Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://about.skechers.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/SKECHERS-USA-STATEMENT-UYGHURS-March-2021.pdf

EDIT: To be clear, Skechers released this statement in response to Nike issuing a statement expressing "concern" about the use of forced labor in the production of cotton from Xinjiang. Their claim is based on a claim by the Australian Strategic Policy Institue: https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/nike-apple-supply-chains-forced-uighur-labor/573556/

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 14:06 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Relevant Tangent posted:

Put quite simply if what the Chinese are doing to their own citizens was being done to Americans by Americans other Americans would rightfully call it a genocide.

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1374235302945026049

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

No one in Cspam defends this. It's also extremely stupid to equate the two. There's a much better example under FDR.

the post I was responding to was that "Americans" would call this a genocide, and insofar as you may well be correct that no one in CSPAM defends Biden's concentration camps, I think it's pretty clear that there's no consensus across Americans as to whether what the US is doing at its border even deserves to be called concentration camps, much less that anything be done about them

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So is no one else going to acknowledge this post, or...?

someone went to Xinjiang and never came back. Are we supposed to assume that "never came back" is supposed to mean he was killed or something?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah and that's Extremely Bad, and my assertion is that's what's going on in China is Probably Bad, maybe even Extremely Bad. But I think it's been conclusively demonstrated here itt that the stories of organ harvesting or whatever are all bullshit.

once you've gotten to the point where you're willing to acknowledge that "China isn't doing to the Uighurs what the media and the American government keeps insisting they are", the next step is to acknowledge that "whatever it is that actually is going on in there is not sufficient grounds for imposing sanctions on them, trying to form power blocs to encircle them, sailing ships close to their waters, and generally trying to provoke a hostile confrontation with them"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

Why bother?

https://shahit.biz/eng/#evidence

We can start here I suppose. Folks do these people work for the state department?

https://twitter.com/DanielDumbrill/status/1289523972862668801
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1316777350789500928
https://twitter.com/RodericDay/status/1287426960965197825

love too be a China watcher

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/08/08/national/social-issues/uighurs-japan-speak-plight-kin-back-china/

I'm sure these Uighurs in Japan with similar allegations of disappearances to the account posted earlier in the thread also work for the US state department

https://twitter.com/ajitxsingh/status/1373786051513303047

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What would Max Blumenthal need money for

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nathan Ruser works for the ASPI, a think tank funded by the Australian MOD and American weapons manufacturers

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's the same poo poo you see with Tara Reade: no network is going to air your story about how the US government totally sucks, so you're forced to go to the only one that'll give you a platform, and then oops turns out going on RT means you're a Putin puppet now

Wonder why you had to go on RT in the first place, surely MSNBC would have let you oppose the State Department narrative right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god dude this is the same loving study!

They interviewed eight people and extrapolated their testimony to apply to the rest of Xinjiang!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN1KV1SU

Are we also throwing out this report from the UN human rights panel?

quote:

The allegations came from multiple sources, including activist group Chinese Human Rights Defenders,

This was the same group you just linked!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It might be worthwhile to look up the main definitions used for genocide because you very emphatically do not need a literal holocaust-type extermination system to be a genocide by every major definition. Considering china itself has officially acknowleded that they're trying to stamp out uighur culture and forcibly assimilate them via re-education and occupational training, idk how you dispute that when that's what china is doing according to their own official account of the purposes of the camps... and it clearly meets the accepted definitions of genocide.

Like that's before even touching foreign sources or anything else, the official story that they're choosing to push for what they're doing is already horrifying.

It's not about whether "cultural genocide" is or isn't a thing

The issue is that China is being accused of the literal, Holocaust type of genocide regardless

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
NGL I was planning on going to Urumqi back in 2019 because the flights were cheap and China Daily made the place look amazing in the winter

Then Covid happened

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

if the us wanted to go to war with China we would have actually just invented poo poo about covid, that was the best opportunity not mistreatment of muslims

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1246170496669847553?s=19

https://twitter.com/IlvesToomas/status/1368912499232358410?s=19

https://twitter.com/DrAdeleDiamond/status/1251952133580054529?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It also bears noting that the allegations surrounding Xinjiang are part of a larger milieu of capital-B Bad Things that China has been accused of doing over the years:

* oppression in Tibet

* repression of the so-called Hong Kong independence movement (who turned out to be Trump-supporting hooting reactionaries)

* a pending invasion of Taiwan (any day now)

* infiltration of South / Latin America

* cyber-attacks on the United States

* specifically Huawei being a used as a platform for spying (leading up to a ban on their products, which is really just another way to suppress a potential competitor to Qualcomm and the likes)

* "debt-trap" diplomacy, especially with regards to Africa

* "vaccine diplomacy"

and then COVID, which I do want to highlight, because there's a parallel to Xinjiang discourse in that even if you talk someone down from the position of "COVID-19 was a genetically-engineered bioweapon" as overblown kookery, the same way we might say "well, they're not LITERALLY death camps", people are still prone to land on the marginally softer position of "okay, so China didn't CREATE the virus, but they did hide news of it when it first came out, and therefore they bear responsibility for its spread, which could have been contained more if only The World Knew Sooner"

Or, more recently, the allegation (as I'd posted earlier in that Politico piece) that China still isn't saying The Whole Story about what went on in Wuhan, which shifts the discourse from "we know they're doing something bad", to at least "it's unknowable at the moment", which still leaves the door open for something more nefarious without having to commit to a specific narrative.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
to be clear, when I look at Dolphin posting an article from the Japan Times about a conference of Uyghurs in Japan that talk about their experience with being unable to reach relatives in Xinjiang, and I find a link back to the Japan Uyghur Association, and I that that organization is an affiliate of the World Uyghur Congress, and I point out that the World Uyghur Congress is backed and funded by the National Endowment for Democracy...

