Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They really just should have added iron veins, at a lower spawn rate, to the mountains. Players would still need to go through the swamp to acquire great quantities and to get the wishbone but making people go back to the swamp is kind of a bummer, especially when the quantity of iron is fully dependent on the number of crypts and their contents, both subject to wild swings of RNG.

Iron is the worst part of game, it's so tedious to gather and even the plains recipes inexplicably need a ton of it to craft and upgrade stuff. IMHO plains absolutely needs to have mineable iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

padijun posted:

I had like 800 pounds of scrap iron in the hold of my karve, and I was 90% sure I was gonna do an edmund fitzgerald. but I didn't! I love video games

is there any penalty for cargo/passenger weight?

Idk about the boat, but the cart is much, much harder to move when it has a lot of weight, like absurdly so. You can get around this by someone using the harpoon on the cart puller which is hilarious.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
There's also maybe a Viking hot tub coming?

https://twitter.com/dvoidis/status/1402990836648857603

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The big thing for me is that they are adding new monsters/animals for Hearth and Home, so basically beefing up the existing biomes a bit, which is good.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
All I really want is for them to beef up the existing systems. Mistlands are cool and all, but the world is already huge and we have a good variety of biomes. Would be nice if there were more random landmarks in current biomes (like the trader or the draugr villages), more enemy variety, more gear to craft that promotes different playstyles. They are already beefing up variety in food and housing, so that's a start. Mountain biome for one needs a lot more to do.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
That looks like a cooking oven but I'm hoping it's an incinerator!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm ok with portals not being able to transport ore early on because it would completely break the difficulty curve since it's so trivial and cheap to set up portals all over the map. Being able to completely circumvent carts, transporting by boat or dealing with sea monsters like 2 hours into the game would remove a lot from the game - hell, these are the first parts of the game where the danger starts ramping up and were actually exciting as a new player. That being said, there should be an upgraded portal that you can invest a lot of resources or time into mid-to-late game to freely move resources between permanent settlements.

QoL stuff like being able to replant stuff easily/cleanly is completely fine though and would not be surprised to see in H&H, tbh. And mods that make it easier to build underwater without using silly glitches.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

pik_d posted:

I've just started watching this so I don't know exactly whats in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUxrOEVMoUQ

Feels weird that they are adding more to the plains, it feels like the plains already has plenty of stuff that require you to colonize it in a way that none of the other biomes do. Really would like to see the mountains get beefed up a bunch, it has the least depth of any of the biomes (save Ocean, which is barely implemented), and I love building castles up there.

e: I do remember the video where they showed the two-handed crystal axe that makes me hopeful that farming elementals or drake nests might be a thing at least.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Idk how it scales late game, but in a new game/new character, Bronze Age the food/stam felt fine. Double meat + yellow mushroom/queen's jam felt like it did before and rolling double stam food for mining/logging even felt way better than before. I think the serpent meat did have something comical like 5 stamina, and the late game food was obscenely broken before so I can see some pain points. I was able to deal with several trolls in leather armour/crude bow using dodge rolling without any stam problems - I can see how Fulings might be a problem without the OP food from before though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Bussamove posted:

I really just want some automated defenses. Give me weird rune-guardians or some poo poo. I’ll give up an eye and hang on a tree for nine in-game days if I have to.

Yeah they should take the ward and make an upgrade that can shoot eye lasers to clean all of the shitters out of your walls and moats!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

SamLikesCake posted:

Has anyone found any onion seeds yet? The wiki says they're in chests in the mountains, but I've scoured two whole new mountains since the patch and haven't found a single one.

Yeah I found them in a chest in the run-down log houses up there

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The wolf swarm event is already near certain death in iron, I couldn't imagine troll armour lol

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Eschatos posted:

Gave Yagluth a shot with three friends last night. God drat that dude does not gently caress around. Even with everyone whacking it with blackmetal weapons we were not even outpacing its health regen. Do you basically just need max level weapons to have a shot. Or would it be more worthwhile to switch to silver.

Like Bonemass he’s super weak to frost and spirit damage so bring some Frostners and/or frost arrows and you should have no problem

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Not using the time she lands to hit her with melee attacks probably didn't help.

This thread is sometimes weirdly melee-averse and keeps commenting that such-and-such boss took ages to whittle down with arrows. The Elder, imo, is really the only one who is better engaged at range. I just used my bow to keep pressure while flying.

