Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hey, here's your new Cornette quarantine thread, I guess.

Mod Edit:
This thread needs some rules and clarification, and maybe a little bit of a FAQ.

Actually it just needs one rule:

:redflag:Defense of Jim Cornette and his hateful views will not be tolerated under any circumstances.:redflag:

Rarity posted:

He's a racist sexist homophobe who was a big player in the wrestling scene in the 80s and 90s who now mostly does podcast/talking head stuff which involves saying a bunch of heinous poo poo which most people don't want to hear about so the Cornhole exists so the people who do want to talk about it can talk about how much he sucks

disaster pastor posted:

Jim Cornette is a hugely significant figure in wrestling history. He was one of the most talented managers and best talkers of the 80s and early 90s, and went on to work behind the scenes in a lot of orgs as an adviser or booker, including his own fed, Smoky Mountain Wrestling. He's less involved now, but he continues to watch and comment, and his stature in wrestling means those comments sometimes make the news.

The problem is that his comments these days tend to be racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise bigoted; we can provide plenty of examples. Having them in main threads was a huge bummer, so when it became clear that he wasn't going to improve or change, he got shunted into his own thread.

Critical posted:

this thread is 51 pages detailing how cornette has called people pedophiles because he doesn't like how they wrestle, been extremely racist towards joshi wrestlers, wished death on multiple people in a profession known for people dying early, was so racist against arabs that his co host quit, said women don't belong in the main event, said a woman shouldn't be on tv because she's a "butterface", complimented grizzly smith, who was a monster who raped his daughter, on multiple occasions, got extremely mad a cartoon dog died and then took credit for bringing him back, assaulted his coworker and then called the cops on said coworker when they got in his face at a con, was so unhinged about vince russo russo was granted a restraining order against him which he then released to the public (this was kinda funny ngl), said they should lean into the fact nyla rose is trans and have women refuse to wrestle her because she's actually a man, and once poo poo himself on commentary from drinking too much sprite

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

What about Dave Mustain? Can he come in? He kinda sucks but c'mon, have you HEARD Hanger 18?

Don't make me tap the sign.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh, is that where that whole thing about Cornette dropping n-bombs comes from?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What a pathetic little man.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"The ring is sacred ground for US," he says.

Didn't this dipshit book some goobers in Ninja Turtles costumes? And wrestle them?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

FullMetalJackoff posted:

Owen would absolutely sell OC's sweet shin music kicks like he'd been shot with a tank rifle.

While probably leaping from foot to foot with each devastating kick delivered, while going "ooh" and "aah" and grimacing in pain with each kick.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

Lol cornette is a danger on commentary as evidenced by his NWA snafu

Plus, like, this poo poo:

(warning, lots of uses of that word that starts with the letter "n")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzvftFOhq8

All of his comments about this incident that I've come across is about him justifying his use of that word, directly at a black man.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Brian Zane articulated it quite nicely a couple of years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7mpZkmd8w

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What the hell is even going on in this picture?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dodgeblan posted:

I've been listening to cornette because apparently i have an endless appetite for stupid youtube poo poo

I get that the bucks and omega hatred is kind of a work, but it's so weird to me the way cornette acts like they invented making a joke out of pro wrestling. Pro wrestling has been a joke for like 40 years at this point.

I guess like a garbageman that wrestles isn't exposing the business as long as the garbageman is roided out of his mind

It's, as Brian Zane pointed out, is mentioned, part of a cacophony of angry white men on the internet, going into a collective hysterical screaming fit and conniptions over poo poo, no matter how hypocritical or idiotic it makes them appear, which is then mindlessly regurgitated by a troop of Notice Me Senpai wannabes like that Girl on Cinema pillock, you know, the losers who make "popular thing" not appealing to them the entirety of their personality.

Like, let people enjoy poo poo, you fossilised plum.

Davros1 posted:

Just don't ask Cornette about the mummy

Hey, it's a better film that people remember it being, and holds up remarkably well all things considered, and Brendan Fraser deserved better.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

He also complains about Suzuki's stuff looking weak/fake and like... what the gently caress is he talking about? I've literally been in the room for a Suzuki match, he's either really hitting the other dude... or working snug enough that it doesn't matter.

One thing I also noticed about Suzuki, and this is to his credit, when he goes wild on the Young Lions and batters them with a chair, I don't think I've ever seen him hit them in the head.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Omega and the bucks should wrestle in turtle costumes

I mean, FTR wrestled as frogs the other day. Does that count?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Destroy My Sweater posted:

the first 45 seconds of this clip feel like an evil shadow realm cumtown riff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yats_GKbeQU

Also, Cornette defends AEW referencing WWE throughout the MJF/Punk promo because 1) it made the back-and-forth feel more real/personal and 2) the crowd is aware of all of the things being referenced and it's silly to pretend they aren't. He also notes that you'd never see anything that "real" or "legitimate" in WWE because of the ridiculous way they write and present promos. I imagine a lot of Cornette's true believers feel conflicted at this point lol

Don't gotta hand it to Boko Haram and all, but it's funny how if Cornette is able to get over himself and give his shouty ranty stick in the mud gimmick a rest for 5 minutes, he can make valid and insightful points.

The racist prick is still welcome to gently caress off the nearest cliff, mind.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

Wow, Bully Ray is such a nuanced person. He's not all about the heat. Sometimes he just wants to plain suck too.

