Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Zil posted:

Thats when you slap a bigger sign on it stating the same thing.

Somebody needs to sell tags saying "DO NOT loving USE".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Barudak posted:

IT responds to you when you email them???

You know their email address?!?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Weird. Didn't know they export it this far.

Mineral water has been exported from Germany for a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHvj0MJw7z4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

zedprime posted:

The minimum requirement for a management type position is the ability to definitively answer yes or no to steering questions which a houseplant will fail to do. What you really need is a mouse and a maze with two exits.

Or this.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Pekinduck posted:

So much so that in some banking/finance jobs its mandatory that all employees take a certain length vacation each year. No coming to the building or logging in to systems. Its very hard to keep some embezzlement scheme going if someone else has to do your job for a while.00
=

Was that introduced after Nick Leeson brought down Barings Bank?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

It got installed automatically through the usual process that various updates gets pushed out. I saw a notification and then it showed up in the browser. Not sure if it's part of the new Company Portal or whatever.

I actually installed Firefox from scratch after I noticed this extension, and it had it as well. Just like in Edge/Chrome, it wasn't possible to disable the extension through the UI, but I actually managed to just delete the corresponding file from the extension folder. So it's gone from Firefox for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I was surprised by this because I do work for a German megacorp, so I've no idea how (if) they got this through WC approval. Maybe it's already pretty restricted in terms of what it's collecting, but I haven't seen any communication on this. Actually we have a meeting coming up soon so I'll be happy to bring this up.

Spying on employees is generally frowned upon, so the computers aren't really locked down and up to this point they'd only really complain if some outdated or unauthorized software was detected.

Anyway I'm not even looking to disable it completley, I don't care if they see how many hours Excel is open (it's all the hours) but sending all browser requests is a bit much for my taste. Hell I could even keep it enabled in the "work" browser.

I do have pihole but I don't know if it'd be able to capture everything. And it wouldn't work if I'm away from home.

If you’re on a VPN (which I really hope you are for your company's sake) then blackholing stuff on your private network won't do anything.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's when I finally got frustrated enough to quit on the spot. I've asked them three times how/where I can send back my company laptop (they've closed the office I worked in since switching to WFH) and each time they say they'll send me something in the mail and then never do, so now I'm stuck lugging this lovely macbook around forever in case they suddenly decide they want it back one day.

Set them a fixed date at which they must have provided you the means to return their property. Charge them for storage if they don't comply.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

If you decide to keep the laptop, turn to page 37.
If you decide to throw the laptop away, turn to page 56.

There’s nothing about laptops on page 56, there’s just a big derail about bicycles.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'd love to tattle on the superspreaders, but A] everyone would know it was me and B] there's not really anyone to narc to. Most of our management staff have been gleefully wandering around mask-free since last week, and apparently now some of the sub-managers have a floating-desk policy. Got to spend most of the day near one of them, and he's not only ecstatic about breathing all over the place, he's the kind of dudebro who hears that someone doesn't listen to Joe Rogan and listens twice as hard to make up for them.

On the plus side, we're in the glide path of a municipal airport runway, so maybe one of these days a Cessna will finally tear the roof off the sucker. Gotta have dreams, right?

Be the change you want to see, get a pilot’s license.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Outrail posted:

*Scribbling in notebook* Staff happines = assault clients + staff booze.

Anything else or is that it?

I made a big batch of edible gummies on the weekend. Thread thoughts on bribing staff with drugs to get their timesheets in on time? I'm desperate they're so bad at deadlines I'll try anything.

Supply them with gummy bears on a regular schedule for a while. Then, if they miss their deadline, give them the sugar free ones.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Dependency injection is a form of inversion of control. It's squares and rectangles.

So next you'll want us to demonstrate our mastery of inheritance hierarchies, right?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

Hey, look on the bright side - could be worse practices. Ours disabled password changes & resets for users. For passwords that expire every 3 months. You get the password IT assigns you and sends you in a plain text email.

Great.

Could be still worse.
Office tannoy: "SkyeAuroline, your new password is butt3x5fart. Repeat, …"

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My personal game was to apologize but never hang up. "I understand. I'm terribly sorry." Things along those lines while they worked themselves up further and further. It was glorious. Like, if you're mad that I called you why won't you hang up the phone? I'd just keep apologizing until they became incoherent and slammed the phone done, and my day would be improved.

