Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Okay fine I am Keir Starmer, AMA.

whisky or whiskey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Paul.Power posted:

Modern politics: taking Hanlon's Razor* and using it as a shield.

* "Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

The important follow-up to this is "Sufficiently advanced stupidity can only come from malice."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry, "the maze"? Not heard that one before.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

still not really following, sorry

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

some day Matt Hancock will be prime minister of whatever the surviving bits of this benighted country are calling themselves

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

the Phillip formerly known as Prince

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Millar's a nice guy in and of himself. He's also become decidedly less edgelordy as he got older; all the poo poo people (justly) rag on him for is ten years back at this point. On the other hand he did support Leave, so you can bash on him for that.

So he's still a complete shithead, he just got less interesting about it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

as a 5'2" man, gently caress height chat. you absolute bastards moping around going "oh woe is me I'm 5'6, I'm so short", gently caress off

Ms Adequate posted:

Willie Rennie!

no 'e won't

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

He went pretty hard against Corbyn on Twitter, which was very disappointing. I don't know how you can read The Thick of It as anything but a condemnation of Blairism and a yearning for politics with actual ideology.

You know how we all thought Malcolm wasn't supposed to be a hero? What if he actually was all along?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There is not one single character representing the left in TToI. The closest it gets is the couple of times angry members of the public get involved. Even Yes, Prime Minister at least had an episode with a cartoonishly out of touch union leader.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's that service that leats you dodge needing an account to read things?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mebh posted:

Yeah but that's the maddening thing. They'll never just randomly lose it. Not in any way that they fear. Obviously nasty poo poo happens but illness and natural disasters are not exactly what they're posting on Facebook about.

It's just so mind numbingly sad and petty.

Here's the way I see it. Everyone has a certain preferred level of risk - not just maximum, but baseline. We all know about people who just aren't happy unless their lives are in danger. Well, these people are living an almost completely risk free life, and it's killing them inside. They're too spineless to do something worthwhile and too sensible to do something stupid, so they grasp at anything that might tell them they're in danger. Every weird mark is a threat from the Romanian mafia, every teenager not currently in motion is casing the house, every teenager that is moving must be fleeing the scene.

I think that's why middle class parents fixate on their children's lives too, your kid could get a bad grade and oh my god that will RUIN THEIR LIFE FOREVER

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Anyone who chooses to live in the suburbs, rather than in the inner city where all the fun stuff happens is going to be pretty risk-averse by default.

Not necessarily. I'm sure this thread of all places can understand the concept of people being pushed into situations where they're not actually happy by cultural pressure.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So, there IS a point to Sir PlankOfWood after all!

As someone on Facebook commented: is this the new 'power point' instead of the 'power stance'.
I wonder if both could be combined?

Wouldn't that add up to a Megatron pose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Checks out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!