphasis that losing even a single ZAKU is really bad. When does all the new-type stuff pop up, I'll probabaly drop it then.

Are you watching the series or the movies? Because the original gundam is probably the only instance where the compilation movies are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

So I can't find any movie past the first or any manga past chapter 62. But it's interesting.

I haven't watched it, but I think the movie is just a slimmed down version of the first four episodes of the series. Correct me if I'm wrong.