Or used the flying phases to kill the adds. Parrying a golem and switching to the pickel while they were staggered does loads of damage really fast.

Moder in particular has terrible melee hitboxes and the locations that the game spawns her in tend to be loving terrible for melee (and her attacks deform the terrain to make it even worse). Also sometimes when you go into melee she just glitches and pins you down in place until she flies again.

It's a poo poo boss. It really needs a large pre-constructed arena like all the other bosses to be remotely functional.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

I still haven't found a single tar pit. My experience so far has been wandering around the plains while picking off a deathsquitos and a gob or two until I stumble across a whole swarm of them, forcing me to run away in a different direction. Rinse and repeat. I heard the tar monsters are a pain in the butt. What's the best way to dispatch of them?

You can outstrafe them like the javelin goblins or if you are feeling frisky you can dodge roll through their attack to close the gap, they have a long cooldown before they can attack again

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
valheim-map.world/

If you don't want to look up your seed, you can just sail around. The trader icon thankfully shows up fairly deep into fog of war, so just skimming the coasts of black forests is usually enough to find it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Completely walling off your base and making it so enemies outside can't see your you or your workbenches/smelters usually curtails their aggression to a manageable level. Before I did it at every base it was just a constant stream of enemies in every biome. You can also dig out trenches around your base that enemies can't cross but I've never really found the need to.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
New dev update: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3061877729280651184

Mistlands is getting a big facelift for its implementation and mountains are getting some love. Proper caves, finally?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I hope we get something cool, but my expectations are tempered after H&H. I would settle for some bug fixes at this point, the world that I had been playing most recently has buggy crypts that crash the game when I walk into specific spots and it sucks a lot.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm not disappointed in the Valheim devs, I'm disappointed in all of the other games in its genre which are all varying levels of dogshit. I want more Valheim to play, and the only thing I have found to scratch that itch has been Terraria.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

pik_d posted:

It's definitely not the same story/setting but I've been loving Subnautica recently.

Yeah I've been meaning to try it for a while, been sitting in my catalogue for like two years, not sure if it will scratch the same building itch but the exploration looks fun

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, how much has this been updated since release? Is there a new biome yet?

I checked the latest patch notes and they said pet wolves don't howl anymore. Took them a while lmao

There was only one somewhat major update that did a lot of little combat and food changes and seemed to really buff the rate of monster spawns (and foraging spawns anecdotally) and added new monsters + materials to the plains, and a very small update that added a new monster and gear for the swamp. No new biomes.

There are several mods that have fleshed out the existing unfinished biomes though.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Doesn't stop the ghosts tho

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Burns posted:

Thats good and all but i want it now.

Also, i canot for the life of me find the merchant. Fucker is no where to be found.

There’s no shame in plugging your seed into valheim world generator and flipping on the merchant button to give you an idea of where to look. The belt he sells is such a huge QoL buff to miss out on.

They really should have a vegvisir that points you to the merchant location.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Rope climbing would be rad and fit well with Mistlands

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

BrianRx posted:

I have played 400+ hours of Valheim and had never experienced a crash until last night, when I had two. I'm running a dedicated server with a friend that I set up with, what I now know to be, fairly non-standard tools and configurations. Both times, it happened in a particular place in a swamp and wiped about an hour of work from the character (but not the world). Anyone else encounter this? Seems like a bad chunk or maybe object that loads when I get within a certain distance of it. I'll just avoid that area for now, but now I'm nervous about it happening anywhere new. My friend and I played at different times so he may have done something, but I can't think of what. Is anything documented or has it happened to anyone else?

edit: the server seemed to be unaffected by the crashes. It stayed up the whole time and was reachable immediately after I relaunched the game.

The only time I ever crashed was on my fourth world when entering one crypt in the swamp and going to the first room on the left would crash me 100% of the time instantly

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Would be nice if they added stuff that made day-to-day base operations in "conquered" areas easier. Like a bonfire upgrade that annihilates deathsquitos, or anti-damp cloaks for the swamp, etc. Should also be a way to just eradicate spawns around your base, this is especially bad in the mountains where the drakes (which are never even a threat) will just constantly break your castle roofs over and over lol

e: Could be a good use for trophies, turn in biome trophies to the trader to buy a bug zapper!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It would be neat to see more variety within the biomes, even if it is just an A/B option. Like a hot/cold version of the swamp that looks a little different and has different resources and wildlife that are equivalent in tier level. Or alternatively more 'setpiece' locations with abnormal mobs/resources like the draugr villages in meadows for the other zones.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I like the stuff they've shown in the dev updates, I just wish they gave a release window for Mistlands. If it's Fall, fine. Next year? Fine. I just wanna know lol

e: Also, the game is already being ported to console, but a third-party is doing it so the devs are all 100% focused on Mistlands and beyond

Firebert fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 11, 2022

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of dumb poo poo the devs apparently really want you to do, is there any good replacement/improvement for fishing? Would be very nice to be able to craft fish farms and just plunk them down in the pools where fish spawn. As far as I can tell nobody has really come up with a good terrain mod/build system to beach them automatically either.