My personal game is to hold the phone up to my smoke detector and let it beep a few times before hanging up. Just because I don’t have anything louder and more obnoxious.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Slotducks posted:

Kanban! Toyota! Good to Great! Agile! The Lean Startup! Toyota! Kanban!

Is it lunch yet?

No mention of Six Sigma Black Belts? For shame.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Escape From Noise posted:

It's a below 4% beer so I don't know if that explains it unless their tolerance is way low.

I thought you were in Japan, or was that another goon brewer? I once had a colleague from Japan who had an awesome reputation in the Japanese branch because apparently he had a genetic mutation for alcohol tolerance that most Japanese lack.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

satanic splash-back posted:

I have to be very sure to right click modify on a very important process chain.

Modify is right next to delete.

Nobody could give me an answer as to what happens if you accidentally click delete, just "don't".

Apple ][ keyboard.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Pineapple in a drawer, vent, or office cabinet is an excellent parting gift. I hear milk and hair in a jar in a warm place is a good one too.

Milk and a handful of dirt in a sealed bottle.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Not much to report on the settlement front with my former employer, but I did have a bit of a scare today.

I was let go on 01/07 and you only get 180 days to file your claim with the EEOC. That deadline is strict af. I had started one before I found legal representation. Part of what I am paying them for is to handle the communications with the EEOC so I don't have to.
Today I got an e-mail requesting I schedule an intake interview. It's already 06/15, so that made me gulp.

I left them a VM then e-mailed counsel. She kindly informed me the local EEOC office had already contacted her and I could safely ignore the e-mail, as they had some questions about my charges and she answered them.
I also asked, since my former employer is making insultingly low settlement offers, if they might come to the table with a more favorable attitude after I get my RTS from the EEOC (basically the results of their investigation) and she advised... well she did that lawyer thing where she said nothing. It was written like this: "If you get a positive ruling from the EEOC they still may not be inclined to settle. On the other hand, if the result doesn't go in your favor you can still prevail. I mean, just say, "There's no telling, bro."

Stand by to stand by I guess.

Don't go to the Elves lawyers for advice, for they will answer both yes and no.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Critical posted:

Going to the US Open on Sunday so hopefully walking around a bit will jar the fucker loose but it hasn't worked yet.

Maybe go to a theme park instead?
Wishing you a speedy recovery in any case.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

TacticalHoodie posted:

Diethylene glycol wine anyone?

That was the Austrians.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Armitag3 posted:

Had a Potsdamer in Berlin yesterday and same: beer and orange fanta.

For shame. Not a Weisse mit Schuss?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

Every manufacturing plant I have ever worked at has had a smoking area infested with skunks, this one's is just right next to the front door lol.

Sooo… what do you use to attract skunks to a smoking area?
There are no skunks where I live :eng99:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've been using the RELENTLESS TRUST training, at least.

... By which I mean I told my boss I was going to build a positive trust cycle with him, whether he likes it or not.

Oh it's TRUST, not… sorry, easy mistake to make.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Carbon dioxide competes with oxygen for hæmoglobin binding and can incapacitate and kill even when oxygen concentration remains reasonable.

Isn’t that carbon monoxide?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Although I still think bunny suits are cool :colbert:

Wikipedia posted:

Because it takes a significant amount of time (at least 15 minutes) to put on and take off such suits properly, one indicator that a clean room may be understaffed is whether suits deposited for cleaning consistently show evidence of frequent accidents (i.e., when a technician was too overwhelmed with urgent tasks to escape from the suit and reach a toilet in time).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Zil posted:

Something Agile this way comes.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

goatface posted:

Use YYYYDDD because you a freak who knows the day number for any calender date off the top of your head.

French republican calendar day names. Today is Chili (27 Vendémiaire), 231; tomorrow will be Tomato.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

boar guy posted:

i need a really great ironic roaring 20's costume that stupid people won't understand to wear to it, any suggestions?

Prohibition era gangster with a Tommy gun in a violin case. When somebody asks, explain at length how well maintained it is and that they can get a demonstration if they want, because the magazine is full.