When has he not?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Bubba Ray can eat poo poo while he's shutting the gently caress up. Who the gently caress is he to play morality police with Mox saying "gently caress" when the poo poo he spewed out of the sphincter grafted on to his fat loving face every time he held a mic in ECW in his stupid fat hands is a matter of record.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What's the point of a nickname, when you can't even tell whom he's talking about?

Oooh, I can't stand that Spangthrob Fhhh-Tang-Hwohp* and anyone that knows anything about wrestlemans doesn't book him!

*I'm talking about Jay White. Keep up, jesus!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Is he suggesting Jungle Boy is gay or trans or whatever?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lamuella posted:

See, that actually sounds funny.

Yeah, WCW would sometimes strike gold, in comedy terms, like Norman Smiley: unwilling Hardcore champion

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Note: past tense

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

he's also concluded that Starks is being hidden, while reviewing a segment where Starks had two matches in a row and then an amazing promo leading into an angle that is going to be followed up on this week. after he's just been involved in the tag title scene and been on TV or PPV every week.

Ah yes, hidden in plain sight.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Whenever Jay Lethal appears onscreen, that's a signal that it's sleepy time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

7 or 8 years ago maybe, when his shtick was relatively novel. Since then, he's screamed and shouted himself into a pit of irrelevance.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Ironically 8 years ago was his anti-Muslim rant that ran off his co-host at the time.

Oh poo poo, it was that long ago? I thought it was more recent than that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Can't wait for them to inevitably publicly tell him to gently caress off.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Eugene was a character that in hindsight is offensive as gently caress, and overstayed his welcome, but definitely could have been much, much worse.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Go RV! posted:

If Jim Cornette was a racist or sexist, i think we'd probably have heard him say something racist or sexist

https://sports.yahoo.com/jim-cornette-resigns-from-nwa-following-racist-comment-on-broadcast-211759449.html

At some point he would have said something hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OzvftFOhq8

I just don't see it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/qkpjgh/comment/hixwbdt/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

He doesn't have a history of anything like that, and I think you're all jumping to conclusions.

Oh hey remember that really incredible and breathtaking joke that was so amazing he had to tell it twice, like 20 years or so apart, about Ethiopians and fried chicken that was a real haha-larious knee-slapper?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

if you actually listen to this then you will find that he is telling a story about calling someone a friend of the family in the middle of a wrestling ring in the context of being a heel wrestling manager. at the end of the video he says that he believes that someone shouldnt get special threatment due to the color of their skin and that the right thing to do is to threat everyone the same. the united states is a disgusting country with a long history of white supremacists exploiting black people but i do not believe that jim cornette is one of those white supremacists.

Quoted for posterity.

Also, what are you hoping to achieve with this?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

C'mon guys, Corny is a Family Guy guy, not the Simpsons.

Cornette? This reminds me of the time a really racist thing happened and also hosed my wife while I stood in the corner of the room rubbing one out.

Did I do it right?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Dont kinkshame you sex bigot!

Considering that he forced his kink on OVW talent when he was booking there for WWE, he can get hosed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Coming into my Cornman quarantine thread to espouse one's love for him is quite the mood.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

Answer my question then:

Why don't you respond to my demands that you engage with my whataboutism?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

loving hell, guy. Cornette is a massive shithead and you're not going to well actually everyone here into loving him. Dude is seriously claiming his moron followers harassed Warner Bros into allowing Mark Briscoe on TV and adding in a "or maybe it was Tony or whoever" in some kind of mealy mouthed attempt at impartiality.

Yeah love to turn a beloved wrestler's death into an opportunity to big myself up, what a loving ghoulish shithead.

Uh, speak for yourself. I will now decide to overlook his rampant sexism, misogyny, racism and the fact that he's a weird sex creep, and declare my never-ending devotion to Cornette. All hail the Cornman, the Cult of Cornette is forever.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

You're just getting angry over a perceived thing that he didn't say, it's all just confirmation bias. From saying he is taking credit for Mark's return to that he had Terry Funk break Taker's streak to Wrestlemania (disproved with a screenshot within about 3 posts) it's the same Arrested Development narrator voice thing again and again ITT.

HE SAID THIS!

"He, in fact, hadn't said this".

If you hear him take credit for it (rather than talking about wrestling fans in general taking to Twitter) then feel free to clip and share. I think he cares a lot about the Briscoes and his podcasts sections on them have always been loving and respectful, as well as entertaining. Sorry you can't enjoy even just some fun Jay stories.

Shut up

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Penguin Patrol posted:

If anyone would like to suggest anything else, I'm all ears, but I think that's all that's necessary right now.

Yeah, if your username rhymes with “Bausu Busher,” gently caress off.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I cannot find any trace of "Blessed" by Eric Bischoff on google.com. Was it retitled "Grateful" or is that a follow-up?

I think Blessed may have been one of the Vince Russo books. I'm pretty sure he wrote some piece of poo poo with a title along those lines.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

His first memoir was FORGIVEN so very close.

Aye, that's the one I was thinking of.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Plus, like, aren't major American sports leagues basically split into several internal leagues and conferences within the overarching league structure?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I love it when Cornette shares his political opinions. Because he's a mainstream liberal, and a great look at what that actually means, unfiltered.

Dude also has a history of horrific islamophobia, like literally calling for the deaths of anyone that prays towards Mecca levels of it. This sort of poo poo is entirely on brand for this pillock.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Girl on Cinema

Huh, I wonder what ever happened to this fuckwit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Stephen Pnew