Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Think it's time to replay this, had a character building question.

If I have two overlapping thoughts,

One of which raises, say, "all learning caps" to 3

Then another which gives, say, " All FYS (Physical/Pink) learning caps raised by 1"

Assume I started with a FYS of 1, with my Signature Skill in FYS. Is my new FYS learning cap 3, 4, or 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sebzilla posted:

What's your favourite voice acting in the game, other than Kim?

I'm a big fan of Siileng.

On this playthrough, La Revacholiere. The few times she speaks, everything hangs on her voice like a spell, as it should..

Random question: Is "eternite" the game's word for "plastic" or something else? Is it a real thing or a game thing?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 12, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
From a narrative viewpoint, if Everart were likeable or Joyce unlikable the game would be a lot shallower. The way the game frames it rhe player has the choice between bad people pursuing positive organizational goals and good people pursuing negative ones.

Flip evrart and Joyce and it's just communism great; the video game, and one dimensional

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 13, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

wizard2 posted:

Lurking this thread for pro tips, tricks, strats. It's extremely helpful to finally grasping the depth of this game, especially recent Joyce chat. .

The pro strat build is to start with either 5 5 1 1 or 4 5 1 1 (you can go 5 4 1 2 or 4 6 1 1 or w/e but you gwt the idea). Then you make sure to get boring cop thought first (raises your caps to 3 across the board), then you take Art Cop and wompty dompty Dom center, maxing encyclopedia and conceptualization. Do it right an you can max out almost everything and turn your brain into a cacophony choir.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Pro tip: you can have Kim wear the jacket to the island by waiting to put the ftw jacket on for the first time until after the tribunal

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Snuffman posted:

:siren: Fill that Horrific Tie shaped hole in your life with a Horrific Tie. :siren:

I wear this to work fairly often and *routinely* get compliments on it

Not horrible enough

I think the color variety and contrast means it goes well with a lot of outfits

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 8, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Orange Devil posted:

So as great as the tribunal is, this might be the part of it where the 'game as medium' is at it's weakest.

From Harry's perspective, he's likely going to wonder for the rest of his life whether there was something he could have done differently to prevent the deaths that take place, and he's never going to know the answer, and he's going to have to carry that poo poo and live with it. If this had been a well-written book or movie the audience would be in the same uncertainty. But we as players get to replay, ask others who played or dig into the code to know for a certainty that we "got the best possible outcome".

I actually think that adds to the story in a way. The *player* can have peace of mind while also knowing that the character doesn't. Which lets the player realize: hey, maybe I've also done the best I could have sometimes?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the fuckup is letting a heavily armed death squad infiltrate the neighborhood and then just kinda watching as they set up for a mass killing, not everything that happened once they got all ready and started murdering people, which went about as well as it reasonably could.

Or, you know, wasting the three days you spent on a drinking binge before the game starts.

It's Harry's fault but he's still doing the best he possibly can from the moment he wakes up at the start of the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think I ever found another thought even close to Art Cop in terms of brokenness. I just finished the game and had something like 10 unused skill points.

Encyclopedia with wompty domty dom is close. You can build for both fairly easily in the same run.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Caufman posted:

The handgun is not Kras Mazov's preferred weapon. The sausage grinder is.

Political power comes out the barrel of a belle-margrave

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s just Sea Power now.

Also i previously said the sequel should be named Jamrock Shuffle but I’ve reconsidered. You should play as a paledriver and the game should be titled Motorway South

Disco II: Aerostatic Boogaloo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
My iconic game moments worth doing a replay for:

1) the culmination of the necktie's narrative at the tribunal if you've made all the passive checks talking with it all along

2) speaking with La Revacholiere

3) the ferris wheel

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Getting around to playing this, choice paralysis strikes at signature skill selection. I've read Inland Impire was better for re-playthroughs, so as a smart sensitive weak klutz, I'm thinking maybe Drama, if only because I used to be an actor. Maybe Empathy?