They are revamping fishing at least a little bit with the next expansion, don't know about fish traps but it might be possible since they are adding traps for use on land in Mistlands https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/6128850732742902908

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/4649425839615258188

Another update, sounds like Mistlands could actually be dropping next month. Their composer tweeted yesterday about new music coming out 'soon' as well!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Valheim has ruined me for other survival games. It’s hard to get past how annoying the survival mechanics are in stuff like Raft and Grounded are compared to Valheim. Astroneer was a lot of fun with friends, though. Still I need Mistlands to come out soon, I need another hit…

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

acumen posted:

Funny I found Grounded had so many QoL features I'm having difficulty returning to Valheim. I know a lot of it can be modded away but still, feels pretty bare-bones in comparison. That being said the general atmosphere and ambiance of Valheim is unsurpassed in survival games.

Was not really a huge fan of raw meat and cooked food expiring in Grounded, not sure what the point of that was. It also had the same issue for me as Raft did where you need to use resources to repair your gear (though to be fair, the mats were nowhere near as frustrating to get as in Raft lol). Difficulty curve was really off for us as well. I guess I just really prefer the simple and casual atmosphere of Valheim more.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Satan himself couldn't have made a worse Elder spawn

Took two in game days to sail around the island, which is almost entirely plains and swamp on the eastern side, with the Elder platform being in a circle of Black forest completely engulfed by Plains with a strip of Black Forest running to the ocean that was about the width of two boats lmao

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Mistlands is definitely a little overtuned. Either the Gjall and Warriors need to be toned down a bit or the terrain needs to be flattened out a bit. I couldn't imagine doing it solo. The rewards for it are also kind of mediocre (the weapons are pretty cool at least). Also the Gjall fire damage doesn't even seem to be affected by fire resist mead. The atmosphere and the art design are cool, definitely wouldn't be diminished by having less annoying terrain though!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Honestly a 4 person team expanding to 50 can do way more harm long term than a team falling behind a little bit on their release schedule

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The tweaks look good, no more bug raids on non-endgame bases is a nice change for co-op servers and hopefully the Gjall spawn rate decrease is significant...they spawned so much outside our base lol

Kinda wish they would demonstrate what they want us to do with the ballistas -- it's nice that they seem to be more efficient and effective at actually killing monsters but they still shoot friendlies...

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I climbed up this weekend on the beta build and the changes to Mistlands enemy spawning feels really good. I didn't even see a Gjall for the first couple of hours exploring Mistlands and when I did, the nerfs to the projectile made it significantly easier to deal with.

They still really need to take another crack at the topography and worldgen though:
1)When you are not in the valleys, mistlands is really annoying to get around
2) The mist reveal radius should also probably be doubled
3) So far my maps have been 2/2 having Moder pawns surrounded by mistlands which both really suck for getting to it but also seems to warp the topography of the mistlands even more lmao. The views from the mountain of the surrounding unshrouded mistlands is really great though, which also makes me wish for more visibility, it really is a spectacular biome.

Feels like Mistlands was meant to launch with either ropes or a grappling hook, would make a lot of the janky hopping parts much more tolerable. Or explosives to blast through sheer rock walls!

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
The helm from the new swamp monster largely nullifies the most annoying part of the swamp (and the boss) and the chest armor is actually useful in the mistlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Easy way to deal with Aboms is to kite it over a surtling pit, it annihilates them fyi. Also just taking your lumps they are really easy to learn how to parry since their telegraphs are super deliberate. Idk the swamp kinda rules aside from the wet debuff. It has a ton of every midgame resource you will want and good enemy variety.

e: also if you want to super cheese crypts and make them trivial, build the Stagbreaker. When you are halfway through the gunk and see enemies in the other room you can just spam slam with the Stagbreaker and kill them all without being attackable.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 20, 2022