E: oh sorry, you wrote ironic, not iconic

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Looking up imperial units is fun because outside of the normal inches, feet, yards, gallons, pounds, etc. you have absolute loving nonsense like grains, barleycorns, furlongs, hands, slugs, tuns, etc.

Time to quote my favourite Wikipedia article again?

Tractatus de Ponderibus et Mensuris posted:

And an ounce weighs twenty pence. And twelve ounces make a pound of London. And twelve & a half pounds make a stone of London. And eight pounds of wheat make a gallon. Pound contains twenty shillings. And eight gallons make a bushel of London.
[…]
And two Weys of wool make a sack, And 12 sacks make a last. But a last of herrings contains 10 thousand, and each Thousand contains 10 hundred, and each hundred contains 120.

A last of leather consists of twenty dicker, and each dicker consists of ten skins.

Also a dicker of gloves consists of ten pairs, but a dicker of horse-shoes consists of twenty shoes.

Zopotantor fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 6, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

So, from my understanding it's a relatively new tradition in Berlin to serve Berliner weisse (wheat beer soured pre boil with lactobacillus) with flavored syrups (like the ones you'd use for Italian sodas). I'd imagine it kind of works because Berliner weisse has a semi sweet, tart flavor similar to fresh squeezed lemonade. You also see this with cheaper flavored lambics sometimes where young lambic beers are flavored with fruit syrup at bottling.

New tradition? I sometimes drank Weisse mit Schuss as a kid, nearly half a century ago, and it wasn't new back then.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

lol I got a history degree and ended up making drugs in a cleanroom afterward because I didn't want to be a teacher; then got a job doing microsoldering on accident after throwing out random applications flat broke, because I learned to solder from my grandpa making intricate stained glass.

Checks out

That reminds me of, when I was into electronics as a kid, my grandpa once tried to give me a couple of soldering irons and some solder.

The copper kind of soldering "iron" that you heat up with a blowtorch. And sticks of solder that probably weighed half a kilo each, looked half melted already, and which I’m fairly sure were more than 50% lead. I'm sure they would have been fine for plumbing work…

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Did I open up a can of worms :ohdear:

You just missed the last thread title.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I can hook up the largest knife switch I can find to my computer?

I must hook up the largest knife switch I can find to my computer.

Bonus points for also hooking it to a Tesla coil so that it makes a large spark when you flip it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

goatface posted:

Deci-units are dumb. Centimetres and hectares included.

You missed decagrams.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Outrail posted:

At that point wouldn't it be easier to hire someone to spend a urar remaking the system from scratch in parallel and migrate the data across?

Congratulations. By the time the new manager decides to scrap the rewriting project, you will have half the system rewritten using whatever framework or technology was en vogue when you started, and the other half still be the same crappy mess as before.

Then this will happen again.

And again.

Ask me how I know :shepicide:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Barudak posted:

I promise it is a normal industry and that I have never directly killed anyone.

By the way, Yakuza aren't all illegal under Japanese law. The broad umbrella term for criminal organizations in Japan who can actually be punished by law is "Anti-Social Forces" which is frankly badass.

When we got bought by a Japanese competitor, the most noticeable change in the mandatory yearly anti-bribery training was the specific inclusion of an item about not making payments to "anti-social organisations" and not buying "literature" from them. That latter is apparently how protection money is being disguised.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hewlett-Packard?

That's what I immediately thought of. I worked at HP in the early 90s, at a division making CAD software. The workstation salespeople, who were in a different organisation, would quite happily sell their workstations bundled with our principal competitor's product.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

Volmarias posted:

I had office slippers. It ruled.

My employer provides Birkenstocks to R&D employees.

ESD safe ones. The alternative would be disposable ESD straps, which are less safe and fiddly to attach properly. The instruments we work around are very sensitive to static and really expensive.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

manpurse posted:

First day at my job (I've been here 12 years now) some guy told me the key to success here is:

Never be first, never be last, never volunteer.

That's been the rule in any army, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

skooma512 posted:

*sits in chair backwards*

But you know who else ate at a cookout with prostitutes?

I’m fairly sure Jesus did.