The fact that everywhere says there are no wrong choices has not helped lol

Any build works fine so long as you make sure to set your physical stat to 1 and then grab the tie immediately at the start of the game.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Best use of signature is to get a bonus health or morale point while setting the relevant stat to 1, so you start with 2.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

dmboogie posted:

if the tie doesn’t talk to you the first time you get it down from the fan, you’ll never hear from it for the rest of the game - same goes if you ever take the tie off

You can take the tie off. You just have to have it on at all the right triggers and you'll likely miss one if you aren't wearing it all the time
The first trigger is a passive check in the first convo with garte.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I'm fairly certain you don't need the passive triggers so long as you haven't actually taken the tie down- getting it down was one of the last things I did on my first playthrough before the point of no return, and I was able to use it at the tribunal just fine.

What the gently caress

How did you play the game without your friend

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What does the tie do at the tribunal?

friendship hath no tie greater than this

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I tell new players to set their physical stat to 1 and reach for the tie first thing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
What I tell friends is

1) first time playing, set your physical stat to 1 and reach for the tie immediately

2) don't skip the crytpid side quest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

Someone just told me Helen Hindpere was fourteen when she started writing for DE???? And (allegedly) that this is why all the kids sound so plausibly kid-like.

Her LinkedIn says she's been working for za/um for five years. I don't see an age listed but she doesn't look 19.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Know nothing about the game. Are there any "under no circumstances do this" character creation choices?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What I tell friends is

1) first time playing, set your physical stat to 1 and reach for the tie immediately

2) don't skip the crytpid side quest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Sunday friend doesn't believe his own bullshit either, that front is just how he powertrips. He's doing the same lie to your face shtick evrart does.

If there is one person ultimately responsible for all the deaths at the tribunal, it's evrart. Why is he pushing to own the whole terminal now anyway?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

No Dignity posted:

I think it's the person who hired the war crime mercenaries in the first place, personally

Once he took the terminal and ended negotiations, violence was inevitable. Joyce is responsible for the form that violence took but she is not the sole cause; violent capitalist reaction was entirely predictable.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cpt_Obvious posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I don't understand this line of thinking at all. If you're going to go through the lens of personal choice, why are Joyce's dismissed?
?

Joyce's choices aren't dismissable, they're just separate and distinct. Everyone has responsibility and everyone is guilty (including Harry, who pissed away three days he didn't have).

But Evrart lit the match that started the fire. That doesn't excuse anyone else. It just means we can't excuse Evrart either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sardonik posted:

I would argue Evrart's greatest sin is less seizing the harbor itself, a cool and good thing to do, but more directly explicitly planning on getting a shitload of his own people killed in the reprisal. I wouldn't consider the latter a forgone conclusion of the former.

Evrart recognizes that the price of freedom will be blood. He's not wrong about that. The question is whether that makes him a good or a bad person.

I mean you start a war you're going to be piling up bodies. You *should* recognize that going in. Evrart does and he starts the war anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Look everything that Harry perceives is totally real

The mrlbg is as real as Harry's ability to teleport to the top of the feld building

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Orange Devil posted:

I mean Kim is not a very good person so this checks out.

He is a nice person, however.

If Kim isn't a good person, who (in the game) is?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mystic Mongol posted:

Bird Nest's Roy. Lena, the Cryptozoologist's wife. Annette is a good girl. Cindy the Skull's doing more practical work to improve the neighborhood than anyone else. Easy Leo. Gaston Martin. Those two dorks in the communard vision quest, once they've been told to stop being jerks to Cindy.

Bird Nest's Roy
-- capitalist, knowingly sold a gun to a mentally ill person

Lena, the Cryptozoologist's wife.
-- little bit racist, hangs out with a fascist

Easy Leo and Annette lack their own agency (due to dementia and juvenility, respectively); they are not evil but they are also not actively *good*.

Cindy the Skull, Egghead and the other Discotheque Kids, and a few other characters are potentially good in response to the player's actions but at the start of the game are either ineffectual or actively harmful (e.g., the music club isn't going to be a music club, it's just drugs).

Kim is, from the start, on his own initiative, actively trying to make the world a better place within the limits of his abilities.

I mean, the real answer is

http://wondermark.com/1k33/

but. nevertheless, Kim has a saint's icon for a reason

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Because that's the symbol for moralism. It is a religion with a church and everything.