... that's not to say that the accounts of those people in Japan are false. I'm sure there are people who are being completely honest and sincere about their stories of being unable to reach relatives in Xinjiang, or their knowledge that their relatives have been detained outright.

The reason we link back to the US government is because giving these people a public forum to air their grievances plays into the US government's agenda. I'm not saying they're liars*, I'm saying that these people are only having their voices amplified by the US government for the US government's purposes. That doesn't make them bad, so much as the people like Mike Pompeo or Tony Blinken who exploit the truth of their accounts in the name of jingoistic propaganda.

I make this reflection explicit, in the spirit of having a nuanced discussion.

___

* though as we've also seen from the likes of Zenz (or the Nayirah Testimony from an older era), it's also not beyond-the-pale for other things to be made up whole-cloth anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

That's not what happened. I posted a random list of sources that I intentionally didn't read and ya'll pick and chose the ones you responded to, which happened to be the ones associated with people you didn't like. You attacked a list of alleged victims because the guy compiling the list said he didn't purport to its accuracy. There was one or two that you had logical objections to, like the study with 8 respondents.

actually no I take it all back if you're going to invoke the puppetmaster defense and play "I was only being cognitively deficient, as a joke" you can GO gently caress YOURSELF

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

So again, I said what I was going to do before I even did it.

blow it out your rear end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

You seem very reasonable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if the US isn't actually going to start poo poo with China because they're too strong to be militarily defeated and their economies are too intertwined, then what is the point of all the poo poo the US has already started, that has already negatively affected America's economy because of the aforementioned intertwining?

because if America isn't actually smart enough to avoid loving with China to its own detriment (which we know they are because they've already done that, and are continuing to do that), then that means the economy argument isn't enough to stop a war, so what is the guarantee that America isn't also smart enough to avoid loving with China militarily?

and that's to say nothing of the objective of all the objections the US is raising to China's practices in the first place. If the US was never going to do anything about it, why even bring it up?

It's not like it's independent journalists doing work with regards to China and telling the rest of the world to do what they will with the information, the US government has taken an actual position on this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

like why are they citing him at all given his clear bias and, frankly, poor mental state?

the point is that they don't mention his clear bias and his mental state because they know that that would be instantly disqualifying

it's like with Nathan Ruser: you go to his profile and it says he works for the "ASPI ICPC": then you go to ASPI's profile and it says they're "an independent, non-partisan think tank on Australia's defence and strategic policy"

independent and non-partisan! That means if they show you satellite imagery of a building in Xinjiang and claim that it's a concentration camp, that means they don't have a special interest towards China, because they're independent and non-partisan, right?

it's basic loving media literacy that if the news cites an "expert" or a "think tank" that you highlight the name, right-click, select the option to google it, and find out who's cutting the checks because nobody ever admits it right in the article because they want you to think the information is just pure and free-floating to be plucked out of the airwaves like manna from the God of Neutrality

and frankly it's insulting that this is being portrayed as somehow an "ad hominem"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

It is. Now obviously informal logic doesn't always have to be the rubric we follow but it's good to keep in mind when your only argument is that you don't like the sources.

I don't like Adrian Zenz as a source because he slept with my mom, I don't like Adrian Zenz as a source because he lies about what he says!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Junkozeyne posted:

I guess to the point of why isn't China just openly releasing everything to let people see for themselves is that it still wouldn't deter the USA.

100%

China let a WHO delegation do an investigation into Wuhan and the US response was that they were still hiding something regardless.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Prince Myshkin posted:

The famous Soviet death camps of Auschwitz, which the Soviets also deviously liberated, perhaps as some elaborate form of Asiatic trickery.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know what you mean contemporary stuff but like... Genghis Khan just to start with.

America is a baby and has done plenty to instill itself as a warcrime champion in its short time but... like... let's not get silly here with the history

note to the mods: if the thread keeps producing content this incredible, I would argue to keep it open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dolphin posted:

if the us wanted to go to war with China we would have actually just invented poo poo about covid, that was the best opportunity not mistreatment of muslims

gradenko_2000 posted:

and then COVID, which I do want to highlight, because there's a parallel to Xinjiang discourse in that even if you talk someone down from the position of "COVID-19 was a genetically-engineered bioweapon" as overblown kookery, the same way we might say "well, they're not LITERALLY death camps", people are still prone to land on the marginally softer position of "okay, so China didn't CREATE the virus, but they did hide news of it when it first came out, and therefore they bear responsibility for its spread, which could have been contained more if only The World Knew Sooner"

Or, more recently, the allegation (as I'd posted earlier in that Politico piece) that China still isn't saying The Whole Story about what went on in Wuhan, which shifts the discourse from "we know they're doing something bad", to at least "it's unknowable at the moment", which still leaves the door open for something more nefarious without having to commit to a specific narrative.

gradenko_2000 posted:

100%

China let a WHO delegation do an investigation into Wuhan and the US response was that they were still hiding something regardless.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/545062-redfield-tells-cnn-he-believes-origin-of-the-coronavirus-pandemic-is-a-lab