Do any other characters in the entire game have a similarly halo'd portrait?

(I don't think any do, but haven't done any checking beyond a quick google, could be wrong)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

persopolis posted:

IIRC, someone in this very thread mentioned a long while ago that the black square is actually how the halo used to be represented in old Orthodox christian iconography.

quote:

Square halos were often used to represent living donors who made possible the execution of a given work of art (namely, a mosaic or a church). Most of the characters we find surrounded by square halos are, in fact, popes and abbots, who commissioned the construction of a church, a public building, or some other work related to liturgical art. These square halos, then, are but an indication of a contemporary figure (with no implication of sanctity attached to them necessarily), to distinguish them from saints who might be accompanying them in the image. In fact, the square shape was understood in Christian art as representing the earth (with its four directions) and earthly existence, as opposed to the circle, understood to be a symbol of infinite existence and, hence, of eternal life.

https://aleteia.org/2019/10/27/there-was-a-time-in-which-square-halos-were-a-thing-in-christian-art/

There's a LOT of art training in the backgrounds of the DE devs, so I'm assuming they'd be aware of this, but that doesn't mean they were necessarily meaning to use the square halo in this fashion. I think the implication is that Jean is your partner but ultimately a lesser man than Kim.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I can see "Harry figured poo poo out first then forgot it again" being a legitimate possible reading of the game's text but the problem with it is that Shivers and Esprit de Corps often seem to clue Harry in to things happening either contemporaneously or in the future.

It certainly is *possible* that Harry figured some stuff out in advance, but it seems more *probable* that he's mildly psychic. Of course, those are non-exclusive options.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

the escape goat posted:

itching to do another playthrough but the buddy I share custody of the PS4 with has it for another week, booo

what are some people’s favorite signature skills? I want to try something totally different this time.

I’ve done Shivers, Inland, Esprit, and Physical Instrument so far.

Doing at least one high encyclopedia run is hilarious and will give you a lot of lore you won't otherwise see.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

They resolved it by... paying themselves back the money they fraudulently took? Jesus Christ.

This was just Kender's lawsuit which was "hey, I should have got a cut of that poo poo" failing, right? The Kurvitz lawsuit to try and get access to the IP still seems to be in place (although might very well fail)

Also, more Kompus quotes, I don't think this guy is capable of saying words without sounding like a sleezy gently caress, is he?

Yeah I'm not believing any one article source about this situation by itself.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The legal drama *is* the unpublished novel

It's extremely meta! Metaaaaa!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TACD posted:

There was a post / article ages ago talking about how there’s 8(?) rules for telling a mystery story and Disco Elysium proudly and deliberately breaks every single one of them… does anybody remember what I’m talking about?

just from google

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/qh92n9/is_disco_elysium_a_fair_play_mystery_the_game/

https://medium.com/@pjjudge/a-spectre-is-haunting-martinaise-why-i-liked-disco-elysiums-disappointing-ending-5cbb4f335e2c

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
But then your name is just Harry not Raphael Ambrosius Costeau

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Planescape: Torment walked so that DE could fly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
In Raymond Chandler's essay "The Simple Art of Murder," he wrote, of Dashiell Hammett's Maltese Falcon

quote:

The Maltese Falcon may or may not be a work of genius, but an art which is capable of it is not 'by hypothesis' incapable of anything. Once a detective story can be as good as this, only the pedants will deny that it could be even better.

That's how I feel about the relationship between Planescape: Torment and Disco Elysium. DE wouldn't exist without P:T breaking the ground first.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

The cosmology of Planescape is shackled to D&D and the idea that it's better than DE's hauntism and pale is ludicrous, although of course that's going to be a matter of taste, because the D&D cosmology is fundamentally kinda dumb.

I believe DE's cosmology ultimately also came from a homebrew d&d campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

sebzilla posted:

I'm sort of glad that Disco is dead.

It was *so* good that even the original team would probably have struggled to hit that high again. And the isolated fragility of one beautiful moment is in itself very disco.

I'll be thinking about this game my whole life, and that's enough.

It died in the most disco possible way: murdered by capitalism

They couldn't have written it better